As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diodes - A very boring question which someone might know the answer to...

tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
OK, so, I'm using a diode and almost all sources say that the voltage drop across a silicon diode is about 0.7 V. However is this true for any current from zero up to the destruction point of the diode? So, if I apply a few micro Amps, will I still see a 0.7 V drop across the terminals?

I suppose what I'm asking is, at a few microamps of current, does a diode effectively behave like a Mega Ohm resistor along it's correct flow path. Otherwise the whole, current drop of 0.7 V thing I see everywhere would make no sense.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
tbloxham on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Does this help?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode#Current.E2.80.93voltage_characteristic

I'm really, really, really not an expert at all but it says at the bottom of the section that more current results in a greater voltage drop. And that if you don't have high enough voltage, you won't see current pass through at all. And I really wish I stuck with electronics because way too much of this is way over my head.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    From what I've always been taught, just treat a diode as a 0.7V drop regardless. I do believe more current will equal more voltage drop, but I think you'd have to be pumping at or near the limit of the diode to get any appreciable difference. Across most of the range, it's just treat it like 0.7V.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    At a basic level a diode, at least when setup to be forward-biased, acts as an open circuit when less than the built-in potential voltage is present across the terminals, and acts as a wire (up to its maximum current handling) when greater than that voltage is present.

When reverse-biased, it will conduct slightly more current when below breakdown voltage, then break down and conduct as a wire once you exceed that (the difference, however, is that when this happens in the "wrong" direction it will usually be toast afterwards...it'll no longer function correctly).

The voltage drop will vary slightly across the usable range of the diode, but for most applications yes you can just treat it as either a 0.7 voltage drop or an open circuit (depending whether it's forward biased or not).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you're looking to model it in a circuit, this is probably the most useful approximation.

Diode_Modelling_Image9.jpg

That's an ideal diode (0 current when a negative voltage is present, full current when a positive is present), plus a voltage source (approximating the 0.7 drop) plus a current-limiting resistor (which will give you a slight slope to approximate the I-V curve when forward biased).

Though obviously that model doesn't deal with reverse biasing at all. And for simpler functions, you can omit the resistor (which is what I did in the previous post).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you apply less then the triggering amperage to the diode, it will have your source voltage dropping across it.

once you've passed that amperage (usually in the 10's of thousands of micro amps) Voltage drop across the diode will become .7, or roughly that.

(In forward, or correct, bias)

Slo on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »
    OK, so, I'm using a diode and almost all sources say that the voltage drop across a silicon diode is about 0.7 V. However is this true for any current from zero up to the destruction point of the diode? So, if I apply a few micro Amps, will I still see a 0.7 V drop across the terminals?

Hey, just to be sure, do you mean mA or uA? Because mA is a milliamp, and uA is microamps, and 1mA = 1000uA - i.e. a microamp is really, really tiny.

So tiny, that for most diodes, a few microamps is about the amount of leakage current through the diode. Think of a diode like a valve which can't close properly - there'll always be a very small amount of current leaking through the diode. For a vast majority of designs, leakage current is so small that we just ignore it.

On the flip side, a fair few (small signal) diodes happily operate as you'd expect at 1mA.

For a first order approximation:

* If you can only supply a few microamps through the diode, then the circuit is set up so that you have insufficient voltage to forward bias the diode. You should treat the diode as an open circuit.

* If you can supply a few milliamps, then you can treat a standard small signal silicon diode as having a forward drop of 0.7V (e.g. 1N4148).

For a slightly more detailed second order approximation:

* If the diode only has a few microamps, then you can apply Ohm's law to gain the equivalent resistance in megaohms (or hundred of kilo ohms). However, because the voltage/current characteristic of a diode is extremely non-linear, the equivalent R will change dramatically depending on the amount of current that's leaking through.

* If the diode has a few milliamps, then you can look at the datasheets for your diode to determine which voltage you'll actually run at, for a given current. For example, Figure 2 in this datasheet for a 1N4148 shows that 1mA will typically operate the diode at about 0.4-0.5V.

I suppose what I'm asking is, at a few microamps of current, does a diode effectively behave like a Mega Ohm resistor along it's correct flow path. Otherwise the whole, current drop of 0.7 V thing I see everywhere would make no sense.

