As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BIOSHOCK INFINITE] Experience digital jingoism March 26th.

• Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    2nd play through coolness, don't throw the baseball,
    meet them later.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Azrell wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Finished. Didn't like the ending.
    Alternate timelines and realities are interesting, no doubt, but this was overblown madness. They should have focused on Booker wanting to forget his past and Elizabeth being his daughter. Along with the genius twins stuff, that was more than enough. The rapture fanservice while awesome and unexpected just gummed everything up, and the endless lighthouses was basically just wankery. Yes Levine, this is what games are, we get it. Tying it into a Bioshock multiverse was unnecessary and silly, kind of takes the uniqueness out of the previous games.

And "You are comstock" at the end was something I was afraid they were going to do, and they did. They played it like a big revelation when it's just another alternate reality, so it's just for shock value rather than feeling earned at all.

See I think you missed the point. The game was about what a man will do to escape the horrible things he has done, even acts that he will later have to seek redemption for as well. Booker is a selfish man who only sees what he does as it effects him,
    and only in the end does he realize that in his quest for redemption will cost him the only person he really seeks that redemption from.
    His life is a cycle of horrible acts perpetrated to repent for previous horrible acts.
    In the end the only way for a man of action to gain the redemption he seeks is to give up.

Also i got the impression that that the "twins" were not actually twins, but the same person from different timelines. One pulled into the others, hence all the talk about the mind making memories where none exist to fill in the gaps.
    Well he did feel bad about Wounded Knee and Peking(he was there right?), even though he garnered a great deal of prestige from both. So he does have compassion for others.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been brought up already, but this is a fairly long thread.

I'm playing this on 360. Finished my first play-through (loved it) and immediately kicked up my next run. A couple of hours in, I went to cook dinner and my 360 helpfully shut itself off. When I came back, "Continue" took me to a very late-game save from my previous play-through. No bother! I'll just start again, a third time. About an hour in I quit to the main menu just to be certain that everything is working as intended. Sure enough, "Continue" takes me to a late-game save. There are no relevant options in the "load chapter" menu and I see no way to set my current game a "the actual current game". What am I missing here?

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Seems like for some reason it's not overriding the last auto-save when you start a new game.

I'd suggest deleting the save file from your hard drive, if nothing else works.

• Options
    Fists of DissentFists of Dissent Registered User regular
    Is it possible that you are playing offline?

If you are playing offline by any chance it's possible that your 360 is saving on an earlier date (like november 2005, as the console doesn't update the clock on its own) and as such it doesn't recognize your recent saves as such. This happened to me while playing Dishonored and it drove me nuts.

T3NT0NH4MM3R.jpg
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Started a second playthrough.
    Booker being Comstock works better after seeing everything in a new light. All the talk about wounded knee guiding the prophet to building Columbia and such.

• Options

If you are playing offline by any chance it's possible that your 360 is saving on an earlier date (like november 2005, as the console doesn't update the clock on its own) and as such it doesn't recognize your recent saves as such. This happened to me while playing Dishonored and it drove me nuts.

Fuck. I just moved house and haven't had a solid setup for the last couple of weeks, so never bothered to connect my 360. All of my saves are dated 2005 as well. That must be it, thanks <3. Still, that system is pretty dumb.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    exis wrote: »

Fuck. I just moved house and haven't had a solid setup for the last couple of weeks, so never bothered to connect my 360. All of my saves are dated 2005 as well. That must be it, thanks <3. Still, that system is pretty dumb.

spoilers
    Huh? It is 2005. Did you maybe travel back from the future through a tear when you moved?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Oh god my brain damn yoooooouuuuuuuu.

exis on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    meet them later.

You made that choice on your SECOND playthrough?
    You monster

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    meet them later.

You made that choice on your SECOND playthrough?
    You monster
    I threw at the couple too. D:

I figured I needed to keep my cover at all costs. And I hated myself almost instantly.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My reaction to the ending:
    At first I was like:
    DoctorWho_What.jpg

And then:
    3568rw.jpg

Until finally:
    i_m_ok_with_this__n1296497202304__super.png

The Rapture bit was fine, rather like how System Shock 2's final stage was System Shock 1's first. I was expecting some sort of shout out. I kinda hoped there'd be a tear to the Von Braun, but the legal issues would make that difficult.

While the ending is fine, I do think it could be strengthened to make it more natural that it's the only way out.

What was up with waking up in your office and seeing if Anna's there? Some random hope bait?

• Options
    My reaction to the ending:
    At first I was like:
    DoctorWho_What.jpg

And then:
    3568rw.jpg

Until finally:
    i_m_ok_with_this__n1296497202304__super.png

The Rapture bit was fine, rather like how System Shock 2's final stage was System Shock 1's first. I was expecting some sort of shout out. I kinda hoped there'd be a tear to the Von Braun, but the legal issues would make that difficult.

While the ending is fine, I do think it could be strengthened to make it more natural that it's the only way out.

What was up with waking up in your office and seeing if Anna's there? Some random hope bait?
    Possibly it implies that the story began anew, and everything was futile.

Mostly they were showing how the ending is up for interpretation and leaving room for a continuation of the story. A set up for a sequel or DLC is what I'm guessing.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    So I was zipping around on skylines fighting a Handyman, and he was standing underneath one ready to shock it I think... and I ran into him and got stuck. His face was right in front of me and he wasn't attacking so I just unloaded my hand cannon into his face and killed him, but it was pretty funny.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Just Jesus Christ that ending
    Schrodinger would have blown his brains out at trying to keep up with the dead, dying going to die shit going on. I thought for half a moment they were going to tie it into one of Rapture scientist giving the "siblings" the knowledge needed to manifest quantum energy that made Columbia possible. I don't care if they never imply it. I'm certain the brother and sister are the same person where one was born a boy and the other a girl. I need to go sit down and drink a beer and just try to process this shit

Also I have no idea how that final fight is going to be doable in 1999 mode

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Just Jesus Christ that ending
    Schrodinger would have blown his brains out at trying to keep up with the dead, dying going to die shit going on. I thought for half a moment they were going to tie it into one of Rapture scientist giving the "siblings" the knowledge needed to manifest quantum energy that made Columbia possible. I don't care if they never imply it. I'm certain the brother and sister are the same person where one was born a boy and the other a girl. I need to go sit down and drink a beer and just try to process this shit

Also I have no idea how that final fight is going to be doable in 1999 mode

Actually based on your spoiler:
    I recall a couple of Fink voxophones talking about his brother's holes - his brother being the guy aping all that future music - where he discovered a fascinating "biologist" and the concept of an irreversible merging of man and machine. I inferred that these were reasonably subtle references to Rapture that gave him the idea for Plasmids Vigors and Big Daddies Handymen.

• Options
    okay.... that was the most idiotic asinine ending I've ever seen. Any one care to explain it to me? Because to me it just seems like one giant massive plothole that spawns so many smaller plotholes I don't even want to deal with it.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Ugh... I started playing this game on hard and for the first time ever in my gaming career, I'm considering dropping down a difficulty level. No clue how far I am progression wise (Just got Charge not too long ago) but it just seems like everything tears me to shreds. Feels like I'm playing COD online, just a couple of shots and I die. Worst part is that I seem to die easier as I progress rather than the opposite.

I dunno if I want to trooper this out. Booker seems a little too fragile on Hard. Despite what people are saying about Normal being "too easy" it just isn't a lot of fun to be constantly hiding, praying my shields recharge before I get shot from just about any angle. Unless there's a skyrail to abuse, encounters at this stage in the game are becoming overwhelming. Did anyone else feel this way?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    okay.... that was the most idiotic asinine ending I've ever seen. Any one care to explain it to me? Because to me it just seems like one giant massive plothole that spawns so many smaller plotholes I don't even want to deal with it.

This video has a pretty good explanation, however it doesn't provide the sort of in depth examination the game deserves:

(ending spoilers obviously)

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    wow yeah, I hate this game's ending. I was hoping they were going to have something a lot more clever than this. I'm not even going to get started on why I hate this ending and the tons of plotholes and things it forces on you to accept it.

• Options
    Ugh... I started playing this game on hard and for the first time ever in my gaming career, I'm considering dropping down a difficulty level. No clue how far I am progression wise (Just got Charge not too long ago) but it just seems like everything tears me to shreds. Feels like I'm playing COD online, just a couple of shots and I die. Worst part is that I seem to die easier as I progress rather than the opposite.

I dunno if I want to trooper this out. Booker seems a little too fragile on Hard. Despite what people are saying about Normal being "too easy" it just isn't a lot of fun to be constantly hiding, praying my shields recharge before I get shot from just about any angle. Unless there's a skyrail to abuse, encounters at this stage in the game are becoming overwhelming. Did anyone else feel this way?

the game is not fun on hard. I literally hated it on my first play through on hard, 2nd play through on easy, im in love with it. Depends how much achievements matter with you and if you trust yourself to do a 2nd play through i guess.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

the game is not fun on hard. I literally hated it on my first play through on hard, 2nd play through on easy, im in love with it. Depends how much achievements matter with you and if you trust yourself to do a 2nd play through i guess.

I hated Hard Mode and changed it back late into the game, now I'm okay with it in my second run. Here are a couple of things to make your Hard mode experience less horrible.

0. Your first purchase should be Possession for Less. Resist the urge to buy anything unless that purchase will keep you over the 1600+ crucial upgrade. You will spend the rest of the game with more money and less stress.
    1. Under options, you can turn on Borderlands-esque damage numbers. This lets you know when you're scoring a critical or when enemy defense is down or they're experiencing DOT.
    2. Melee less, headshot more. Dump everything youve got into enemy mooks brains. Don't toy with them at all.
    3. Crows and Bronco. Crow/Bronco everything to pin it down.
    4. I'm bad about caring about traps. Set traps in your blind spots so if you get flanked, you don't get meleed. I'm still trying to practice effective traps.
    5. Bust your ass to find those sidequests.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I hated Hard Mode and changed it back late into the game, now I'm okay with it in my second run. Here are a couple of things to make your Hard mode experience less horrible.

0. Your first purchase should be Possession for Less. Resist the urge to buy anything unless that purchase will keep you over the 1600+ crucial upgrade.
    1. Under options, you can turn on Borderlands-esque damage numbers. This lets you know when you're scoring a critical or when enemy defense is down or they're experiencing DOT.
    2. Melee less, headshot more. Dump everything youve got into enemy mooks brains. Don't toy with them at all.
    4. I'm bad about caring about traps. Set traps in your blind spots so if you get flanked, you don't get meleed.

Yeah... already employing those and it's still a pain in the ass :lol: I stopped meleeing REALLY early on when it became apparent that it cost more in health than it was worth.

Early on I thought hard mode was perfect. Then when I started dying and finding out that some respawn points are literally right smack in the middle of a bunch of enemies already shooting you, it started wearing on me. My only apprehension is that I didn't want to make the switch and start steamrolling everything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Cantido wrote: »

0. Your first purchase should be Possession for Less. Resist the urge to buy anything unless that purchase will keep you over the 1600+ crucial upgrade. You will spend the rest of the game with more money and less stress.
    4. I'm bad about caring about traps. Set traps in your blind spots so if you get flanked, you don't get meleed. I'm still trying to practice effective traps.

I finished the game on Hard just a while ago... and I agree that Hard mode can be very frustrating, but I play pretty much every current gen game on Hard because they always feel too easy for me and I enjoy getting my ass kicked.

I did pretty much everything posted above just out of second nature. I completely upgraded Possession as soon as possible and used it constantly, against non-Vigor humans its not only an insta-kill once it wears off, but forces enemies to focus on your new ally taking some heat off of you and the ally might kill some folks. Its also awesome for turrets and flying turrets, sucks on Patriots because it wears off so fast.

I turned on damage numbers before I even started the game. I pretty much did nothing but headshot people with the Hand Cannon, Carbine, and Sniper Rifle.

I searched everywhere for everything and completed every sidequest I found.

I wore gear that increased headshot damage, gave me temporarily invulnerability after using a medkit or eating, when I killed an enemy with excessive damage it would stun surrounding enemies for 2 seconds, increased shielding pants, maxed out my Shields ASAP, then dumped new Infusions into Health/Salts.

Set traps all the time, Traps are more powerful than direct Vigor shots. ALWAYS hit someone with a Vigor + shoot them if possible. Bucking Bronco, Crows, or Shock, that will make them vulnerable and they take dramatically more damage.

The final battle on Hard was tough, I died once and got it on the second try. Hard is well... Hard but its not impossible and pretty demanding.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    also.. my tips for hard mode are a maxed out sniper rifle and carbine, those are you go to weapons, use Shock Jocky traps.. try and pick everything off from a distance. You will die to the boss fights, alot, there's nothing can do, you just gotta grind it out. the Last two levels of the game i literally ran through.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I also ate the potato.
    Ewww...

Other discussions aside, if someone doesn't make a comic about Booker be a stress eater, a great opportunity has been missed.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    also.. my tips for hard mode are a maxed out sniper rifle and carbine, those are you go to weapons, use Shock Jocky traps.. try and pick everything off from a distance. You will die to the boss fights, alot, there's nothing can do, you just gotta grind it out. the Last two levels of the game i literally ran through.

This. Carbine, Sniper, and Hand Cannon are your best friends on Hard.

With Handymen, stay on Skylines to keep away from them and fire shots at them. Once they jump up to shock the lines, hop down next to them and unload as many headshots on them as you can. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Also, I was kind of disappointed there weren't more Handymen in the game. I fought maybe 4 through the entire thing? Bioshock 1 and 2 had Big Daddies left and right. Though Infinite does have much larger enemy variety.

• Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    Can we experience a new thread title before April?

Game is astounding, I've been creeping SOOOO lightly here I don't want to spoil anything! (sure I already have but... no more!)

:winky:
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Kias wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I also ate the potato.
    Ewww...

Other discussions aside, if someone doesn't make a comic about Booker be a stress eater, a great opportunity has been missed.

Stolen from the internets
    RyqdC5C.jpg

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I am currently
    chasing the ghost of lady comstock to find three tears so i can steal her hand and open comstock house

how close to beating the game am i

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I am currently
    chasing the ghost of lady comstock to find three tears so i can steal her hand and open comstock house

how close to beating the game am i
    Two-three hours-ish?
    Depends on how long a few events take you. Longer, if you're like me and tend to stop and gawp like a slack-jawed idiot at things now and then.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Thanks!

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So if Elizabeth were to
    Return to the same tear in which she lost her pinky, would she lose her powers?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Good question!

No idea!

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So if Elizabeth were to
    Return to the same tear in which she lost her pinky, would she lose her powers?

This is part of why I hate the ending. It throws out so many hypothetical situations, things which contradict one another, things that make no sense, things that are still just scientific and philosophical THEORY that I don't even want to deal with it.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    @RMS Oceanic
    Regarding the ending:
    It's probably a good thing there wasn't a tear to the Von Braun. If there had been, I'd be scraping the results of my prolonged orgasm off of my screen for months, provided I didn't suffer death by simultaneous heart failure and dehydration first.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Can anyone explain the menu to me?

It only shows a few weapons and a few vigors... all weapons I don't even have even though I have upgrades for others.

How do i see the rest of the weapons/vigors?

NVM... there was a scroll bar...

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    I get why folks wouldn't like it. But holy hot dang I loved how it ended.

It's like Levine saw all the hate the ending to the first game got and was all, "motherfuckers, I got this."

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    whoa the pinkertons still exist today.

anyway, my 2 cents on the ending...
    if you didnt want to engage with some silly sci fi shenanigans then why did you play a game set on a floating city in 1912? you gotta know youre getting on board for some nonsense. i loved it though, personally. also now i want to go reread Quarantine by Greg Egan.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I get why folks wouldn't like it. But holy hot dang I loved how it ended.

It's like Levine saw all the hate the ending to the first game got and was all, "motherfuckers, I got this."

Huh. Now that you mention it...

ENDING SPOILERS
    Infinite does two important things that the first two games lacked. First, this is the closest we're ever going to get to seeing the downfall of Rapture everybody craves.

Second, it doesn't let go of the personal character story element of Jack/Delta/Little Sisters, and instead makes it better. It keeps the story on the main character and the girl, but this time we actually care, and (hopefully) more than the revolution and downfall of the city. The revolution sequence is just the logical conclusion to Rapture and Columbia (and DeWitt knows it), and though DeWitt wants no part of it right down to the end, the timeline martyrdom shows that DeWitt has the capacity to be that stereotypical revolutionary hero some players wanted him to be. I know I was most certainly in Kill Whitey mode by the time I reached Finkton.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.