As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheap meal ideas

SipexSipex Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, due to circumstances out of my control I've got $74 for two people to last us until end of day next (ie: 1 week + 1 day) thursday. This is Canadian dollars but the prices will probably be similar being food items.

Anyways, I need some ideas on how to stretch this out without eating KD or hot dogs every night, suggestions?

Sipex on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Okay, due to circumstances out of my control I've got $74 for two people to last us until end of day next (ie: 1 week + 1 day) thursday. This is Canadian dollars but the prices will probably be similar being food items.

Anyways, I need some ideas on how to stretch this out without eating KD or hot dogs every night, suggestions?

Burritos!

Esh on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Easy.

Those Kraft Pasta Salads are pretty good and like a buck a piece. Off brand box Mac n Cheese for 50c a box. You can get a giant bag of pasta and a can of marinara and not spend over 5$ and that will last a while.

Peanut butter and bread.

There is a particular brand of frozen pizza that I like that are usually 1.50 a piece.

Not gonna be healthy.

Get you a pound of rice and some frozen veggies.

Sheep on
  • Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pasta.

You can make your own sauce in a crock-pot (2 29 oz cans sauce + 1 18 oz can paste + spices to taste), cheap noodles, either serve as is with spaghetti or get some penne and bake with cheese. I think I worked it out to about US$1.50/serving for baked penne back in the college days. Lasagna's pretty inexpensive too, though ricotta will add to the price, but you can flesh it out by adding in fresh veggies, which are cheap and filling.

Making your own pizza is fun and much less expensive than buying it out. Dough's pretty simple to make, just flour and oil and yeast mostly (plenty recipes out there), you can use the aforementioned sauce, load up on whatever toppings you like that are not too expensive. 8 oz of cheese will cover a 16" pizza, easily.

You can usually get ground beef pretty cheaply if you want to make chili or something like that, especially if you're willing to make a fair bit of it. This ground beef can also be used for Esh's burritos, which are another good cheap idea.

Chicken leg quarters can usually be picked up for not too much money per pound, and are quite good baked with potatoes and vegetables - simple, but inexpensive.

Stock up on fruits and vegetables, they're much less expensive to eat than meat. Avoid any convenience foods like frozen dinners, which are usually fairly pricey. It's almost always cheaper to bake from scratch than to buy, so keep that in mind.

Also, if you have a lot of time and the inclination, homemade noodles are extremely inexpensive and really delicious. They're a bit of a hassle, though.

illirica on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pork butt (shoulder) can be had for $1-2/lb. Prepare by smoking, braising or crockpot. It can take a lot of seasoning/spice. Also you can often get chicken legs/thighs for around $1/lb on sale. Gotta mix it up though as it can get monotonous, like last week I did a pork butt in a crock pot with a bunch of hatch chillies; after getting bored of it as a stew I reserved half of the leftovers for pulled-pork sandwiches and then rolled the other half up with cheese in corn tortillas, covered in roast tomatillo salsa, sprinkled with cilantro and cheese and bake for enchiladas.

Beans and rice is cheap, and can be a good base (for burritos) or side dish, or sometimes I just eat it with cheese and onions (kinda like a veggie chili).

Djeet on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Note that whole wheat pasta is really about as cheap, if not exactly as cheap as ''normal" pasta, though it's about 50 times healthier.

Also, brown rice is ridiculously cheap and pretty damn healthy and can fill out a ton of meals.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We had alot of lentil soup when we were freshman in college.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Lentils and whole grain rice. I actually suggest jasmine rice.

You make lentils like you make rice, but it's about twice as much water as you've got lentil in the pot. Bring the pot to a boil. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and check back in 30 minutes or so. When it's all soft and soaked up the water, add spices. Ground coriander, ground cumin, ground chili powder, garlic powder and ground turmeric. All have wonderful flavours and lots of health benefits. Add some salt (I prefer kosher but it's your call) and it's fucking delicious.

Serve next to a roughly equal sized heap of jasmine rice, combine both rice and lentil on your fork with each bite and you're in heaven. It's two of the cheapest things you can buy, you can store them in bulk forever if you keep them dry and sealed up, and it's incredibly good for you. It's all fibre and protein and a tiny amount of good fat.

Tips:
    Never add any kind of spice or salt to the lentils until after they are cooked. When cooking them, only allow water into the pot.
    You want the texture of the lentils to be like a thick or heavy paste almost. Like a pate, not quite like peanut butter but closer to peanut butter than to soup.
    You can add a bit of oil to liven them up if they're a little dry after being cooked. I recommend grapeseed for its health benefits (it actually reduces cholesterol levels), or either extra virgin olive or peanut oil for their flavours.

It's the definition of cheap, simple food.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rice and frozen chicken breast + half a packet of taco seasoning.
    Saute the chicken breast in whatever you've got lying around, (butter, olive oil, other oils etc).
    cook rice, when rice is done stir in half packet of taco seasoning. serve with the chicken.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eggs. $2 a dozen, hard boil them and throw some hot sauce on them as you eat them and you're golden.

If you like eggs and hot sauce, that is.

adytum on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ramen noodles... PB&J... Tuna/Hamburger Helper... some frozen pizza...

I'd go online and stretch your dollar with some coupons.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a Canadian and just got back from Michigan today, and let me tell you, food prices are a LOT lower in the US than in Canada. That said the kinds of things that are cheap tend to be the same things, so most of this advice is still relevant. If you live in Ontario look for some of the Foodland Ontario booths, or just farmers with booths on the side of the road - corn is usually cheaper from them this time of year, and is delicious.

Other than that look for no name versions of pizza pockets and stuff like that to fill a couple meals because they're fairly cheap and not all that awful tasting.

I'm trying to think of healthy things that are cheap but none really come to mind. If you have a costco membership buy some bulk stuff since that'll stretch out your budget even if you might get bored of eating the same stuff repeatedly.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man you can live for a week on HALF that much

make chilli, a BIG batch - ground up turkey, beans, chilli powder, whatever you have - bet that'll make enough for half a week in itself

when i was poor (we're talking 25$ of food stamps for a week, here) i would buy curry packages and add carrots, mushrooms, chicken, and a big thing of rice - and thatd always work for around 5 days
    i also had a jar of PB and a loaf of bread, as well as ramen noodles

i live in vancouver, bc - safeway is where i did my shopping - there and superstore

here's a big tip, though - look in your cupboards first, and work your way out. canned things you havent used? spices? figure out what you need to add to include those in your meal.

mully on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Banquet home style bakes are decent if you can find them.

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What people have said is pretty much what I'd say.

When I need to eat on the cheap I usually revert to stuff in cans.

Rice and beans go a long way and it's pretty filling... a lot you can do with that. (Add turkey for chili or just make rice and red/black beans with some taco sauce and it's pretty delicious)

Cans of chili are also really damn cheap and each one of those is a meal.

Cans of chicken (or if you can find a cheap piece of real chicken) shred it up and mix in mayo (I prefer miracle whip) and voila! Chicken salad! if you can find a cheap enough rotisserie chicken there is enough meat on there for MANY days of chicken salad.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Stick to the three sisters: corn, beans, and squash.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome, sounds solid guys, a lot of things I always forget about here.

Thanks a lot!

Sipex on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, and tilapia is comparable to chicken in price, and tastes great shallow fried.

Dandelions also make good eating, and you can make a tasty flour out of acorns if you do it right (not a very reliably source of food, but a fun way to spend a day off).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Buy anything that's in season locally! I just found brocolli 70c a bunch, green peppers 79c a lb, zucchini 70c a lb etc... all stuff that is normally like $2 in the off season. I just buy a whole bunch of that, some canned beans, and bulk stewing beef and toss it in a slow cooker with whatever spices I'm in the mood for, and usually some bbq sauce. I could fit much less than half of what I bought for $20 in the first batch of stew and it fed me 2 days straight making 5-6 bowls.

exmello on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, you can spice up Kraft Dinner fairly well. Personally I mix in this cheddar and jalapeno sauce mix thats meant for something else, mustard, and ketchup. You can also mix in ham, or sliced hotdogs etc. It's not going to taste gourmet or anything, but it'll be a bit better and should help keep you from getting toooo bored with the taste.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chicken (breasts, thighs, etc) plus vegetables (fresh broccoli crowns are running here at 74 cents/lb).

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    RericReric Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Also, you can spice up Kraft Dinner fairly well. Personally I mix in this cheddar and jalapeno sauce mix thats meant for something else, mustard, and ketchup. You can also mix in ham, or sliced hotdogs etc. It's not going to taste gourmet or anything, but it'll be a bit better and should help keep you from getting toooo bored with the taste.

I do this pretty frequently. Sometimes just adding a can of tuna. Or if you want to get a little fancier take a can of hormel chili mix in a can of black beans and a can of corn. You can use that mixture directly with mac and cheese. Also shoudl be plenty left over to put on top of a baked potato for another meal.

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Reric wrote: »
    Wezoin wrote: »

I do this pretty frequently. Sometimes just adding a can of tuna. Or if you want to get a little fancier take a can of hormel chili mix in a can of black beans and a can of corn. You can use that mixture directly with mac and cheese. Also shoudl be plenty left over to put on top of a baked potato for another meal.

Scrambled eggs in mac and cheese is also pretty rad.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Uncle Ben's has these rice packets that are about 50c to $1.50 depending on style (Spanish rice is expensive, plain rice and butter is cheap). Two people can get a pretty reasonable meal on a packet of one of these. When I lived alone I would make one for lunch and have it for dinner, plus enough to have a snack before bed so I wouldn't wake up starving.

Stove top can actually make a meal on it's own. Throw some random stuff off the spice rack into it, chop up a bit of garlic (real garlic's cheap, too. I just got two cloves for 50c and that'll last a couple months, even putting it on almost everything).

Somebody mentioned those Kraft pasta salads, but in the same aisle there should be some little packets of pasta or rice. Usually about $1, but you don't get as much out of them as an Uncle Ben's pack, you'll need something else to go with it.

There's also Viola, which is just frozen pasta... stuff. Comes in a lot of varieties. $2 meal for two people there. I think there's even a cheaper brand of the same stuff.

Check out the frozen stir fry, too. There's a lot of brands, even the expensive ones will make a decent $3 meal, and they taste good.

Somebody mentioned cheap frozen pizza, they're talking about Totinos. For two people, though, get Tony's. $2.50 instead of $1.50 like Totinos, but two people can split a Tony's pizza where Totino's are a lot smaller personal pizzas and you'll each easily eat one.

$70 for two people for a week isn't too bad as long as you don't just order a pizza when you don't feel like cooking.

Hevach on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aggressively look for deals too. I always save 5-10 bucks per week on my groceries because 99% of what I buy is on sale that week.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I do a lot of shopping at Big Y (New England) and they often have a buy 1 get 2 free deal on chicken. I can often go and get $100 of groceries for $50.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shiiiiit... $74 dollars is easy. Me and my wife are down to our last $12 until the next pay period, with about 3 bills to pay. Gogo medical bills!! The advice in this thread is good. Make lots of potato based stews. They are good, cheap, and easy. A can of beef or chicken broth or that powdery shit that is essentially the same thing, some water, potatoes and whatever other veggies you want.. carrots celery cabbage etc. Cook it on low for a long time and then eat.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.