As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do I flush my car's air conditioner?

DVGDVG No. 1 Honor StudentNether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my car started sending a steady stream of water onto the passenger side yesterday from the air conditioner. I don't know what part it is that sits behinds the glove box, but it's full of water, and makes a hissing noise when I turn left fast which I assume is water touching something hot.

I called the service department, since it's under warranty, who told me "probably dirt in there" and when I asked what needs to be done to fix it, they said "It needs flushed" and then promptly hung up.

So how the hell do I do that? I drive a 2009 Scion xD, if it matters.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
DVG on

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    schedule an appointment and get it flushed or fixed. don't mess around with it when you have a warranty.

if you are curious how to actually do it, http://www.ehow.com/how_5132787_flush-auto-ac-system.html

Dunadan019 on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Get it in there ASAP.

And if the water ruined anything like the seats or the vents then those should be covered as well.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Err. Water coming into the interior "from the AC" usually means one of two things: The heater core cracked and it's leaking into the cabin - if so you'll be able to smell the sticky sweet smell of coolant. Or the condensation drain tube from the AC got blocked and the water is backing up into the cabin instead of draining outside. This will smell like normal water.

Either way, its an 09 and shoould have plenty of warranty left. Take it to the dealer to fix for free, and make sure they clean the interior as well.

illig on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    They probably won't *clean* it for you, but you can have them replace anything that's actually damaged. They will probably tell you to take it to a full-service car wash to have it cleaned. The dealership service department I used to work for did this, and they gave out coupons for a free one at a local place.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    illig wrote: »
    Err. Water coming into the interior "from the AC" usually means one of two things: The heater core cracked and it's leaking into the cabin - if so you'll be able to smell the sticky sweet smell of coolant. Or the condensation drain tube from the AC got blocked and the water is backing up into the cabin instead of draining outside. This will smell like normal water.

Either way, its an 09 and shoould have plenty of warranty left. Take it to the dealer to fix for free, and make sure they clean the interior as well.

MushroomStick on
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So my '90 honda accord started doing the same thing, but def has no warranty. Any guess on how much a fix should cost? Also, I am going to PAX and need money for that. Could it hurt my car any further if I wait a few weeks to fix it?

lemongrenades on
  • wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The condensation drain is clogged. It's a short rubber tube that exits in the engine bay through the firewall. You should be able to poke a coathanger or other stiff piece of wire in there easily to fix it. It should be easy to find, it'll be directly in front of where the passenger sits, low on the firewall, and have an open end.

wallaka on
  • badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Most dealerships will indeed clean it for you or have it sent to a detail shop to be cleaned free-of-charge. Damage that is caused by the faulty part is covered under the warranty, and they'll be reimbursed by Toyota. You may have to ask and there may be a judgment call on whether the water was significant enough to warrant it, though. Also, if it's soaked through a good deal of the carpet, they'll sometimes just replace the carpet (though that's usually only after severe mold issues crop up that resulted from a faulty part.

I would no work on my car if it were under warranty. If you end up breaking something else while working on it (which in this case is unlikely because it's probably just a clogged tube), then you may end up having to pay for that out of pocket.

badpoet on
  • morena601morena601 Registered User new member
    Help! I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox and im having the same problem. Bought the car about a month ago. Went to my dealer and had them check the car because it has a puddle of water in the drivers side under the breaks and gas. Nothing else was wet. They stated being that the car wasn't the brand they sold (Kia) they couldn't do anything. I would have to go to Chevrolet dealer. They also stated i had extended warranty. I called Chevy and they pretty much said to call where I reci my warranty to see if it covers.. Guess what I called them and they stayed they don't cober water damahe. I tried to call back my
    Dealership and they kept on transferring me to different departmentss so they wouldn't speak to me. Did I fail to tell you this is the first time ever buying a car and since buying the car, I've been at the dealer Almost 10 times for numerous issues? This is a horrible experience... What do U think I would have to pay out of pocket for them to clean the clogg? Help?

This discussion has been closed.