As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DnD PAX D&D OOC/Inital IC thread

MazzyxMazzyx Comedy GoldRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
So you think you have what it takes to beat this guy, huh?
Dracolich_72.jpg

Because you may have to. Welcome to the DnD PAX D&D thread. Here you can discuss character designs, strategies and items with your glorious DM, me, or the rest of the party. Also in this thread I am hoping we can get some in character rp going so your group has a nice dynamic and such. I will give you guys a nice setting for that to start working on.

Rules for Posting:
OOC/Rules/Character design post- Make sure to mark it with OOC at the top in red after we start the IC stuff. That way we know it is out of character. Initially I wouldn't worry about this.

IC posting-Post in character, not that hard. When we have the party made and ready to go I will do the initial story post and after that it is up to you guys.

Rules for character creation:
All characters will start at level 10. This includes all stat bonuses, feats and so on that you are able to take up to this level. Also you start with 3 magical items. For these items you get one lvl 11, lvl 10 and lvl 9 item. On top of these items you start with 5,000 gold to buy other equipment at gear. Remember you are an adventuring party so make sure to be carrying stuff such as rope and torches. All classes but psionic classes are aloud. I dislike psionics as a personal thing as dm, so they are a no go for now.

Also please post a link to your character here. Use http://4e.orokos.com for me please.

Background of the World

You are all adventures. Professional fortune seekers. Looking to cleanse evil, get some gold or score some hot tail you travel to places most sane people would avoid like a plague. You do this in the world Mesala. Mesala is a world of magic and mystery. Probably not a lot of mystery if you read a lot of fantasy books though, but you characters probably haven't. The world is made up of one large continent surrounded by massive Oceans. This continent takes a vague claw like shape. To the West is the Sea of Thrones. The South is the Sea of Queens. The East is the Sea of Trade. And the North is the cold Sea of Ice. Inside the claw is the Bay of Nox.

The continent itself is split into numerous kingdoms. The largest made up of the southern half, bordering the Sea of Queens, the southern part of the Bay of Nox and having ports on the Sea of Trade and the Sea of Thrones. Called the Confederation of Syrah it is the main stomping grounds of Adventurers for the last 500 years. Full of temples, castles and tombs of the old God Lords of Syrah it is a parched land where little water falls and the majority of the population lives in the port cities either on the Isthmus of Lions or along the Sea of Trade. To its north it borders the Empire of the Holy Grounds. A coalition of small principalities and dukedoms. With its central leadership weak it has been more focused on the rising of certain dukedoms trying to unite the region under their flag. Within this area is the Battlefield of Tensa, where the great Demon Lord Gaius was defeated by the combined armies of Mesala. Or so the story goes. Supposedly even the gods treaded the earth here. It is bordered by two more countries. To the East and North is the Kingdom of Mazarand and the Northwest is the Wildlands of Teri'va. North of these two countries is the wonderfully named Unexplored North.

Your adventure will take place in the Kingdom of Mazarand. Once a quiet kingdom it has now had a dark shadow fall upon it. Though the Empire of the Holy Ground was the place of the battle, the leader of the armies was the Lord Se'Mekalas. Chosen of the gods, keeper of the faith and bearer of the sacred word. The Kingdom of Mazarand is ruled by his decedents. The current ruler, Secalam De'Mekalas has called for adventurers to explore old fortresses and ruins that have recently sprung to life with unexplained activity. He has promised wealth and rewards to each adventuring band and yours has answered the call.

Your group has been assigned the Keep of Dra'Magna Moors. Home of one of the demon lord's lieutenant during the war. It is a foreboding keep in the Moors of Mogol. Recently lights have been scene and constant dark haze has settled on the ruins. You are to explore the keep and return with what you find. And if possible dispose of whatever has settled into the ruins. The local guard believes it is just a few orcs and kobolds but the royal house believes different. You will be rewarded 10,000 gold and allowed to keep whatever you find in the keep as payment for exploration. There may be greater rewards if you can cleanse it of whatever has set up shop.

We will start the roleplaying as you buy supplies in the capital city of Carathon. Then you will take a ferry up the River Drake to Mogol where you will set out to the keep.

Our Heroes!

Kelvin Swornshield reformed paladin of Pelor. Played by the illustrious Mori/Silas Brown.

Garrick an avenger of the Raven God. A moody Elf played by the always cheerful Inquisitor.

James the rather chaotically named chaos Sorc played by Corbius.

Hadrik the mighty Dwarf invoker played by VH who is always looking fancy.

Marcus the wordy and bubbly Cleric of Ioun played by the very tall Power Puppies.

u7stthr17eud.png
Mazzyx on

• Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Word.

My chaos sorcerer is going to blow up shit.

I will post a sheet later.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tag. This will be fun to watch.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The site is http://4e.orokos.com

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm gonna invoke the shit outta some demons.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So am I officially making the defender now?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I can take Defender if someone will take leader. I'd enjoy playing a Fighter.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Is there an arcane leader?

I've got my heart set on my arcane source and backstory, but it could work outside of just a sorcerer.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You guys are going to make an entire team without a single radiant person aren't you?

I hate you all.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You guys are going to make an entire team without a single radiant person aren't you?

I hate you all.

If I'm taking the Defender role, I'll play Paladin if you want. :)

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I hate you all.

Some of my chaos sorcerer attacks can end up doing radiant damage.

Sometimes. Maybe. Depends.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well if someone takes defender I'm gonna run my Avenger who is a striker that does radiant.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, Pallie plus Avenger plus radiant Invoker.

Stuff is gonna die.

I hope the place is full of undead. :D

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So this is the Chaos sorcerer I've made: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2357

I have a vague backstory idea, but I'm not sure its worth writing out for this more dungeon crawl kind of game.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, so I'm definetly going Defender? If I do, someone needs to take Leader. Who is taking Leader?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Corbius looks good to me. Go ahead and write the back story there will be some rp in this thread before PAX anyways.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, so I'm definetly going Defender? If I do, someone needs to take Leader. Who is taking Leader?

I thought I was going Defender?

At this point I have a Defender and a Striker rolled up, I think I'll just go and post both.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alright here are my dudes:

Striker: Moody Brooding Elven Avenger named Garrik that hunts a single target until they are dead, dead, DEAD : http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2370

Defender: A strong, stalwart, Goliath Warden named Nikolaievitch (let's see if Mazzy gets the reference) who is all about taking hits, tripping people, and cutting their heads off while they are on the ground. I promise to do my best Axe Cop impersonation : http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2371

CHOOSE WISELY.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Inqi both characters look good. And now me sitting here tired from working out trying to figure out the reference. Argl blargl.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Are backgrounds legit, Mazzyx?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, they be cool Mori. If you do just think of how it would fit into the world described in the op.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Inqi both characters look good. And now me sitting here tired from working out trying to figure out the reference. Argl blargl.

Nikolaievitch is Colossus's middle name.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I feel like such a dork, because I never remember that. Peter Nikolaievitch Rasputin

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gentlemen, I present Kelvar Swornshield, formerly the butcher baron of whereverMazzyxLikes, now a reformed Paladin of Pelor.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Looks pretty good Mori. I like the name. Shame kevlar vest suck verse knives.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay I have three different characters on here, that means two of you missing postings. *cough* PP and VH *cough* And look its a day past the deadline. If you guys can get the characters posted here asap I would be really happy. And we can start some role playing. Also the schedule is up, I figure we can grab a time during Friday or Saturday to do this during the day. Let me know which one is better for you. I will be hitting the Guild Wars 2 panel and at least Friday's concert since I promised Mori I would join him.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sorry sorry!

I still need to buy some more magic items and write up a backstory, but here are the main stats and whatnot.

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2420

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As far as my schedule goes the only things I desperately want to see include the Saturday night concert, but that may not happen with the D&D meetup who knows.

Beyond that there is the Giant Bombcast live which is Friday at 8:30.
    There is another panel on Friday at 6 I may want to go to, not sure.

There is a panel on academics and game studies on Saturday at 3 I will going to, but thats about it for Saturday.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow, a heads up would have been good. I'll read through this and get something up within 2-3 days.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I posted like 5 times. I kept trying to catch everyone. Threads been up for about 2 weeks mate. I think it was more bad timing on when you were in [chat] and such. Just get it up as soon as you can.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I posted like 5 times. I kept trying to catch everyone. Threads been up for about 2 weeks mate. I think it was more bad timing on when you were in [chat] and such. Just get it up as soon as you can.

Sorry, that came out wrong. I didn't mean to come off as annoyed; I was just surprised. I've actually got some time to look into it now.

edit:
    A leader, huh? Interesting. I can totez roll with a cleric!

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, meet Marcus, human cleric of Ioun. Marcus is a whimsical trickster and comedian, always seeking knowledge and rarely revealing anything (well, anything true) about himself or what he's learned. You're sure to get a different story every time you ask, though.

Mazzy, I forget. Do you have DDI? Let me know if you have any questions about powers, feats, rituals, etc.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Man puppies you are gonna heal the SHIT out of some people.

Awesome.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alright since we have everyone here. I am going to throw the characters into the op and then write up the opening narration for you guys so you can get some rp going on and get that characters know each other feeling.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mazzyx is it to late for me to make a minor adjustment to my char sheet?

I realized I took a feat that increases attack roles for burst attacks and I had only 1 burst daily power.

So I went back and added some more burst attacks.

Updated James the Chaos Sorcerer

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No worries Corbius, I will just date you in the op. This is why we want everything done. I probably would of noticed when I started doing the combat test.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sweet, so I am going with Garrik. :D

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alright, well I want to apologize now for all the chaos that I am going to bring down on our own heads.

Seriously, I will feel really bad about blowing you guys up and pushing you around and giving you -2 ac.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Whatever. You are the only person not doing radiant damage, so I'm pretty psyched about all the extra damage folks are gonna be doing.

Mazzy, would it be a huge deal to change up one or two of my powers at this point to go more towards inducing radiant weaknesses in enemies? I didn't realize we were going to be quite this stacked on divine characters.

If not, that's cool, I know I waited to the last second.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Its cool VH. This is why I wanted us to have a couple weeks before the game itself. You guys are a group who has worked together for a long time so having characters designed both in abilities and personality to work together is the point of this thread.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Actually, one of the new bursts I took is radiant damage, and two of my other powers CAN do radiant damage, depending on die rolls.

So yay!

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg