As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird NIC problem

variantvariant Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I got home this afternoon and my brother said that the Network connection on the desktop had died after he installed a new video card.

I looked at the NIC, it had a solid orange light without any wires plugged in to it, i plugged the cable back in, no change, plugged the other end in to the router, no change.

I went to the device manager and noted that the network card wasn't even listed in there.

I turned off the computer, removed the video card and plugged the monitor back in to the on-board vga...
Still the same issue.

Is the NIC just fried or this is some kind of other issue? I don't mind replacing it but the closest Fry's is 15 miles away and I'm lazy.

Edit: I was able to get the NIC to show up in device manager using the add hardware manually option, it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

variant on

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds like your brother maybe wasn't too careful when installing it and may have touched something around the NIC, so it's probably fried, yea.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If he did fry the card, you should make him watch The Shocking Truth! as penance. (Link goes to part 1, see the sidebar for parts 2-4).

DrFrylock on