Options

Maths Mechanics Problem

NohmanNohman Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Got a question for an assignment, and to be honest, I don't need help with the actual mathematics involved, but I could do with a hand figuring out what it actually is asking from me.

The exact wording of the question is as follows;

"Find the clockwise torque of each of the forces acting in the plane of the lamina shown in the diagrams about an axis perpendicular to the laminas through A

i) Regular hexagon ABCDEF is side 3a

untitled0az.jpg"

Forgive the crappy diagram, just there for context.

So yeah, any help would be appreciated, as I said I have no trouble with the maths involved, just the wording involved in the question.

cheers

Nohman on

• Options
    NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They are just asking you to find the torque exerted on the hexagon by each of the individual forces. The hexagon lies in the x-y plane with the point A at the origin. Positive torques are directed in the clockwise direction. At least that is how I read it, not sure if that answered the parts you were confused on.

Newton on
  • Options
    NohmanNohman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ah, ok, so its the overall force exerted on the hexagon, using point A as the origin with respect to distance, so for example the torque on AF would be 0, a s the force goes through A, thus the distance is 0?

Nohman on