Yes, it can act like an equivalent megaohm resistor if you want to do a more detailed approximation.

The whole 0.7V voltage drop is just a first order approximation for standard small signal silicon diodes operating at rated current <- this is the important assumption that is often left unstated - as you can see from the datasheet I pulled above, operating at non-rated currents changes the voltage drop.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Hey, just to be sure, do you mean mA or uA? Because mA is a milliamp, and uA is microamps, and 1mA = 1000uA - i.e. a microamp is really, really tiny.

So tiny, that for most diodes, a few microamps is about the amount of leakage current through the diode. Think of a diode like a valve which can't close properly - there'll always be a very small amount of current leaking through the diode. For a vast majority of designs, leakage current is so small that we just ignore it.

On the flip side, a fair few (small signal) diodes happily operate as you'd expect at 1mA.

For a first order approximation:

* If you can only supply a few microamps through the diode, then the circuit is set up so that you have insufficient voltage to forward bias the diode. You should treat the diode as an open circuit.

* If you can supply a few milliamps, then you can treat a standard small signal silicon diode as having a forward drop of 0.7V (e.g. 1N4148).

For a slightly more detailed second order approximation:

* If the diode only has a few microamps, then you can apply Ohm's law to gain the equivalent resistance in megaohms (or hundred of kilo ohms). However, because the voltage/current characteristic of a diode is extremely non-linear, the equivalent R will change dramatically depending on the amount of current that's leaking through.

* If the diode has a few milliamps, then you can look at the datasheets for your diode to determine which voltage you'll actually run at, for a given current. For example, Figure 2 in this datasheet for a 1N4148 shows that 1mA will typically operate the diode at about 0.4-0.5V.

Yes, it can act like an equivalent megaohm resistor if you want to do a more detailed approximation.

The whole 0.7V voltage drop is just a first order approximation for standard small signal silicon diodes operating at rated current <- this is the important assumption that is often left unstated - as you can see from the datasheet I pulled above, operating at non-rated currents changes the voltage drop.

OK, thanks a lot for everyones help. It's certainly been useful for trying to solve the problem I'm having.

What the problem is that an engineer I work with refurbished this device that uses a diode to monitor it's operating temperature. You just get the voltage drop at the correct current and then as the temperature changes, the voltage drop changes. You can then solve the diode equation to find T.

The problem is, that in all tests this device doesn't behave like a diode! In fact, I don't know what it behaves like! It has a negative thermal coefficient (it increases it's resistance as it cools) like a semiconductor, but the rate of change is really wierd, only changing a small amount over what we believe is a large temperature range.

Blasted refurbed devices, covered in mysterious doodads added by previous refurbishers...

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What the problem is that an engineer I work with refurbished this device that uses a diode to monitor it's operating temperature. You just get the voltage drop at the correct current and then as the temperature changes, the voltage drop changes. You can then solve the diode equation to find T.

The problem is, that in all tests this device doesn't behave like a diode! In fact, I don't know what it behaves like! It has a negative thermal coefficient (it increases it's resistance as it cools) like a semiconductor, but the rate of change is really wierd, only changing a small amount over what we believe is a large temperature range.

The forward bias voltage isn't going to vary much over the entire operating range, maybe –2 mV/°C change riding on 600 mV.

A front-end inverting aplifier to adjust gain and offset could be useful, a realtively simple amp could get you an order of magnitude increase in sensitivity.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just to be sure, the way you're obtaining the "resistance" of the diode/device is through measuring the voltage across the suspected diode, and then dividing by the current going through the diode to calculate it, right? As opposed to setting the multimeter probes up, and then switching it to "resistance" mode?

Edit: Wait a second

When you say "device" and when you say "diode", are they the same thing?

All the behaviour that's been described here is geared towards the "diode", but if what you mean by "device" includes all the circuitry around the diode, then that might include the amplifier (probably does, actually) that darkgrue suggested.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Blasted refurbed devices, covered in mysterious doodads added by previous refurbishers...

I'd need to know what you mean by "small amount" and "large temperature range." As mentioned, the voltage across the junction (for a given current) won't vary all the much with temperature...it'll be measurable, but not dramatic.

mcdermott on