As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stretching a Leather Bracelet

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Help / Advice Forum

NightDragon on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If it's a tight fit around the pill bottle, fill the pill bottle with water and put it in the freezer (provided the pill bottle is plastic).

My dad did this with a water-filled balloon to stretch a pair of shoes once.

japan on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't use water. It'll work, but it can also shrink leather. Or make it stiff. Or spot it. Rubbing alcohol might work, but it can do all of those things too.

Go to a place that sells shoes (doesn't have to be an expensive place, JC Penney has it) and buy a can of leather strech. It's in a small spray can. Follow the instructions on the label. That stuff can still discolor leather a little (tends to darken it), but I've had very good luck using it on shoes. And it avoids a lot of the pitfalls of homebrew methods. Plus, you can use it on leather shoes.

You still will need a way of stretching the leather. Any progressively larger series of object you can wrap it around. If you use the spray, you may even be able to just stretch it out by hand (work across the leather in small segments when pulling, if you just pull the ends, it's going to thin out somewhere in the middle).

Freezine the pill bottle when it's completely filled with water is not a bad idea at all, assuming that'll buldge in the middle.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Good ideas, thanks! :)

I guess I'd have to find a way to take the wax off first, though...either that or just soak it in the spray...

I'm broke as hell right now, though, so if there are any similar-but-free options, those would be great to hear, too. :D

NightDragon on