As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Accelerating My Life

15678911»

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait a second here, do you have a deal set right now? Or are you counting on working something out to get the Navy to pay your debt after you finish school?

Hoz on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nope. Haven't talked to anyone yet, but I can easily pay for my community college. It's only like a couple hundred bucks a semester.

Metzger Meister on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Let's just switch over to the Lee-Enfield.

It served the British fine for sixty years and two World Wars, so I don't see a reason to give up on it now.

hey, and a coupla boer wars

ahh, those rare times when the british empire oppressed whitey too

L|ama on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "The Boers fight behind the rocks, the British fight behind the Irish."

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited August 2010
    someone I was related to died in the boer war

I think that's the only relative I've had in a war that wasn't reaaaaally far away (the relative not the war)

L|ama on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    None of my family has been on the frontlines, my grandfather however turned out to be some kind of Chinese Tony Stark. Smoked cigars, drank scotch and played poker with both American and British admirals and generals who had bases in Hong Kong, convincing them to put his merchandise shops on-base.

At these shops you could buy magazines, newspapers, tapes, music and his own company's fine porcelain ornaments troops sent home as gifts.

Gatsby on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One of my grandfathers was a paratrooper during the Korean War. A great uncle of mine was a doctor who helped with bomb raid victims in the UK during WWII, and another one was a surveillance pilot. My dad was in the coast guard for 20 years, but he was never really in "front lines" action unless you count a period of time where he stopped drug-trafficking boats.

Me? I have pretty much zero-interest in actually serving, but I enjoy studying military history!

CptKemzik on
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One of my Uncles was the only guy in his platoon to make it out of Vietnam alive. Dude hates 4th of July because the fireworks remind him of being back there.

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    One of my Uncles was the only guy in his platoon to make it out of Vietnam alive. Dude hates 4th of July because the fireworks remind him of being back there.

I know a guy like that.

Dude is sick too, diabetes wrecking him.

Nice guy though.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited August 2010
    Seriously? That's more than 30 people. Did they all march off a cliff lemmings style or what?

Hoz on
  • pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    Seriously? That's more than 30 people. Did they all march off a cliff lemmings style or what?

No, I think they died because they were in a fucking war.

IT'S ALL SO OBVIOUS NOW

pillow on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pillows Tells It Like It Is.

Liiya on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gatsby wrote: »
    None of my family has been on the frontlines, my grandfather however turned out to be some kind of Chinese Tony Stark. Smoked cigars, drank scotch and played poker with both American and British admirals and generals who had bases in Hong Kong, convincing them to put his merchandise shops on-base.

At these shops you could buy magazines, newspapers, tapes, music and his own company's fine porcelain ornaments troops sent home as gifts.

Ah yes, Tony Stark, infamous lothario and magazine stand salesman.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    navy is the best branch if you can tolerate the 6 month tours. but now a days it's equivalent to the 6 months in iraq.

sub is the best boat type because i'm bias and half of my family worked in subs. not good if you are tall or claustrophobic i guess.

after that, air force is the best due to living conditions, and army is good if you have a job you really want and it's only in the army. coast guard is chill and a good branch. marines uh

I reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaalllly dont want to start a pissing contest over which is better, just wanted to know on what measure you think the navy pulls ahead? Just from the interactions I've had with a few friends that joined, the amount of stupid shit, and the lack of free time seemed to be a huge deterrent for me. I dunno, maybe that stuff is more up other peoples alleys? And not that the Air Force is sunshine and lollipops and all that.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
    edited August 2010
    pillow wrote: »

IT'S ALL SO OBVIOUS NOW
    For an entire fucking platoon to be wiped out it had to have taken part in some major battle.

Hoz on
  • pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

IT'S ALL SO OBVIOUS NOW
    For an entire fucking platoon to be wiped out it had to have taken part in some major battle.

A battle

on a cliff

pillow on
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

IT'S ALL SO OBVIOUS NOW

Looks like you just answered your own question. You can stick with the lemmings bit if you want though.

MereHappenstance on
    edited August 2010
    a family friend was in the paras in ireland and the falklands

he has some fucked up stories and still wakes up screaming every now and then

L|ama on
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He was actually a platoon leader for the 431st lemming battalion .

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Radiation wrote: »
    navy is the best branch if you can tolerate the 6 month tours. but now a days it's equivalent to the 6 months in iraq.

sub is the best boat type because i'm bias and half of my family worked in subs. not good if you are tall or claustrophobic i guess.

after that, air force is the best due to living conditions, and army is good if you have a job you really want and it's only in the army. coast guard is chill and a good branch. marines uh

I reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaalllly dont want to start a pissing contest over which is better, just wanted to know on what measure you think the navy pulls ahead? Just from the interactions I've had with a few friends that joined, the amount of stupid shit, and the lack of free time seemed to be a huge deterrent for me. I dunno, maybe that stuff is more up other peoples alleys? And not that the Air Force is sunshine and lollipops and all that.

I am telling ya the Coast Guard is way awesome compared to the rest. All the benfits of a military man and none of the over seas for half a year or more in a shit land. Its all stateside save for some special assignments in certain areas where you have to be a tad specical anyways. There is only a couple areas where they give you housing but its mostly they pay you to find a place on the economy even if you are single. None of that Army or Air Force neighborhood stuff.

Choose your rate choose your fate. You can get whatever job you want for an enlisted man but just know what goes with it. If you want some boating then we have that and they are small enough where you really get to know the crew and be involved in some seamanship if you want that. longest standard patrols are 3 months and you hit mostly vacation spots on port calls. If you are gung ho then get on a boarding team and get tactical or become the dude who shoots out engines on go fasts. Or be me and just work on phones and computer connections.

There is some shitty stuff but its mostly due to personal rather then enviroment. And if it is enviroment its because you chose to be a grease monkey or a toilet snake.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    why not just be a cop. or a warehouse 13 agent

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • PedantophilePedantophile Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am telling ya the Coast Guard is way awesome compared to the rest. All the benfits of a military man and none of the over seas for half a year or more in a shit land.
    I always figured the overseas stuff was actually one of the benefits of the service. And if you're in the Navy, unless you're part of a land-based rating, you're probably not going to have to deal too much with shit lands if you don't want to.

In my experience Navy had the better food (had AF and Marine food, no Army.) Hell even the A1 school I went to had a fantastic galley. And while I never went out on any 6-month deployments myself, I knew plenty of dudes who loved WestPacs (had fucking "yearbooks" and shit from their deployments and acted like it was Summer camp.)

Pedantophile on
    "Considering what your people did to my people during WWII I think a little kissing and breast fondling to be minor reparations, at best."
    edited August 2010
    Here's a fun little bit of drama regarding the Airforce's attempt to replace it's refueling tankers.

5 Minute Delay Scuttles Chance at $40 Billion Air Force Deal

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited August 2010

You ever escaped early Communist China, built up your own company still active for over 30 years, formed a monopoly in Hong Kong, smoked with an admiral and beat a 2 star general in a game of Texas Hold 'Em then sold him your own store to put on his base all before you turned 35?

I didn't think so, buster

Gatsby on
    edited August 2010
    don't think thats Tony Stark's m.o. either

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Tony Stark escaped from Communist Vietnam.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited August 2010
    If we're going to be nit picky then no, my grandfather was not a former weapons manufacturer who went and built a suit of advanced armour to defeat communists and super villains

Gatsby on
    edited August 2010
    which is pretty much who stark is y'know

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You ever escaped early Communist China, built up your own company still active for over 30 years, formed a monopoly in Hong Kong, smoked with an admiral and beat a 2 star general in a game of Texas Hold 'Em then sold him your own store to put on his base all before you turned 35?

Dude, that's awesome

Usagi on
    edited August 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    which is pretty much who stark is y'know

Really? Really?

Also funny thing PI, this was all during the Vietnam War. And I know, right Usagi?

Gatsby on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would high five your grandpa so hard

Usagi on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Usagi wrote: »

Dude, that's awesome

It is, it is.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    edited August 2010
    Also funny thing PI, this was all during the Vietnam War.
    Did he build the magazine shop out of spare parts while surrounded by commies? Because this will either make or break your story.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited August 2010
    ...maybe

Gatsby on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Radiation wrote: »

I am telling ya the Coast Guard is way awesome compared to the rest. All the benfits of a military man and none of the over seas for half a year or more in a shit land. Its all stateside save for some special assignments in certain areas where you have to be a tad specical anyways. There is only a couple areas where they give you housing but its mostly they pay you to find a place on the economy even if you are single. None of that Army or Air Force neighborhood stuff.

Choose your rate choose your fate. You can get whatever job you want for an enlisted man but just know what goes with it. If you want some boating then we have that and they are small enough where you really get to know the crew and be involved in some seamanship if you want that. longest standard patrols are 3 months and you hit mostly vacation spots on port calls. If you are gung ho then get on a boarding team and get tactical or become the dude who shoots out engines on go fasts. Or be me and just work on phones and computer connections.

There is some shitty stuff but its mostly due to personal rather then enviroment. And if it is enviroment its because you chose to be a grease monkey or a toilet snake.
    i didn't really read any of these replies. but yes i agree coast guard is the best, in the sense it's like the military but not. my brother's biggest issues were engine fire, telling a boat full of immagrants to turn around, and telling russian fisherman uh you're kinda treading on america here.

why i think navy is the best? bias and propaganda. 3 of 6 of my immediate family are/were navy. objective wise, it's the extra pays you get for being on a boat, the travel you get to see a lot more places in a vacation like time period during your 6 month tours, and the point system for promotion seems better than the army's point system. also during a tour, boats will sail out of their way FOR YOU just to be in international waters when you reenlist, which means 0 tax cut from your $40k+ reenlistment bonus.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited August 2010
    and "shitty military drama" is (surprise) the exact same drama you find every fucking where.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited August 2010
    Omigod did you hear?? Like, F Company's totallyyy doing it with the 16th Logistics Divison! I wonder how Bravo Company is gonna take the newz THIS IS SO HUUGE!!! (>;.;)>

Gatsby on
    edited August 2010
    yup

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't stand H company.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig