As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

School Me On Blueray TV Shows

KrisKris Registered User regular
So I'm really itching to buy and watch all the Arrested Development seasons, as well as a few other TV series. I'm hesitant though, as stuff like Arrested Development is only out on regular DVD's, and I would rather hold off if it were gonna get rereleased on Blueray (same reason I'm holding out on buying certain movies).

Is that even a possibility though? I mean, if old-ass movies like Cassablanca are being given the Blueray treatment, might A.D. as well? Or were most of these slightly older TV shows just not shot in a compatible manner? Is there a site that documents what shows might get re-released in Blueray?

Please help me spend my money. Thanks guys! :)

Kris on

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Subscribe to Netflix and watch the entire Arrested Development series on-demand via Instant Download.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blu-Ray. Consider yourself schooled.
    kidding

Old movies getting the blu-ray treatment depends on the source but can look really good. Casablanca is a good example. You are right in some older tv shows were not shot in "HD" or in film that translates to higher resolutions well. As a rule of thumb, pretty much, if the show didn't air in HD somewhere, don't bother waiting for the blu-ray.

If you don't have netflix, just watch AD on hulu.

solsovly on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah but while Hulu previously had all of them up at once, they did this thing where now they only post one season at a time. When the time limit for one season is up, they pull it and put up the next one. Which is just needlessly aggravating IMO.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    solsovly wrote: »
    kidding

Old movies getting the blu-ray treatment depends on the source but can look really good. Casablanca is a good example. You are right in some older tv shows were not shot in "HD" or in film that translates to higher resolutions well. As a rule of thumb, pretty much, if the show didn't air in HD somewhere, don't bother waiting for the blu-ray.

Yeah, I don't have Netflix, and Hulu isn't available outside of the United States. Plus I just really enjoy owning things I'm a big fan of.

Thanks for the heads up on "shows that air in HD will likely come out in HD sometime". Unfortunately, I almost never watch tv, and any tv shows I'm interested in will just watch on disc. Is there a site that tells you if a particular show aired in HD?

Kris on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kris wrote: »
    kidding

Yeah, I don't have Netflix, and Hulu isn't available outside of the United States. Plus I just really enjoy owning things I'm a big fan of.

Thanks for the heads up on "shows that air in HD will likely come out in HD sometime". Unfortunately, I almost never watch tv, and any tv shows I'm interested in will just watch on disc. Is there a site that tells you if a particular show aired in HD?

Wikipedia has the picture format off to the right in "Broadcast: Picture Format". In terms of what is actually announced, one of the many blu-ray/tv sites will have releases. I can't link them because I am at work atm.

solsovly on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    AD is already a really clean transfer to DVD, I don't think I'd rebuy them to have it on Blu-Ray -- assuming they made such a thing.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Firefly: The Complete Series. Heartily recommend on Blu-ray.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Both seasons of Rome are available on Blu-ray, and consistently looks very good. It's also a pretty enjoyable show with excellent actors (even if it isn't historically accurate, as one would expect).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think Hulu is coming with an subscription option to get the full run of shows.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    kidding

I don't know of any sites, but if it aired more than about 6 or 7 years ago, you're probably out of luck.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Playing Arrested Development DVDs on a Blu-ray player in 480p is all the definition you'll ever need for that series. It really looks absolutely gorgeous, one of the better-looking TV DVDs out there.

Go to Amazon.com and set up an account. Then go to a Blu-ray page for whatever TV series you're interested in. If it doesn't exist yet, and there's no impending release date for it, you can sign up to be notified whenever that show is announced for Blu-ray.

As for recommendations, Lost and Mad Men are some terrific-looking Blu-rays. Apparently Band of Brothers is too but I haven't seen that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated. Time to go buy me some Arrested Development DVD's. :)

I'll try and check out some of those recommendations. I'm really interested in Mad Men, and I'm always hearing such good things about that Firefly show.

Kris on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BBC shows on Blu-Ray are usually excellent but at the moment there is only the really big budget TV shows that have had the transfer to Blu-Ray (in the UK at least).

Fringe on Blu-Ray looked amazing I must admit.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think Hulu is coming with an subscription option to get the full run of shows.

Yeah, but they still make you watch the fucking commercials. (I got a preview invite and signed up)

Egregious bullshit.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kidding

I don't know of any sites, but if it aired more than about 6 or 7 years ago, you're probably out of luck.

This, and maybe even less time than that. As a general rule, by this point if a series hasn't had any early seasons put on blu-ray, I wouldn't wait on it happening. For example everyone knows that Entourage has been broadcast in HD for several seasons yet 6 is the only one on blu-ray. How long does one really want to hold out before just buying the DVDs and being done with it?

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet