As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need New game.

azith28azith28 Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Critical Failures
Currently my gaming group is playing Betrayal at the house on the hill, and they are enjoying it. We tried playing talisman but they werent feeling it.

I was thinking about arkham horror. Is this a reasonably complex game? how close would it be to talisman vs house on the hill?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
azith28 on

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    I was thinking about arkham horror. Is this a reasonably complex game? how close would it be to talisman vs house on the hill?

Arkham horror is quite complex the first time or two around- lots of little rules to remember. It's pretty straight forward once you get the flow of the game down, but jumping straight in you almost need someone who knows the game to catch any little mistakes people are making.

I really like the game though, once you get a feel for it.

El Skid on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arkham horror is fantastic.

Wassermelone on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, I should also point out the boardgames thread for this- it's devoted to this kind of discussion, so you might want to move it over there :)

El Skid on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arkham Horror is consistently my favorite game that I own, and I own a bunch.

It's more complex than Betrayal, but most of the rules are situational or only dependent upon the game state, so it's not like you have to remember a ton of stuff at all times. The game phases are actually fairly similar to Betrayal in that all the players move, something happens in the location each person is in (potentially), and then the badguys go. Unlike Betrayal Arkham is entirely co-op; the adversarial forces are controlled by a deck of cards. Combat is a little bit more involved than Betrayal, but not by much and is more frequently effective.

The base game has more character options but a lower degree of per-playthrough uniqueness. Adding expansions as it gets stale for you ameliorates this to a degree, and once you've bought a few expansions you'll have too many cards to worry about seeing the same things come up too frequently.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am not a fan of arkham horror. I find it to be too complicated and not as cooperative as Betrayal. The theme for it is awesome but the execution is lacking.

I recommend Last night on earth instead.

This discussion is also in the other thread.

Limp moose on