As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e PbP Eberron: Crime/Noir] The Long Way Down

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, let's just have Mos delay his action for now so we can move forward a bit.

Vered coolly marches right by the blubbering Gith, keeping a keen eye on his retreating pal.

"Y'know..."

The death merchant brings his Gut Buster up, centering the thug in it's iron sights even as he swings onto the airship.

"...S'a real shame buddy over there didn't have your good sense, boss."

Another explosive round is ejected from the barrel of the weapon, punching a hole messily through the Gith, who crumbles to the deck.
    Vered moves to -A13, and uses another round (So 2/10) to perforate the Minion at B20 using Magic Weapon.

Magic Weapon vs AC: 1d20+12 24 1d8+6 13

EDIT: Have you already tried PMing Wassermelone? He's been active on the forums since yesterday.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Haha oh man, I just realized what I did to my initiative by making Dex my dump stat

ohhhhhh wellllllll~

Not like I'm a rogue or nothing but man I'm dumb!

Remember, kids: CHA is always your dump stat. :P

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any chance of us being able to hide from the newcomers, or would the definitely see us as we try to leave?

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • Options
    srboyceboatsrboyceboat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sterling & Dwight:
    You have a surprise round. You each get one action. This might be a little rough. Maybe daily powers necessary? Not like you've gotten the thick of it a lot recently.

As you burst through the door, you can feel yourself pass through an imperceptible barrier like that created by a Silence ritual, and suddenly what conversation you could hear washes over you.

And you are perplexed.

Before you stands not two creatures, but several. A nearly 8-foot minotaur, holding a strange glowing device that seem to pulse with orange energy and looking extremely bored, is halfway through snorting a huge handful of Ribald powder as you burst through the room, his huge nostrils flaring and puffing the dusted drug up into the air as his eyes grow wide. He's packing iron: which is to say, he has an enormous warhammer slung across his back.

The goblin next to you, who was rifling through some odds-and-ends possessions like pens, papers, and notebooks, simply holds them, glances up, jaw agape at the pair of you. A pen falls out of his hand to the floor.

There is a much more stern Hobgoblin, now easily identified as one of the voices as you cut him off mid-sentence: "Plurg, are you sure it's here? Qeffer looks ant--" The hobgoblin's left wrist has a deadly-looking chain wrapped around it, dripping with some malodorous grayish-green substance.

In the back, you can hear a chittering, disturbing voice calling in answer "Fething kid's these days! His room was a mess even before I tossed it. I don't know why--" The gremlin speaking stops as he emerges from the back room, staring aghast at the pair of you.

And lastly is the other goblin, his head buried in a plate of fine raw fish, pops up and makes a noise like a dog caught defecating in the house.

A pause hangs in the air everyone in the room collectively holds their breath for a heartbeat.

Map:
    Tellarin.png

Notable features of the map:
    • The bar is 4 foot high. Athletics or Acrobatics 14 to vault it as part of a move. Other difficult terrain to enter and get off it.
    • The broken in G15-H16 is difficult terrain.

(G1) Goblin Thug - Init: 21 | HP = 1/1 | AC 17 | Fort 15 | Ref 17 | Will 17
    (H1) Hobgoblin Chainfighter - Init: 19 | HP = 64/64 | AC 17 | Fort 17 | Ref 18 | Will 16
    :arrow: Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 42/42 | AC 16 | Fort 13 | Ref 18 | Will 15
    (M1) Minotaur Ribber - Init: 14 | HP = 90/90 | AC 18 | Fort 20 | Ref 15 | Will 17
    Sterling - Init: 14 | HP = 56/56 | AC 20 | Fort 18 | Ref 19 | Will 18
    (G2) Goblin Thug - Init: 11 | HP = 1/1 | AC 17 | Fort 15 | Ref 17 | Will 17
    (D1) Gremlin Ringleader - Init: 6 | HP = 63/63 | AC 19 | Fort 16 | Ref 18 | Will 17

Hotran:
    A quick glance of the office tells you the only space available to hide is underneath the desk, in the dripping blood. It might fit both of you, but if whoever's coming makes any inspection of the room, they'd find you. There is probably a back door to the morgue, but you'd still have to leave by going out of the office's front door. Considering it took you a minute or two to notice Cleg's condition, and assuming they're not hostile (they sound like Watch officers) you might be able to make it past the newcomers and out of the building before they know anything's amiss.

Then again, you're warforged, and if they are Watch, they might give you the stink just for the fun of it.

Vered & Mos:
    You murdered the other gith. The remaining one falls to the ground, whimpering. Will update your info tonight when I get back from work. As of now, assume you're out of combat. You can feel free to enter Bemiin's lair properly.

And, no, I haven't PM'd Wasser yet.

srboyceboat on
    Picture is Dave Dorman's (http://www.davedorman.com/)
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My apologies - my weekend was... busy to say the least. Just a sec, going to take me a second to get reacquainted :P

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll wait for input from DarkMatter, but Clank will likely head for the door, figuring it better to be hassled by the Watch in the hallway than with a dripping corpse overhead

hotran on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Vered puts his bolt thrower back under his coat, rounding on the whimpering Gith closing on him, grabbing him by his greasy hair and yanking him over to the disembodied head of his companion - grabbing it by the hair with his free hand.

"Pal? You, me, 'ol Garrik here and Bemiin? We's gonna go make like a family. And y'know what families do? They share."

He gives Mos Nassam a glance over his shoulder.

"Nice work. Let's keep movin'."

The artificer marches on toward's Bemiin's establishment, dragging the Gith thug along by his hair and toting his friend's severed head.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Dark080matterDark080matter CrateriaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rievakari nods to Clank as he gathers the papers then follows him out of the office as the sounds of laughter approach from down the hallway.
    Yeah, I'll follow along blithely in Clank's wake if he wants to dissociate us with the office as quick as possible.

The reasoning behind my preference not to take a skill check at the previous juncture was that I figured we were still operating under the assumption that every check is roughly 15 minutes of time lost. 15 minutes would have been a long time to chill out in the vicinity of someone very brutally murdered, very recently.

About the scene and my summarizing of it: Sorry to have sounded so sure of it, I was speaking as a note of internal character thought process rather then actually trying to "call it" from my perspective as a player. Rievakari is, like most kalashtar, no stranger to the insidious threat of mental and physical corruption. And Tarkanan has an association with aberration. The parallels between physical/mental aberration of the tentacular, Xoriat-induced kind and the more subtle, Dal Quor-inspired kind are not lost on most kalashtar, I bet.

I doubt she has much experience with House Tarkanan's MO or those who would be so bold as to screw with them, but at least superficially that's what the scene appears to be. I mean, that's enough for her right off the bat. The Dreaming Dark (roughly parallels) -> Aberrations (which are commonly associated with) -> House Tarkanan and Aberrant Dragonmarks. For a kalashtar without any particular special information about House Tarkanan besides common wisdom, that sounds like a pretty done deal, we can stop and take note here. To her, adding further layers to this would just be icing on the horrifying cake.

Dark080matter on
  • Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Without looking Dwight whips his rapier to his side, slashing the throat of the goblin thug. As the goblin falls Dwight steps into the place that the thug once stood.

"Take out of everything, but leave the ringleader alive. I want to question him."
    Standard: Acrobatic Strike 1d20+11+2 (Rogue first strike, gives me CA) vs Goblin Thug AC = 22 vs AC

Acrobatic Strike Effect: Shift south one square to (L,13)

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sterling raises her left arm and stretches her palm outward toward the hobgoblin; the sigil on the back of her hand glows once more, and then seems to physically leap from her skin towards the chainfighter, the silver-white symbol burning itself onto his chest.

"This one first."
    Minor action: Mark H1 with Aegis of Shielding; if he makes an attack that does not target me, he takes -3 to the attack roll and Sterling gains 3 THP. If that attack connects, I'll use an immediate interrupt to reduce that damage by 8 (5+con mod).

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sterling & Dwight:

Watching his comrade slain, the hobgoblin lets out a low growl, "Plurg! You said this was the kid's place! They don't look like kids!" The chain wrapped about his arm slips down into his hand, its grayish-green covering sprawling and twisting out into a smoking aura of the same color as he whirls around his body and, eventually, at Sterling. She flings her sword up and bats the chain aside, the warding aura flashing subtly against the strange grayish-green smoke trail as she does so. He dodges back behind his hefty minotaur companion, whirling the twin sides of the chain around him and preparing to strike again.

"Qeffer, these two are between you and that good fix! Squash 'em!"

Actions:
    Hobgoblin Chainfighter:
    Standard: Chain Grab (Reach 2): 16 vs Fort - Miss.
    Move: Move to (K,16)

Map:
    Tellarin.png

• The bar is 4 foot high. Athletics or Acrobatics 12 to vault it as part of a move. Otherwise, just treat it as difficult terrain to enter and get off it.
    • The broken table in G15-H16 is difficult terrain.

[strike](G1) Goblin Thug - Init: 21 | HP = 1/1 | AC 17 | Fort 15 | Ref 17 | Will 17 [/strike]
    (H1) Hobgoblin Chainfighter - Init: 19 | HP = 64/64 | AC 17 | Fort 17 | Ref 18 | Will 16 (Aegis of Shielding, -3 to Attack Anyone but Sterling TEoE/Dead/Removed)
    :arrow: Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 42/42 | AC 16 | Fort 13 | Ref 18 | Will 15
    (M1) Minotaur Ribber - Init: 14 | HP = 90/90 | AC 18 | Fort 20 | Ref 15 | Will 17
    (D1) Gremlin Ringleader - Init: 6 | HP = 63/63 | AC 19 | Fort 16 | Ref 18 | Will 17

Next up: Dwight!

Also, folks, please Quote my combat posts so you can copy/paste the Status Block and make any changes you need to at the conclusion of your turn. That will make it significantly easier to stay with the progression of the combat.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mos Nasam and Vered "Mr. Kaboom" Tavar (who has now proven his name)
    As you enter the foul-smelling (and are assaulted by stray, ludicrous thoughts with a distinctly desperation-tinged flavor) sanctuary of Javin Bemiin, you notice at once that the inhabitants likely heard you outside, and they definitely hear the whimpering githzerai you're dragging into the building (he's mentioned in his blubbering that his name is Talz) . Immediately in front of the pair of you is a group of boxes are scattered, utterly abandoned on the floor and you can see a pair of Halflings and a goblin ducking around a corner as you enter. One halfling and one goblin have handheld crossbows at the ready, and the remaining halfling is carrying an alchemical pistol, but none look overly inclined to use them. The room itself is akin to an enormous warehouse, for all intents and purposes, with a pair of freight airships and a handful of skycarts berthed high in the rafters. Two holes in the southern and northern walls slope into the floors like docks, showing light bleeding in from the cogs miles below and offering a docking station where currently no craft are moored. The warehouse is probably 50 feet long and about 80 feet wide, as well as being nearly 100 feet tall. It's stuffed to the gills with boxes containing all manner of questionable goods, but the cloying scent of grinspore is readily available on the air. There are cold-iron cases and a number of other more scrupulous containers that may houses rarer or more dangerous goods scattered here and there. The whole tableau creates a sort of small throne-room impression. Before the trio of workers can even act, the doors at the far end of the warehouse explode open, the opulently dressed Javin Bemiin makes a grand entrance, his tiefling bodyguard, Ulhaedr, in tow and looking fully geared to combat the majority of Sharn's Watch (should their bribes ever run out).

All-in-all, a more impressive operation than Vered thought the sour little gith could muster.

Javin Bemiin calls out to you, smiling and applauding as he walks, "Mr. Kabooms, indeed! You are to forgiving us for the poor hospitalitarianism. Gith in this city -- the towers make play with their sense, yes? Bemiin tries to has them make good work, honest work, and they has -- how to place it? -- hassling Bemiin's friends, Bemiin's peeeers! Please, making the forgiveness for this en-cursion on your pride." He bows slightly, and Ulhaedr nods her head ever so slightly.

As the gith straightens, his Alder-soaked eyes grow dim with aggravation, and he fixes his gaze on Talz.

Deep Speech:
    Talz, you mewling, pathetic piece of shit. If you're going to have the balls to skip out on work ON ME of all people, you'd better make sure anyone you decide to rough up is dead twice over before you show your face - or the face of your dead ass of a brother Garrik, there - in here. I may have Ulhaedr tear your spine out while you're still alive so that I can make a walking stick out of it.

Talz's fear of you and the Shard seems to subside, and his horror focuses back in on his employer. As Javin Bemiin returns his gaze to you, his eyes twinkle ever so slightly. "Mr. Kabooms has made the disciplinings of Bemiin's poor, stray gith the very much simpleton. If M.r Kabooms is not minding, Bemiin would be liking to finish the task."

As you release Talz to whimper on the floor, Bemiin steps in closer. "Mr. Kabooms would not have the bringing such-" he eyes the Shardmind almost openly lustfully, obviously wondering what the creature would fetch in terms of price if it were diced up and sold as its constituent dragonshard elements -- "is it guest? Asset? Friend? New beeznuss vanteur? Bemiin has many the ask of questions, but to make continuing of such rudity, no! Bemiin must know: how can he be of the services to the most esteemedness Mr. Kabooms?"

As he finishes his rant, he turns and barks in Deep Speech at the trio of workers, and they drop their weapons and disappear into a trapdoor in the floor leading to the cellar. From the opposing door down toward the end of the warehouse where Bemiin entered, half a heartbeat earlier, a pair of gith - yanki if you had to guess - pop up, hauling a large, cold-iron crate. A bugbear soon follows them, hauling an identical crate that's nearly the size of him.

Vered may do Insight, Perception, or History checks to gather more about the room, why things might be stored in cold-iron, Bemiin's operations, so on and so forth. I specify Vered because Mos Nasam likely wouldn't be familiar with smuggler operations in a city in which he's a guest.

Your suspicion on coming here was that Bemiin might have something to do with or some knowledge of the receipt found on Baldrin's body. Remember that you are not familiar with any of Rieva/Clank's findings.

Items of interest on the receipt: Arsenic (guised as Rat Poison, though they'd have to have been seriously huge Dire Rats for that quantity), Residuum, and something starting with Tri-.

You're in a little mini skill challenge within the grand skill challenge here, but it's a lot of opposed checks, as lowlifes such as Bemiin (and, if we're honest, Vered) have a tendency to bluff and double bluff. Your goal is to outbluff Bemiin and get him to slip up and tell you something. To that end:

Primary Skills:
    Diplomacy (DC 16, this negates a failure. Bemiin will see and value honesty)
    Bluff (opposed by Bemiin's Passive Insight of 15. He'll roll to try to break your bluff if you beat that.)
    Insight (to bust Bemiin's statements as bluff or fact.)

Secondary:
    (Vered-only) Streetwise of 15 or better (+4 to the primary skills up to 2 times)
    (Mos Nasam-only) Intimidate of 15 or better (+4 to the primary skills up to 2 times)

6 successes before 3 Failures will get you some answers, or at least as many as Bemiin can provide, which may result in one or more Success for the Omni Skill-Challenge. You want to try justifying another skill, and we'll see how that works.

Also, Mos Nasam should be able to use his telepathy here, but there isn't a "Psionics" skill...so I'm willing to let you sell me on a skill he might be able to use, and we'll see how it plays out.

P.S. I'm kind of mad that this happened after everyone else got all their data, because you could potentially move quite a ways along busting the first part of this thing open with this check. We'll see.

Omni Skill Challenge Progress:
    You have 5 successes. DCs are now at the hard level of 18. Successes still take an hour, failures take 2 hours of time.

You have, as a group, spent 5 hours on the case(s). It is evening in Sharn.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dwight takes a step towards the minotaur and smiles, "You are one ugly ass". With the conclusion of the remark he swipes his rapier across the chest then twists his wrist and stabs the minotaur in the leg causing it to stumble forwards into the range of Sterling's sword.
    OOC: Worst damage rolls ever. 4 out of 5 rolls were 1's for damage! Also forgot to add it into the rolls on Orokos but because of the dragon's amulet all damage rolls gain a +1 when I have CA
    Move: Shift east 1 square
    Standard: Opening Move 1d20+11+2 = 24 vs Minotaur AC Hit! For 11 damage
    Free: Sneak attack damage: 2d6 = 5
    Minor: Low Slash 1d20+11+2 = 21 vs Minotaur Reflex Hit! For 10 damage

Opening Move Effect: Gain a +5 power bonus to AC and Reflex (not sure how long it lasts)
    Low Slash Effect: Slide target 1 square, target is slowed. Move Minotaur west 1 square.

[strike](G1) Goblin Thug - Init: 21 | HP = 1/1 | AC 17 | Fort 15 | Ref 17 | Will 17 [/strike]
    (H1) Hobgoblin Chainfighter - Init: 19 | HP = 64/64 | AC 17 | Fort 17 | Ref 18 | Will 16 (Aegis of Shielding, -3 to Attack Anyone but Sterling TEoE/Dead/Removed)
    Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 42/42 | AC 16+5 | Fort 13 | Ref 18+5 | Will 15
    :arrow:(M1) Minotaur Ribber - Init: 14 | HP = 69/90 | AC 18 | Fort 20 | Ref 15 | Will 17 (Slow until EoDwightNT)

Next up: Minotaur!

Is that what you wanted for everything?

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Vered's scowl soften just slightly as Bemiin and, perhaps more importantly, Ulhaedr step into the room. He grins at the Tiefling.

"Hey, Ulhaedr. How you doin'?"

He gives the room a once-over as the Gith rambles on. What's Bemiin mostly seem to be up to, these days?
    Perception: 1d20+11 13

Going to invoke my Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes to help that check:

Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes: 1d6 3

So, total score of 16.

"Bemiin, it's real simple: I want some information. How much you sellin' rat poison for, these days?"

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's exactly it, except put good guys in green and bad guys in red in the "next up" section...and give yourself damage credit. The Minotaur was down to 64/90. It was a smart play, but you're fighting a crazed, drug-addicted bull man. Here's hoping those free hits pay out.

Dwight & Sterling:

As Dwight's blade twists through the minotaur, the creature gives a howl of pain and rage. It stumbles backward away from Dwight and Sterling with no regard for its own safety, lowers its head, and charges blindly into and over the detective. Barely stopping its wild motion, the ribald-addicted minotaur reaches down with one huge meat-packer's hand, grabbing the detective by the shoulder and hauling him upright and overhead in both hands like a living, squirming dumbbell.

Actions:
    Minotaur Ribber:
    Move Action: Move to (H,14), provoking Opportunity Attacks (OAs) from Sterling and Dwight!
    Standard Action: Goring Charge, 25 vs. AC to J14 against Dwight for 10 Damage, knocks Dwight prone. (OAs already provoked this turn).
    ACTION POINT SPENT: Grab, 25 vs. Ref against Dwight (No longer Prone, Grants CA.), Dwight is now grabbed.

Map:
    Tellarin.png

• The bar is 4 foot high. Athletics or Acrobatics 12 to vault it as part of a move. Otherwise, just treat it as difficult terrain to enter and get off it.

Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 32/42 | AC 16+5 | Fort 13 | Ref 18+5 | Will 15 (Dwight grants CA while grabbed, but gains +5 bonus to AC and Ref TEoNT) [OA against Minotaur]
    (M1) Minotaur Ribber - Init: 14 | HP = 64/90 | AC 18 | Fort 20 | Ref 15 | Will 17 (Slowed until EoDwightNT)
    :arrow:Sterling - Init: 14 | HP = 56/56 | AC 20 | Fort 18 | Ref 19 | Will 18 [OA against Minotaur]

Next up: Sterling!

Vered:
    It looks like your standard clandestine shipping operation, but with considerably more than you ever remember Bemiin getting in terms of business. Particularly, there are an abundance of cold-iron crates. Being an artificer, you know that's the sort of equipment you use to transport anything magical that's got a touch of the fey to it. Dangerous stuff, by and large, owing to its unpredictability. It was a fey-infused arcane ballista that you sold Bemiin that apparently "nearly blew off his hand." You did warn him that fey-powered equipment was unreliable, though, so, y'know, buyer-beware.

Ulhaedr smiles glibly at your remark. Bemiin cocks his head quizzically at her to give her permission to speak, and she does, in the quiet whisper that tends to accompany dangerous women down in these parts. "I'm well, Mr. Tavar, provided that bolt thrower of yours stays in that adorable coat sling. Wouldn't want things to get complicated." She eyes the severed head significantly. "Well, more complicated," she says, and smirks.

Bemiin smiles and shrugs. "Rat poisonings? Mr. Kabooms, many things Bemiin sells can be uses for rat poisoning. Many things Mr. Kabooms sells is many much better for rat killings, yes? Surely, Mr. Kabooms has not the reasonings to make the purchases of poisons from humble Bemiin. Mr. Kabooms would understand if Bemiin is not to be the forthgoing about Bemiin's customers. Wholesale is your way, is it not? And wholesale is Bemiin's way. It has freedom of...complications when time to makes the asking of questions."

Make an Insight Check.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I figured I'd be grapped eventually, just didn't think it would be so soon...ah Acrobatic Strike, I love you

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Crimson, don't forget to roll for your Opportunity Attack!

Sterling acts on reflex as the minotaur staggers away, and she lashes out with her sword as he passes by; the slash is short, and the blade hisses as it slices through empty air.
    Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+12 16 1d8+6 12

"Release him. Your quarrel is with me." The woman's voice is calm and even as she sidesteps into a more advantageous position behind the brute, but the ferocity of her next attack betrays her calm exterior. Raising her sword arm high, she brings it down at a hard angle and slices open a deep gash in the minotaur's back, a magical resonance rattling him down to his bones. Sterling allows the momentum of the swing to carry her in a full circle, and she comes around for a second strike. She cuts a follow-up blow perpendicular to the first one, carving the other half of the X shape into his flesh; an icy chill permeates the beast's body, and he would find his movements sluggish.
    Move: Shift into I14
    Standard: Booming Blade vs AC: 1d20+12+2 26 1d8+6 14
    Action Point!
    Standard: Frigid Blade vs AC: 1d20+12+2 28 1d8+6 7

Booming Blade Effect: "if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn, it takes 1d6 + Constitution modifier thunder damage."
    Frigid Blade Effect: "If the target starts its next turn adjacent to you, it takes a penalty to speed equal to your Constitution modifier until the end of its next turn."

Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 32/42 | AC 16+5 | Fort 13 | Ref 18+5 | Will 15 (Dwight grants CA while grabbed, but gains +5 bonus to AC and Ref TEoNT) [OA against Minotaur]
    (M1) Minotaur Ribber - Init: 14 | HP = 43/90 | AC 18 | Fort 20 | Ref 15 | Will 17 (Slowed until EoDwightNT)
    Sterling - Init: 14 | HP = 56/56 | AC 20 | Fort 18 | Ref 19 | Will 18 [OA against Minotaur]
    :arrow:(G2) Goblin Thug - Init: 11 | HP = 1/1 | AC 17 | Fort 15 | Ref 17 | Will 17

Next up: Goblin Thug!

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dwight takes a swing with his rapier, and he slashes nothing but air.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sterling & Dwight's Fight:

The gremlin ringleader takes a moment to get his bearings, but then, shaking his head, moves hastily behind one of his goblin thugs as the creature pulls out its crossbow and takes aim at Sterling, but the bolt shatters against her powerful aura.

The ringleader gibbers in an odd language while holding out a strange green crystal, and then shouts in common, "We need to go, now! With the silence orb broken thanks to the idiot cow, University Watch is gonna come down on us. Get it together and let's split!"

The chainfighter in his employ seems unconcerned. "Plurg, you screw-up louse, look at Qeffer. There's no way he can even hear you. He's on the rage now. Kurp, don't listen to him. Just keep shooting or you'll wind up dead as Krup." The chain lashes out toward the suspended Dwight and would have caught the detective solidly in the side were it not for the Swordmage's aegis slashing through the air and deflecting the damage, leaving a more superficial cut in its place, but the strange grayish-green aura still burns into the investigator's wound, causing the drow to growl briefly in agony.

"Ribbers ain't my problem, Golk. If the cow man can't handle the powder, we leave him to it."

Actions:
    Goblin Grunt:

Standard: Crossbow vs. AC at Sterling, 17 - Miss
    Move to (H,17)

Gremlin Ringleader:
    Standard -> Move: (A,12) to (G,13)
    Move: (G,13) to (G,17)
    Minor: Slip Up vs. Will at Sterling, 16 - Miss
    ACTION POINT Standard: Befuddling Burst vs. Will including Dwight & Sterling, 27, 26 - Hits both for 13 Psychic Damage, Sterling and Dwight cannot shift or stand up if knocked prone, Save Ends both.

Hobgoblin Chainfighter:
    Standard: Spike Chain vs. AC at Dwight, 26 (27 - 3 Aegis, +2 for CA, so -1) - Hit for 8 damage, reduced to 3 by Sterling, and Dwight loses a healing surge. Sterling gains 3 THP and the Chainfighter Shifts 2 squares to (I,15)

That's it for the APs. Blame the DMG. It tells me to burn shit up front.

Map:
    Tellarin.png

:arrow: Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 29/42 | AC 16+5 | Fort 13 | Ref 18+5 | Will 15 (Dwight grants CA while grabbed, but gains +5 bonus to AC and Ref TEoNT, cannot shift, cannot stand if knocked prone [save ends both])
    (M1) Minotaur Ribber - Init: 14 | HP = 43/90 | AC 18 | Fort 20 | Ref 15 | Will 17 (Slowed until EoDwightNT, Booming Blade if he moves, Frigid Blade if he stays, basically fucked no matter what he does.)
    Sterling - Init: 14 | (Temp) HP = (46) 43/56 | AC 20 | Fort 18 | Ref 19 | Will 18 (cannot shift, cannot stand if knocked prone [save ends both])

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sneak Attack damage was added separately because map wasn't updated with Sterling's shift behind the Minotaur, which grants CA to Dwight. Also added +1 to each attack because I didn't notice until after all the rolls.
    Dwight smiles and with a twist he slips the grip of the Minotaur and slashes the beast across it's belly. Landing Dwight quickly spins on his heel and drags his rapier across the minotaurs face, slashing at its eyes and blinding it. The savagery of Dwight's blows nearly fell the beast in a single turn.
    Minor: Activate Talon Amulet - Any enemy that hits me with a melee attack takes 1d6 damage
    Standard: Acrobatic Strike (auto-escape) grab: 1d20+11 = 30 vs Minotaur AC Hit! 13 damage
    Action Point!
    Standard: Go For The Eyes 1d20+11 = 27 vs Minotaur AC Hit! 19 damage
    Sneak Attack: 2d6 = 10 damage

Save vs ongoing effects: 1d20 = 4

Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 29/42 | AC 16 | Fort 13 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Cannot shift, cannot stand if knocked prone [save ends both])
    :arrow:(M1) Minotaur Ribber - Init: 14 | HP = 1/90 | AC 18 | Fort 20 | Ref 15 | Will 17 (Booming Blade if he moves, Frigid Blade if he stays, basically fucked no matter what he does. Blinded and Can't shift until EoDwightsNT, until EoE whenever Dwight deals damage it can't shift and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls )
    Sterling - Init: 14 | (Temp) HP = (46) 43/56 | AC 20 | Fort 18 | Ref 19 | Will 18 (cannot shift, cannot stand if knocked prone [save ends both])
    Next up: Minotaur!

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dwight & Sterling:
    The minotaur screams in agony as he grips his bloodied face, stumbling about and swinging his enormous hammer wildly as Dwight slips nimbly away from his grasp, still feeling the weight of the strange magic from the gremlin's amulet befuddling his normally nimble feet. Sterling's blade crackles with electricity and thunder explodes out, buffeting the Minotaur and tossing him from his hooves. He swings his horned head wildly and tosses his hammer at Dwight as he collapses to the carpet, blood welling from his various wounds.

Actions:
    Minotaur Ribber:

Minor: Equip Warhammer
    Standard: Swing Wildly (roll 1d8 to determine square targeted.
    [1=(I,15), 2=(J,15), 3=(K,15), 4=(K,14), 5=(K,13), 6=(J,13), 7=(I,13), 8=(I,14)]: Targeting (I,14) with an 8 - Warhammer vs. (I,14)'s AC: 13 - Miss

Move: To (K,15), provokes OA from both of you. (Dead even if you miss, but go for the swings to stop Dwight from getting hit. You can update Dwight's health if you manage to take down the druggie pre-emptively. Rolling a 6 would have him target nothing on his death-strike if you interrupt his movement, so it would negate that otherwise very neat ability.)

Free: Ferocity (Melee Basic)
    Targeting Dwight's Square with a 6 (same process as before) - Warhammer vs. AC: 30 - 5 - 2 = 23 - Hit for 11 damage.

Map:
    Tellarin.png

Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 18/42 | AC 16 | Fort 13 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Bloodied, Cannot shift, cannot stand if knocked prone [save ends both])
    [strike](M1) Minotaur Ribber - Init: 14 | HP = 1/90 | AC 18 | Fort 20 | Ref 15 | Will 17 [/strike]
    :arrow:Sterling - Init: 14 | (Temp) HP = (46) 43/56 | AC 20 | Fort 18 | Ref 19 | Will 18 (cannot shift, cannot stand if knocked prone [save ends both])

Also, Clank and Rieva are waiting on me aren't they? My bad. I will get to that this afternoon.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Vered furrows his brow at the Gith.

"Here's the thing, Bemiin; there's that whole unwritten rule about not sellin' shit to the wrong sorta folks. You get the Watch's back up, and they decide to bring the crackdown, I get hosed because you were bein' a dipshit."

Vered pulls the receipt out of one of his pockets.

"This looks an awful lot like your writing, boss. Reisduum, 'Rat Poison' that apparently goes for 10 fuckin' pieces a silver, and something that starts with 'Tri-'. I'd like to know who bought this stuff from you, Bemiin. I want to know what that last item on this receipt is, too."
    Insight: 1d20+6 14

Oh God I'm gonna blow all these checks now. :P

Can Mos Nassam make some insight checks too?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dwight swings wildly, but having to focus on avoiding the Minotaurs swings causes him to miss with his attack.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey sorry for holding everything up, but I think its going to continue for some time. It sort of all hit at once.

So Im going to bow out - I know you had plenty of people that will be able to post more regularly than I.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well that sucks. We are totally gonna miss you Wasser. I hope everything turns out ok for you

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sterling makes another opportunistic swing at the drug-addled behemoth, but just as last time she whiffs completely.
    Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+12 15 1d8+6 12

Looks like you're eatin' that attack, Crimson. :| Better Second Wind on your turn, I can't pick you up if you drop!

Sterling casts a quick sidelong glance at the new combatants and changes her battle plan; she snaps her arm outward in the direction of the ringleader and the silver mark fades away from the hobgoblin's chest, reappears on her hand and then leaps outward again onto the gremlin's sternum.

Turning her attention back to the foe standing in front of her, she tightens her grip on her weapon as the blade glows a dark orange. The woman whirls in a quick circle and slashes across the chainfighter's lower abdomen, and an identical mark flickers faintly to life over the wound.
    Minor: Aegis of Shielding on D1; H1 is no longer marked
    Standard: Sword of Sigils vs AC: 1d20+12 17 1d8+6 14 H1 is now marked until the end of Sterling's next turn

Saving Throw: Saving throw: 1d20 7 Failure!

If H1 attacks Sterling during his turn, she will respond with Frost Backlash (1d20+12 vs Reflex, 3d8+6 Cold damage, half on a miss - I'll probably be at work so DM will have to roll this)

If D1 makes an attack that does not include Sterling on his turn, she will respond with Transposing Lunge as part of her Aegis interrupt (1d20+12 vs AC, 2d8+6 and D1 is teleported into a space adjacent to Sterling - once again, will be at work, DM will have to roll)

(H1) Hobgoblin Chainfighter - Init: 19 | HP = 64/64 | AC 17 | Fort 17 | Ref 18 | Will 16 (Aegis of Shielding until EoSterling'sNT, -3 to Attack Anyone but Sterling TEoE/Dead/Removed)
    Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 18/42 | AC 16 | Fort 13 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Bloodied, Cannot shift, cannot stand if knocked prone [save ends both])
    [strike](M1) Minotaur Ribber - Init: 14 | HP = 1/90 | AC 18 | Fort 20 | Ref 15 | Will 17 [/strike]
    :arrow:(G2) Goblin Thug - Init: 11 | HP = 1/1 | AC 17 | Fort 15 | Ref 17 | Will 17
    (D1) Gremlin Ringleader - Init: 6 | HP = 63/63 | AC 19 | Fort 16 | Ref 18 | Will 17 (Aegis of Shielding, -3 to Attack Anyone but Sterling TEoE/Dead/Removed)

Next up: Goblin Thug!

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey sorry for holding everything up, but I think its going to continue for some time. It sort of all hit at once.

So Im going to bow out - I know you had plenty of people that will be able to post more regularly than I.

Ack, that does bite. Hope all is well IRL, Wass.

hotran on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think that Dwight might be taking an easy round this time...I can't believe that neither of us could hit that damn minotaur. Even with CA and the bastard being blind :(

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just back off and Second Wind it, Sterling can hold the fort for a round.

The Gods of Basic Melee Attacks are conspiring against us, Crimson.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yea, bastards...that's my plan, gonna get as far back as possible, try and get cover, then heal

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Ironically, very few for the Controller role. Sorry to lose you, Wass, but here's hoping nothing's too dire IRL.

I also can't think of a graceful exit for Mos Nasam from the story at the moment.

But, to combat:

Dwight & Sterling:
    Sterling, (D1) Ringleader's not in range of your Aegis (burst 2) unless you move, which would provoke an OA from the chainfighter since you can't shift.

I'm gonna go ahead and do their turns anyway, because it doesn't change much of what was gonna happen. If you want to take the OoA and impose the -3 to hit Dwight, you can, but it's not going to help a whole lot.

As the minotaur expires and Sterling targets a slash directly across Golk's midsection, the goblinoid's ringleader, an unsavory-looking gremlin apparently named "Plurg," floats his strange crystal in the air again, his eyes glowing with preternatural light as he shoves his lackey forward. "Kurp or Krup, whichever one you are - go get 'er!"

Glancing about him nervously but more concerned with the weird magics the gremlin wields, the goblin obliges, dropping his crossbow and charging at Sterling, but stumble overs the wreckage of the apartment and swings wildly as he comes into range.

Plurg slaps his face annoyedly, then mutters something gibbering and fey-like. A bolt of orange light erupts from the strange crystal, wrapping about the swordswoman's feet and dragging her to the ground. Chortling with himself, the gremlin raises his elbow and bashes the room's only window.

The chainfighter, Golk, dances backward away from the slash as Sterling is forced the floor by the gremlin's insidious magic and grins malevolently. He whips his chain around his back and lashes out again in a whirlwind, striking both the prone Sterling and the exhausted Dwight. The spiked weapon punches through Sterling's aura, causing it to briefly flicker as the chain slashes across her shoulder, the grayish-green aura sapping even more strength from the befuddle swordfighter. Even as the weapon batters through her aura, Sterling's blade flashes blue and she stabs it into the chainfighter's leg mid-spin, frost and ice shooting up over the hobgoblin's leg and toward his torso. As howls in rage and whirls to view his handiwork, he gapes in shock upon seeing that Sterling's magic takes the brunt of the force from the chain and it only nicks the detective in the shoulder.

Actions:
    Goblin Thug
    Move: Move to (F,13)
    Minor: Drop Crossbow, Draw Short Sword
    Standard: Charge (+1 to Atk) to (H,13) at Sterling, 17 vs. AC - Whiff
    Free: Be super nervous about life choices.

Gremlin Ringleader
    Move: Move to (K,17)
    Minor: Slip-Up Sterling, 25 vs. Will - Hit, Sterling Knocked Prone (actually kind of good for you)
    Standard - Strength Check to Break Window, 23 - Window Broken.

Hobgoblin Chainfighter
    Move: Shift to (J,15)
    Standard: Revolving Strike at Sterling & Dwight, 24 + 2 (Prone CA) vs. AC - Hit Sterling for 9 damage and Sterling loses a healing surge.

Sterling - Immediate Interrupt: Frost Backlash vs Ref: 1d20+12 29 3d8+6 20, hits!
    Dwight: 24 - 3 = 21 vs. AC - Hit Dwight for 10, reduced to 2 by Aegis of Shiedling, Sterling gains 3 THP.

If Sterling Misses the Goblin on her turn, it will shift back to (G,13).

Map:
    Tellarin.png

(H1) Hobgoblin Chainfighter - Init: 19 | HP = 30/64 | AC 17 | Fort 17 | Ref 18 | Will 16 (Bloodied, Aegis of Shielding until EoSterling'sNT, -3 to Attack Anyone but Sterling TEoE/Dead/Removed)
    :arrow: Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 16/42 | AC 16 | Fort 13 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Bloodied, Cannot shift, cannot stand if knocked prone [save ends both])
    Sterling - Init: 14 | (Temp) HP = (40) 37/56 | AC 20 | Fort 18 | Ref 19 | Will 18 (prone, cannot shift, cannot stand [save ends both])
    (D1) Gremlin Ringleader - Init: 6| HP = 63/63 | AC 19 | Fort 16 | Ref 18 | Will 17

It's amazing how easily you can disregard 3 Temp HP, but it takes the sting out of most attacks. Also, that Reduce 8 interrupt is super cool. Dwight would be 5 ways of fucked up if both of those Spiked Chain attacks had hit him full-on.

Interro, don't let me forget your White Lotus Riposte. It doesn't apply because Sword of Sigils was encounter, but that automatic 4 damage is super nice for a melee arcanist.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Boyce, would it be too odd to have either one of us or yourself play Mos Nassam until an exit makes sense? Also, Rieva and I are still in that hallway =P

hotran on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    God damn it. I choose to defer blame to Crimson and Interrobang, because I am totally not responsible for my own failures. Ever. Especially not as the guy running the game and forgetting to run the game. Hotran, if you or anyone else wants to play Mos Nasam until the shakedown is finished, I would appreciate it. Then I'll contact licwid and Teyar and see if they're available for their controllers, though I still can't decide how Teyar's guy functions, mechanically, from the controller perspective. Seems odd to have 2 strikers, 2 defenders, 1 leader and a hybrid that's technically a striker but could serve some functions as a controller. If you guys want to PM me with your opinions on how you want to fill out the last spot (or if you want to), being that it's now as much your game as it is mine, I'll be more than happy to work off a quasi-consensus.

Rieva and Clank:
    As you beat a hasty retreat from the office and as casually down the corridor toward the front door as possible, you can see that your suspicions were correct: it's the two officers of the Watch you passed on your way in, the ones that gave Clank the stink eye. As they see you, particularly clank, they seem to tense slightly and come to a stop about 20 feet from the front door. The one officer thumbs his utility belt, unconsciously letting his hand drift closer toward the shock-stick and sword hanging in their scabbards off his left hip. He raises an eyebrow at his partner, then addresses Rieva.

"Ho, there, miss. You know this is government property? No access unless badged and permitted by the on-duty mortician. 'Side, that rustbucket of yours shouldn't be in here, at all, permission or no." He looks over your shoulders toward the office door, (which he can't see into directly) and calls, "Hey, Cleg! Get out here and get to explaining."

His partner reaches up to the flashing Sharn Watch Sigil on his shoulder, a more rare device you know is capable of contacting their Watch House, and runs his thumb across its runes, apparently trying to warm it up in case he needs to activate it.

You're not in the 15-minute window thing for this brief conversation. You can make one each of any 2 of the following before the watchmen respond:

Insight Check, DC12:
    These two have a serious chip on their shoulder about Clank, and you get the sense that they may have be looking for him to cause trouble. Don't try to intimidate them, or it'll go bad. +2 to diplomacy or bluff.
    History Check, DC12:
    You know that there's no law, officially, barring warforged from operating on government property. Also, ownership of warforged is not illegal (yet slavery is. Go figure), but it is frowned upon, so this pair has a chip on their shoulder about Clank already. Succeed at this, and you can add +2 to Diplomacy or Bluff.

Bluff Check, DC17
    Diplomacy Check, DC17

The room you're in is shaped like this, where the indentation is the entrance to Cleg's office:
    |_____]__
    |_______]
    |_____]
    |_C_R_|
    |_____|
    |__XX_|
    |_____|
    |_____|
    |_____|
    |_____|

So, that's the crudest map ever on a Play-By-Post, but my FTP thing is misbehaving, so I don't have the image ready for you yet. You'll get a map, sure enough, but it may be a bit.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Insight Check: 1d20+5 = 16

Clank has been harassed by the Watch more than he'd like to remember, and he knows proceeding in his usual fashion would bring more heat than would be convenient with Cleg's remains bare feet away...

I'll wait on DarkMatter before continuing, but likely the Diplomacy check will be next.

hotran on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dwight flips his sword upside down in a defensive posture as he reaches inside his coat and pulls out his flask of scotch. Quickly flipping open off the lid he takes a swig. Feeling his body warm up, he feels refreshed and ready to get back into the fight! As the alcohol flows through his system, his legs don't feel quite as heavy as before and he feels that he can move much better than before.
    Standard: Second Wind
    Free: Saving Throw, 1d20 = 12

(H1) Hobgoblin Chainfighter - Init: 19 | HP = 30/64 | AC 17 | Fort 17 | Ref 18 | Will 16 (Bloodied, Aegis of Shielding until EoSterling'sNT, -3 to Attack Anyone but Sterling TEoE/Dead/Removed)
    Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 26/42 | AC 16+2 | Fort 13+2 | Ref 18+2 | Will 15+2 (+2 to all defenses until BoMNT, Until EoE any melee attack that hits Dwight, the enemy takes 1d6 damage)
    :arrow:Sterling - Init: 14 | (Temp) HP = (40) 37/56 | AC 20 | Fort 18 | Ref 19 | Will 18 (prone, cannot shift, cannot stand [save ends both])
    (D1) Gremlin Ringleader - Init: 6| HP = 63/63 | AC 19 | Fort 16 | Ref 18 | Will 17

Did the Goblin who hit me take his 1d6 damage for my activating the dragon amulet? I don't think it got posted to the statuses so I updated it

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I have a feeling that gremlin's about to hop out that window - try and Intimidate the Chainfighter into giving it up, Crimson. Would help to at least have someone to question.

Sterling hits the ground with a thud and grits her teeth - for the first time since the fight has started, she's actually looking a little frustrated. Finding herself trapped between the chainfighter and the surprisingly inept lackey, she brings her sword up from her position on the ground and slams the end of the hilt onto the ground.

There is a noise like a thunderclap, and the wave of force that surges from the point of impact shatters the goblin's ribcage; he crumples to the ground in a lifeless heap, his eyes rolling back into his head. As the chainfighter reels from the pain, she takes advantage of his distraction to truly brand him with her aegis.
    Standard: Sword Burst vs Reflex: 1d20+9-2 26 1d20+9-2 21 1d6+6 9

H1 is now subject to White Lotus Riposte.

Saving throw: 1d20 12

(H1) Hobgoblin Chainfighter - Init: 19 | HP = 21/64 | AC 17 | Fort 17 | Ref 18 | Will 16 (Bloodied, Aegis of Shielding, -3 to Attack Anyone but Sterling TEoE/Dead/Removed)
    Dwight - Init: 16 | HP = 26/42 | AC 16+2 | Fort 13+2 | Ref 18+2 | Will 15+2 (Bloodied, Cannot shift, cannot stand if knocked prone [save ends both])
    Sterling - Init: 14 | (Temp) HP = (40) 37/56 | AC 20 | Fort 18 | Ref 19 | Will 18 (prone)
    [strike](G2) Goblin Thug - Init: 11 | HP = 1/1 | AC 17 | Fort 15 | Ref 17 | Will 17 [/strike]
    :arrow:(D1) Gremlin Ringleader - Init: 6| HP = 63/63 | AC 19 | Fort 16 | Ref 18 | Will 17

Next up: Gremlin Ringleader!

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am actually thinking about chasing him down if he runs out the window. What do you think?

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I would say either you or Sterling should go for it, although he is quite healthy looking at the moment.

hotran on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You'd have to do it - Sterling doesn't have the skills to chase and you'd probably get brutalized by the chainfighter on your own.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yea, I'm thinking that if I chase after the ringleader provided I can keep him occupied long enough I have a +12 to intimidate. What are the rules on that again? I know once he is bloodied I can try it, but I forgot the DC modifiers

Crimson Phantom on