As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Found a subletter: Now what?

Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, found a guy who wants my place.

He's going to bring the cash up front tomorrow. He seems like an alright guy, neither here nor there on the desirability scale. He's 24 and told us a bit about himself.

Right now I'm just a little stressed at handing over the keys to a total stranger. It's not the guy in particular, I think it's just that I have to do this at all.

What can I do to cover my ass? Ask for ID? Get his drivers liscence number or medicare card number? (Canada). I don't want to write up a full blown subletter lease, because he's paying the two months up front and I don't feel it is necessary.

What information is reasonable and maybe excepted for me to ask for from him?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey Ashtray on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah get his various numbers, including phone number and any ID numbers he has

remember to keep a copy of the keys, and tell him you're doing it

there are also a bunch of sites around that you can do really quick backround checks on / see if they've ever been in jail nearby

Raneados on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know, a written contract seems like a much better idea. In fact if I was the one paying cash up front I would demand one, after all you could just lock him out and it would just be his word against yours. Remember as much as you might want to be civil this is a business relationship first.

It might seem like a move a silly goose would do however it is very important to have these things clearly stated, in writing, especially if you do not have a history with them. If this was your best friend from grade-school through college I would say, still, make a written lease agreement or whatever.

Also you should possibly do a background check, they can be expensive but may have useful info. Major corporations do them, why not you? And if it turns up something he didn't tell you, wouldn't you be happier to know that. You could even get a background check on yourself and give it to him to keep it an even playing field. They might be a little pricey and finding a good company is hard, but why not?

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i assumed he already had a full written contract

i hope he does

Raneados on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    i assumed he already had a full written contract

i hope he does

It looks like the guy is staying there for 2 months and paying for it all up front so the OP doesn't think a lease is necessary.

I would stay still make one. It will cover your ass if he destroys your place. It will cover his ass if you decide to be a dick and kick him out. It lets you both know where you stand and whats going on. I'm sure you can find a template online that is fill in the blanks fairly quickly.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    always put everything in writing!

Raneados on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Put it in writing
    It can be simple, but for your own sake PUT IT IN WRITING

the names, dates, money and whatever the dealio is.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i mean, god forbid, anything were to go wrong

HAVE IT IN WRITING

signed, dated, all that

just so you can point to it and say "judge, here is some fucking proof he was supposed to pay _____ and not destroy _____"

Raneados on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doing without a lease is a terrible idea

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys, found a guy who wants my place.

He's going to bring the cash up front tomorrow. He seems like an alright guy, neither here nor there on the desirability scale. He's 24 and told us a bit about himself.

Right now I'm just a little stressed at handing over the keys to a total stranger. It's not the guy in particular, I think it's just that I have to do this at all.

What can I do to cover my ass? Ask for ID? Get his drivers liscence number or medicare card number? (Canada). I don't want to write up a full blown subletter lease, because he's paying the two months up front and I don't feel it is necessary.

What information is reasonable and maybe excepted for me to ask for from him?

It's necessary.

Monoxide on