Options

Same gamertag on multiple 360 consoles?

ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod.Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Here is my predicament:

I have a 360. My friend has a 360. Recently, when I was over at his house playing, I thought to myself, "Hey, rather than play as a Guest all the time, how about I just use my own Gamertag? That way I'll get any achievements I might score in games, and it's cooler not having to be a damned Guest all the time." So I signed in as ElJefffe, waited for the gamer profile to download, played as me, and all was well.

Until I went back home, and tried to log in, and found that it had unloaded my profile from my 360, and I had to retrieve it again. Which is somewhat inconvenient.

Is there a way to use my gamertag on a different machine that doesn't involve me to spend 5 minutes retrieving my tag all the time?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think thats what the memory card is for.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Substance6Substance6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Yeah. I think it has to do with protecting the Live Arcade games from being transfered Xbox to Xbox? I'm not exactly sure.

Substance6 on
    bill.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    Substance6 wrote:

Yeah. I think it has to do with protecting the Live Arcade games from being transfered Xbox to Xbox? I'm not exactly sure.

Really? They think that an extra 5 minutes of hassle would really prevent someone from transferring an arcade game to a different machine and saving $5? Or can those arcade games not be used if I'm not currently logged in as the gamertag that purchased them?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Isn't it possible to send the gamertag over Live? My brother and I share the same gamertag on different consoles, so it's perfectly possible.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:

<snip>

Or can those arcade games not be used if I'm not currently logged in as the gamertag that purchased them?

That's where they have you by the ballsack.

PS: Don't let your 360 crap out on you, or you have to log into the internet to play a live arcade game. OLOL!! Digital Rights 4 teh wiN!

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You can't copy your profile anywhere, you have to move it. I assume, as mentioned, this is to keep you from copying your ID to 15 people's 360s and allowing them to play or use any purchased material from the marketplace done under that ID. So, you choices are to move it to a memory card and take that with you, or keep doing the recovery thing . . .

*edit: I saw your post before I submitted. Content purchased from the marketplace is tied to both the 360 it was purchased on, as well as your ID. If your ID is not on a machine, and that machine was not used when you originally purchased the content, then that content will not be available.

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jules wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

<snip>

Or can those arcade games not be used if I'm not currently logged in as the gamertag that purchased them?

That's where they have you by the ballsack.

PS: Don't let your 360 crap out on you, or you have to log into the internet to play a live arcade game. OLOL!! Digital Rights 4 teh wiN!
    MS can help you fix that problem

the alternative is piracy which isn't good for anyone

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    *edit: I saw your post before I submitted. Content purchased from the marketplace is tied to both the 360 it was purchased on, as well as your ID. If your ID is not on a machine, and that machine was not used when you originally purchased the content, then that content will not be available.

Ah, that makes sense.

Okay, I guess my question was answered, and I suppose I can understand the reasons behind this system, even if it's somewhat unfortunate. Ah, well.

ElJeffe on