Options

Book Group Formats

Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
H&A -

A bunch of my friends and I have all held an interest for Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series and decided it would be fun to read the series as a group. We'd like to set up some sort of book group as we go along but none of us have ever been in one so we're trying to figure out a format.

A few questions for those who who have participated in groups in the past:

* Do you read the whole book and then meet to discuss, or do you "assign" chapters and read it more piecemeal?

* Are there any good websites that have questions we can use to jump start discussions?

* Anything else we should be aware of?

Just trying to get the most of the experience, so any suggestions on format or anything else that would make this fun would be great.

Thanks!

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
Idx86 on

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here's my suggestion- Pick a book that doesn't suck.

I'm only partially kidding. I don't think anyone is going to argue that Dark Tower is King's best written work, but it's certainly his most epic. Thing is, dude started writing and plotting it back when he was a teenager, and at least in the first book(which is as far as I got) it shows in some places. Make sure that everyone knows what they're getting into so you don't have tons of people dropping out.

But anyways, on to your questions;

It really depends on everyone's time. I mean, you could meet only once a month, which should be plenty of time for everyone to finish the book. The good thing on that is that that wasy you ensure you have a lot to talk about. Assigning chapters might not give enough 'meat'.

In regards to Dark Tower, I don't know, but I'm sure if you google you'll get tons of hits. It's connected-sometimes heavily, sometimes just barely- to tons of his other work, so that's another good avenue to in ifyou want. You could also watch movies/read short stories of stuff that influenced the Dark tower.

Assign someone to be in charge. I think you're already down that path, but make sure you have questions. Only use them when there is a lull in the conversation though.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    machosasquatchomachosasquatcho Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the audio books rock... especially the Frank Muller ones

machosasquatcho on