As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wrestling: William Regal does a Creepily Accurate Goldust Impression

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    speaking of i should go preorder the game now so i can get a guaranteed La Parka mask

might as well preorder two so i can get one for crwth

!!!!!!!!

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    crwth wrote: »
    man this whole week has been hectic for me

i missed all kindsa rasslin

did anything happen

lcuha libre airs on MTV2 now and shit be crazy (mini La Parka, Rhaka Khan and her gay crossdressing friend who wears pasties, Rellik)

team Raw trying to destroy each other instead of the Nexus

Smackdown houseshow in Australia where they basically spoiled the fact that
    Dolph Ziggler wins the Intercontinental title next week

Mysterio threw Swagger into the Gulf of Mexico, then Kane chokeslammed Mysterio into said Gulf

and i think that's it

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eli Cottonwood, his mustache and mustache shirt were elminated from NXT

and tomorrow's Raw was taped last week sooooo

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    crwth wrote: »
    speaking of i should go preorder the game now so i can get a guaranteed La Parka mask

might as well preorder two so i can get one for crwth

!!!!!!!!

by "get one for crwth" i mean "get a La Parka mask for crwth"

if you want the game, you gotta beg somebody like tlb

i ain't made out of money

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh that's cool

a la parka mask is all i could ever ask for

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    so i've got until oct 11/12 to preorder the game

if i'm able to preorder it i'll mail it to you crwth

is that ok

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    that is fine

and even if you can't, the thought is very appreciated!

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh shit there's apparently 4 masks up for the preorder offer

masks worn by La Parka, Abismo Negro, Dr. Wagner Jr. and Octagon

linky for awesome photos of said masks

damn all those masks look nice

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do you get to pick what mask you get, or is it whatever Gamestop gives you?

Because I guarantee my local GS is gonna get a crate full of Abismo Negro masks unless I have some say in the matter.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think you get a form to send in for the mask

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    it says right on the game's page on Gamestop.com

if you're preordering it online to be mailed to your house you get Dr. Wagner's mask

if you preorder it online to go to the store or preorder it at the store i think tlb's right

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    KagliciousKaglicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    fuck you all for getting that amazing preorder prize, I want a la parka mask :(

Kaglicious on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    dude none of us have preordered it yet

we got till October 12

chill out bro you got plenty of time to actually preorder it and get a mask

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    KagliciousKaglicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty chill, just annoyed because we don't get anything for preordering, at least from what i've seen :(

Kaglicious on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well that's what you get for being a foreigner

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so

i dont know shit bout wrestlin

but i want to know shit bout wrestlin

what do i, you know

do

to know bout wrestlin

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Start watching Raw, Smackdown, and TNA Impact. If you want a half hour of Replays and rookies watch NXT and Superstars. If you want LUCHA! Watch AAA: Lucha Libre Masked Heros

Things to know:
    No one wins when you play the Game
    John Cena plays Jesus rising from the grave at every PPV
    Kane is going to kill Mysterio
    CM Punk is just plain better than you
    Abyss is dating a 2x4 with nails hammered into it
    75% of ECW is now on TNA IMPACT
    Evan Bourne, may look dead, but is in actuallity just broken in half.

...am I forgetting anything?

Oh yeah. White out is a spray on tan for Shamus.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You forgot to tell him that it is perfectly okay to not watch TNA.

Otherwise - just tune into Monday Night RAW and get a feel for the performers. They do a decent job of explaining storylines and showing recaps before certain segments occur. If you get the channel that Friday Night Smackdown comes on (or don't mind using Hulu to watch in full a day later), I'd recommend that too. Reason you want both is that even though RAW and Smackdown are WWE shows, the stars are split between the two. They'll occasionally have a crossover moment/storyline but otherwise you just don't see a good portion of the WWE roster.

If any of the performers catch your attention - the wikipedia pages for them are usually pretty good about breaking down storylines they've been involved in recently. That way you can be up to speed as to why wrestler X would really hate wrestler Y showing up unannounced.

Things you might want to know about on RAW if you were to watch the next episode:

The Nexus - a group of seven dudes who have been just rampaging through the WWE recently. They were all a part of the first season of WWE's show NXT, which is billed as an elimination contest to grant one rookie a WWE contract and PPV title shot. Currently they are scheduled to face a team of 7 superstars that WWE poster boy John Cena has assembled at the upcoming Summerslam PPV. Last week however, it was shown that The Nexus has set ego aside for the purpose of achieving their goals in the WWE, while Cena's group ended the show brawling with each other in the ring due to ego problems and misunderstandings.

The Miz and the red Money in the Bank briefcase - Surely they would explain this I think, but just in case I'll summarize. United States champion The Miz just won RAW's Money in the Bank match at the last PPV. A Money in the Bank match is a multi-competitor ladder match, with a briefcase suspended from the ceiling that contains a contract, stating that whoever wins that match gets a title shot anytime/anywhere they choose within a year of winning the match. He hasn't cashed it in yet, which means that if you see The Miz, you'll see him with a red briefcase. And if you see the WWE champion, keep in mind that at any point that The Miz could come out and cash in his contract.

The Mystery RAW General Manager - The General Manger position on these shows is basically that they can book matches and set rules about how the superstars should behave. In recent weeks, for example, the GM placed a stipulation that any members of the Nexus couldn't harm any WWE stars, and that any WWE stars couldn't harm a member of the Nexus. The penalty for breaking that rule was suspension. The important note about this though is that the GM currently hasn't revealed his/her identity. Instead of making public announcements on camera or in the ring with a mic - he/she sends e-mails to a laptop sitting next to commentator Michael Cole. When an e-mail is received, it for some reason makes all the lights in the arena dim twice while IM notification sounds go off, at which point Michael Cole stands up and reads the email aloud.

Those are fairly drawn out, but just in case you really didn't know anything about it. Worst case scenario, if you're wanting to know about something while watching - just post in here and dudes will gladly fill you in on why something is what it is.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so

i dont know shit bout wrestlin

but i want to know shit bout wrestlin

what do i, you know

do

to know bout wrestlin

At it's best it's basically a complicated fight scene from an action movie or a boxing match from a Rocky sequel shot entirely in one take with a fair amount of improvisation.

At it's worst it makes Botchamania.
    TVTropes[/URL]] Professional Wrestling is usually full of concepts from different types of shows. Each match is roughly choreographed (though not usually in much detail since wrestlers don't have much rehearsal time, let alone for whole matches, given that they wrestle twenty-eight days per month on average—many of a match's details will be improvised). World Wrestling Entertainment's programs remind one of nothing so much as a Soap Opera for guys, complete with all the emotion, melodrama, and occasional comic relief that that phrase implies. Other organizations, such as Ring Of Honor, strive for a more gritty, realistic presentation, but still incorporate many soap opera elements.

The history of pro wrestling is a bit convoluted; until the late '80s/early '90s, promoters claimed that wrestling was a legitimate sport, and attempted to hide the fact that it was scripted at all costs. The truth is the performances are as standardized and stylized as Japanese Kabuki theatre, or commedia dell'arte — each match is a miniature set piece, using stock characters, "plots" and "twists". This has become more obvious in recent years with the increased sense of theatre provided by the major promoters and programs. As more and more wrestling fans grew wise to the fact that wrestling was scripted and choreographed, promoters had no choice but to reveal the secret that everybody already knew by that point anyway. Vince McMahon went so far as to televise a speech on an episode of Monday Night Raw, in which he promised to "stop insulting (fans') intelligence" and referred to Raw as an "action-adventure" series.

However, as many Sit Com plots (and Botchamania) have implied, Professional Wrestling is very real in the sense that mistimed inexperience can leave someone seriously injured. Professional wrestlers are like stuntmen; they're acting out a scene, but physically, and with the chance of injury. And whatever you may have heard, they do hit each other, although their moves are generally designed to seem much more devastating than they are, and they avoid harm whenever they feasibly can without it looking too obvious. A professional wrestler literally puts his life in his opponent's hands several times in a single match; the slightest misstep could result in a broken bone, a broken neck, paralysis, possibly even death. I guess what we're trying to say here is...Dont Try This At Home.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    thanks guys

holy shit theres lucha? lucha is happening?

i am all over that

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lucha is on MTV2 on Fri and sat. I Forget which day is the replay and which is new

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    thanks guys

i am all over that

*Edit*

And remember. RelliK is Killer backwards.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    thanks guys

i am all over that

not only that

it has a miniature La Parka

and Rhaka Khan and her gay crossdressing best friend who enjoys wearing purple women's clothing and putting pasties on his nipples

and Rellik

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man I was a fan of Mini-Parka before you even heard of him

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    no guest hosts for Raw in Aug. or Sept. right now but in October:

Oct. 18
    Bobb'e J. Thompson

Starring alongside Big Show in the upcoming WWE Studios film Knucklehead, which opens October 22, Bobb’e J. Thompson is quite familiar with the kind of over-the-top thrills that can only be found within the WWE Universe. But when the Role Models star visits Raw to serve as guest host, the young comedic actor just might have his hands full.

Thompson’s Knucklehead co-star Mark Feuerstein served as guest host on the June 14 edition of Raw, teaming with The World’s Largest Athlete in tag team action against Ted DiBiase and his then-assistant, Virgil. Will Thompson follow in the footsteps of his on-screen cohort? Tune in to find out.

Alongside Thompson in Knucklehead, Big Show plays Walter Krunk, a church-orphan-turned-amateur fighter who fights his way across the country to compete in a mixed martial arts tournament in New Orleans.

and on Oct 25
    Toby Keith

There has been no small number of cowboy hat-wearing showmen who have made their mark on the WWE Universe, from WWE Hall of Famer “Cowboy” Bob Orton to John “Bradshaw” Layfield to Hall of Fame announcer Jim Ross. But the WWE Universe can add one more legend to those ranks when country music sensation and longtime WWE fan Toby Keith hosts Monday Night Raw.

Celebrating his latest album Bullets in the Gun, which hits store shelves on October 5, Keith – who proclaimed on his breakthrough single that he “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” – will be riding high when he takes the reins of Monday night’s hottest show, live in Green Bay, Wisc.

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Toby Keith gonna put a boot in some ass Oct 25

it's the American way

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just spoke to Dreamer. SABU is confirmed for HardCORE Justice this Sunday.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Can't wait for that botchamania

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Botchamania for HardCORE Justice is going to have to be several episodes in a row.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    hell the botches alone will make up an hour of the PPV

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I wonder how many tables won't break or will break too soon

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mensch only watch TNA if you are curious as to how you should totally not ever run a wrestling promotion

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    you should watch tna if you want to watch the souls of talented performers be crushed each and every week by awful stories and even more awful old wrestlers who ain't spry at all

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    basically the photo i have listed under TNA in the OP is the reason why you should never watch TNA

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    PWI 500 got released: here are the top 10 (bold ones are best ones)

#1 AJ Styles

#2 John Cena

#3 CM Punk

#4 Randy Orton

#5 Chris Jericho

#6 Batista

#7 Shinsuke Nakamura

#8 The Undertaker

#9 Kurt Angle

#10 Sheamus

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    natalya is one diva i can stand watching

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Surprised Batista ranked that high. I guess Douche-tista really was the Best-tista.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    actually Batista was ranked number 1 back in 2005

so Douchetista is the second Best-tista*

Douchetista is still the Best-tista

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    okay, the early skit with edge quitting, then the camera zooming back and showing a smiling jericho appearing out of nowhere right beside cena had me cracking up

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Douchetista is fantastic

I wish he just stayed with the company instead of fucking around in MMA

Zen Vulgarity on
This discussion has been closed.