As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting a New Cat soon, tips?

lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Dear PA,

I have read many a thread on pets. I have, after 3 years, of living on my own and having a somewhat stable job decided to get a cat. What I need advice on is what type of cat should I get? Also, any tips on cat proofing an apartment? Lastly, is 674 sq feet big enough to have a cat?

Facts:

I am gone from 8:30 - 7:00 PM every day ( Commute+ Work + Gym)

I am on the first floor

I have never had a pet like this, had two turtles when I was little (Michelangelo and Leonardo)

I have a lot of small figurines and action figures, those are probably destined for display cases correct?

Thanks in advance!

lsukalel on

• rizriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cats are pretty good with being left alone while you're at work, expect him/her to be waiting at the door when you get home though. My cat is sort of a standoffish bitch, but I still hear her squeaking through my apartment door from the hallway when I walk up the stairs at night. My mom's cats lounge around all day but they're up her ass all night. If you've been living alone for years, it's nice to have someone happy to see you home!

Re: the action figures, probably, but it really depends on the cat. My aunt's cat will knock anything over that even remotely moves or he doesn't think should be where it is. My cat has only ever done that when she was pissed at me for ignoring her for too long.

The worst thing about my cat is she likes to eat certain items of clothing. Anything ribbon-like, or shiny/sheer or lace. Depending on your clothing preferences and those of people who stay at your place, this may never be a problem, but just throwing it out there.

riz on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since won't have time to train, you should save a cat from the spca instead of opting for a kitten.
    Also if you are going to be gone long periods of the day, investing in a good scratching post or even a scratching playhouse, will help save your furniture/cat's sanity.
    A self-filling water dish couldn't hurt either,
    dogbowlwee.jpg

As for knocking stuff over, you won't know til you get your cat home, some will knock over anything and everything, others will go the reverse and do insane acrobatics between stuff ( altho they aren't perfect and will also knock stuff over , just not purposefully)
    So anything breakable/etc, case is probably best, but if cat ends up the latter type, can usually just not put stuff to near a shelf edge and it's fine.

Also, if going for an adult female cat, if possible, find one that was fixed after at least 1 litter, they tend to be more docile/loving and less standoffish than a 0 litter early fixing/late life fixed cat(2-3+ litters before being fixed)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited July 2010
    Also, if going for an adult female cat, if possible, find one that was fixed after at least 1 litter, they tend to be more docile/loving and less standoffish than a 0 litter early fixing/late life fixed cat(2-3+ litters before being fixed)

That is interesting, if true.

riz on
    edited July 2010
    riz wrote: »

Less a scientific fact, more an observation ( I've worked with an Animal Sanctuary/Spca for 10 years+ on the side, and both have noticed it firsthand, and been told this by vets and such, but could just be a coincidence thing as I said, no research basis, just an observation over the years.)

WiseManTobes on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    riz wrote: »

I personally haven't found it to be true and we have had a lot of cats. It really depends on the personality of the cat and the cat's history - the cat we have which was abused at the place we got it from is much stranger and less "pick me up and cuddle", obviously, and the cat that we got as a 4 week old kitten (mother was killed by a car, teacher was giving them away to try to save their lives) is the friendliest, cuddliest cat you could want. Ideally if you want a cuddly cat you need to spend time with cats until you find one who is very people-friendly, rubs against the bars and your hand, follows you around as much as it can, etc. Even then it's a tossup; my mom got her previously abused cat because the cat was attacking the person who was feeding her, and she is a little weird and standoffish and hisses a lot (no scratching or biting, though) but will follow me around the house, rub up against my legs, climb in my lap, and on occasion sleep in my bed.

For general advice, get a cheap cat brush and see if your new kitty likes it; a few little toys (toy mice packed in a baggie of catnip generally go over very well) but don't spend too much on those - cats are picky bastards; at least one (preferably two) large litter box you will clean pretty often; food bowl, watering bowl - a self watering thing is useful if your cat will use them but ours won't, they prefer either a bowl of fresh water or a filtering fountain type water bowl; a cardboard or other scratching pad that the cat can use; a few different types of cat treats.

Flea control will probably be necessary and you should plan on it. Even though you have no other pets, fleas can tag along on your clothes, especially in warmer months, and end up in your apartment. Never, ever, EVER use a flea collar on your cat. Flea collars are good for only one thing, and that's for putting in your vacuum canister to kill fleas that you have picked up while cleaning. Get a good prescription flea medication from your vet. It may seem expensive, but it costs far less than having to take kitty to the vet because they are having an allergic reaction to fleas.

Plan on at least a $20-40 a month maintenance cost for your cat just in kitty litter and food, and put some away in savings in case your cat has an accident and needs care. And perhaps most importantly, plan on your new cat having several days of being uncomfortable and hiding once you get it to your place; it will be in a new place, it doesn't know what's going on, and it needs time to acclimate. Be patient and stay calm and your cat will eventually relax and be friendlier toward you.

cabsy on
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you decide to get a kitten . . . get two! They'll play with each other when you're not there and wear each other out. Kittens make friends with each other much more quickly than (most) adult cats.

The thing about female cats being more loving if they've had a litter is a load of crap.

If you want a cat with a specific personality type, get an adult. Some will be aloof, some will be extremely friendly, etc. Kittens are adorable, but a crapshoot. I got a siamese mix kitten--looked JUST like a full-blooded Siamese, except orange points (I guess some "real" siamese have orange points too) and as he grew up, his fur got much darker and oranger and he's really stocky. Now he looks like a kind of creamy colored orange tabby, built like a football player. I mean, I wouldn't trade him for the world, but he's not the sleek looking Siamese I expected.

LadyM on
    edited August 2010
    Said twice now it's an observation, not scientific fact, but thanks for threadshitting.

@ Esh, TY for that article Esh, gonna have to switch my autofeeders ( my pet's dailies, and the bowls at the sanc are all ceramic or stainless, so never noticed, but I don't want to take a chance now even in short term with the autofeeder I have.

WiseManTobes on
  • lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am actually pretty sold on getting a cat from 1- 3 years old. I am gonna go down to the Austin Humane Society and get one on September 15. Gonna be scouting for the next month and a half. I am gonna use this time to do research, purchase items, and save up money. Thanks for all the tips, again I have never had a real traditional pet so I need all the help I can get.

lsukalel on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A self-filling water dish couldn't hurt either,
    As for knocking stuff over, you won't know til you get your cat home, some will knock over anything and everything, others will go the reverse and do insane acrobatics between stuff ( altho they aren't perfect and will also knock stuff over , just not purposefully) ...

I'd stay away from a refilling bowl for two reasons. One, they're plastic. Two, if your cat is at all interested in water, expect to wake up every morning with the bowl flipped over and a half gallon of water all over your floor. Get a good, heavy, large ceramic bowl.

Also, echoing "get two cats." They'll play and enjoy each others company much more that way. Your space shouldn't be a problem. Our apartment is around 720 square feet, and we have 4 cats. They'll find where they like to spend their time.

Also, good on you going to the local humane society. Lots of good kitties need a home. They will be far more healthy if you come back and post a picture once they're home, too. Some weird medical connection...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't overrhink it. Any cat will be happy to not be in ashelterr with a sunspot, toys and regular food.just head to the shelter find the one you think is cute and adopt it. It is not like you are recruiting it to be left tackle for your football team.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    mts wrote: »
    Don't overrhink it. Any cat will be happy to not be in ashelterr with a sunspot, toys and regular food.just head to the shelter find the one you think is cute and adopt it. It is not like you are recruiting it to be left tackle for your football team.

Good call, I have a tendency to do that. I am only waiting so long because my next "fun" paycheck is spoken for and my apartment requires a $500 pet deposit. September 15th is when the funds will be available.

lsukalel on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd second the getting two cats advice, unless that's going to be too costly. Girls tend to be less trouble than toms.

815165 on
    edited August 2010
    If you do get a male cat, make sure he was neutered before he started spraying. It's basically impossible to break a cat of marking if he's had a lot of past history with spraying. I'm not sure it's totally impossible - all our male cats have been neutered before they started spraying/marking - but it is difficult and it will make your place smell gross to have a cat peeing on your walls.

cabsy on
    edited August 2010
    cabsy wrote: »
    Ideally if you want a cuddly cat you need to spend time with cats until you find one who is very people-friendly, rubs against the bars and your hand, follows you around as much as it can, etc. Even then it's a tossup; my mom got her previously abused cat because the cat was attacking the person who was feeding her, and she is a little weird and standoffish and hisses a lot (no scratching or biting, though) but will follow me around the house, rub up against my legs, climb in my lap, and on occasion sleep in my bed.

Yeah this is hard to say. My mom's most cuddle-whore cat was like a ghost for the first few months they had him. He was abused in his old home and the shelter asked if my parents would take him too for free when they picked out a different cat who they said he was friendly with. He spent awhile bolting if you looked towards him, but if you happened to sneak up on him while he was sleeping and pet him, he'd roll around and obviously was happy, just too scared to allow it otherwise. Eventually he got used to his new life and now he's the best cat.

riz on
    edited August 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    I'd second the getting two cats advice, unless that's going to be too costly. Girls tend to be less trouble than toms.

The small trouble with two cats is that they may not get along. If you go this route, put them together at the shelter and see how they mix.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    well given enough time most cats will eventually tolerate each other. the younger they are the easier it is. if you get young guys if they are from the same litter its almost a given

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Make sure you change the cat litter at least every other day. In my house I don't often have time to do it and the rest of my family never come in the basement so if I don't do it nobody will. I get around to it every 4 - 5 days, but I also have to go around the basement picking up shit off the ground. Maybe your cats won't be as picky as mine, but having to think "is there cat shit all over the place?" everytime I have friends coming over isn't fun.

Wezoin on
    edited August 2010
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Make sure you change the cat litter at least every other day. In my house I don't often have time to do it and the rest of my family never come in the basement so if I don't do it nobody will. I get around to it every 4 - 5 days, but I also have to go around the basement picking up shit off the ground. Maybe your cats won't be as picky as mine, but having to think "is there cat shit all over the place?" everytime I have friends coming over isn't fun.

If you do it everyday, it takes about 60 seconds. For your poor cat's sakes, do it every day or other.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    and by change he means clean or scoop not actually empty out the litter and put fresh in.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I recommend getting an adult cat from a shelter. Shelter cats are usually as friendly as a pet store cat and you'll feel good about giving it a new home. Kittens are cute but they are a lot of trouble and a pain the ass. I couldn't wait for my kitten to grow up and calm down a little.

Two cats are best especially if you'll be absent most of the time, but one cat will be fine on its own.

Don't spend a fortune on toys. Just get a few small balls and toy mice. Or just crumple up some paper.

Taya on
    edited August 2010
    Taya wrote: »

Don't spend a fortune on toys. Just get a few small balls and toy mice. Or just crumple up some paper.

Also, Boxes, it's like crack for cats.

WiseManTobes on
    edited August 2010

Also, Boxes, it's like crack for cats.

And paper bags. My cat loves the rings from milk jugs as well.

Esh on
  • dasZombie42dasZombie42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Be sure to get food or treats that has something for hairballs.

And don't spend too much money on toys. I bought my cat a bunch of toys and her favorite thing to play with was a crumpled up paper ball.

Also, a scratching post isn't guaranteed to stop a cat from scratching the furniture. I had one but she still went to the couch sometimes.

dasZombie42 on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, a scratching post isn't guaranteed to stop a cat from scratching the furniture. I had one but she still went to the couch sometimes.

For couch scratchers you can get double-sided tape. Not the kind you get at an office store, but the kind you get at the pet store. The stickiness is different, and the tape size is different on the pet store type.

Double-sided tape totally broke one of my cats from scratching the couches. He only scratches the post now. The 2nd cat, he still attacks the couch every so often. Even with the tape :p . He just looks for places with not tape.

And I don't think I saw food type mentioned. High quality food will make for a happier and healthier cat in the long run. I switched from IAMS to Wellness a year or so ago, and there's been a noticeable difference in their coats and the litter box has been much, much cleaner and less smelly.

Selner on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I agree with the two cats advice.

And quality, dry food will keep them from shitting everywhere. It's worth the extra money.

The best toy I ever bought them was a box.

They also like laser pointers. Gotta keep it out of their eyes, though. Use a red one with a lower megawattage. The green astronomy pointers are too bright. Gotta mix it up with other toys so they can "win"... laser pointers can frustrate them if used too much.

They like tennis-ball bowling (I have a very long, open-planned house so I can "bowl" a ball from the kitchen to the front door), but that is more work.

I saved money and made my own "dangly" things... sticks with junk hanging off of them. They'll destroy the feathery shit you can get at Petco/Petsmart in less than two days. So, I used old khaki pants and cut them into strips and tied them off onto some long, thick dowel rods. The pants are just strong enough to keep their claws from getting hung up in them, so that helps. Make sure you get two... cats often pick which one is "theirs."

GungHo on
    edited August 2010
    I appreciate all the advice fellow forumers. I will follow almost all of it. I just am probably not getting two cats, I just don't see how with my apartment layout it would work. Its 674 but it feels smaller than that ya know? Plus I have never had to deal with a litter box or other issues so I really want to start small and learn before jumping in with two cats.

I am definitely gonna start the cat on blue buffalo and clean the litter box at least once a day and then clean it out completely once a week.

Thanks for the advice on making your own toys that makes a lot of sense. I also know to have a heavy base steel bowl as the cat wont otherwise knock it over. Yall have already provided great tips , and I have certinately read a lot already. Soooooo PLEASE! :) keep the tips coming for a little longer, I am looking for more practical tips that ya don't really think about till you have a cat, like the water bowl thing.

lsukalel on
    edited August 2010
    lsukalel wrote: »
    I appreciate all the advice fellow forumers. I will follow almost all of it. I just am probably not getting two cats, I just don't see how with my apartment layout it would work. Its 674 but it feels smaller than that ya know? Plus I have never had to deal with a litter box or other issues so I really want to start small and learn before jumping in with two cats.

I am definitely gonna start the cat on blue buffalo and clean the litter box at least once a day and then clean it out completely once a week.

Thanks for the advice on making your own toys that makes a lot of sense. I also know to have a heavy base steel bowl as the cat wont otherwise knock it over. Yall have already provided great tips , and I have certinately read a lot already. Soooooo PLEASE! :) keep the tips coming for a little longer, I am looking for more practical tips that ya don't really think about till you have a cat, like the water bowl thing.

Just be warned you will probably have to slowly introduce the new food, unless that's what the shelter is already feeding or you have a very unpicky cat. Same with new litter brands, etc, and some cats won't use specific types of litter or brands of litter - I used to have a cat that would ONLY use tidy cats indoor cat small spaces with crystals (there is a reason I still know the brand name, lol) and anything else would cause her to simply pee immediately outside the box until we bought the proper brand and type.

Also I haven't seen this mentioned, and you probably wouldn't do it anyway, but don't let your cat roam around outside. If you live in a second story or higher apartment with a balcony, you can let the cat out on the balcony, but I wouldn't leave it unattended; cats will jump from pretty high up if they think they have a good chance at landing, and ours used to try to jump off the second story patio pretty regularly.

cabsy on
    edited August 2010
    cabsy wrote: »
    lsukalel wrote: »

Just be warned you will probably have to slowly introduce the new food, unless that's what the shelter is already feeding or you have a very unpicky cat. Same with new litter brands, etc, and some cats won't use specific types of litter or brands of litter - I used to have a cat that would ONLY use tidy cats indoor cat small spaces with crystals (there is a reason I still know the brand name, lol) and anything else would cause her to simply pee immediately outside the box until we bought the proper brand and type.

Also I haven't seen this mentioned, and you probably wouldn't do it anyway, but don't let your cat roam around outside. If you live in a second story or higher apartment with a balcony, you can let the cat out on the balcony, but I wouldn't leave it unattended; cats will jump from pretty high up if they think they have a good chance at landing, and ours used to try to jump off the second story patio pretty regularly.

Oh the cat will totally be an indoor cat, we have some strays around I don't want it getting in fights with.

lsukalel on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Get your cat spayed/neutered.

Buy a scratching post and a spray bottle. Spray the cat if it scratches anywhere except the post, or if it jumps up on the kitchen counter etc.

Here's one: buy little cat nail clippers. When the cat is used to you, touch the cat's paws during your usual petting and snugglish sessions. Eventually you should be able to squeeze your cat's paw to see the claw without the cat getting mad. When your cat is fully comfortable with this, wrap it up in a towel like a burrito and clip the nails of one paw. Release the cat and give it treats. Repeat until all nails are clipped.

Neither of my cats love getting their nails clipped but they tolerate it. If you're careful not to clip the nail on the quick, it will be a painless process.

Taya on
    edited August 2010

Buy a scratching post and a spray bottle. Spray the cat if it scratches anywhere except the post, or if it jumps up on the kitchen counter etc.

This is just bad advice. Unless you can surprise the cat somehow with the water where they don't realize it's you, this will not work. The cats will only associate the consequence with you holding the bottle. Are you not there? They won't give a shit and will hop all over everything. All spraying them does is upset the cat.

Esh on
  • FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Here's one: buy little cat nail clippers. When the cat is used to you, touch the cat's paws during your usual petting and snugglish sessions. Eventually you should be able to squeeze your cat's paw to see the claw without the cat getting mad. When your cat is fully comfortable with this, wrap it up in a towel like a burrito and clip the nails of one paw. Release the cat and give it treats. Repeat until all nails are clipped.

Neither of my cats love getting their nails clipped but they tolerate it. If you're careful not to clip the nail on the quick, it will be a painless process.

I've found that a pair of human nail clippers works just as well for this. I used to wrap my cats up, but then I found that made them more nervous, so I eventually gave up on wrapping them, and just set them on my lap and let them growl. ^_^ It helps that they are now old and relatively feeble, though.

As far as litter is concerned, I go with the jonny cat natural or arm&hammer unscented. I've noticed that a scented litter box smells worse than an unscented one, and I don't think the cats like the perfumes in the litter either.

Washing the litter box in hot water and a bit of bleach when you change the litter completely is a pretty good idea, though I will say that completely dumping the litter every week seems a bit excessive... unless it's non-clumping litter.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Selner wrote: »
    And I don't think I saw food type mentioned. High quality food will make for a happier and healthier cat in the long run. I switched from IAMS to Wellness a year or so ago, and there's been a noticeable difference in their coats and the litter box has been much, much cleaner and less smelly.

This all the way. You cannot BELIEVE the difference.

Also, if you're on a tight budget, buy Costco's cat food brand, Kirklands. It's made by Diamond and it's a good quality food (first ingredient real cihcken, no grain fillers, etc.)

LadyM on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wet food. Wet food. Good quality wet food. Wellness is what I use, only the varieties which are grain free. Cats are obligate carnivores, and can't do shit nutritionally with carbs besides get fat off 'em. So you want something grain free, with lots of protein and fat, and wet is better than dry, as cats have an abysmal thirst drive and a tendency towards bladder/urinary track/kidney issues.

When you first get your cat, start them off in one room of your place with the door closed, preferably the one that the litter box is in. When they've calmed down and explored, you can let them out to see everything else. You just want to make sure they feel safe before they're overwhelmed with new stimuli.

Shelters feed cats crap dry food for the most part. It can be pretty addictive, sorta like feeding a kid twinkies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so transitioning them to a healthier food can be tricky. With mine we basically started off feeding him mostly the dry food the shelter was using, and over a week phased in more and more wet food. Wasn't any issue at all, but some cats are pickier than others. Do not allow your cat to go more than 48 hours without eating something, as it can lead to a fatal condition known as fatty liver disease. Some tricks that can help are sprinkling some Parmesan cheese over their food, or getting some tuna. Cats don't have much in the way of a sense of taste, but a very strong sense of smell, so that's how you can appeal to them that something is tasty.

Clean the litter box every day. Get a Litter Locker. They make the process a loooooot easier. I love mine. Bear in mind that even if they're using it properly, they may still kick litter out of the box when they're digging around in there. Place the box accordingly.

Get a scratching post, and reward the cat every time they use it.

Have fun! It can seem a little overwhelming and laden with responsibility, but within a week you'll be owning a pet like a champ.

Edit: One more thing. Since you're getting a single cat, you're they're primary source of social interaction, so you'll need to make sure they're getting enough attention and play. Everything from wrestling around with toys to petting and grooming him, to playing hide and seek or chasing him around the house. Or letting him chase you around the house. Cats will tolerate a harness and leash so you can even take him out on 'walks' if you want to. Just bear in mind, the leash is only there so he doesn't get away or into trouble, he'll mostly just go where he wants to. If you try to tug them they'll just lie down. I take mine outside around my house and he climbs the trees and eats grass and is generally happy about it.

Entriech on
    edited August 2010
    just use a pair of regular nail clippers, they work fine and are easy to use in the weird positions you sometimes get it into in order to clip a claw., start off with small bit until you get used to it. in order to make your life a lot easier once you get your cat play with his feet and practice gently extending his claws out. not only will this get you used to doing that, it will have your cat accustomed to you messing with his feet so he will stay calmer when you clip nails.

as far as litter goes. we use sweat scoop which is a wheat litter and i want to say step something. you can buy it at costco in a purple bag thing now though it used to come in a big tub.

my favorite clay litter used to be this clay litter that costco sold back west, Litter Purrfect. it came in a big green tub and had lemongrass in it. not nearly as cloudy or perfumy as any other clay litter, plus it was cheap.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    get an adult cat from a shelter please

Awk on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awk wrote: »
    get an adult cat from a shelter please
    An adult cat will be easier to look after, too, they're not going to drown themselves in your toilet like my friend's kitten did. :(

815165 on
    edited August 2010
    I highly recommend against ever letting your cat be an indoor/outdoor unless you like the idea of shortening its lifespan immensely. If you must though, make sure you're putting Frontline on him once a month.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    Entriech wrote: »
    Clean the litter box every day. Get a Litter Locker. They make the process a loooooot easier. I love mine. Bear in mind that even if they're using it properly, they may still kick litter out of the box when they're digging around in there. Place the box accordingly.

What is the point of that? Why not just put the clumped litter and poo into a plastic bag and dump it in your outside garbage to be collected? That thing is HUGE too. The OP is in a little apartment.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    i can see using that if its a pain to bring out trash etc, but for easy garbage just use old shopping bags.

also

totally changing out the litter once a week is overkill. especially if you clean it out everyday.

I usually do ours once a month. but we have 4 and i keep them clean

mts on
    camo_sig.png