As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Szechuan wrote: »
    Warcry wrote: »
    Nice suggestion, Descendant.

In other news, I discovered something that will be revolutionary in fighting helicopters. You can target them and use use Hammertoss. It's a one hit kill.

So is whipfist skyjacking and it's a lot easier to land the initial hit.

Takes way longer and flying at them with a fist the size of a garbage can is way cooler. Skyjacking gets boring.

Warcry on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Szechuan wrote: »
    Nice suggestion, Descendant.

In other news, I discovered something that will be revolutionary in fighting helicopters. You can target them and use use Hammertoss. It's a one hit kill.

So is whipfist skyjacking and it's a lot easier to land the initial hit.

Takes way longer and flying at them with a fist the size of a garbage can is way cooler. Skyjacking gets boring.

Not in my experience. The hammertoss doesn't arc high enough - the choppers just start ascending when they see me coming.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah it's kind of a shame about hammer toss. It's much better at fast/awesome travel than actual damage.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok. I've definitely got enough footage. SONG NEEDED. Most of the gameplay footage is done in armour mode. There's tonnes of car shoving, jumping and flying off buildings to splat things. Also helicopter jacking.

Use the song that I used in my Prototype OP

GO FORTH AND DIE

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't Stop Me Now by Queen?

Glorious

That's not mine, but the combination was so great, I had to see if it was done already. And it's just so wonderful. That makes me want to replay the game.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Virii

I am disapoint

This is the only song to slaughter to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF5cBoAV5Ys

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Glorious

That's not mine, but the combination was so great, I had to see if it was done already. And it's just so wonderful. That makes me want to replay the game.
    My suggestion was half serious and half joking. I'm glad someone already did it :D

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I still don't see how the hell Andrew W.K. didn't qualify

Perhaps you're not capable of partying hard enough

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I still don't see how the hell Andrew W.K. didn't qualify

Perhaps you're not capable of partying hard enough

To be quite honest the guy's voice just annoys me.

Warcry on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Glorious

Damn, 'Don't Stop Me Now' goes with everything.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oooh, this is pretty cool. What do you guys think?

Novadriver - Blackout

Warcry on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Virii

I am disapoint

This is the only song to slaughter to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF5cBoAV5Ys

I approve of this post.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is the only Prototype music video that you need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZ7M_VpNsk

(also I vote for Andrew WK)

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One of the only things Destructoid ever did that was funny and an accurate review of a game

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I say pretty much most things by Racer X will work OK

Also does everyone know that when you hold the dpad for a transformation you can do an extended animation (I actually think Morninglord taught us that before though)?

And Armor+anything looks badass as fuck, but I'm pretty partial to Armor+MM

Kazaka on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oooh, this is pretty cool. What do you guys think?

Novadriver - Blackout

This makes my inner angry 15yr old very happy.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    One of the only things Destructoid ever did that was funny and an accurate review of a game

I love how the music just returns at the end of that video as if nothing happened.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Best part is when Alex shoves a guy into a car, and it crumples the whole front end.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And it's time for music video amateur hour!

I love playing this song while running from strike teams. So I tossed together a video. It goes up to 720p. I recommend that and full screen, if you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoN8YW7IjPc

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fun video.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Noice.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Best part is when Alex shoves a guy into a car, and it crumples the whole front end.

That, and I just enjoy how he's walking calmly, and as the video progresses, people are running in terror, soldiers are shooting at infected and such, and he just keeps on walking unfazed

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    And it's time for music video amateur hour!

Cool video, Morninglord. [prototype] is one of the rare few games that's almost as much fun to watch somebody else play.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Watching Morninglord play is scary.

"A pinball wizard got such a supple wrist":whistle:

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    God help us if he ever acquired those powers IRL. D:

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So could someone give me their impressions of the PC port of Prototype? I've been looking for the 360 version for a while but I've found a cheap PC copy in one of my local stores. Do Prototype "work" as a PC game or should I focus on getting a 360 copy instead?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had an audio problem but I believe it was fixed. It recognized and properly mapped my gamepad, ran great at the highest settings, and never crashed.

I would definitely take it over the x360 version. Unless you really want those achievements.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    C2B wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Also, Alex Mercer was a douche.

If Alex Mercer is a douche he is my kind of douche. <3

That lovably maniac reminded me of all the fun times in GTA2 when I roleplayed.

Best Mass Murder spots in any GTA ever.

Ahhhhh, good times.

I like the theory that the reason why he got better personality wise at the end of the game was:
    He'd been eating people with a sense of duty all game. At the start he's pretty much an amoral monster. By the end, he's at least a monster with a sense of right and wrong. Not that that will stop him from committing horrible acts of murder if he feels like it. But he's at least capable of looking at the bigger picture and going "Whoa, eviler than thou. Gotta stop this.".

I mean, think about it. He goes from murdering random folks in the street for mundane information, to tackling an omnicidal monster and willingly taking a nuke to the face to ensure NY doesn't get atomized.

The guy devoured so many blackwatch, marines, cops, and civilians who were scared out of their fucking minds that that gestalt consciousness of his started to understand just what it was he was doing, and the consequences of doing it.

Hence the rather self centered "They're a part of me. Forever.", line at the end of the game. Guilt's a terrible thing when you've committed small scale genocide, and you've been devouring the minds of the folks who were supposed to protect the folks you fucked over.

It's interesting because it makes Prototype a sort of anti-hero origin story, and definitely has some plausibility given how the unlockable web works.

Archonex on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Silpheed wrote: »
    So could someone give me their impressions of the PC port of Prototype? I've been looking for the 360 version for a while but I've found a cheap PC copy in one of my local stores. Do Prototype "work" as a PC game or should I focus on getting a 360 copy instead?

It works. I have it on PC, and I found no problems whatsoever playing the game. I wouldn't be surprised if you could hook up a X-Box controller, anyways.

The only issue I had with PC was the occasional directional mishap. The only time that's a problem is during the side mission races. Even with that in mind, I have gold in all the races, so you do eventually learn the route and how to handle the direction.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Silpheed wrote: »

It runs pretty well, but it's the only game where I've ever had to change a setting in BIOS to get it to run. It doesn't support hyperthreading, so if you have a processor with that, such as the i7, you have to disable it or the game won't run.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    New Game + with all the upgrades unlocked is so much fun! At the very beginning of the game, if you never go to Dana's apartment, you are literally an unstoppable engine of destruction. Do anything, kill anyone and only a few ineffectual policemen will show up. It's the perfect place to practice all the crazy moves and combos I could never pull off in the latter part of the game without being Zerg rushed by a thousand tanks and helicopters. I'm having too much fun just equipping the shield and running through crowds.

Is there any way to track the Web of Intrigue targets, or do they just randomly pop up?

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Complete up to your own apartment and the mission where you
    lure that guy out of his apc then nom nom

then you'll unlock all the events so you can platinum them in peace and have slightly more interesting stuff to run into when running around.

don't worry, you still wont be running into tanks.

i think there is a small area of the map that only spawns marines and that is about it. no rocket launchers, rocket helicopters or tanks. if anyone does call in a strike team, itll be one of those huff n puff transports dropping men.

i used this point in the game to platinum everything and finish finding orbs.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Morninglord. This is actually where I am now. If you save the game before going to Dana's apartment, it just restarts the next time you fire it up. Not sure if I'll go for Platinum on all the events, as some of them, unfortunately, just aren't fun. I do want to get all the Web of Intrigue guys though.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't like the tank ones myself.

fortunately you can cheap them out by running around grabbing a bunch of tanks with a military disguise and parking them right next to the event start. Just do that for ten minutes, jump in the event tank and boom instant plat.

Then you just run around and stay alive.

Let me know if you want help with any of them. I know cheap tricks/useful strategies for most of them. With a few exceptions. Like Raid.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    LOL, that's awesome! I didn't know the game would let you "stack the deck" like that. I expected the events would start the area as a clean slate.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    *thread pulls itself together slowly*

*munches on a crow*

*reforms*

So Heller and Mercer are going to throw down, that much is a given. But does anyone else think they'll have to team up to fight
    PARIAH?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here's a new and surprisingly appropriate teaser trailer for this forum.

Teaser Trailer

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Somehow they managed to top drop kicking a helicopter into exploding.

Wow.

Edit: The first comment to that video is mind numbingly stupid. I'm not sure if that's a troll, or what, but holy hell, dude. I'm tempted to post a "u mad?" comment in response to that.
    Stronnius wrote:
    WFT!?!?!? CARTOONS ARE FOR FAGOTS! especially amine because all peopal who watches amine liek too molests teh schoolkids! OH HELO JAPANESE MAN, I CAN TURN INTO A ROBOT, HEAR ARE MY TENTICALS AND THEY TOUCH ALL OF TEH SCHOOLKIDS IN RUDE PLACES!!!! I saw a webpaeg on this Intarnet and it hads all this pictares of amine with penis heads touching the schoolkids, HEY KEEP IT IN YUOR PANTS YOU PREVERTED JAPS!!!!

Archonex on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    Somehow they managed to top drop kicking a helicopter into exploding.

Wow.

Edit: The first comment to that video is mind numbingly stupid. I'm not sure if that's a troll, or what, but holy hell, dude. I'm tempted to post a "u mad?" comment in response to that.
    Stronnius wrote:
    WFT!?!?!? CARTOONS ARE FOR FAGOTS! especially amine because all peopal who watches amine liek too molests teh schoolkids! OH HELO JAPANESE MAN, I CAN TURN INTO A ROBOT, HEAR ARE MY TENTICALS AND THEY TOUCH ALL OF TEH SCHOOLKIDS IN RUDE PLACES!!!! I saw a webpaeg on this Intarnet and it hads all this pictares of amine with penis heads touching the schoolkids, HEY KEEP IT IN YUOR PANTS YOU PREVERTED JAPS!!!!

That's actually slightly above average for a youtube comment.

Mr Ray on