As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cool grandfathers.

124»

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    my grandfathers both died before I could ask them what they did with their lives, they both were in WWII, and I'm certain that one had such a disregard for the grim reaper that he might have even served in WWI

Raneados on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    All my grandparents are dead.

Well, except granparents-in-law.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My grandfather had 5 wives, 20+ kids, and a hojillion of us grandkids.
    WHOOPS.jpg

Faricazy on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Faricazy wrote:
    WHOOPS.jpg

is that a street shark in your avatar? <3

tugga on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yes

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sami wrote:

LDS?

Nope, originally from mainland China, dirt poor, yet worked his way up to becoming a land tycoon in Malaysia, and got each of his wives and kids a house.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Faricazy wrote:
    yes

haha i didnt even look at your sig..

man am i a moron. lol

tugga on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Faricazy wrote:
    yes
    Jawsome

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I had the one with "lifelike skin" and rollerblades.

*EDIT*
    Oh yeah. My grandpa was a huge alcoholic. So bad that my dad and uncle threatened drag him into a hospital to get help. He kept screaming that he could quit at any time.

Finally they said they'd had enough of his bullshit and that they were taking him to a hospital the next day. He stopped drinking that night and the next day the doctor examined him and said he was as healthy as anyone could expect him to be. He never drank again.

He also claims to have an extra chamber in his heart. But what the fuck ever.

Remington on
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I never knew either of my grandfathers. One was long gone since my dad was a kid, the other died a little before I was born.

The one who died before I was born sounds kick ass though. Immigrated from the Philippines, went into the US Navy as a medic, was in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, and helped conceive and raise my mom and her brother and sister!

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Smoked pot with my gramps.

klok on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Remington wrote:
    I had the one with "lifelike skin" and rollerblades.

i had heavy rubber hand puppets.. they hurt real bad and usually left a black eye if you got 'attacked' by them

tugga on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only grandfather I had with really cool action stories died when my mom was a child (see first page). My other three grandparents still live and up until 2000 I had two living great-grandmothers and even remember my great-grandfather when he was alive. The great-grands were all from the Maine bloodline where I get my height/looks/Native American blood from. Because of them (I would wager) I have naturally low cholesterol and blood pressure, as does my brother. We have both been told by doctors that, "off the record" we can expect to live quite awhile provided we take decent care of ourselves. I think that's pretty rad.

My father's father was stationed in El Paso or San Antonio (I forget) during Korea. He was an airman and my grandma (whom he was dating at the time) moved down to be with him later on. On their 50th anniversary my uncles brought out a poem he had written at that time about watching bombers taking off from the air strip and thinking about his love.
    This was amazingly hilarious because the old man was the sort who would never so much as tell his sons he loved them. He was old-school all the way and ran a tough but fair household, so the sappy letter written by a lovesick teenager embarrassed the hell out of him. He demanded to know how my uncles and father had gotten hold of the letter.
    "You didn't think Ma would throw a sweet thing like this out do you, she's got a whole drawer full of them!"
    Priceless.

Recently, since he retired a few years back, he's been getting nostalgic and talking more about his adventures as a young man. His stories about his first car (a Buick I believe) and how it was one of the first models with a curved windshield, since the technology to make fitted glass was just hitting the market. His job in El Paso was to oversee the assembly and disassembly of bombs, but the rest is left up to speculation, as he isn't allowed to talk about what he did.

Overall the man's a cool guy. He ran a family-owned construction business that my father now shares with his brother. He has owned Lord-knows how many Cadillacs in his lifetime (since he really knows his shit running a business, he brought the company up from a no-account office to a real profitable operation). It seemed for awhile he'd be buying a new one every couple of years. No war stories, but I bet I could coax some good tales of childhood mischief next chance I get.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My Grandfather on my dad's side was a huge douchebag but also a huge badass. He was in the Air Force for WWII and Korea, if I'm not mistaken. A career air force guy.

My other grandfather is still alive today, although he's going pretty blind. Despite that he tries very hard to be technology forward. He has a sweet plasma TV and a laptop that he uses all the time, for horribly mundane shit too (like checking mail, and printing recipes).

He entered the navy at 17 and became a periscope operator.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One of my grandfathers loved sports and was raised by his great aunt - an old Indian woman who trapped beaver and sold pelts illegally across the Canadian border.

My other grandfather became a career drunk after his wife died and was kinda a dick.

They're both dead now.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "I guess one of the funniest memories of my grandfather was the time I was at his house and that tied-up man with the gag in his mouth came hopping out of the closet and started yelling that HE was really my grandfather and the other guy was an imposter and to run for help. Who was that guy?! Oh, well, never saw HIM again."

jack handey

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My grandfather was the son of an Indian (like, from India) who escaped form an anthropological exhibition in Germany. He was forced to "volunteer" for front line fighting and won the Iron Cross 2nd grade for fucking people's shit up. When the Germans retreated form the Eastern front he was captured in what was then Czechoslovakia by the Russians and was a prisoner of war untill 1949. He returned home and fucked like a hundred women while he was maried to my grand mother, got rich of some feterlizer thing, divorced, maried one of his floozies and moved th Southern Germany where he lives to this day.

His core belief is that he and men like him saved Western Europe from the reds. He is pretty much a dick.

Edit: I've told this story too many times. Next time, I'm just going to make somehting up.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Peter Ebel wrote:
    My grandfather was the son of an Indian (like, from India) who escaped form an anthropological exhibition in Germany. He was forced to "volunteer" for front line fighting and won the Iron Cross 2nd grade for fucking people's shit up. When the Germans retreated form the Eastern front he was captured in what was then Czechoslovakia by the Russians and was a prisoner of war untill 1949. He returned home and fucked like a hundred women while he was maried to my grand mother, got rich of some feterlizer thing, divorced, maried one of his floozies and moved th Southern Germany where he lives to this day.

His core belief is that he and men like him saved Western Europe from the reds. He is pretty much a dick.

Edit: I've told this story too many times. Next time, I'm just going to make somehting up.
    Good luck, that's a pretty tight story.
    You best put a velociraptor in the next one.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Peter Ebel wrote:

Good luck, that's a pretty tight story.
    You best put a velociraptor in the next one.

It certainly reads a lot better than my life so far.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm glad that at least someone hear has a Kraut grandfather.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    OK, so my grandpa did all the normal stuff. He dropped out of high school, joined the Navy underage, and served in the Pacific Theater, as a signalman on a troop transport. People who know their shit know how dangerous that job was. But really, most people's grandpas were in harm's way repeatedly back then. That's not why I think he's so rad.

This guy was a total prankster and boozer. He was a hard worker, but also a hard partier. And he loved and enjoyed life. We all thought that he was a hugely irresponsible twat, though, who only survived to his golden years because Nana had her shit together. Seriously. This was the sort of guy who didn't seem like he would remember to make house payments or show up for work, without a very patient woman to remind him.

So, when he died, and it became clear that everything, from their personal finances, to their retirement investments, to their insurance and legal work had been quietly and expertly handled by Grandpa, not Nana, we were all shocked. He was possibly the most responsible member of the family, despite his appearance of being a complete fuckup.

And that's what made him so awesome. He taught me that fulfilling your duty with quiet dignity, enjoying your life, and not giving a fuck what other people think about you is what a real man does.

So, here's to you, Keith Richard Erickson.

gpa2.jpg

naporeon on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    naporeon your grandpa sounds awesome.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    naporeon your grandpa sounds awesome.
    Thanks, man. He really was.

Once, my best friend and I were camping on his property, and he came out and made a bonfire for us. We started talking about one of his cars, a 70's model Cutlass that he'd owned from new. You know, back when the speedometer went up to like 160. So we were talking about how fast it was, and my grandpa said, "Well, at least 160."

So my friend asks, "How do you know?"

"Had it up there."

naporeon on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My WWII grandfather is pretty normal, but my late grandfather on my father's side was a real Southern gentleman. You see, I come from a long line of Southern plantation (read: slave) owners. So he was always telling me shit like, "Now listen. You've got to learn how ride a horse, and fence, and shoot a gun, because you've got to defend your family, and that's something a woman can't do."

And once when I was talking to him about a play I was in, he was like, "That's good. Just so long as you don't become an actor when you grow up." He leans in closer. "They're all gay," he says, as if importing some secret of utmost importance.

My other grandfather, on my father's side, could be called a "southern gentleman," and there are a bunch of plantations in Louisiana with a name that is not my own, but from which I am decended, so that fits the bill. But he's not retarded. My fencing/fighting is my own, my meager horse-riding skills are from my mother. And I've never heard him say anything with the slightest hint of bigotry; nothing about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, absolutely nothing.

Defender on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So how'd your mom teach you to ride a horse? Do you prefer bareback or with a saddle?

wink

wink

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    And that's what made him so awesome. He taught me that fulfilling your duty with quiet dignity, enjoying your life, and not giving a fuck what other people think about you is what a real man does.

As far as I can tell, that's pretty much correct. I would drink to that duder.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    lostwords wrote:
    So how'd your mom teach you to ride a horse? Do you prefer bareback or with a saddle?

wink

wink

I ride from underneath the horse.

OK, now we're done with that one.

Defender on