The Rich and Powerful do what they want, We make a thread, [Leverage season 3 thread]

silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I didn't see a thread about this season up yet so let's get discussing. Standard posting rules, try to spoiler stuff that those overseas may not have seen yet, feel free to speculate, yada, yada.

I personally haven't seen much outside of the new season, a problem I intend to alleviate when I buy the DVDs this weekend:). I didn't know much about the show till the marketing company I work for recently picked up the campaign, and I saw a few show clips, which kinda dominoed the whole experience for me.

Starting the thread with the latest ep:

The Studio Job
I thought the episode was good, the part with the cheesy country western video the mark did in his early career had me in stitches lol. Timothy Hutton was great as usual as well as Aldis Hodge, though seeing him pretend to be a country enthusiast was pretty weird:lol:

For those that don't know the series or aren't caught up, you can check new stuff at TNT's Leverage Site:
Leverage - TNT

silverbuddy on

Posts

  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This show is pretty good.

    But then I'm a dude and as such a sucker for anything heist related.

    HappylilElf on
  • silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User
    edited July 2010
    Lol me too! This show reminds me of the A-Team in it's own way as well as the Ocean's series of movies. I really like the comical elements and the action and how they meld the two fairly well.

    silverbuddy on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The character development is really picking up this season.

    Also, lol militias.

    HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really enjoy this show, despite the fact that Hardison is perhaps the worst examples of techno-babble on the air today. "I'll just translate this neural network into the assembly language of my cell phone and use it to reconfigure the cell tower's signal to make our mark get a busy signal whenever he calls." Ooooookkkkaaayyyy...

    But somehow it works, if only because all of the characters are that ridiculously caricatured.

    This week's episode (the militia one) may have been too unbelievable, even for this show, though. It didn't make a lick of sense for Hardison and Eliot
    to go back to the camp to take on all the militia members with assault rifles, when they had radio communication with the rest of the team. Tell them to call the FBI/ATF/local police. And the cigarette bomb was poorly set up, given that there were still guards around the propane tanks after they were captured.

    On the other hand, Parker's disguise in the Studio Job was inspired.
    Lady Gaga!

    Hedgethorn on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    But somehow it works, if only because all of the characters are that ridiculously caricatured.

    This week's episode (the militia one) may have been too unbelievable, even for this show, though. It didn't make a lick of sense for Hardison and Eliot
    to go back to the camp to take on all the militia members with assault rifles, when they had radio communication with the rest of the team. Tell them to call the FBI/ATF/local police. And the cigarette bomb was poorly set up, given that there were still guards around the propane tanks after they were captured.


    FBI/ATF/local police wouldn't have made it in time, Hardison makes this exact point which is why they decide to do it themselves.

    Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Narian wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    But somehow it works, if only because all of the characters are that ridiculously caricatured.

    This week's episode (the militia one) may have been too unbelievable, even for this show, though. It didn't make a lick of sense for Hardison and Eliot
    to go back to the camp to take on all the militia members with assault rifles, when they had radio communication with the rest of the team. Tell them to call the FBI/ATF/local police. And the cigarette bomb was poorly set up, given that there were still guards around the propane tanks after they were captured.


    FBI/ATF/local police wouldn't have made it in time, Hardison makes this exact point which is why they decide to do it themselves.

    Considering they made it to the bank not ten minutes later, this doesn't make much sense.

    HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Narian wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    But somehow it works, if only because all of the characters are that ridiculously caricatured.

    This week's episode (the militia one) may have been too unbelievable, even for this show, though. It didn't make a lick of sense for Hardison and Eliot
    to go back to the camp to take on all the militia members with assault rifles, when they had radio communication with the rest of the team. Tell them to call the FBI/ATF/local police. And the cigarette bomb was poorly set up, given that there were still guards around the propane tanks after they were captured.


    FBI/ATF/local police wouldn't have made it in time, Hardison makes this exact point which is why they decide to do it themselves.

    Considering they made it to the bank not ten minutes later, this doesn't make much sense.

    Hardison made the assumption that they wouldn't arrive - aka the writers wanted a reason for Hardison and Eliot to kick some redneck ass - it makes complete sense (besides it's a tv show, time doesn't really flow linear)

    Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Narian wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    But somehow it works, if only because all of the characters are that ridiculously caricatured.

    This week's episode (the militia one) may have been too unbelievable, even for this show, though. It didn't make a lick of sense for Hardison and Eliot
    to go back to the camp to take on all the militia members with assault rifles, when they had radio communication with the rest of the team. Tell them to call the FBI/ATF/local police. And the cigarette bomb was poorly set up, given that there were still guards around the propane tanks after they were captured.


    FBI/ATF/local police wouldn't have made it in time, Hardison makes this exact point which is why they decide to do it themselves.

    I'd have to watch it again, but I understood Hardison in that scene as claiming they wouldn't have time to
    ride the train to the nearest town, call the authorities from there, and ensure the authorities would get there in time. Hence my complaint about their ear bud radios.

    Also, when you tell the authorities that you have evidence that someone is making a fertilizer bomb, they tend to respond very quickly. It doesn't take that long to get anywhere by helicopter.

    Hedgethorn on
  • MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have to admit, when I saw the trailers back before the show started, I was unimpressed. Then I watched the first episode on Netflix about a year later and realized it's basically the caper tv show I always wanted.


    One thing I appreciated in recent episodes is writers inserting plot points allowing the actors to do something that they do in real life (Hardison with the violin, Eliot with the country singing).

    This is something I really enjoy watching, along with actors moving across genres (like Colbert being a master forger in a Law and Order episode)

    Malyonsus on
    Live: Malyonsus | PSN: Malyonsus
    Wii: As soon as I look it up.
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Then there is Parker... Every other actress reading for the part read her the usual sexy feme fatale cat burglar. Beth Riesgraf read her as someone with Aspergers disorder.

    And was not the result awsome?

    Just for the record if you ever meet Riesgraf in real life: watch your wallet. The consultant for the show says she is good enough that she could make a living of pick pocketing. Not that I am implying anything.

    Kipling217 on
    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Malyonsus wrote: »
    I have to admit, when I saw the trailers back before the show started, I was unimpressed. Then I watched the first episode on Netflix about a year later and realized it's basically the caper tv show I always wanted.


    One thing I appreciated in recent episodes is writers inserting plot points allowing the actors to do something that they do in real life (Hardison with the violin, Eliot with the country singing).

    This is something I really enjoy watching, along with actors moving across genres (like Colbert being a master forger in a Law and Order episode)

    I need to see this, it sounds fantastic.

    HappylilElf on
  • skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User
    edited July 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    On the other hand, Parker's disguise in the Studio Job was inspired.
    Lady Gaga!

    I thought it was
    Bjork.
    What with the swan and all.

    skyybahamut on
    This signature is for SCIENCE!
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is a pretty enjoyable show. There's always some silly handwaving going on, but it's charming enough to make up for that.

    I really don't like Gina Bellman though. Or maybe it's just the character of Sophie, I dunno. All her fake accents make me cringe.


    What i'm saying is they should dump her and bring back Jeri Ryan full time.

    Aistan on
    steam_sig.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    On the other hand, Parker's disguise in the Studio Job was inspired.
    Lady Gaga!

    I thought it was
    Bjork.
    What with the swan and all.

    Wrong hair color/style.

    Hedgethorn on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They did a Gaga/Bjork mix. Hair/eye makeup was Gaga, but the baby-talk, swan dress, and Icelandic origin was Bjork.

    GungHo on
    "Adios, mofo" -- TX Gov Rick Perry (R)
  • devCharlesdevCharles Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I also enjoy this show a lot. It's great to have a modern type of A-Team show with a bunch of really interesting characters. It has a good sense of self-awareness to when the characters comment on how strange that things seem to bend to the will of Nate.

    A Heist show with a nerdy angle. Yeah, pretty awesome.

    devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know some don't like Sophie, but I rather do... and she looked good in her Baroness outfit tonight..

    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • devCharlesdevCharles Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Attractive women are like magic bullets in running any con or heist.

    devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User
    edited August 2010
    I missed the Boost Job:(

    It should be up on the site soon enough though so I can catch up.

    silverbuddy on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone else think that the Elliot Bullet-Time thing was dumb?

    HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes. But then again everything involving Eliot is dumb. The rest of the characters make up for it usually.

    Joe Dizzy on
  • Fallout2manFallout2man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm really wishing, after the whole wikileaks debacle that Season 4 is Nate vs Bank of America -_-;;

    Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

    Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Also, when you tell the authorities that you have evidence that someone is making a fertilizer bomb, they tend to respond very quickly. It doesn't take that long to get anywhere by helicopter.[/spoiler]

    It's a hell of a lot more convenient for them to arrange a fake bankjob. Because then that avoids the "OH GOD THEY KNOW WHAT WE DO FOR A LIVING WE'RE ALL GOING TO JAIL!" thing.

    Edith Upwards on
Sign In or Register to comment.