As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Explain taxes to me

TalkaTalka Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to set up a budget, and need to know how much to expect to pay in taxes. I've never filed them before, so I'm ignorant on just about everything related to them. I don't need everything explained, I just need to know enough to be able to plan accordingly.

Some of the details here are changed in order to preserve my anonymity.

Let's say I'm going to be earning a yearly salary of $50,000. I also live in California.

If I understand correctly, I can basically expect to pay 25% in federal income tax ($12,500) and 9.3% in state taxes ($4,650). I wouldn't pay property tax since I am on a sublease. I don't understand payroll taxes (I don't have a 401k for a year; what else would this cover?). I don't have student debts. Also if I receive a bonus that would be taxed just the same as if my income were the salary + bonus, right?

So can I basically add my federal income tax and state tax to each other, and then that's what I owe, and the remainder is what I can divy up my budget from? Or am I missing something obvious and glaring?

You'd really think there'd be some easy way to learn this basic kind of stuff, but googling has failed me here.

Talka on

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think you're basically right.

Also, bonuses are usually taxes differently (higher)

NotYou on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The second result in google for payroll taxes is a calculator. When using it for 50k a year filing as single with one allowance I get a paycheck of $1,923.08 gross bi weekly and a net of 1,399.82 which is approximately 13.5k in taxes paid including federal, state, and med/soc.

edit: Bonuses may have different amounts withheld from them based on the way your employer does it, I believe one choice is a flat 28% + other withholding, however when you file your taxes there isn't a difference between earning 50k salary and earning 30k with a 20k bonus so if your employer does withhold more you will end up getting it back when you file. Also as a note since the tax rate changes based on the amount you make, 10% on 0 - 8k, 15% on 8k - 32k, etc, and you get a surprise bonus then a larger portion of taxes will be taken out of it since it adds on to your salary and essentially all of it is taxed at the highest rate.

edit2: Just in case it wasn't clear since I was in a hurry, your tax bracket at 50k is 25% but this doesn't mean that all 50k is taxed at 25%. Since your tax bracket increases as you make more it doesn't make sense to apply the bracket to the entire wage since if you got a raise of 1k and moved brackets you'd end up losing money, instead the marginal tax rate of a bracket is applied to money in the bracket only. Using the 2010 table the first $8375 you make is taxed at 10%, the next $25625 is taxed at 15% and using the 50k example the remaining $16000 is taxed at 25%. Of course this is without deductions and whatever else applies, but it should make it clearer how tax brackets work.

khain on
  • Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bonuses aren't really taxed higher, per se, it just seems like that. If you are having your taxes automatically withheld by your employer, then they calculate your tax based on every pay check. When you get your pay check with your bonus included, it looks like your average salary is maybe twice as high, so that gets taxed more, but then you will get that extra tax back when you file for your refund.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tavataar wrote: »
    Bonuses aren't really taxed higher, per se, it just seems like that. If you are having your taxes automatically withheld by your employer, then they calculate your tax based on every pay check. When you get your pay check with your bonus included, it looks like your average salary is maybe twice as high, so that gets taxed more, but then you will get that extra tax back when you file for your refund.

No, typically bonuses are taxed at the highest amount possible. I haven't worked in payroll in about 8 years, but back then I believe it was somewhere around 36%.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

No, typically bonuses are taxed at the highest amount possible. I haven't worked in payroll in about 8 years, but back then I believe it was somewhere around 36%.

Bonuses may appear highly taxed, but they are just factored into your annual pay. When you file your taxes, there is no specific area for "bonus". The government doesn't care; it all evens out in the end.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Bonuses may appear highly taxed, but they are just factored into your annual pay. When you file your taxes, there is no specific area for "bonus". The government doesn't care; it all evens out in the end.

According to this, regardless of whether or not it works out in the end, he'll have 35.23% of the bonus removed from his check for taxes.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    According to this, regardless of whether or not it works out in the end, he'll have 35.23% of the bonus removed from his check for taxes.

Can you explain how to came to that conclusion? It looks to me like it works exactly how I explained it above.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yup, that just looks like the annual tax bracket broken down into individual paychecks. So it's what Tavataar said, just divided by 26 (bi-weekly pay) or 12 (monthly pay) for convienence. The bonus gets added to the annual pay, nothing special.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Bonuses are taxed at the highest marginal tax rate you are subject to.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    From the payroll calculator

Annual Gross Pay
    $50,000.00
    Federal Withholding
    $7,768.75
    Social Security
    $3,100.00
    Medicare
    $725.00
    California
    $2,373.67
    CA SDI
    $550.00

Net Pay
    $35,482.58

Deebaser on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't forget to factor in that tax returns also come into play each year. Exemptions and credits lower your overall tax due and you get that $ back. Some people budget that in, Some people treat it as a windfall. Its up to you.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You're always taxed at your highest marginal rate, but every payroll system I've ever been paid by is stupid, and assumes that your gross income is X * current paycheck (where X is the number of paychecks you get a year).

So lets say you get paid $1K bi-monthly ($26K/annum). But you get a $5K christmas bonus, so your 26th check is $6K. Eventhough your annual pay is $31K inclusive of bonus, the payroll system sees the $6K check, assumes it's a "regular" paycheck, and taxes you as if you're earning $156K/annum. But you should get refunded any overwitheld amount when you file, or if you know about the bonus beforehand you may be able to adjust your withholding so the overwithholding is attenuated and the refund is minimized.

Talka, as to how much you should budget for taxes, did you fill out a W-4, and does your employer withhold taxes from your paycheck?

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Djeet wrote: »
    So lets say you get paid $1K bi-monthly ($26K/annum). But you get a $5K christmas bonus, so your 26th check is $6K. Eventhough your annual pay is $31K inclusive of bonus, the payroll system sees the $6K check, assumes it's a "regular" paycheck, and taxes you as if you're earning $156K/annum. But you should get refunded any overwitheld amount when you file, or if you know about the bonus beforehand you may be able to adjust your withholding so the overwithholding is attenuated and the refund is minimized.

Exactly! Thank you for laying out a numbers example.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Can you explain how to came to that conclusion? It looks to me like it works exactly how I explained it above.

From this?
    Flat Tax Rate

Supplemental Flat Tax Rate is 25% for Federal and 6.6% for the State of California.
    Bonus Flat Tax Rate is 25% for Federal and 10.23% for the State of California.

There's also this from 2007:
    By Teri Newton

You’ve probably wondered why your bonuses are so heavily taxed. It’s all in the tax law. There are two methods to determine bonus withholding. One method is called the Percentage Method; the other is the Aggregate Method. Which method is used to tax your bonus is determined at the state level.

The Percentage Method is not very favorable to the average taxpayer. A flat tax of 25% at the federal level, and a flat state percentage (I know it happens to be 9.3% in California), will be withheld from your bonus. It doesn’t matter if you are in a low tax bracket or if you usually get to keep 90% of your check. This is a flat tax, regardless of your tax bracket. Your only recourse in this situation is if you have a guaranteed bonus coming your way, you can increase your withholding allowances during the year. This means your regular paychecks will have less income tax withheld, to offset the high tax withholding on your bonus. Another alternative is to wait until you get your bonus, and then increase your withholding allowances, so that less tax is withheld the rest of the year. These are difficult strategies to implement though, since most bonuses come at year-end, and you do not want to risk under-withholding for a bonus that might never appear.

The Aggregate Method can be a little bit better for your bottom line. In many states, the aggregate method is allowed, which means the tax withheld on your bonus check is based on your wages and tax withholding to-date. This basically means it will be calculated like any regular paycheck. Regardless, this method will still take a big bite out of your bonus. The reason is that often payroll software does not recognize that a bonus is a one-time payment. So the payroll software might assume that your $1,000 bonus check is really a recurring amount that will push up your annual income much higher. For the one bonus, it may assume it needs to withhold a lot more, because the software suddenly thinks you are in a much higher tax bracket and that you need to be taxed at a higher rate. For smaller bonuses, many employers don’t even realize there is a "method" so faulty software calculation is probably the biggest bonus problem for most of us.

Even if your employer figures out your bonus correctly, the fact is, a bonus is usually a large amount compared to your regular paycheck. Let’s face it; a bigger check is going to need more taxes withheld. The taxes are simply magnified. All of these factors lead to you getting a smaller bonus check than you expected.

But there is another problem when it comes to bonuses. If you are in a high tax bracket, and your company uses the percentage method, you may find that you are under-withheld at the end of the year. Maybe your federal tax rate is 35%, but your company only withheld 25%. In this case, if you are concerned about under-withholding, simply ask your employer to withhold more taxes from your bonus checks. Your employer can honor your request to withhold more. They just can’t honor a request to withhold less on a bonus.

If you are expecting a bonus and want to figure out how much you can expect to keep, check out the bonus calculators at paycheckcity.com . This is a great tool to help you get a handle on your paychecks. You can see how claiming different numbers of allowances and how varying scenarios will affect your withholding. The website has both regular paycheck calculators and bonus calculators. Make sure to select your state to get accurate results from these calculators.

So I guess it depends on your employer.

Edit: Or not. It looks like California goes on the percentage method.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's basically talking about how much tax is withheld from the bonus. You still get back the money you overpaid in taxes on your bonus when you file your income tax.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ...which doesn't do the OP any good because he's trying to make a budget. And that's exactly what I was saying anyway.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't really think bonuses should be a part of a bi-weekly budget, unless you get monthly bonuses/commission.

Talka, do you have to file your own taxes? There's typically a lot more that can come out of a paycheck than just taxes, such as health care, insurance, and retirement account. Possibly union fees. If this is entirely hypothetical (you're trying to see how much you need to earn in order to get by with what you consider the basics for a comfortable life) then that's fine, although in that case I would eschew bonuses from your budget calculations.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Talka, do you have to file your own taxes? There's typically a lot more that can come out of a paycheck than just taxes, such as health care, insurance, and retirement account. Possibly union fees. If this is entirely hypothetical (you're trying to see how much you need to earn in order to get by with what you consider the basics for a comfortable life) then that's fine, although in that case I would eschew bonuses from your budget calculations.

This is very true. OP mentioned he does not get a 401k for a year (which sucks!), but if you are opting in to your companies health care group, or other things, then that money is going to be drawn from your pay check every pay period.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You people have 401k's?

OP, you're going to be a "W2" employee, right? And not a contractor?

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »

This is very true. OP mentioned he does not get a 401k for a year (which sucks!), but if you are opting in to your companies health care group, or other things, then that money is going to be drawn from your pay check every pay period.

I get medical, dental, and disability plans, but I'm not really sure how these work. I thought the point here was that these didn't come out of my paycheck. At least I can't find any mention of that in the employee handbook. It just says that I get them. But then again I'm really new to these things.

Retirement doesn't kick in for a year.

I can't think what else would come out of the paycheck.

And yes, I'm a "W2" employee.

Talka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    There will be additional monies taken out for the employee paid portion of your health/dental benefits if you elect them.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    There will be additional monies taken out for the employee paid portion of your health/dental benefits if you elect them.

It is possible that the employer covers the whole thing, but it's also possible he'll get a company virgin as part of this benefits package.

But yeah, most likely it just means they offer it if you want to take advantage, which means paying. I think I pay about $200 a paycheck for everything insurance, but I cover my whole family.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Again, I'm really new to this, and the employee guidebook only refers to the insurance plan which has its own book I haven't seen yet. But it says that the company covers 100% of the premiums. I thought that meant nothing was taken out of the paycheck, and my health care costs would only be the deductibles and co-payments or whatever when I go to a hospital.

Talka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    edit - didn't see you post before this hehe.

Yea, normally the company sponsored plans mean that they pay some percentage, I think mine is 50%, and you pay the rest. This often means that you can get higher quality health care for cheaper than if you were to sign up for it on your own.

If they are actually paying for all of it, than that is pretty cool! You could/should check with your HR department, just so you know what is up.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Basic example of what this might look like on your paychecks, as you mentioned you're a W-2 employee...

Gross income... 1925 (just an example - 2 week paycheck, 50k/year)
    Less any contributions to traditional IRAs
    Less any contributions to 401k
    Less any premiums for health/dental insurance policy
    Less any other pre-tax deductions
    Taxable income... 1700 (just an example, could be more, could be less)
    Less taxes (federal, state, social security, etc)
    Less contributions to roth IRAs
    Less any other post-tax deductions
    Net income... 1400 (just an example, could be more, could be less)

Let the payroll department at your company worry about that part.

When you file your taxes for the year, you'll receive your W-2's in the mail with your amount of taxable income and the amount of taxes paid. Fill in the blanks on your 1040 and voila. Since tax laws change all the time, it's hard to budget for how much of a refund you'll get, or how much of a payment you might have to make.

It might help you to download a 1040 form from the IRS website and read it over. Unless you own your own business(es), or work 7 jobs, it really is as simple as filling in the blanks.http://www.irs.gov/

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Talka wrote: »

Again, I'm really new to this, and the employee guidebook only refers to the insurance plan which has its own book I haven't seen yet. But it says that the company covers 100% of the premiums. I thought that meant nothing was taken out of the paycheck, and my health care costs would only be the deductibles and co-payments or whatever when I go to a hospital.

If the company is paying 100% of your premiums you are correct in thinking that nothing will come out of your paycheck.
    That is uncommon and very awesome for you. Congrats!
    :)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    When you are doing your taxes next year, if you decide to do them simply and not pay for any services, you should try to make sure that you aren't missing any possible deduction opportunities.

I like to use TurboTax's free web tool to enter my data, see what extra deductions I can make, e.g. for 2009 there some some random $400 deductible I could take because of some random Obama initiative that I never would have known about otherwise, and then I fill out the real online forms and submit them for free.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar