As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Leonardo Di[chat]rio x Joseph [chat]on-Levitt

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    16joseph-450.jpg

"Momma didn't have time to help me dress this morning."

Echo on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    If it was anyone but Sarks (and Senj and Ellie and and and...) I'd repost SNSD [chat] and win by a landslide. But I won't. Here's your moment to shine, Nite Owl.

No, you wouldn't win.

This is a slashfiction thread now.

I have no need for slash any more.

Worst comes to worst, I can always make Mori dance while snapping a whip at his heels.
    who are you and what have you done with Mori?

Bama on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    although re: inception the things I didn't care for
    making it so you could for real die in the dream. I liked at first that they weren't going for the 'if you die in the dream you die in real life' trope. If any of them died or were kicked out of the dream prematurely it would risk the inception failing and so cobb would lose everything, that probably would have been high enough stakes for me.

The fact that cobb would bring everyone into such a risky situation without telling them makes his character either unlikable or unbelievable.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    one or more of your avatar images is broken, Rivs

Server's down.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    If it was anyone but Sarks (and Senj and Ellie and and and...) I'd repost SNSD [chat] and win by a landslide. But I won't. Here's your moment to shine, Nite Owl.

No, you wouldn't win.

This is a slashfiction thread now.

I have no need for slash any more.

Worst comes to worst, I can always make Mori dance while snapping a whip at his heels.
    who are you and what have you done with Mori?

Oh Bama. So much I must tell you.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    Fluffy, you would love the sounds I make every time you post a JG-L picture. It involves me gasping in something between surprise and perhaps pain, and grabbing at the edge of the table.

Guh!

Possibly followed by the finger bite.

ffffffffff the finger bite!

and you're reminding me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWmZeuKgbR0

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    inception is a pretentious movie that tries to intimidate the viewer with complexity and tries to act as if it understands how humans work

It was a simple and stylish heist movie based on a a few layers of action happening at once. How far out of your way did you have to go to interpret it as pretentious or trying to intimidate the viewer with complexity?

They tippy-toe past someone's brain security a few times and everyone wears nice clothes amidst action movie tropes.

And jesus, 8 1/2? C'mon.

desc on
  • Options
    EllieEllie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    making it so you could for real die in the dream. I liked at first that they weren't going for the 'if you die in the dream you die in real life' trope. If any of them died or were kicked out of the dream prematurely it would risk the inception failing and so cobb would lose everything, that probably would have been high enough stakes for me.

The fact that cobb would bring everyone into such a risky situation without telling them makes his character either unlikable or unbelievable.
    But
    They wouldn't die. (If I'm understanding what you're referring to.) They would just go into limbo, where they would be stuck for a very long time, and risk losing themselves along the way while they waited for either the kick, or convinced themselves that the only way out was death.

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    inception is chris nolan's 8 1/2

oh god

8 1/2 is one of the greatest films of all time which is deeply involved with the fragmented modern condition which is fully conscious of all that it doesn't know

inception is a pretentious movie that tries to intimidate the viewer with complexity and tries to act as if it understands how humans work

I don't think it tries to intimidate

I dunno, because it has such a faulty conception of mind and brain-states, it was hard for me to come to terms with the movie. And when I was looking for why there was tension, I was just met with aggression from the director: all these freudian secrets are being held, but blocked somehow by behavioral swat teams, which were all swarming around at different levels (?) of dreams (?), and then I tried to latch on to the characters, but they were all woefully undeveloped, with no identified cathartic goal in sight, so we just had all this visceral sturm und drang storming around, pulling me along -- don't get me wrong, the movie is a pretty good as a heist film and is definitely tense -- but I didn't understand why I was being pulled along, I felt that I myself was abducted, and there was no payoff in the end. Especially with that downright insulting last shot.

Really? You didn't feel any catharsis at the penultimate scene?
    The entire movie was a tense ride and then I felt a palpable release when they awoke in the plane. I'm sort of boggled that you didn't.

and I felt the last shot was only insulting if you let be as simple as
    oh wow maybe's he's dreaming or maybe he's not!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Inception is a movie only a philosophy major could hate.

I don't understand what this means.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

But
    They wouldn't die. (If I'm understanding what you're referring to.) They would just go into limbo, where they would be stuck for a very long time, and risk losing themselves along the way while they waited for either the kick, or convinced themselves that the only way out was death.
    that's still too close to dying though. they risked losing their minds forever or whatever

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Re: the risk
    Cobb didn't there would be any risk of someone dying, since Arthur's investigation of Fischer hadn't revealed that his subconscious was trained to defend against extractors. True, Cobb should have still mentioned the possibility, but he didn't know it was actually going to be dangerous until they were already in the dream.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Inception is a movie only a philosophy major could hate.

I don't understand what this means.
    HatesInception(A) => PhilosophyMajor(A)

Bama on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Must ... develop ... motivation ... to clean house.

So lazy.

desc on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ahahaha. What the hell is this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWomxDTXrU

Echo on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    guys, I swear to god, shut the hell up about inception outside of spoilers

jesus, consideration

The movie's only been out for a few days

uggggggh

Tav on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn, Bama, you don't post here enough.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »

Cobb didn't there would be any risk of someone dying, since Arthur's investigation of Fischer hadn't revealed that his subconscious was trained to defend against extractors. True, Cobb should have still mentioned the possibility, but he didn't know it was actually going to be dangerous until they were already in the dream.
    that's still cobb just being an asshole. a low probability of having your mind erased is still something you should tell your potential team mates about.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    joseph-gordon-levitt-3-0609-lg-163248.jpg

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    @Eddy:
    it was cathartic, in the way that a wagnerian prelude or a french house song will be cathartic purely by visceral reaction. But with the former, there is also a conceptual buildup that relies on more than just natural sonic tension and release. However, I didn't actually care about any of the characters because they were so flat. The son? Why should I care about him and his daddy issues? Why should I care about Leo's character when all I know about him are kids and a wife? And ellen paige's character is just flat out terrible. So the only real catharsis, in my opinion, just comes from the release of a buildup of tense images.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

But
    Yeah, it might make you lose your mind, but it wouldn't outright kill you. Kind of worse, imo, I liked the idea.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Damn, Bama, you don't post here enough.
    I am now informed.

Also, yes.

Bama on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

that's still cobb just being an asshole. a low probability of having your mind erased is still something you should tell your potential team mates about.
    Oh definitely. But Cobb was always a bit of an asshole, and that particular omission didn't make him unlikeable or irredeemable to me.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright, guys, I'm going to get my face mangled. Peace.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    guys, I swear to god, shut the hell up about inception outside of spoilers

jesus, consideration

The movie's only been out for a few days

uggggggh
    You think this is bad?

Some fucker snuck into my dream and spoiled it for me.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    YO DAWGS KEEP THAT SHIT SPOILERED TAV HASN'T SEEN IT YET

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wagnerians preludes are the opposite of cathartic. they're there to build tension. that's what a PRElude is for. I have no fucking clue how a "french house song" could be cathartic.

You always say that word. Maybe it does not mean what you think it means.

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    don't make me cut you guys off with my lightcycle guys
    don't think i wont turn this bike 90 degrees

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PaperPritt wrote: »
    wagnerians preludes are the opposite of cathartic. they're there to build tension. that's what a PRElude is for. I have no fucking clue how a "french house song" could be cathartic.

You always say that word. Maybe it does not mean what you think it means.

Wrong...thread?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010

Yup. Everyone here is big fans of shitty K-pop.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jesus, I can either tank on my mid-30's druid and have, like, three abilities and only have to really use one or I can tank on my mid-60's warrior and have a dozen abilities that I have to use to even have a chance of holding aggro over the dps.

There needs to be a middle ground, here.

Bama on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tGtyz.jpg

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Ahahaha. What the hell is this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWomxDTXrU

The latest Honda commercial?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Inception talk in [chat] again. Blehhhhhh

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jesus, I can either tank on my mid-30's druid and have, like, three abilities and only have to really use one or I can tank on my mid-60's warrior and have a dozen abilities that I have to use to even have a chance of holding aggro over the dps.

Erm. Is a Druid even supposed to be a tank?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's Spore! But GRIMDARK!

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    It's Spore! But GRIMDARK!

Isn't Spore supposed to be total ass?

Drez on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Play a Paladin and have a nice rotation?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Erm. Is a Druid even supposed to be a tank?

Bear form. Also useful for getting laid.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    EllieEllie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Oh, most definitely, Cobb was an asshole. And Ariadne was calling him on it nigh constantly. All "WTF? You can't just do that! These people trust you!" But I like how flawed Cobb was in that respect. And the more we learn about him via the dream Ariadne invades, and when she and him go to limbo to retrieve Fischer, he just kind of... He came together for me, and the character worked.

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.