As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer won't post

BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
So, I figured it was about time to upgrade my PC and bought a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and graphics card. I installed everything and the fans turn on, but the computer doesn't post. I removed the graphics card thinking maybe my PSU didn't have enough juice. Still no post. Any ideas?

EDIT: I also tried using just one stick of RAM (and switching between the 3), thinking one of the sticks could be bad. Unless all 3 are bad, that isn't the problem.

BionicPenguin on

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Try checking all the power connectors, one time I plugged the CPU fan into the wrong connector on teh motherboard and this would happen..., make sure the PSU is turned to the correct setting and all?

Listen for beeps, if there is an error check the codes for your motherboard.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I only have the bare essentials plugged into it right now (on button, CPU fan, and the power connections).

The problem is that there are no beeps whatsoever.

BionicPenguin on
    edited August 2010
    Wont be any beeps if you don't have your internal speaker plugged in unless it's part of the MB.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited August 2010
    Ah, I thought the beeps always came from the motherboard (that was the case with my last one). Well, either way, nothing comes up on the monitor. I've tried with my new card and the old one and nothing happens. Also, my keyboard doesn't light up.

BionicPenguin on
    edited August 2010
    Could be a lot of things, I really don't know without looking at it.

I had a problem last time I put an intel PC together that I plugged the CPU fan into the wrong connector on the motherboard because it had three prongs, when the correct connector has four when the cable from the fan has 3...

One time I also forgot to plug in the secondary power.

Both times, the fans would start, but no display and no beeps.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • AisengardAisengard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, make sure you plugged in ALL the power cables that your motherboard needs, IIRC there is usually an auxiliary power (for stuff like fans, I think) as well as the main one. Just be sure to read your motherboard manual completely. I made this error once.

Aisengard on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds like a short. Will it POST out of the case?

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Re-seat everything, and make sure the CPU fan is tightly secured. I just picked up an i5 this week, and I managed to partially dislodge the fan going from the top of a desk to mounting the MB in the case.

Artereis on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm with zilla, sounds like a short.

Make sure you used the risers that came with the case to lift the motherboard off the case.
    In my years of computing, they have always looked like the gold ones: buildacomputer_2.JPG

rfalias on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Going to have to echo the short sentiment. Only other thing I can think of is the PSU not being connected/turned on. Do any fans turn?

GungHo on
    edited August 2010
    I tried taking everything out and putting it back together, but no such luck. I don't think there's anything wrong with the PSU. I installed all my old parts again (but using the new graphics card instead) and it works fine. I'm thinking I'll send the motherboard back and get a replacement.

EDIT: And, yes, I'm using risers.

BionicPenguin on