As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally snagging a 360.. What's some bargain titles that are mandatory?

NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
As the thread title says... A friend of mine decided to upgrade to the newer 360 model, and he's selling me his old one for 100 bucks. To let you know right away, I've never really played any 360 titles, so I'm a complete virgin to the system. I plan to snag Crackdown, as I'm sure it's around 20 bucks now. I'll probably get Dead Rising as well because ZOMBIES. And Assassin's Creed, of course.

Also, I've got a four year old that enjoys playing games, too. Are there some titles that would be appropriate for him that I could get into as well?

IHZR47b.png
Nerdtendo on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Earth Defense Force 2017, especially if you have a friend to play with you.

Also, be sure to go through XBLA, I own (and play) far far more of those games than actual 360 games

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As a reduced-price title that both you and your four year old might both enjoy together, I'd recommend Banjo Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts. It's a little bit like lego vehicle construction with talking animals, but it's wicked fun and creatively rich for any age group.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you don't have it for another console/computer system, Bionic Commando Rearmed is an EXCELLENT buy on XBLA.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As a reduced-price title that both you and your four year old might both enjoy together, I'd recommend Banjo Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts. It's a little bit like lego vehicle construction with talking animals, but it's wicked fun and creatively rich for any age group.

Sounds perfect.. He loves Everybody Edits and Minecraft.

Also, Earth Defense Force was one that I intended getting. I might have to get that one first. Looks awesome.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Condemned is really good, though not really appropriate for the lil un.
    Combat is a little brutal, but once you get the hang of it the game is worth the play through.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    --Gears of War 1 is only 10 bucks these days
    --Both of the Rainbow Six Vegas games are fairly cheap.
    --Tomb Raider Underworld is cheap.
    --Fable 2 is cheap

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Mister_PenguinMister_Penguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know that it's mandatory, but Red Faction: Guerilla is $20 for a new copy right now. The ability to destroy structures in creative ways is tremendously fun, and makes for a nifty take on the open world shooter genre [Especially since you get rewarded with currency for destruction.]

Mister_Penguin on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Geometry Wars 2! Retro-style neon glowy arcade shooting game. Like Robotron, if you're familiar with that. It's cheap on XBLA, it's flashy and insane, and it has really fun co-op. Guaranteed to maybe not give you seizures.

Burnout Paradise is another good one. You'd think from the box that it might be a game about racing cars, but it's really about crashing them repeatedly at high speeds. Any racing which may occur during this time period should be regarded as coincidence. ;-) No bodies or anything; I can't think of much of anything in it that would be offensive for your youngling. For the optimum in child brain development, set the soundtrack to the classical stuff. Nothing quite like running opponents off the road at a million miles an hour as the orchestra crescendos in the background. Alas, it is lacking somewhat in multiplayer; they decided to make it more along the lines of pass-the-controller-back-and-forth as you do 30 second things than it is normal racing. For single player though, it's golden.

LEGO (or Beatles) Rock Band is a lot of fun, if you feel like buying a few expensiveish plastic instruments.

Frem on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All of the Lego games are cheap and fun family co-op experiences.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Earth Defense Force 2017

Wonderful

Didn't even have to scroll down

You guys are on it like flies on shit :^:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    'nother vote for Tomb Raider: Underworld, which is cheap. In various genres, Resident Evil 5 and Halo 3 can be had for cheap and have a lot of replay value. Overlord can be found cheap as well, and is a very enjoyable Pikmin-style game with a great sense of humor--the sequel is not as popular. Dead or Alive 4 and Soulcalibur IV are both fun multiplayer 3D-fighters, but their singleplayer is lacking (unless you like unlocking stuff to play dress-up or survivor modes, in which case you're in luck!).

Both Gears of War titles are also enjoyable third-person shooters. Dead Space is an excellent third-person horror shooter, and is actually pretty creepy at times. Tales of Vesperia is an excellent JRPG and Ghostbusters (which is worse on the PS3, apparently), is a lot of fun, but single and multiplayer (only online though), and is pretty much required getting if you're fan a of the movies. On the arcade, both Monkey Island games are a lot of fun.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Earth Defense Force 2017

Wonderful

Did... Did you just call my topic shit? Or was that me?

:cry:

I actually never liked the tomb raider games, so unless underworld is a huge change, I don't think I'll like it. Of course, because of my dislike for the series, I never bothered even looking at underworld.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nerdtendo, play the new Tomb Raider games. You can download the demos first, but they're very different from the old ones. Legend is one of my favorite games this gen (I found Underworld kind of lacking).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd agree, check out the demos.

Do Underworld if exploration and atmosphere matter more to you, do Legend if you really want to shoot lots of guys (I mean entire brigades of Japanese mobsters) and ride a motorcycle on a sort of rail chase. They're pretty different games.

Speaking of killing oodles of guys, if you enjoyed them previously, consider getting Metal Slug. The Xbox 360 is an excellent platform for two people to get their slugs on.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    Earth Defense Force 2017

Wonderful

Did... Did you just call my topic shit? Or was that me?

:cry:

I actually never liked the tomb raider games, so unless underworld is a huge change, I don't think I'll like it. Of course, because of my dislike for the series, I never bothered even looking at underworld.

He's complimenting me for mentioning EDF2017 right out of the gate.

Because it's the most amazing underrated 360 game ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJhI3V05yHM

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll put in another vote for Banjo-Kazooie N&B. It's not traditional BK but it's a lot of fun regardless if your imagination doesn't peak at flying wangmobiles like mine did.

If you do want traditional BK, the first one and tooie are on XBLA if you don't own them already.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you haven't already you could pick up Rock Band pretty cheap, nothing more fun for father and son than rocking out on a plastic guitar and plastic drum kit.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm moderately surprised that nobody's suggested Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. If you like RPG's and haven't got them on PC then those are definitely ones to get.

Another one that might be worth a look is Alan Wake. It's billed as a psychological action thriller and so far I'm enjoying it. It has an interesting story and lots of atmosphere.

As for games you can enjoy with your kid, the Lego games are generally recommended by all.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you're in the UK, Gamestation are doing a 2 for £20 deal on a bunch of games at the moment; I picked up Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Even without a deal they're pretty cheap these days, and will serve you well for many hours.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    Also, I've got a four year old that enjoys playing games, too. Are there some titles that would be appropriate for him that I could get into as well?

sneak-king.jpg

It's usually around $2 at GameStop
    Just kidding

O-independente-The-Maw.png

I got this when my son was 4 and he loved every damn minute of it

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Exactly what he wants for his son--a video game training him to be a mask-wearing stalker.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have four year old twin boys and we play Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise together. It's got a great art style and surprisingly deep and addictive gameplay.

If you want better recommendations for yourself, you should give us some more information on what type of games and genres you've played and liked in the past.

DogEight on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Demo everything you can first and use rental services for most everything else. If you do buy, try to get stuff through Games on Demand. It is much quieter to play games off of the HD than disk.

I picked up a 360 in January and these are my recommendations so far (this is based mostly on the amount of time that it took for me to complete the single player campaigns in these titles. If you are going to be playing online multiplayer or like to go back and collect stuff in games you might get more mileage out of them):

Mirror's Edge- Rent
    Batman Arkham Asylum- Rent
    Bioshock- Buy
    Dead Space- Rent
    Overlord- Pass
    Battlefield: Bad Company- Rent
    Left 4 Dead- Rent
    Red Faction: Guerilla- Rent
    Bayonetta- Rent
    Halo 3- Rent
    Resident Evil 5- Rent
    Mass Effect- Buy
    Assassin's Creed- Pass
    Fallout 3- Buy
    Grand Theft Auto IV- Buy
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare- Rent
    Gears of War- Rent

November Fifth on
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One more recco for EDF 2017, it's awesome :D

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    12GaugeRage12GaugeRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    EDF 2017 is only fun when paired with massive bongloads.

But it is fun.

"EDF! EDF! EDF!"

12GaugeRage on
    N10sityN10citys.png
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "The ACID! It's eating through my armor!"

"It's like ... an army of red GIANTS!"

To the OP regarding EDF 2017 recommendations: The game is terrible in every technical aspect. Graphics are HORRIBLE. Voice work is HORRIBLE. Sounds are HORRIBLE. Vechices are 100% unusable. Somehow, the fun is still there in boatloads.

Just don't buy it as a benchmark for what your 360 can do. My watch could do things better.

EDIT: Viva pinata for the kid. Cute, harmless, addictive fun. You will enjoy it too.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    I'm moderately surprised that nobody's suggested Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. If you like RPG's and haven't got them on PC then those are definitely ones to get.

Another one that might be worth a look is Deadly Premonition. It's billed as a psychological action thriller and so far I'm enjoying it. It has an interesting story and lots of atmosphere (especially if you liked Twin Peaks).

Also, ask your friends. I liked Alpha Protocol, Dead Space, Batman: Arkum Asylum and others. I borrowed them though. Another good Xbox live game is Shadow Complex. Like Super Metroid.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you do buy, try to get stuff through Games on Demand. It is much quieter to play games off of the HD than disk.

This is terrible advice. You're going to pay full retail price for a digital copy that you could most definitely find both new and used at a much lower price just because it's quieter? You do know that you can install games to the hard drive, right?

XBLA: Castle Crashers, Alien Hominid, and Shadow Complex are all very good.

DogEight on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Exactly what he wants for his son--a video game training him to be a mask-wearing stalker.

He's doing it well; when I looked at that picture I didn't even notice the King, I thought it was The Sims for a second

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    DogEight wrote: »
    If you do buy, try to get stuff through Games on Demand. It is much quieter to play games off of the HD than disk.

This is terrible advice. You're going to pay full retail price for a digital copy that you could most definitely find both new and used at a much lower price just because it's quieter? You do know that you can install games to the hard drive, right?

Given that you can almost always get older games cheaper than you'll find them on Games on Demand (it's a case of the "Steam and other DD often makes games more expensive" phenomena), and installing games onto hard drive in effect makes them as quiet as purchasing them as downloads...really, the only immediate disadvantage is that you might scratch the disc.

On the other hand, you can bring that game to your friends and enjoy it with them without bringing over your hard drive or your entire Xbox, or lend it or, if you are unhappy with the game, have some hope to resell it--all distinct advantages of owning it on disc.

Oh, and I guess DVDs take up space.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    DogEight wrote: »
    I have four year old twin boys and we play Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise together. It's got a great art style and surprisingly deep and addictive gameplay.

That game just looks awesome on every level.. I think his mom will like it too, she loves Animal Crossing.
    If you want better recommendations for yourself, you should give us some more information on what type of games and genres you've played and liked in the past.

After 25 years of gaming, if there's a genre I somehow missed, it should be on the list of suggestions anyways.

As for genres I don't like, I don't feel like I really have to mention sports games here. There's a few genres that tend to be rather stale to me, now... but I even find a gem in those every once in awhile (turn based RPGs, and Paper Mario being the gem).

Also, in general... I just try to be a budget gamer. It's extremely rare that I'll buy a title new (I'm a WoW addict... so expansions), and I've found that there's an enormous library of fantastic games that I've yet to play. I'll be replacing my broken PS2, for example, and snagging up a bunch of last gen games I've never had a shot at. I've gotten pretty good at ignoring the hype of newer games, and find that the older games that truly shine still get talked about. Shadow of the Colossus will always be fantastic.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Darkness, Gears 2 and geo wars 1 and 2. I have like 90 360 games and those have hands down been my favorites.

corin7 on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another vote for Rock Band. It is 80 bucks about plus the cost of some DLC but if you have friends it is mandatory. You never really know someone until you watch them sing roxanne.

L4D2 provided you can play regularly with people you know. Everyone you meet randomly online thinks the basic rules of teamwork don't apply to them.

the Orange Box is pretty cheap now but you've prolly played those games at this point I dunno.

I always wanted to try the Darkness, is it good?

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another vote for Rock Band. It is 80 bucks about plus the cost of some DLC but if you have friends it is mandatory. You never really know someone until you watch them sing roxanne.

L4D2 provided you can play regularly with people you know. Everyone you meet randomly online thinks the basic rules of teamwork don't apply to them.

the Orange Box is pretty cheap now but you've prolly played those games at this point I dunno.

I always wanted to try the Darkness, is it good?

The Darkness is a flawed gem. As a shooter it kind of fails. But then it really isn't about the shooting so much. In the beginning it feels like it but then your powers start growing and guns seem kinda dumb at that point. A lot of it's design has yet to be rivaled imo. The story and characters are great, and you can do some optional things that really change how the world feels. It is one of my favorite games of all time and can be had for dirt cheap now.

Rock Band is a mad amount of fun with the right people, but not budget gaming in any way shape or form. I shudder when I think how much I have spent on it and how much more I will be spending this fall. Worth it tho if you have the cash.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sort of taking for granted that OP has a computer that he can run Portal and the other bits of The Orange Box on, even if only at low visual settings. They can be run on very meager settings.

I guess he could be posting from a library or something.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not the average gamer, so my list might not be to your liking, but here goes:

FPS:
    • Orange Box: I don't really care for Team Fortress 2, but everything else in this is pure gold for the price of lead.
    • Rainbow Six: Vegas (1 or 2): I dramatically prefer R6V to Gears of War and Halo. Modern Warfare is a close second with better graphics and level-up type mechanics, but I don't enjoy the gameplay as much as R6V
    Fighting Games:
    • Soul Calibur 4: I still love this game. The created characters look almost as good as the main cast, and I rarely ever feel like the game is cheating me. The trick to enjoying most fighters is a good community, though, and you might want to start a new thread if you want to get SC4 players out of their hadoukens and Distortion Drives..
    • Super Street Fighter 4: It functions on old-school SF2 hadouken-spam level as well as the new ultra polished level. It's so nuanced that I often say "WTF" when something doesn't work the way I expect, but it's still top dog for most fighters.
    Action Games:
    • Bayonetta: Holy shit. Holy shit! This game is awesome out the wazoo, but definitely more suggestive than your kid needs to see.
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum: This is the only superhero game anyone needs to talk about ever again. Batman will brutalize punks all goddamn day. If you liked the Batman Animed Series, this is a must-buy.
    Adventure/Platforming:
    • Mirror's Edge: This game is basically 3D sonic with awesome instead of suck. If you like time trials it's extremely replayable; if not, you should still rent it.
    • GTA4: I do not like Grand Theft Auto in general, but most seem to think it's a good deal of fun.
    • Braid: Excellent platformer on the Arcade service if you can stand its self-aware artiness.
    RPGs
    • Mass Effect: Fucking incredible. Just get it.
    • Dragon Age: Fucking Magical. Just get it if you like elves and magic.
    • Puzzle Quest 2: It probably belongs in the puzzle genre, but you can sink hours into it like an RPG. 2 is much better than 1 (IMO), but they're similar enough that you don't necessarily need to play 2 if you already own 1.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would actually recommend downloading GTA:SA instead of buying GTA4, once you finish the main missions theres really not much to do in GTA4.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If no one has said it yet: Condemned!!!!

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I promise you. You need to only pick up two games.

Castle Crashers
    castle-crashers.jpg

Geometry Wars 1 or 2
    geometry_wars_xbox360.jpg

I assume that there might be some other games you want. But damn it, this is all you need.

projectmayhem on