As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm moving to Redmond!

sonictksonictk Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
Hi.

I'm not sure if any of you know me because I think I've only played with some of you guys via TF2. But anyway, I'm going to DigiPen! Which means moving from my comfortable home all the way down here in Singapore to Redmond for 4 years! Which means I get to go to PAX! (As long as I don't miss the start of the semester, that is.)

I know this looks like it should go in H/A, but I lurk around here mostly so...anyway. Basically any advice anyone has to offer would be awesome because most of what I know about the US (and Redmond) boils down to "remember to tip 15 - 20%".

Oh, and a major concern I have at the moment is accommodation. DigiPen doesn't have a hostel, so I'm trying to get an apartment settled before flying over (since I have to apply for an exit permit from the army here and they want my overseas address to be confirmed before I get it gaaaah), so does anyone happen to be living in the area and have any recommendations to offer?

I was looking at this place from the DigiPen brochures and it seems alright but holy fuck the rent is nuts. Also apparently their smaller studio apartments have all been snatched up.

So, yea. I'm going to the US! Tell me SE++ what else I should do in order to avoid getting stabbed?

sonictk on

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Welcome to Redmond and Digipen, from a senior there. 8-)

If you have any DP questions, you can PM myself or Rankenphile.
    A few others from herego as well, but are more lurkers than we are.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rankenphile knows a lot about DP, if you know what I'm sayin'

Pony on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doesn't neville go to DigiPen? And/or Rankenphile?

Goddammit Pony.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    edited July 2010
    Beat you both.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You're not going to get stabbed in Redmond trust me. Just get a jacket or something to wear from October to April and you're fine. The weather here is a lot like England, kinda. We have a dry season and a wet season.

Anyways I was just goofing off the other day and I saw this.
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6640-137Th-Ave-Ne-Unit-451_Redmond_WA_98052_1117399166

It looks really tiny but hey it's something! But yeah lots of people wanna move to the Puget Sound area so a lot of places are going to be expensive. You don't have to like what I found.
    You could try looking in places like Woodenville, I haven't been to Woodenville though in over a decade. Duvall is a small town, so that may not suit your needs but it's not that far from Redmond either.

I don't know what housing costs would be like in Kirkland or the Totem Lake area would be but I would avoid Bellevue for houses myself, but I haven't actually looked around all that seriously so take that with a grain of salt.

I can only tell you so much though, I moved away from that area in 1997, so most of everything that I know aside from locations of towns is 13 years old.

EDIT: Silly me saying houses, I meant apartments.

EDIT2: If you do decide to pick a place further east in places like Duvall or Carnation, Novelty Hill RD is pretty scary. It's up a steep hill and there's lots of twists and turns and crosses on the side of the road. Ahahah this is basically all I can remember, aside from traffic on I-405.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Huh. Your post didn't even show up after the page refreshed from my post.

Tethered internet sux.

Anywho

Damn you neville etc. etc.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    neville is always

quick on the draw.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited July 2010
    That would only make sense if neville goes there for arting.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited July 2010
    I've also lived in Seattle and Redmond/Kirkland for the last 11 years.
    So I know the area quite well.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy shit that was fast, thanks for the replies!

Nuka that place looks goddamn perfect. Basically anything above 400 sq ft will do, as that's more or less my current room size+bath at the moment, and I guess I could lose about a hundred for the kitchen...

But anyway basically I'm just looking for a small place somewhere probably within 1.5 miles of DigiPen and not $Texas. And I'll probably be trying to get internet access as well, which I have no idea as to the extra cost.

Oh shit that reminded me do you get to choose your ISP over there? Or is it based on region or which one is good and I have no idea how it works D:

sonictk on
    edited July 2010
    neville wrote: »
    Beat you both.

you don't know what i'm sayin'

Pony on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BYToady wrote: »
    neville is always

8-)

quick on the draw.

YYYYYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    edited July 2010
    YMMV but in Snohomish county (so probably in King county as well) there is Verizon (I think still, I keep seeing billboard signs that they're leaving or something), Comcast and Frontier if you live in a rural area like I do.

Ask neville or rankenphile or something I dunno.

nuka on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    speaking of rank: where's my sharkweek thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mensch-o-matic on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be in washington next week!

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    speaking of rank: where's my sharkweek thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he has no excuse for not making one, he remembered while I was talking to him two whole days ago

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    YMMV but in Snohomish county (so probably in King county as well) there is Verizon (I think still, I keep seeing billboard signs that they're leaving or something), Comcast and Frontier if you live in a rural area like I do.

As of July 1, Verizon's FiOS has been turned over to Frontier.

Covet on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    We've been looking about the possibility of moving northward, possibly around Bothell, maybe a bit closer to Bellevue if we can find something nice we can afford.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited July 2010
    Covet wrote: »

Yeah they didn't tell us about it, we didn't know until we got a bill from them.

I called them up cause my modem died and oh what is this where is Verizon? And they just send me the same model of the modem that died.

nuka on
  • CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yeah they didn't tell us about it, we didn't know until we got a bill from them.

I called them up cause my modem died and oh what is this where is Verizon? And they just send me the same model of the modem that died.

I hear ya. You can definitely tell a difference in the service, though we still prefer it to Comcast*. Hope the new modem works for you!

*I am in no way trying to start a Comcast vs. Frontier/Verizon debate. We have our preference, you have yours, that is all.

Covet on
    edited July 2010
    The Geek wrote: »
    We've been looking about the possibility of moving northward, possibly around Bothell, maybe a bit closer to Bellevue if we can find something nice we can afford.

I hope they changed that area cause the last time I was there it wasn't the prettiest looking place ever. I know that Woodenville and Duvall though have just been exploding in terms of new housing. It's the same story all the way up north to Arlington and here in Stanwood.

nuka on
    edited July 2010

I hear ya. You can definitely tell a difference in the service, though we still prefer it to Comcast*. Hope the new modem works for you!

*I am in no way trying to start a Comcast vs. Frontier/Verizon debate. We have our preference, you have yours, that is all.
    It's my dad's account.
    I don't care, I'm not paying for it. :lol:

nuka on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Redmond is a scary place because that is Halloweener turf and if they see you on the street they will just chase you down and beat you and fuck up your shadowrunning.

ChicoBlue on
    edited July 2010
    I'll be in washington next week!
    I fly on the 13th of August. =\

How's Comcast/Frontier with regards to BT throttling, bandwidth capping (do they still do that?), reliability, pricing etc.? Or am I being overly worried here and they are actually awesome?

sonictk on
    edited July 2010
    I can only speak for myself, as I had this problem before the switch over, but I have an unstable connection. I have points where everything is normal as it should be, then while like lets say I'm playing TF2 or some other game, my ping will skyrocket to like 800.

Running pingtest.net can put it as high as 3000. Though I do share a connection, there's no way this is anything that my sister could be doing.

This doesn't happen all the time and this is probably not helpful for you in the slightest unless someone else speaks up.

I'm just gonna say, you're in the city/suburbs, I'm in the country, therefore you'll probably have a better service than I do.

nuka on
    edited July 2010
    Well...apart from sending you the modem did they bother helping you in any other way? Like explaining that maybe their server cables were being chewed on by puppies or something? I dunno.

Also yea weather. I need to get some winter clothing, I guess. I wonder if my army boots will do for walking in snow though.

sonictk on
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Psssh, Redmond
    more like Smegmond

But really though, welcome to the area.
    I'm no help on finding accommodation...I've just moved into places based on luck and timing thus far.

potatoe on
    edited July 2010
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Redmond is a scary place because that is Halloweener turf and if they see you on the street they will just chase you down and beat you and fuck up your shadowrunning.

And this is why even my shadowrunning persona is a lazy computer user that never leaves the house.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited July 2010
    sonictk wrote: »
    Well...apart from sending you the modem did they bother helping you in any other way? Like explaining that maybe their server cables were being chewed on by puppies or something? I dunno.

Also yea weather. I need to get some winter clothing, I guess. I wonder if my army boots will do for walking in snow though.

It only snows like 1 week out of the entire year and only a few inches. You may not need another pair.

Just don't fucking leave the house cause no one knows how to function.

Also it floods a lot here but that won't be a problem if you live up in Redmond, it's only an issue in the valleys and near the rivers really.

I'm just lazy and I don't like to talk to them. The last I spoke to an ISP about this problem, they tested my line and said the next day they fixed it. Apparently not.

I don't care that much, it's just annoying.

Temps for the winter are around 40F. Summer eh, usually 75 to 80F. It varies of course.

nuka on
    edited July 2010
    Also I don't have a driving license yet so I am probably going to look for a cheap bike when I first get there. How hard is it for someone like me (on a student visa) to get a driving license? Although I should probably just man up and run around everywhere that I need to go.

sonictk on
  • art4217art4217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A Drivers License is not hard to get provided you pass the tests. You will need to get a residence set up before you try to take the written. I have had several Japanese students who we able to get there license pretty quickly. As far as ISP, if you are only a couple of miles from DP Comcast is probably your best bet. I have been in the area a long time and in 10+ years never run in to bandwidth issues. On the down it is also the most expensive.

art4217 on
    edited August 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    moving is cool

I'm up in vancouver right now looking for apartments so I can move later in the month

how does it feel to live in the best country on earth eh

Pony on
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Always wanted to go to DigiPen. Really expensive though.

MAybe some time down the road after I've managed to work for a bit and pay off my college debt.

MereHappenstance on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I go to DigiPen. Redmond is fuckexpensive, but look on craigslist and check the roommate finder site DigiPen has.

What program are you taking? Game design? Animation? RTIS?

If it's animation, start your summer sketchbook yesterday.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited August 2010
    Rank I PM'ed you, I'm in the animation degree. Yea my summer sketchbook is completely screwed. But I was working and I was enrolled late and gaaaah yea more excuses, I guess.

sonictk on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I don't care about your excuses and neither donyour professors. Do it. It ain't gotta be good, it just has to get done, and fuck if you think you'll have time to do it later.

Do it. Draw. Anything. Everything. If you're spending ten minutes on a sketch, you're spending too much time.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I live in Ballard and it's pretty baller.

Screw that school shit get a bussing job at a bar and get drunk all the time.

Fuck these careers.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I used to live next to Redmond but now I live in Seattle proper and I got some titties tonight whooooooooooo

Weaver on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Weaver wrote: »
    I used to live next to Redmond but now I live in Seattle proper and I got some titties tonight whooooooooooo

Spread them titties 'round dude.

I have shown you a good time.

BOOBS NOW.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man Tonkka I tried calling you the last two weekends and you never answer. I was all "Hey I can go hang with Tonkka and meet people" but noooo I had to go find some titties by my lonesome.

Weaver on