As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania HoD - I'm interested in this!

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
PA Metatag is Wangsylvania

castlevania_harmony_of_despair_1.jpg
Yeah. It's kinda like that.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is the third Summer of Arcade title in the mix. It is multiplayer focused, and has no story. Players can choose between the five latest Castlevania heroes and explore a variety of stages, each one being a self contained CV esque castle. Each stage has a time limit of 30 minutes, so those expecting an exploration focused Metroidvania need to run away screaming now. This game is all about playing with friends and grabbing loot.

Whether you die, run out of time, or finish a stage, you keep all the items you collected, and can equip them at a "checkpoint," or in the main menu between playthroughs. If you have one piece of armor, you are free to equip it to all five characters so that all five are ready to go. Offensive items, on the other hand, vary greatly between the five characters.

Upon starting a multiplayer co-op match, the players will start in different areas in the castle, sometimes next to another player - or not.

Multiplayer matches cannot be entered into by inviting people after they begin, unlike L4D and other games. Also, you'll end up back at the Team menu upon Failure of a level attempt. This is to allow you to equip new gear you've picked up during the last try, and perhaps discuss a more viable strategy.

The option of "Main Menu" in the Preparations screen during multiplayer will allow you to equip gear BEFORE you enter a level. Throughout the levels are floating books that let you change equipment during a session. These are the "checkpoints", as mentioned above. Note that while you're doing this, time CONTINUES to tick away! Almost always there seem to be checkpoints located near the starting areas of the characters, so if you forgot something last moment before going in you can still quickly grab it and leap into the action.

It's recommended if you are not familiar with some of the characters to at least take a peek at the Help section included in the game. While some particularly important details are missing (remedied in the OP here), it contains a number of helpful hints you otherwise might not immediately realize.

You can view screens nearer to you in 8 directions by flicking the right analog stick. Depending on the zoom level you're currently using, dependent on clicking in the R3 button, this will let you scout ahead or keep tabs on your teammates.

The five playable characters. Each one fights, and grows differently.

Soma Cruz
SomaToken.png
Soma is the hero of Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow. Like in Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow, he keeps his Soul system. Nearly every baddie in the game has a soul that he absorbs based on luck, and can equip, imitating their powers. The reason he could do this in the story is...well...if you don't know I wont ruin it. It's his most modern rendition, so he has forgone his fabulous fur coat in favor of a slightly less fabulous Ky Kiske trenchcoat.

* Dependent on melee weapons via pickup, or the Shop, making him expensive.
* Picks up Souls based on Luck. Nearly every enemy drops one.
* Kills by teammates can yield Souls, therefore Co-Op is the most effective way to grind for souls.
* It's reported that Soma has special abilities. Attacking with a QCF (Hadouken) will perform them.

Alucard
AlucardToken.png
One of the most popular heroes, he is only in Castlevania 3 and Symphony of the Night (the very first Metroidvania and rebirth of the franchise.)

* Like Soma, he needs weapons, making him expensive. But he has magic based special abilities as well (need more information here.)
* Can turn into fog for a second, evading attacks and giving him a tiny boost during jumps.
* His SotN magic is found randomly in treasure chests, especially from bosses.
Spirit Mist: Cost 10MP
Dark Metamorphosis: Cost 1MP
Alucard stops suppressing his vampire side, and coming in contact with enemy blood from attacks heals him.
Hellfire (no teleport, just 3 small fireballs),
Tetra Spirit
Soul Steal

Jonathan Morris
JohnathanToken.png
He is exclusively in Portait of Ruin, and if you want to play a classic Belmont-esque character, this is your man.

* Plays like a classic Belmont.
* VERY slow to develop.
* Finds his subweapons from treasure chests and enemies with Luck.
* As subweapons are used, they level up. His STR goes up as his experience with Subweapons goes up.
* He has a Block button.
tags around selected text
Walt wrote: »
Addendum/Corrections:
The bible is indeed only from the Chapter 2 boss chest
The shuriken is in Chapter 5 chests
Roll is in Chapter 3
Uppercut is in Chapter 4

Charlotte Aulin
CharlotteToken.png
Jonathan's partner in Portrait of Ruin. She is purely magic based.

* Very low STR, very high magic.
* Her block button absorbs enemy projectiles, and over time, gives her their abilities.
* Develops very fast. Most of her good magic can be found in Chapter 2.
* Some spells take a lot of absorbs to learn. These should be collected as a Solo player for courtesy.
* The ONLY character who can heal.

For ease, here are some spells you can find.
Acidic Bubbles: Glasya Labolas [2,3] (Dog) {Multiple Green Bubbles}
Dark Inferno: Dracula [6] (1st Form) {Big, Dark Fiery Balls}
Deathscythe: Death [5] (Can be anywhere in level) {Miniature Sickles that Constantly Annoy}
Demonseed: Man-eating Plant [2] (Large Plant) {Tiny Floating Seeds}
Energy Flow: Witch [4] (With Hat and Broom) {White Spark that Follows You}
Featherblades: Harpy [5] (Half Bird, Half Woman) {Twirls and Throws 3 Brown Blades}
Fireball: Bone Pillar [1] (Stacking Bones) {Only Attack is to Shoot Fireballs}
Flame Shot: Fire Demon [4] (Red Demon, Has Two Horns) {Will Follow You and Cast It}
Ghost Chaser: Dracula [6] (2nd Form), Dullahan [4,6] (Giant Armor and a Floating Head) {Purple/Pink Energy that Follows You and Curses You}
Heal: Witch [4] (With Hat and Broom) {A Rainbow Healing Beam}
Hellfire: Dracula [6] (1st Form) {Multiple Tiny Fireballs}
Ice Fang: Sea Demon [6] (Blue Demon, Has Hammerhead) {Will Follow You and Cast It}
Ice Needle: Frozen Shade [2] (Transparent Floating Blue Woman) {Summons Four Icicles and Hurls Them}
Nightmare: Malachi [6] (Cthulu-like Alien Creature) {Casts a Large Ball}
Piercing Beam: Nova Skeleton [5,6] (Green Skeletons) {A Purple Pulsing Beam}
Poison Spores: Moldy Corpse [2] (Mushrooms on Backs) {Spews Green Fog}
Raging Fire: Minotaur [1] (Half Bull, Half Man), White Dragon [2] (A Gray, Bony Dragon that Clings to the Wall) {Constant Stream of Fire}
Sickle Moon: Imp [2,6] (Annoying Purple Winged Creatures) {Will Shoot a Crescent-Shaped Projectile}
Splash Needle: Merman [1] (Lifesize Red Fish) {Will Spew Streams of Water}
Summon Gunman: Skeleton Gunman [5] (3 Purple-Covered Skeletons with Rifles) {Will Take Turns Firing Unseen Bullets}
Summon Skeleton: Skeleton [1] (Bone-Throwing Human Skeletons) {Tosses Bones in Your General Direction}
Thunderbolt: Thunder Demon [6] (Yellow Demon, Has Single Horn) {Will Follow You and Cast It}

Shanoa
ShanoaToken.png
The latest in 2-d heroes. She is in Order of Ecclesia, and is very magic oriented like Carlotte, but can melee a lot better. The only character to rationalize how someone can hold all those weapons in her inventory. She uses no weapons, only Glyphs. The tattoos on her arms and back store her weapons and magic.

* The only character who can attach to Iron studs with Magnes. Every Co Op play should have one Shanoa for this.
* Learns abilities from Glyphs, which specific enemies produce. Steal them by holding Up.
* Learning new Glyphs takes Lucks, and specific hard to get Glyphs should be done solo.
* New melee weapon Glyphs are found in Treasure chests and are extremely rare.
Weapons:
Pneuma (Wind) - Stage 5 treasure chests
Lapiste (Earth) - Stage 5/6 treasure chests

Magic:
Ignis (Fire) - Default.
Grando (Ice Shard)- Salem Witches in Chapter 2.
Fulgor (Lightning) - The same Salem Witches, but in Chapter 4.
Nitesco (Beam) - The Nova Skeletons in Ch 5 and 6

Here are players for online co op. Playing online is where it's at. Just remember that if other players are not on the same chapters as you, you can only pick whatever chapter they're on. Post your name in Yellow to join.

A Miserable Little Pile of Wangs!
cantido
nickledl
zachveedle
mrvyngaard
benevicious
farangu
mrn1
tpsou
zaylenz
sheeeeeeep
wileee
Jashinslayer
MrNi
Blankosaurus
SavvyGamer
Alphagaia
Rose Red Rosie
just Cullen
azith28
CorriganX
Windrunner
Blankosaurus
Colonel Beck
Varxe
Top Hat Panda
LCDXX
TheGoatface
Asharaxx
SycamoreSoldier
SharpTenor
SyndicateLasgar
Bathtubb
tehpreest
Tzee Xicu
Jagerlord22

You got LOOT in my spreadsheet!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• Options
    wileeewileee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hod2.jpg

hod1.jpg

My thoughts:
    While Harmony of Despair appears to be a vast deviation from the Castlevania formula it actually has some similarities to the original NES games. Each Chapter puts your character on a timed path through the castle while battling hordes of minions culminating in a boss battle. The tweaks to that formula come in a variety of flavors. Instead of linear level segments, each chapter is one large explorable area with multiple paths. There are five selectable characters all with different abilities. Gathering loot to equip increases the character abilities and Special abilities can be increased through acquiring items or absorbing various souls, glyphs, spells from enemies. Not to mention the fact that each level can be played with up to 5 other players. To help players navigate the levels together the ability to zoom out and view the entire level or pan a short distance from your character location can be used.

FAQ:

Number of Players: 1 to 6 (online co-op only)

Level time limit: 30 minutes (usually more than enough time)

What are some differences between single player and co-op?
    Essentially the path through the stages. While a single player CAN make it through each stage, the path they take to the boss is linear. Once co-op players are added to the stage other paths can be accessed through teamwork. Characters can also team up to do powerful special attacks.
    Example: Spoiler
    In Chapter 1: Player 1 can be elevated by Player 2 using a scale type mechanism. Player 1 can then open a door for Player 2 to access a lower area below the boss. Player 1 continues to the boss around the castle while Player 2 kills all the enemies in the lower area below the boss. Player 1 uses a lever to activate an elevator to bring Player 2 up to the boss. During the boss fight the floor breaks causing everyone to fall to a lower level. Since Player 2 cleared all the fodder enemies only the boss is left to battle after breaking through the floor. In single player the lower area would have about 12-18 other enemies to contend with as well as the boss.

How does the loot system work?
    Loot gathered throughout the castle can be equipped to increase player stats or sold for cash. Items can also be shared between the five characters for each player (Items CANNOT be shared between different players).

How will co-op handle loot whores?
    I believe it’s impossible to be a loot whore in HoD. Each time a treasure chest is opened EVERY player receives a random item. Even items dropped from broken candles are able to be collected by EACH player. The only exception to this is if you open a Blue chest the other players will receive something but only the player opening the chest gets the “Water of Life” item.

What do you do with money?
    Spend your hard earned cash at the item shop between stages on items, weapons, accessories, armor, etc.

How does dying affect other players?
    When your life gauge reaches zero you re-appear as a skeleton. You still have your ability to double jump but your only attack is to throw bones. Other players can revive skeleton players to their original form if they have found a “Water of Life” item in that level.

What is the “Water of Life”?
    These can be collected from Blue treasure chests in co-op games and are used to revive a fallen player.

Any plans for expansion?
    From the official site: "With a plan for continued game content delivered through downloadable add-ons, players will be able to experience new levels with new characters as they extend the experience of the latest Castlevania downloadable game."

wileee on
    Monster Hunter Tri: Raw Meat -
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I played the demo. My only real complaint is that Alucard felt like he was running so slow. I know it's because he's got less ground to cover and they wanted to make it a little longer, but I felt like he was running with weights attached to his leg.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm up for some co-op on this.

It looks awesome I've been excited to play it since I'm such a huge Castlevania fan, but I've been FAR too busy with Starcraft 2 and Dragon Quest IX to dig into it.. and haven't had any groups or anyone to play it with.

Add my XBL Gamertag Jashinslayer to the OP list please.

I would be up for playing on it tonight (after 5:00pm CST) and this weekend.

Not sure who I'm going to pick though, probably Soma or Alucard.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Add me please

Benevicious

All of the characters run slow btw.

Also Alucard can equip a shield, not sure if anyone else can. This shield can block crap like simple axes from the knights, or the big death beam from the first boss. So possibly in phase 2 when he is doing a horizontal beam and about the only safe place is right underneath his head, Alucard could block them beam and have people behind him wailing on the boss.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Consider me a part of the pile (GT: MrNi).

Here's another tip for players... If you use consumable items (such as potions) near other players they also feel the benefits.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    will pick this up later tonight. GT is Blankosaurus... I'll probably be a lowbie :[

aBlank on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For the OP:

Upon starting a multiplayer co-op match, the players will start in different areas in the castle, sometimes next to another player - or not.

Multiplayer matches cannot be entered into by inviting people after they begin, unlike L4D and other games. Also, you'll end up back at the Team menu upon Failure of a level attempt. This is to allow you to equip new gear you've picked up during the last try, and perhaps discuss a more viable strategy.

The option of "Main Menu" in the Preparations screen during multiplayer will allow you to equip gear BEFORE you enter a level. Throughout the levels are floating books that let you change equipment during a session. These are the "checkpoints", as mentioned above. Note that while you're doing this, time CONTINUES to tick away! Almost always there seem to be checkpoints located near the starting areas of the characters, so if you forgot something last moment before going in you can still quickly grab it and leap into the action.

It's recommended if you are not familiar with some of the characters to at least take a peek at the Help section included in the game. While some particularly important details are missing (remedied in the OP here), it contains a number of helpful hints you otherwise might not immediately realize.

You can view screens nearer to you in 8 directions by flicking the right analog stick. Depending on the zoom level you're currently using, dependent on clicking in the R3 button, this will let you scout ahead or keep tabs on your teammates.

Jonathan Morris
    Continuing to hold the whip button allows you to spin the whip by pressing the movement controls in various directions. This power was held over from previous whip users. A very basic move, but still sometimes useful to fend off projectiles.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    wileeewileee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Since I've only played as Alucard so far, I can't speak for other characters.

After double jumping you can push down and X/Y to do a kick attack. Very useful for jumping over the first boss without taking damage....oh and getting an achievement. (which probably means all characters can do it)

wileee on
    Monster Hunter Tri: Raw Meat -
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dark Metamorphisis was still named as such in my game, it wasn't called Nocturne. Alucard even has a voice clip shouting it when I use it. Does the name change when you use Japanese voices or something (to use Japanese voices, hold the right trigger when selecting your character's color, if I remember right).

Also, I know Alucard also has Hellfire (no teleport, just 3 small fireballs), Tetra Spirit, and Soul Steal because I have all of those (all came from boss chests, I believe).

Lastly, there are already videos showing off two new characters and a new stage, presumably DLC. They are:
    The child version of Maria from Rondo of Blood, Julius Belmont from the Sorrow games, and a Pyramid stage. Of note, Julius apparently uses his whip like Simon from Super Castlevania 4 and can whip in 8 directions or use it to swing on Shanoa's magnes points.

Lars on
  • Options
    TheAngryDealerTheAngryDealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm so on the fence about this... none of my real life friends are Castlevania fans. Will I be missing out if I get it and only play solo? is there a matchmaking to join up with other groups?

TheAngryDealer on
  • Options
    ViertelViertel Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I'm so on the fence about this... none of my real life friends are Castlevania fans. Will I be missing out if I get it and only play solo? is there a matchmaking to join up with other groups?

You won't be missing out persay playing solo, but you'll definitely be spending more time killing random trash monsters and taking longer to clear a level. Soloing is more for leveling up your varius skills/spells (or trying out a new character), and multi-player is more for the faster loot and level clearing.

Once you've capped out your abilities, however, there's not really any reason to continue to solo unless you're specifically aiming to clear the hard mode chapters by yourself. Dungeon crawlers are good, but this game doesn't really shine until you get a group (even if it's just a small one).

And yeah, there's matchmaking. You can also set it only group with people of your country or not.

Viertel on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really shouldn't be buying this game (should be focusing 100% of my energy on getting our new game done), but it's like they made it just for me. Mix of old school & new Castlevania with focus on leaderboard competition & Diablo-esque grinding? Score!

Chances are I'll pick it up later today after I get some programming done. I'll probably do single player a little just to try everybody out before focusing on the multiplayer.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will be up for playing this at some point over the next few days.

"SavyGamer" is my tag.

Edit: I am reviewing it and I am still not sure what I think. I do think it is interesting at least.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also take note dying takes away time. Not sure how much though. Dying as an skeleton takes away even more time.

Btw, add me Alphagaia. I'm playing as Soma most of the time.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Charlotte can also get Raging Fire from the Minotaurs in the first level, and she can get Splash Needle from the Mermen.
    You can absorb a spell once from each enemy. If a spell can be absorbed you will hear a clang when you block it, but after you absorb it from that specific enemy it will stop making the clang sound effect so kill that one and find another if you want to get it again to level it up. As your spells level up, so does her basic attack from her book.

She also seems to be the only character who can't dive kick.

Lars on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh damn, nice tips on playing as Charlotte.

So is this the real Castlevania thread? Cause we have two.

Renzo on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Also take note dying takes away time. Not sure how much though. Dying as an skeleton takes away even more time.

Btw, add me Alphagaia. I'm playing as Soma most of the time.

Ahhh that makes sense. I was wondering how we kept running out of time on the third boss.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

The XBLA thread is for Summer of Arcade, and a lot of people need help with this game, warranting a place to stuff everything learned.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »

The XBLA thread is for Summer of Arcade, and a lot of people need help with this game, warranting a place to stuff everything learned.

Yeah but what about this thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=125329

Renzo on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I vote this thread since Sheep seems to really not like the game anyway and it's annoying to get game threads where the OP never updates/visits the thread.

That's not a knock on Sheep, its just a general view I have.

Also I'll be picking this up in a few minutes. Go ahead and add Galedrid

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the game enough to make an OP for it and have been updating it. Dunno what else I could possibly do.

I had made my thread specifically due to the amount of talk in the general XBLA thread.

But it's whatever. This one has more poasts.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SassafrasSassafras Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I play as Shanoa and yes, her weapon glyphs are rare, but here are two more I found:

Lapiste, a giant stone fist (stronger but slower than the rapier)
    I found in the chest Death dropped (Ch. 5)

Pneuma, a somewhat long-range gust of wind (weaker than the rapier)
    I found in the chest Dracula dropped (Ch. 6)

Also, I have a small group I generally play with, but add my GT to the list: Rose Red Rosie

Sassafras on
  • Options
    Cowboybot67Cowboybot67 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really enjoying Soma here.

Who can get the highest luck btw? Thats the person that should be opening chests.

Cowboybot67 on
    Cowboybot.png
    Yar!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Really enjoying Soma here.

Who can get the highest luck btw? Thats the person that should be opening chests.

I was under the impression that when chests are opened everyone gets their own random items which implied to me that what they got was dependent on their luck, not the chest openers.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Cowboybot67Cowboybot67 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hrmm only one way to test it.

Cowboybot67 on
    Cowboybot.png
    Yar!
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Should I gear Soma towards attack or mind?

Turkey on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I might download this tonight, depends how much free time I get.

I read about Maria and Julius in the Video Game Industry thread, I'd love to see Grant DaNasty and Sypha Belnades join the gang.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On second thought, I think I'm going to pass on this game at the moment since I don't really have the time to do it justice right now. Definitely going to pick it up next month though so hopefully you all won't be too advanced for me to catch up to by then. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Yoko Belnades from the Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow games show up eventually. I think the sucubus enemy looks just like her before it reveals itself as the sucubus, changes forms and attacks. So the basic sprite is already in the game at least.

Was thinking the same thing about Grant DaNasty showing up. He'd have a unique gameplay style from the other characters. Though his ability to climb walls might break some of the game.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow.. Survival is CRAP....

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Quick note to those not aware, but if you hold RT when selecting your character you can play with Japanese voices on. But you'll have to repeat this before starting any chapter.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mulling over whether or not I want to buy this...

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    took me 3 'tries' to do the first level. I probably could of done it in 1 or 2 had I realized that absorbing the same spell levels it up -_- Summon Skeleton ends up being really good at level 8 (I think that's the max?).

I only got 3 spells so far (fireball, merman spit thing, and summon skeleton). I guess I missed minotaur raging fire on the first level. Anything else I might have missed?

(EDIT) also, I found a Bell in the first level but it doesn't show up anywhere... any idea what it does?

(EDIT #2) also found this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997663-castlevania-harmony-of-despair/55888841

list of charlotte's spells and location. I guess there are 9 levels but equipping them 'uses' one level so.... fun times.

aBlank on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    Should I gear Soma towards attack or mind?

Does MND increase the familiars or something?

Familiars is all I have with him so far. Bat and Ghost. I can't put anything in that other extra slot he has in the Defense menu.

Sheep on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    a few for charlotte that arent on the OP from that link:

Acidic Bubbles: Glasya Labolas [2,3] (Dog) {Multiple Green Bubbles}

Dark Inferno: Dracula [6] (1st Form) {Big, Dark Fiery Balls}

Deathscythe: Death [5] (Can be anywhere in level) {Miniature Sickles that Constantly Annoy}

Demonseed: Man-eating Plant [2] (Large Plant) {Tiny Floating Seeds}

Energy Flow: Witch [4] (With Hat and Broom) {White Spark that Follows You}

Featherblades: Harpy [5] (Half Bird, Half Woman) {Twirls and Throws 3 Brown Blades}

Fireball: Bone Pillar [1] (Stacking Bones) {Only Attack is to Shoot Fireballs}

Flame Shot: Fire Demon [4] (Red Demon, Has Two Horns) {Will Follow You and Cast It}

Ghost Chaser: Dracula [6] (2nd Form), Dullahan [4,6] (Giant Armor and a Floating Head) {Purple/Pink Energy that Follows You and Curses You}

Heal: Witch [4] (With Hat and Broom) {A Rainbow Healing Beam}

Hellfire: Dracula [6] (1st Form) {Multiple Tiny Fireballs}

Ice Fang: Sea Demon [6] (Blue Demon, Has Hammerhead) {Will Follow You and Cast It}

Ice Needle: Frozen Shade [2] (Transparent Floating Blue Woman) {Summons Four Icicles and Hurls Them}

Nightmare: Malachi [6] (Cthulu-like Alien Creature) {Casts a Large Ball}

Piercing Beam: Nova Skeleton [5,6] (Green Skeletons) {A Purple Pulsing Beam}

Poison Spores: Moldy Corpse [2] (Mushrooms on Backs) {Spews Green Fog}

Raging Fire: Minotaur [1] (Half Bull, Half Man), White Dragon [2] (A Gray, Bony Dragon that Clings to the Wall) {Constant Stream of Fire}

Sickle Moon: Imp [2,6] (Annoying Purple Winged Creatures) {Will Shoot a Crescent-Shaped Projectile}

Splash Needle: Merman [1] (Lifesize Red Fish) {Will Spew Streams of Water}

Summon Gunman: Skeleton Gunman [5] (3 Purple-Covered Skeletons with Rifles) {Will Take Turns Firing Unseen Bullets}

Summon Skeleton: Skeleton [1] (Bone-Throwing Human Skeletons) {Tosses Bones in Your General Direction}

Thunderbolt: Thunder Demon [6] (Yellow Demon, Has Single Horn) {Will Follow You and Cast It}

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lars wrote: »

Lastly, there are already videos showing off two new characters and a new stage, presumably DLC. They are:
    The child version of Maria from Rondo of Blood, Julius Belmont from the Sorrow games, and a Pyramid stage. Of note, Julius apparently uses his whip like Simon from Super Castlevania 4 and can whip in 8 directions or use it to swing on Shanoa's magnes points.

WANT.

Unfortunately I have no 360 but seriously if that's true then I'd buy one just for this I'm so serious you guys.

Timestones on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Now that I think about it, it is pretty sad to have a multiplayer Castlevania game and there be no Belmonts in it.

"Yeah... don't worry about us Belmont clan... we're not important. We've just been killing Dracula every time he revived for the past EIGHT HUNDRED YEARS!"

Edit:
    Guess none of the good Belmonts were available.

215482208_QAuBB-L-2.jpg

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Definitely add me to the list: Farangu

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So is there still not a Meta?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So is there still not a Meta?

It's at the end of the OP.

WhatIsAWang

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png