As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[suggest me some] Games by Flash Drive

citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizenI'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
So one of my favorite things for a while now is to have some games loaded on a USB flash drive that I can just pop in and play. Most of these games are older, so that they're able to run on just about any PC I happen to be using.

I'm looking for some more ideas on games that might work for this. They need to be relatively small (I have a 2GB and a 4GB drive), have low enough requirements to run on just about anything (think: no heavy graphics), and preferably be very cheap or even freeware. I'm open to suggestion in terms of genre; if someone feels a game is good I'll happily try it out.

Right now I'm carrying along:

DOOM, DOOM 2, Heretic, Hexen (I believe all running under zDoom)
Grand Prix 2 (via DOSbox)
GTA (the original, freeware version)
Beneath a Steel Sky (ScummVM)
Death Rally (freeware)
Dungeon Crawl (just one more level...DAMMIT, new character time)

Solid titles all, but I've been doing this for a while and would like to expand my horizons a bit. :mrgreen:

citizen059 on

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    XCOM?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Unreal Tournament 99 and QUake 1/2 work portably, and I'm fairly sure that the older Civ games do too.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In the days before I bought my laptop I used to roll with Spelunky in my thumb drive for when I had to come home from school. My old computer is total crap and lacks a mouse, but damned if I was going to do any reading or writing on my time off.

edit: there was a Gungirl 2 thread on these boards a while ago, and it fills the same retro pick-up-and-play niche.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Warzone 2100 is an old, free, and portable RTS game.

Warsow is a free and portable FPS (though not old, it uses the Quake 2 engine and scales well for older hardware).

Cave Story is an awesome freeware platformer.

Knytt and Knytt Stories are also amazing freeware platformers.

Anything made by Spiderweb Software is great if you're looking for old-school style isometric RPG's.

And lastly, you can check GOG.com for good old games that will probably run on a flash drive. I will warn you, however, that Unreal Tournament 2004 and the Heroes of Might and Magic games are goddamn impossible to get running on a thumb drive unless you have admin access and can edit the registry.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    august on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh yeah, Tribes 2. I never played any of the Tribes games until the past two or three years, but I started playing Tribes 2 on the goon's server and had a lot of fun. It's been awhile since I played but last I saw, the goons had the most populated server and a good ping.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't know for sure if these will run well off of a flash drive, but I don't see why they shouldn't.

Duke Nukem 3D
    Uplink (an excellent hacking sim)
    DEFCON (nuke the world sim)
    old C&C games (freeware now)

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Marathon games via Aleph One.

august on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    there's a flash game called infectonator: world dominator where you play some sort of bioterrorist attempting to conquer the world using zombies. It's like a 2mb flash file, I never get tired of it.

I'll post it on /f/ when I get home from work.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My friend has Starcraft loaded up on a flash drive.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks - can't believe I didn't think of some of these myself.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another World's anniversary edition needs to be added to the suggestions. Beautiful, hard, and small enough to be portable.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cube has always been a flashdrive favorite of mine

Rollercoaster Tycoon (I prefer the first w/ Loopy landscapes, but 2 should fit also) fits on one as well, though you'll have to do some mild shuffling of files to get it to play with no disk

Darmak wrote: »

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know you can play without the CD, but do you need to actually install SMAC to run it?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My entire 4 years in college, I did not live on campus, did not own a car, and would often have breaks of up to 4 hours between classes.

Dwarf Fortress on a thumbdrive made this a nonissue.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I currently carry around Stone Soup, Iji, Cave Story and Super Mario Bros. X on my USB drive.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fallout 1/2 fit nicely on a flashdrive. Problem is that they're over 1GB each (2 is, plus to got to copy over 1 file that isn't installed and then edit the ini file to point to it's new location).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another World's anniversary edition needs to be added to the suggestions. Beautiful, hard, and small enough to be portable.

what the... how did I not know THIS existed. Out of this world is all kinds of nostalga for me..

amazing! thanks for the eye opener!

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spelunky is probably a good fit.

jothki on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Master of Magic and Master of Orion.