Options

Friends Charged with 2nd degree Assault my fault.

2»

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well let's steer it back on topic here, no matter what we all individually think about the cops I'm pretty sure we can all agree that these kids got what they deserved in terms of the arrest and charge. I mean, there are laws for toy guns to make sure that they don't resemble real guns but that Airsoft stuff still looks legit.

Coulda ben a lot worse for them too. Never know who else saw them and would have called the cops. Just a bad call and certainly not the fault of the OP.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    legionofonelegionofone __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Thought I wandered into a D&D thread for a moment there.

Best advice I have is don't plead guilty to a felony, even if its some Class Q level felony that has a handslap fine, because felonies are like an anchor around your neck. Have their lawyer explain to the ADA what happened. Hopefully they'll get rid of the 2nd degree assault at least, and but they'll probably get their weiners slapped for wasting everyone's time, and rightfully so.

legionofone on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just managed to get on and read the responses (Gamesday yesterday) I have spoken with my friends since it all happened and neither of them blame me. They both have now officially been charged where previously it was just the guy who picked up the guns. Someone asked what City I live in it's in Cumberland Maryland, as far as I know my one friend is planning or has gotten a lawyer the other didn't mention what he was doing when last I spoke with him.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    Just managed to get on and read the responses (Gamesday yesterday) I have spoken with my friends since it all happened and neither of them blame me. They both have now officially been charged where previously it was just the guy who picked up the guns. Someone asked what City I live in it's in Cumberland Maryland, as far as I know my one friend is planning or has gotten a lawyer the other didn't mention what he was doing when last I spoke with him.

I have no advice beyond the don't lie and cooperate with the lawyers crowd. But if it makes you feel any better, based on my own experiences in the legal system, I will be surprised if the prosecuters really want to waste a judge's time with a case like this. I'm guessing the lawyers are going to reach some sort of misdemeanor plea bargain.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    HoovesHooves Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wait why would he lie in the first place?

the best thing he can do for his friends is testify and say exactly what happened.

also your friends aren't going to jail. worst that will happen is they get fined and their guns taken away.

Hooves on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hooves wrote: »

the best thing he can do for his friends is testify and say exactly what happened.

also your friends aren't going to jail. worst that will happen is they get fined and their guns taken away.

No, the worst that will happen is that his friends will go to jail.

That's the worst outcome of the trial. They likely won't face the worst outcome, but there it is.

That's like saying the worst thing that could happen when you're skydiving is that you twist an ankle on your landing. No, the worst thing that could happen is your chute doesn't open. Is it likely? No. But it could happen.

They're apparently lawyering up, so they've got the best chance they're gonna get now. I do agree though that it is unlikely they'll serve jail time for this.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    like i said

people get charged with the maximum they can be and it gets whittled down in court and with talks and with plea discussions

they're almost certainly not going to jail for ANY amount of time

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    like i said

people get charged with the maximum they can be and it gets whittled down in court and with talks and with plea discussions

they're almost certainly not going to jail for ANY amount of time

Say whatever you want here, but statements like these aren't helpful when you have zero legal background.

Figgy on
  • Options
    HoovesHooves Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Hooves wrote: »

No, the worst that will happen is that his friends will go to jail.

That's the worst outcome of the trial. They likely won't face the worst outcome, but there it is.

That's like saying the worst thing that could happen when you're skydiving is that you twist an ankle on your landing. No, the worst thing that could happen is your chute doesn't open. Is it likely? No. But it could happen.

They're apparently lawyering up, so they've got the best chance they're gonna get now. I do agree though that it is unlikely they'll serve jail time for this.

my point was that it is highly unlikely they will due time and I think I made that point pretty clearly. you're just bitching about semantics.

Hooves on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not "bitching" about anything. I'm just being realistic. Statements like yours in red are what encourage people in these situations to say, "Yeah, you're right" and then not take it seriously enough.

Figgy on
  • Options
    ResonantResonant Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not "bitching" about anything. I'm just being realistic. Statements like yours in red are what encourage people in these situations to say, "Yeah, you're right" and then not take it seriously enough.

You're getting all fussy about how he formatted his post. You are fucking kidding me right?
    Ziac45 wrote: »

To provide help or advice to you Ziac, you did the right thing. I was actually in a similar position to yours years ago. Talk to their lawyers. I gave a written and signed testimony that saved them. Nothing will help save your friends more than hearing from the person who initially reported them about how it was all just an unfortunate misunderstanding.

Good luck.

Resonant on
    convergesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Resonant wrote: »

You're getting all fussy about how he formatted his post. You are fucking kidding me right?

This is the last I'll say on the matter, but once again he basically said his friends will not see any jail time.

He is not a lawyer. He is not a judge. More importantly, he is not their lawyer, and he is not their judge.

People have served jail time for lesser crimes than brandishing toy weapons as a prank. It's not out of the realm of possibility, and he has no authority or expertise to be assuring the OP that his friends are only going to be fined for this.

That's all I'm saying.

Figgy on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Great and now let's drop it!

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH