Options

Dragon Quest Swords: Where steel meets slime

HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
I am sure I am not the only one here waiting to see what this game holds for the wii. Seeing the new Trailer (IGN) reminds me of Crossed Swords on the Neo Geo and that makes me very happy.

DQ:Swords
dragon-quest-swords-the-masked-queen-and-the-tower-of-mirrors-20070123015352501.jpgdragon-quest-swords-the-masked-queen-and-the-tower-of-mirrors-20070123015352829.jpgdragon-quest-swords-the-masked-queen-and-the-tower-of-mirrors-20070123015353892.jpg

Crossed Swords
crossedswords2.gifcrossedswords3.jpg

So who's hyped for full wii swordplay?

Handkor on

• Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm hyped. I'm also one of the proud owners of Kenshin Dragon Quest
    kenshin_kid4.jpg

The game was really cool but the motion detection and gameplay was a little flawed. Now that I know how good the Wii's are I'm very excited.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm really hoping for 1 to 1 sword control, too bad from the description at IGN that you only need the wiimote, the nunchuck would have been great for a sheild.

Handkor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Handkor wrote:
    I'm really hoping for 1 to 1 sword control, too bad from the description at IGN that you only need the wiimote, the nunchuck would have been great for a sheild.

Nah, we haven't reached the plateau of 1:1 sword combat yet. However if your a fan of Dragon Quest and a fan of fun then I think the game is a win.

Also I too thought of the chuck for the shield however it would be kind of pointless since you can't slice at the same time anyway.

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would be perfectly happy with a half-dozen sword move recognitions for the battles.. including special moves. Shield blocking with the nunchuck would be excellent as well, but I'd imagine that is asking a bit much from a game that may focus on the story instead of the action. I mean, I won't hate the world if I use the trigger to put up my shield.

[spoiler:4c1fe38c7b]I'll hate the world.[/spoiler:4c1fe38c7b]

Nswyers on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love Crossed Swords soooo much. Especially the co-op.

rayofash on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The non-cell-shaded models seem kinda odd to me.

jothki on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If there's a real game in there instead of just SLASH LINE OF SLIMES it will be awesome.

bruin on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is this part of the main series? Is it part of the Dragon Quest Monster series? Is it part of the Slime Knight series? Is it a brand new series?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That dude in the third DQ Swords screenshot is completely fucked.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Is this part of the main series? Is it part of the Dragon Quest Monster series? Is it part of the Slime Knight series? Is it a brand new series?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    It's part of the DQ Swords series.

bruin on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do we actually have any information beyond

Uses Wiimote.

May contain slimes.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

Uses Wiimote.

May contain slimes.

Well, it's pretty much confirmed that it does contain slimes.

Also, it has stone golems.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Uses Wiimote.

May contain slimes.

So no :lol:

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    1:1 sword controls with the Wii will never work, or at least in my opinion still be flawed when they do arrive.

You cant have any collision with it, and what happens if, say, you want to just waggle as fast as you can, breaking the game horribly.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yay, incoming Wii 1:1 control sword-fighting possibility discussion. I won't get dragged into it but I feel there's definitely a possibility there. I don't think the lack of proper feedback or potential for waggle-abuse are issues that can't be driven around.

I've never played Dragon Quest so I don't think I quite understand the whole art direction. Something's just putting me off there. Hopefully a friend will buy it so I can try it out.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    1:1 sword controls with the Wii will never work, or at least in my opinion still be flawed when they do arrive.

You cant have any collision with it, and what happens if, say, you want to just waggle as fast as you can, breaking the game horribly.

I agree unless a developper has a brilliant idea on how to implement it and speculations won't do, this is something you have to try and find the best implementation.

This will be great if they only keep a close approximation of you slashes and stabs, not swing high = head but more swing high and the slash is at relative height of your swing which mich hit the sholder a little. I mostly want the diagonals to be kept.

Handkor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Uses Wiimote.

May contain slimes.

So no :lol:

Well this game is basically the sequel to the stand-alone "toy" Kenshin (Sword God) Dragon Quest which I have. In that game you use the sword to make vertical, horizontal and diagonal slashes, turn the sword flat to block and thrust to cast a magic spell.

However not all enemies can be defeated by just swinging like a wild person, in fact if you do that after the first boss your screwed. Partly because the motion detection wasn't the best and partly because there is some strategy involved. Some enemies are quick, some block and dodge, some can only be defeated by batting their attack back at them Phantom Ganon style. You have a special meter that charges and when it's full you can perform an deadly technique by using the correct combination of slashes with the right timing.

So that was the meat of Kenshin Dragon Quest. Now it appears Swords has all that x100. Kenshin's story was just a retelling of DQ1 while Swords seems to have a new and involved plot with other characters, new special moves, the ability to shoot magic bullets with the trigger, etc.

I'm excited.

As for 1:1, since the Wiimote can't actually make your hand recoil after a blow I can see the in-game sword recoiling for a short moment to simulate it and you'd have to wait to regain control. Of course this doesn't make it 1:1 but then again it seems unrealistic anyway.

For my 1:1 comment I meant for future sword games in general, didn't mean to apply it to DQ SWORDS.

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This game does not have 1:1 controls, period, unless they've changed it dramatically recently. Go look at the gameplay video. It doesn't simulate swordfighting at all - instead you point the cursor at the screen and "slash" it across to attack, as well as using it to aim your shield blocks.

Zek on
  • Options
    fdiskcdrivefdiskcdrive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    THANKFULLY this game will not have 1:1 controls. Toadthemushroom explained it how it is.

fdiskcdrive on
    fdisksig1gi.gif
    mkds: 128-909-369-415
    tetris: 607-254-108-141
    metroid: 1460-9641-6245
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    so this game is on a rail system or somethin thats pretty stupid and a waste of money imo

klok on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    star fox

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    eaglearchereaglearcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    klok wrote:
    so this game is on a rail system or somethin thats pretty stupid and a waste of money imo

Because, you know... game on the rail system always sucks.

eaglearcher on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why are there no pictures of the goth loli? :(
    klok wrote:
    I really can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Personally, I'm still a little hesitant about the game, but the more I think about it the more I'm equating it to Time Crisis in one of my favorite fantasy settings with AI allies, magic and a manual block option instead of dodging.

Which sounds pretty good to me, actually.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's a shakycam gameplay video floating around somewhere.

jothki on
  • Options
    fdiskcdrivefdiskcdrive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    After viewing this, I know DQ Swords on wii is going to be something I can get into. I don't mind the rails because the action looks somewhat strategic and fun.

fdiskcdrive on
    fdisksig1gi.gif
    mkds: 128-909-369-415
    tetris: 607-254-108-141
    metroid: 1460-9641-6245
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Holy fuck, amazing vid from IGN.

This game is bought. Guess this will be the first RPG for Wii? Any others coming out before it?

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

This game is bought. Guess this will be the first RPG for Wii? Any others coming out before it?
    I pretty sure this is an action game, not an RPG.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:

Depends on your definition of (J)RPG. You have HP and gain levels and items and spells and whatnot.

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm down for this game. Cool gameplay concept up'd thanks to the Wii's capabilities compared to earlier systems, combined with some RPG elements and storyline?

I'm an easy sell for this one.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    BushidoGamerBushidoGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_Swords

"[Yuji] Horii is joined by famed Dragon Ball Z artist and character designer Akira Toriyama and "the father of video game music" composer Koichi Sugiyama.[4]"

Armor Project, Bird Studio, Genius Sonority and Eighting (maybe) seem to be on board too.

BushidoGamer on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    WHOO new screenies

anything to resurrect this decrepit thread...

Guek on
  • Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This game looks like it's going to be really fun. It would be really great if Square Enix would just go ahead and give us a date for it.

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've heard bad things from 1up podcasts about this game. Super simple, very easy, and has no replayability whatsoever.

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    InitialDK wrote: »
    bruin wrote:

Depends on your definition of (J)RPG. You have HP and gain levels and items and spells and whatnot.

Then Super Paper Mario was the first RPG :P

Zek on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ranced wrote: »
    I've heard real good things about this game. Namely, this picture.

hn07.jpg

fixed

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    that's not something i would post

no

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm ambivalent about this game, it has the potential to be really boring if they don't give it any real depth.

Zek on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i think it'll depend on how good the rpg elements are. if the demo was simply slashing and no techniques or spells, then yeah, of course it'll be boring. but if the battle and leveling systems are worth while, then this could be a kick ass game.

Guek on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've heard bad things from 1up podcasts about this game. Super simple, very easy, and has no replayability whatsoever.

I think the problem might be right there.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »

I think the problem might be right there.

heh

I wouldn't think so. If they just said the game was crap and left it at that, then maybe I'd think twice. But they described how it plays thoroughly and, right now, it doesn't sound so appealing.

Ranced on