As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are some good PC farming games?

nukanuka What are circles?Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a horrible weakness for agriculture, really just making shit in a game makes me so happy. I'm on a farming trip and I need some more, at least before I start donning carharts, cowboy boots, flannel and pig tails.

I have Rune Factory 2 and a Harvest Moon game on my DS, but I want something on my computer.

I have Sim Farm, yeah that old thing. (Fuck you cousin Jed!) That is it, it's all I got. I do plant a lot of stuff in The Sims but I want something more farmy, things like livestock and things like that. So I don't want a game that just so happens to include a agricultural aspect to it, but an actual farming game.

Also I'm having trouble finding a decent guide to Sim Farm online, so far it's just cheats and a direct copy of the help section in the game. I used to own this huge manual that came with the game (it was a box set of Sim Farm, Sim City and Sim Earth) but that is long gone and I don't remember if it just talked about farming or just the game.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
nuka on

• Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    I have a horrible weakness for agriculture, really just making shit in a game makes me so happy. I'm on a farming trip and I need some more, at least before I start donning carharts, cowboy boots, flannel and pig tails.

I have Rune Factory 2 and a Harvest Moon game on my DS, but I want something on my computer.

I have Sim Farm, yeah that old thing. (Fuck you cousin Jed!) That is it, it's all I got. I do plant a lot of stuff in The Sims but I want something more farmy, things like livestock and things like that. So I don't want a game that just so happens to include a agricultural aspect to it, but an actual farming game.

Also I'm having trouble finding a decent guide to Sim Farm online, so far it's just cheats and a direct copy of the help section in the game. I used to own this huge manual that came with the game (it was a box set of Sim Farm, Sim City and Sim Earth) but that is long gone and I don't remember if it just talked about farming or just the game.

Maybe this is too obvious, but, isn't Farmville like the most popular game in the world right now? I've never played it myself, but from what I know it sounds like it hits everything you want.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You could play the smash hit FARMING SIMULATOR 2009, it looks pretty rad.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything else like SimFarm. I adored that game, I can still call up the (awful) music in my head. The only tips I remember were to pretty much always grow strawberries unless you were in a climate where oranges grew, and that you could use irrigation ditches as unbreakable fences for your livestock.

Fats on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nuka wrote: »

Maybe this is too obvious, but, isn't Farmville like the most popular game in the world right now? I've never played it myself, but from what I know it sounds like it hits everything you want.
    I'm afraid that once I play it, I will need rehab. D:

Fats wrote: »
    You could play the smash hit FARMING SIMULATOR 2009, it looks pretty rad.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything else like SimFarm. I adored that game, I can still call up the (awful) music in my head. The only tips I remember were to pretty much always grow strawberries unless you were in a climate where oranges grew, and that you could use irrigation ditches as unbreakable fences for your livestock.
    Yeah that's all I can find as far as tips go, also that's fucking ridiculous how strawberries win the game, what if I wanted to grow some Gladiolus?

nuka on
  • Options
    homargoodnesshomargoodness Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not exactly farming but it might scratch the same sort of itch: www.minecraft.net

(and hey, technically you can plant stuff and make it grow in the game!)

homargoodness on
    homarg00dness.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Some old games: Even though it's not technically about farming, the main thing I remember about Lord of the Realms 2 was managing crop rotations.

Also, while it's more of a whole economy and logistics simulator, Settlers 2 is pretty good

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MongoBigHeadMongoBigHead Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The best PC farming game, even better than Sim Farm IMHO, is John Deere American Farmer. My friends and I played the hell out of this game.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/johndeereamericanfarmer/index.html

MongoBigHead on
    PSN: Action_Jakeson
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I loved me some SimFarm... Sid Meier is a genius. I would however be nice if the game had a growth time for larger crops (apples / oranges) ie - plant and then hemorrhage money for 20 years until the trees grow enough to product anything at all. Gladiolas do well and harvest frequently (3 crops a season in the right weather - they are very fertilizer dependent and need lots of wind breaks... but I digress.

Some titles that might be worth taking a look at:

John Deere: American Farmer (2004)
    Harvest Moon (1-3)

There is also a farm management MMORPG that appears to be popular in Southeast Asia called "Happy Farm" not sure if that's at all up your alley but...

Phisti on
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How can Anyone forget Farmsville...

File:Farmville.png

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Phisti wrote: »
    I loved me some SimFarm... Sid Meier is a genius. I would however be nice if the game had a growth time for larger crops (apples / oranges) ie - plant and then hemorrhage money for 20 years until the trees grow enough to product anything at all. Gladiolas do well and harvest frequently (3 crops a season in the right weather - they are very fertilizer dependent and need lots of wind breaks... but I digress.

Some titles that might be worth taking a look at:

John Deere: American Farmer (2004)
    Harvest Moon (1-3)

There is also a farm management MMORPG that appears to be popular in Southeast Asia called "Happy Farm" not sure if that's at all up your alley but...

Sid Meier is a genius, but SimFarm was probably more Will Wright at Maxis (who was also a genius until Spore) :)

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dwarf fortress has tons of farming.

Orestus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Some old games: Even though it's not technically about farming, the main thing I remember about Lord of the Realms 2 was managing crop rotations.

Also, while it's more of a whole economy and logistics simulator, Settlers 2 is pretty good
    Oh yeah, I've got LoTR 2, but that was more about building an army and crushing your enemies than farming, that was just to feed your peasantry.

My way of growing apples to open up the crop manager and wait for the weeds, pests and fungus levels to grow high then I spray the crops otherwise you just poison it.

EDIT: I'm checking out those links you guys have sent me so far.

nuka on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How can Anyone forget Farmsville...

Easily. Farmville is shit compared to Harvest Moon. All the tedium, none of the fun!

How about Viva Pinata?

BoomShake on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Orestus wrote: »
    Dwarf fortress has tons of farming.

Dwarf fortress is more like herding cats, and making them herd real cats, then try and make weapons before goblins shoot them. It does have a nice economic model and everything with food and booze production as an important feature from a very basic standpoint.

Also Plants vs Zombies, its like gardening but with zombies... I'll try and think of something better.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thank you Gdiguy... I'm having more and more momentary lapses like that. SimFarm indeed has nothing to do with Sid Meier (although he is a genius).

Phisti on
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here are 2 very old computer games, based in ancient Egypt with lots of farming: Pharaoh and Children of the Nile. You are basically the ruler of a small town.

The Guild and The Guild 2 are 2 other semi old PC games (part 2 will run on vista). You are the head of a medieval family, trying to become the dominant figure in a small town, both politically and financially. You can operate many different types of buisnesses, including farming in part 2. But also ring of thieves, mines, lumberyards, blacksmith and a bunch of others.

Tropico 1 and 2 had farming in them, They are both available to subscribers on gametap if you want to try them out. Tropico 3 came out more recently, but I haven't played that one, myself. That one is also on game tap and on XBox 360. There might be a demo for XBox if you wanna try it out for free.

Siska on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Rune Factory 2 would be fantastic if they got rid of the magic, repetitive game play and gross childlike women. :(

The Guild sounds right up my alley but it's really starting to seem like the game I am looking for either doesn't exist, I already own it like Children of the Nile or LoTR2, or is just a tiny, castrated chunk of a larger strategy game. I will check out that Farming Simulator game, as well as the John Deer game suggested but after reading the reviews on Amazon about the latter, I dunno how impressive the game really is but I will look into that some more.

Welp! Time to go back to 1701 A.D. and the like. Also typing this post out made me sell a shitty $800 crop of gladiolus. :(

If there's any more to suggest though I would love to hear it.

nuka on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also Plants vs Zombies, its like gardening but with zombies...

This is the best suggestion.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also Plants vs Zombies, its like gardening but with zombies...

This is the best suggestion.

Yeah but I already own it. :(

nuka on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Farming Simulator? Only heard of it, and I think it might be more vehicle / machinery oriented.

http://www.giants-software.com/ls09GoldDetail.php

subedii on
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is a bit out there, but A Tale in the Desert if you want to go the MMO route. I played it for awhile and there's a ton of farming and creating (that's all it is actually, plus some exploration too). I'm pretty sure there's a 24 hour free trial before you have to pay anything.

Edit: Also it's farming in ancient Egypt, so if you're looking for the whole big red barn and cow stuff it's probably not the best recommendation.

milehigh on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    keep in mind A Tale In The Desert is all about the online community

and the online community is like 10 dudes right now :/

Raneados on
  • Options
    TJPrideTJPride Missouri, USARegistered User new member
    Oh man, I loved all those Maxis games. SimFarm was fun in its own way, also SimAnt, SimCity of course, SimTower, A-Train (actually an asian game, if I remember correctly, but Maxis distributed it here in the US), etc. I did play Harvest Moon as well, though to be honest I would have liked a bit of combat added, something along the lines of wolf attacks. Did any of you ever play The Horde? Cow / maceman matrix all the way! Now that was a good game, I wish someone would do a remake. Also somewhat remotely related to the topic - Fuzzbodies, an ancient Apple IIE game (now remade for Windows by some fan, I believe) where much of the world is "fuzzed" and running around infecting everyone else, and you're constantly trying to grow crystals so you can use them to cure people and eventually knock out the boss (a giant TV). The civvies are always running up and trying to grab your crystals, but that's not too bad as long as it's kept within reason.

Really, I enjoyed the old days of gaming a lot more. More heart to those games and less focus on glitz.

The Farming Game: Software Edition for PC and Mac - http://www.thefarminggame.net
    Official software version of The Farming Game board game, which has sold over 350,000 copies and garnered all sorts of awards.
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Try 'Don't Starve.'

It's more of a survival game, but it has agricultural elements. And the game is in alpha or beta right now, so they're constantly updating it!

This discussion has been closed.