Options

WE NEED Dungeons and Dragons Arcade for PSN and Xbox Arcade

ShadowhamsterShadowhamster Registered User new member
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
Simple enough. Recently I downloaded Final Fight Double Impact, and yes, it is cool.

Magic Sword and Final fight are truly classic games, but with PSN no longer allowing otherOS and Microsoft never having such a feature, it's sad to see so many classics get overlooked. I could go on about beat 'em ups like Mechwarrior, but the ones that stand out in my mind are the two Dungeons and Dragons beat 'em ups.

Tower of Doom and Shadows over Mystara had an array of moves, depth to each character, and lots of techniques to keep the play fresh. The dungeons and dragon touches to the game are nice too, but not as important to note as the controls, art, and variety of this one. It's just a great couple of games no matter how you look at it.

What's more, as far as I know these two never got an american console release, and they were games that benefited from the interaction in towns and such. I would be happy to pay a little for these two gems if they could be re-rendered in HD and put out on PSN and Xbox Arcade, and I think the only thing stopping capcom from doing so is probably no demand.

So that's all I'm requesting. Lets tell capcom there is reason to give these two awesome games the full treatment.

Shadowhamster on

• Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While I agree these game are fantastic, it might be difficult to secure rerelease rights from wizards of the coast, as the arcade games were what, 2nd edition, I don't know, where they are pimping 4th edition pretty hard now. They were awesome though, someone got there street fighter 2 in my branching path game with heavy inventory and resource management, yet somehow streamlined enough for arcades!

Ultarune on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would certainly love to see these remade for XBLA or something but I doubt it will happen.

You really don't see many d&d video games anymore.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes, please.

This would be awesome, and that's why it will probably never happen. :(

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ultarune wrote: »
    While I agree these game are fantastic, it might be difficult to secure rerelease rights from wizards of the coast, as the arcade games were what, 2nd edition, I don't know...
    Except for the setting there was fuck-all edition related in those games. ;-)

Glal on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd just like to see a new, good D&D title. 4th Edition is practically built to support a ton of awesome video games, but Atari isn't doing shit with the license.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'd just like to see a new, good D&D title. 4th Edition is practically built to support a ton of awesome video games, but Atari isn't doing shit with the license.

Ironically, I think one of the reasons we aren't seeing new games is because Wizards is suing Atari for misuse of the license. They weren't happy with D&D Online and, like you said, Atari hasn't done much else. Once all the litigation is over, we will hopefully see more titles.

My heart still burns for a good 4th edition console dungeon crawler.

Ceno on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As far as I know all D&D video games made back when TSR still existed are stuck in licensing hell. I don't think a single game from that time has been re-released or will be in the foreseeable future.

august on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    august wrote: »
    As far as I know all D&D video games made back when TSR still existed are stuck in licensing hell. I don't think a single game from that time has been re-released or will be in the foreseeable future.

You can buy stonekeep from good ol' games. I think that was part of the eye of the beholder series, which was D&D based, wasn't it?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    From what I understand, the reason you haven't seen any new D&D games since NWN2 is because Wizards of the Coast are really difficult to work with. They place all sorts of ridiculous mandates on what you can and cannot do with their license and their IPs.

That's the whole reason Bioware broke away from making killer D&D games and made Dragon Age instead. I mean, DA is basically just D&D without the license anyway. But now they have the creative liberty to do whatever they please, whereas before they were under the tediously watchful eye of WotC.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, this would be great. One year for Christmas when I was a kid one of my relatives was kind of broke, so they went to Tilt, the local arcade, and threw a $10 bill in a token machine. At that time it would get you $12 worth of tokens, and that's what I got from them in a little box.

I put all $12 worth into Tower of Doom and still couldn't beat it, but it was glorious nonetheless.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I remember tilt, we had one in our mall in Hawaii and they always had the best arcade games! I don't think I've ever played thisgame, but I did see it once or twice and have been extremely tempted ever since to get the 4 meg+converter cartridge and this game for my Saturn. I would love to get this on XBLA or PSN. After that Final Fight mash-up, I'm practically foaming at the mouth for this game!

Nitsua on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would get such a nerd boner if they did this.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »

Ironically, I think one of the reasons we aren't seeing new games is because Wizards is suing Atari for misuse of the license. They weren't happy with D&D Online and, like you said, Atari hasn't done much else. Once all the litigation is over, we will hopefully see more titles.

My heart still burns for a good 4th edition console dungeon crawler.

Hasbro is suing over the games. This is the whole crux of the issue. D&D video game rights are viewed as completely separate from D&D base game things. Hasbro isn't a software company so they prompted sold the rights to Atari. Unfortunately Atari has kind of sucked balls since it got the rights.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sometimes I consider trying to get a Saturn just because the D&D games were actually released for it.

So, somebody at Capcom needs to find a way to sell us these wondrous things again.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    seabass wrote: »
    august wrote: »

You can buy stonekeep from good ol' games. I think that was part of the eye of the beholder series, which was D&D based, wasn't it?

Looking at its wikipedia article I'm not seeing anything about it being a D&D licensed game.

august on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    4th edition combat rules are so cold and mathematical they're pretty much made for a videogame.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In a right and just world, I could buy these as DD titles along with Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Aliens vs Predator, the Simpsons Arcade Game and the original X-Men six-player cabinet. :x

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    4th edition combat rules are so cold and mathematical they're pretty much made for a videogame.

Exactly. There's no rejiggering required. You could transfer all the combat rules and class powers directly without any need for further adaptation, because the system works as plainly and as simply as is mathematically possible. Honestly, if you consider all the micromanagement of stat bonuses, gear sets and talent trees, World of Warcraft's rule system is more complex than 4th edition.

It's a no-brainer, and I am quite frankly astonished that it hasn't happened.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Ultarune wrote: »
    While I agree these game are fantastic, it might be difficult to secure rerelease rights from wizards of the coast, as the arcade games were what, 2nd edition, I don't know...
    Except for the setting there was fuck-all edition related in those games. ;-)

The classes, spell slots, limited spell numbers per a day, differing per spell, breaking items, it doesn't hit you over the the head with it, but its definitely not 4th, which is a strike against it when you look at it like marketers. They don't want to rerelease a previous edition game that is awesome when they could hire a shitty company to make a shitty fourth edition game.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've posted a message to capcom here:
    http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/25630389/Tower_of_Doom_and_Shadow_over_Mystara.__Great_games_Id_like_to_see_in_HD?sdb=1&pg=last#462082913

Please let your voice be heard there. It's a start, and letting the releasing company know there is a reason to push for it is definitely a start.

As for the 4th Ed thing...
    3.5 is still the supported method in a lot of places including DDOU. It could also be pointed out that the reason you're not seeing a lot of play from this license at the moment is due to the suing of Atari for mishandling it. Hasbro are not happy campers about the "crappy 4th" games being put out, and have plenty of reason to give the go ahead on a previously released game that won't suffer from the license handling hopefully, if just to remind computer gamers that they exist.

Anyway, I know it's a dream, but I like dreaming, and sometimes when you dream hard enough and put effort into it, you get something out of it. I don't think it would happen anytime soon, but making the effort to push for it can't hurt.

Shadowhamster on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Please don't let the dream die!

Shadowhamster on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone else miss the intellivision Dungeons and Dragons game?

That snoring dragon haunts my dreams.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum