As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PTA] (Encore OOC) Rung by a crazy man.

DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Critical Failures
Hi players, this is our new OOC thread. This is in preparation for when our first thread, which will be the IC thread, gets cluttered with things like combat and rolls and all that. Please place any in-game posts in the IC thread, located here.

The Introduction
Hello, my friends, and welcome to the world of Pokemon!
800px-Pt_Sinnoh.png

This world is inhabited by creatures known as Pokemon, who are as numerous as they are unique.
abandonedrooftop.jpg

To some they are mere pets…
PokemonPets.jpg

To others, they grant convenience in their everyday lives…
PokemonConvenience.jpg

Yet, more than those reasons, humans are well-known for using Pokemon as their proxies in combat with one another. They call themselves Pokemon Trainers, too weak to rely on their own strength.
PokemonProxies.jpg

That is the world you are entering, my friends. A world full of wonder and adventure, strife and tragedy, heroes and villains. What fate awaits you, I wonder?

Oh, who am I? Well, my identity is unimportant, for now, but I'm sure we'll meet soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Rules
And what’s this?
This is a play-by-post game using the Pokemon Tabletop Adventure (PTA) rules. The players will be assuming the roles of Pokemon trainers from all walks of life, including Researchers, Coordinators, Psychics, Ace Trainers, and several other specialties.

Aren’t there already three other threads running this game?

Yup, and by assumed popular demand, now there’s a fourth.

How do you join?
If you can post at least once daily, you’re welcome to submit a character. Please keep in mind that while there is a once-per-day minimum on posting, you’re encouraged to post more than that. The pace of the story will be determined by the availability of the players; there are very few times when I’m not near a computer.

How many players are you going to take on?

Eh, I don’t know, probably five or six. Maybe more, we’ll see.

Game Rules
Here are compiled notes of many of the game’s rules, put together by Marshmallow. There are files on the main rules of character creation, class features, and information concerning how the various abilities of Pokemon are used in-game.

The first three will be the most important for character creation.

Main Rules
Meet the Classes
Main Features List
Extra Class/Advanced Features List
Items List
Pokemon Abilities List
Pokemon Capabilities List
Pokemon Moves List

Along with creating the stats of your character, be sure to create their backstory and pick their starter. Acceptable starting Pokemon are those that evolve at least once and are capable of learning at least a couple decent moves. If the Pokemon in question is something really rare and/or powerful (concerning type, starting movelist, etc) there had better be a very believable reason why the character has it. If you pick a Pokemon whose starting movelist isn’t very combat-worthy (Abra comes to mind), then I will provide Egg or TM moves to give them a fighting chance.

The creators of previous PTA threads included lists of example potential starters, separated by region. I won’t include them here, but you’re welcome to check the OP of their threads to see the lists.

Starting items will differ slightly from character to character, but for a baseline let’s assume everyone begins with 5 Poke Balls, 1 Great Ball, 3000 Pokedollars (you can spend this money buying items during character generation), travel supplies (clothes, something to sleep in, etc), and things that fit their character (personal items or tools of their trade). Things for the last category should be within reason.

Please include a list of non-legendary Pokemon you would like your character to encounter during the game (No more than 10, please).

This game system is based off the Pokemon Manga more than the anime or games, just like the other PTA games in the forum. I’m going to quote notsoy from the CF Leftovers thread because he pretty much hits the nail on the head for the explanation of what this means both for the story setting and the in-game rules:
notsoy wrote:
What this means is that the world as a whole is much more dangerous than you may be thinking. Wild Pokémon and unsavory fellows alike will be all too happy to attack en masse, or to attack you instead of waiting to see the Pokémon you send out...unless you defuse the situation before it comes to that, of course. And if things go south and you go down, let’s hope your teammates can bail you out…or that you pass the saving throw against death.

Furthermore, PTA standard for settings is a required minimum age of 18-21+ in order to receive a Trainer's license. This means that anybody who is currently licensed as a Pokemon trainer is at least that age, including the Gym Leaders and almost anybody at a Pokemon Gym. After all, what kind of sick fucks would let their 10-year old kids muck around in the wilds near untamed monsters, especially when two-foot tall rats can bite through concrete?

PTA contains the structures and rules to do most anything you normally do in a Pokémon video game – trade, battle, explore, capture, breed, etc. There are also tons of other things to do in the PTA framework – depending on your class, you can tinker with or create special Poke Balls (among other things), teach Pokémon moves they normally couldn’t learn, temporarily befriend wild mons and use them seamlessly as allies of the moment, or many other things. Speaking of which, one such feature is that your Pokémon have innate capabilities that can provide much utility, often subsuming the need for the video games’ HMs as travel devices – between a Blastoise and Metagross, you can rip obstructive trees out of the ground, traverse the seas and skies in style, and push or break any rocks that get in your way without needing specific moves for those tasks.

What about the location and setting?
The story is set in the Sinnoh region (from the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum games), approximately three years after the events of said games occurred.
With summer having just started, there has been a region-wide announcement of a monument unveiling at Lake Verity, near Twinleaf Town. This is part of a special joint effort by the Sinnoh Pokemon League and the Sinnoh Historical Society to “keep the legends of our home fresh in the hearts and minds of the young and old alike.” There will be similar events at both Lake Valor and Lake Acuity at the same time, a simultaneous unveiling of three new monuments.
To prevent the events from being glossed over by the general public, all the players involved have orchestrated the announcement of several “side-events” that will be happening alongside the unveilings: Pokemon contests, trainer tournaments, technology expos, and special shows hosted by various well-known celebrities. To drum up even more excitement, they've taken to calling it the Guardians' Festival.
While the unveilings have garnered some attention, the side-events have fostered an overwhelmingly positive response. With something for practically anyone whose life deals with Pokemon, the Guardians' Festivals will, without a doubt, draw in huge crowds from across the whole region.

If you have any questions concerning anything about the game, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Also, thanks to notsoy for the quote and thanks to Marshmallow for all the information together so we could play this game in the first place.

Players
Carnarvon: Brayek Hardmann, Researcher/Male/20, Aron/Male/Careful (Stottol)
Sir Fabulous : Sedo Tutaminis, Psychic/Male/48, Male/Pineco/Relaxed (I hate you)
Rawkking Goodguy: Clyde Ermyne Hemmet, Coordinator/Male/18, Male/Chatot (Expo)
Lucedes: Emelia Linsett, Breeder/Female/17, Male/Mareep/Calm (The Fuzz)
Hippie: Arden Drake, Ranger/Male/26, Male/Munchlax/Jolly (Tiny)
Marshmallow: "Zee" Heuvalmans, Researcher/Male/19, Female/Torchic/Impish (Celsius)
notsoy: Ken Smithson, Breeder/Male/20, Shroomish/Male/Jolly (Spore Man)
Lemminghead: Felicia Astor, Ranger/Female/19, Ralts/Female/Modest (Shira)

Chronicle of the game posts here

Also, if anyone wants to communicate with me over IM you can reach me at DJP3710@aol.com. Contact me if you've got any questions.

DJP3710 on

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First lol!

I'm sorry I couldn't help myself.

In the event someone posts before I finish typing. Sedo will kill you slowly...

And for actual game related stuff. I might be a bit inactive for a little while. I'll try to make 1 post a day but I might miss it sometimes.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fair enough, though things are about to pick up.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay, well anyway, roster shake-up aside, let's tally!

Shore- Sedo, Brayek, Felicia, Ken (I'm assuming)

Contest Stage- Zee, Clyde

Hippie and Lucedes, just waiting on you guys.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You did only say one post a day, so don't be too impatient just because the rest of us are overenthusiastic : )

So are we pretty much doing all OOC posts here? Standard rules and all?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, for the time being, standard rules on posting OOC.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ooh, exciting! i am really enjoying this game and it hasn't gotten started yet! :D

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You did only say one post a day, so don't be too impatient just because the rest of us are overenthusiastic : )

Except that both Hippie and Lucedes are both on hurryupguysmaekpoastalready! :P

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sorry, i'm in and out all day today, and about to leave once again. I'll try make a post with my friends iphone on the way.

I must admit, i'm not used to starting a game and having my character know no one.

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Except that both Hippie and Lucedes are both on hurryupguysmaekpoastalready! :P

My computer is always on and logged in regardless of if i'm there or not :P

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well played Hippie.

Well played.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For knowing other characters, you can always craft something up on the fly, OOC thread is a good place to make plans with other players for tactics, having them know each other previously, that sorta thing.

I was tickled pink when Goodguy had his character recognize mine, for instance. It's good to have a notorious character 8-).

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    maybe a notoriously bad character heh

AIbEiAIAAABECOfgvIS4lp-03wEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKigxNzFmYTUyM2Q1ODcyYjkxODg1ZTJlYjZlZjcxZjRjMWYyNjU1ZGNkMAEi7h014C_TOYj92M908UDR-nBeDw

Squall on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I hope I was right in assuming that Zee seems like someone who must be a very good coordinator on his blog, due to tactful omission of your actual contest events or something :P

If not then Clyde just skimmed over all the blog posts you made describing your contests, being inattentive and eager to just learn coordinating skills.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No pressure, Hippie, feel free to just say where your guy is, if you want. You can work on a post when you're not being rushed.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    His blog is pretty useful I guess. Being a researcher he's got a lot of knowledge about it, recognizes all the moves and tactics and styles. Problem is, like Wolf General noted, he follows none of his own advice at all. The blog is just a repository for what he'd consider normal, "uninspired" coordinating, ie. the kind of coordinating that will actually win you contests as opposed to just horrifying everyone in attendance.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Manged a post saying where my guy is, have to cook now, check back later.

Hippie on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sorry! Please no killing!

Stressful, long day at work.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Story post coming up, folks.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ooh, i love it!

hey lucedes and hippie, i was gonna go bother you guys but then the poast came up. we should chat!

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wolf General. You are wonderful. I like the amount of detail/effort you put into this game. Carry on.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    that is amazing. you are amazing.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Second part is up. It's not quite as...majestic....

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Emelia is... well... and The Fuzz... they're not really action heroes.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Are the Pierrots any place in particular (or shown where they are on the screen) or are they just randomly scattered around the festival to find?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Three in front of the screens near the monument, two standing on the Contest stage. Essentially they are presented to accept the challenge. The other ones are currently occupying the Gym Leaders, Champion, and the other really strong trainers.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Back, caught up, and wow, things just got real.

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    wolf those were some top notch posts :^:

Squall on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What will motivate Clyde, Johto native, to save the monuments, save the people.

hmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

PM sent to Wolf G. Also seconding the great poasts :^:

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    By the way, just so it's here:

Shore Team
    Ken
    Brayek
    Felicia
    Sedo
    Arden
    Emelia

Contest Team
    Zee
    Clyder

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Way to leave us facing 2 of the clowns on our own, jerks.

Time for an Indy Ploy.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Let's do something awesome. Shall I start or you?

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [strike]Let's discuss this in PMs. I've got some ideas.[/strike]

I mean we're just making this up as we go! /sunglasses

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    By the way, thanks for all the compliments, everyone.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [strike]Let's discuss this in PMs. I've got some ideas.[/strike]

I mean we're just making this up as we go! /sunglasses

Pierce the heavens with our drill (peck)!

Kamina_Croagunk.jpg

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dammit Marshmallow! I went blind from the awesomeness!

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    goddamnit marsh

Squall on
  • Options
    notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of "Pierce the heavens"

Ken is losing his mind to the Frothing Rage of Justice™

Wonder if there's a way to branch out into Berserker or Paladin

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's going to take every bit of restraint in my body to avoid having clyde shout "DO YOU KNOW WHO THE HELL I AM?" now.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But Rawkking -- why would you ever do such a thing?

Restraining yourself is for someone who will never PIERCE THE HEAVENS

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    New title for IC thread up, and another story post upcoming, too.

DJP3710 on