As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Passports (Canada)

robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just applied for my passport in person. Is the person who takes your paperwork and
stuff the one who approves it or does it get sent to another group?

Just wondering about this. Thanks!

Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
robotbebop on

• Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, it's sent away to a passport processing facility. I applied for mine in B.C. and it was issued to me by the facility in Gatineau.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think another group approves it, but they don't necessarily make it on site.

If they didn't have any complaints, then you should get your passport in a week or two.

Here is their contact page that you can submit to know the status of your passport or even call the 1-800 # (i'd wait a day or two to make sure it's in the system). FYI back in May, took 6 business days to have my passport in hand.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/service/contact.aspx?lang=eng

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You probably went to Service Canada to put in your paperwork, but your passport is issued by Passport Canada, part of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.

From the Service Canada website:
    Passport Canada is the federal government agency responsible for issuing Canadian passports.

Service Canada and Canada Post act as passport receiving agents on behalf of Passport Canada. Receiving agents accept applications, review them to make sure they are accurate and complete, collect the fee along with your original citizenship documents (birth certificate or citizenship certificate), and forward your application package to Passport Canada for processing.

Asiina on
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    You probably went to Service Canada to put in your paperwork, but your passport is issued by Passport Canada, part of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.

From the Service Canada website:
    Passport Canada is the federal government agency responsible for issuing Canadian passports.

Service Canada and Canada Post act as passport receiving agents on behalf of Passport Canada. Receiving agents accept applications, review them to make sure they are accurate and complete, collect the fee along with your original citizenship documents (birth certificate or citizenship certificate), and forward your application package to Passport Canada for processing.

I went to the place in surrey. The site says it's a passport Canada office

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Then they were probably the people responsible for approving your passport. It's still likely they'll be printed in Quebec and mailed to you from there though.

Asiina on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mine was processed and printed in Windsor. Took 10 business days to get process, and that's including a paperwork on my part. Was processed within the first two weeks of June.

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was at the Surrey office at the beginning of the month. The clerk went through all of my stuff to make sure it was correct, and while waiting in line I noticed that they turned people away who had done things incorrectly (like not doing photos properly, not getting things signed, etc).

So even if they aren't the ones who approve your passport, they most likely would have caught any errors, and you'll most likely get your passport.

Mine took exactly two weeks from my trip to the office to arrive, for an idea of the time frame.

James on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To reiterate what James said, if there were any problems with you filling out your application the office you filed at should have caught the errors. So basically, unless you have some sort of legal reason why you can't have a passport (murder conviction) you should get it in what the current alloted time is. Applications do take a few weeks longer than renewals. My renewals was two weeks. I think I lucked out on that one somehow.

EskimoDave on