As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Birds of Thread

Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm aRegistered User, Disagreeable regular
edited April 2007 in Graphic Violence
I've been thinking of making a Birds of Prey thread for a while, but the book always seemed so...self-contained that there wouldn't be much to discuss in a thread.

However, this interview with Gail Simone shows that the book is about to get fucking crazy, so here's a thread.

For those of you that don't know: Birds of Prey is a team of superhero chicks run by Oracle (Barbara Gordon). It started out as just Oracle and Power Girl, but then they fucked up and Power Girl couldn't save some people so she quit. Then it was Oracle, Huntress, and Black Canary. They became the best of friends and the book became all about girl jokes but guys get it too. Gypsy and Lady Blackhawk eventually got on the team

With issue #100, Black Canary left the team. It doesn't sound like it'd change the book much, just add another girl to the team, but nope! It changed the whole fucking thing! Now there are new teammates, plus heroes that'll be on a per-mission status, etc. The current roster is:

Oracle
Huntress
Gypsy
Lady Blackhawk
Big Barda
Manhunter
Judomaster

Plus you have Misfit causing trouble, so it makes for an awesome book.

Who is Misfit? Misfit is a teenage girl with teleportation powers that dresses like Batgirl. She's no chump with teleporting, either. She can go anywhere. None of that "I have to see where I'm going" shit. She thinks it and she goes there.

So let's bring out our inner (or outer) fags and talk about how such a girl book is awesome

Garlic Bread on

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Manhunter is all upons.

and misfit is awesome.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hi my name is Don.

I am a Birds of Prey fan...and...

I am a male. :|

I fucking love this new roster.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    oh man

Issue #104

they fight/team-up with (I don't know) Secret Six

both teams get a new member

awesome

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ermmm why does the link to the interview lead to a picture of man penis?

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That man looks like Putty from Seinfeld.

If he were naked. Wang all a floppin.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    that is exactly who it is

holy fuck I didn't mean to post that

that was PMed to raijin and jordyn

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    now we know why I like birds of prey

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought putting half a dozen hot superchicks on one team made it a guys book

I mean this is all leading to a lesbian pillow superfight somewhere down the road right

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    No, it leads to them making girl jokes and talking about having cobwebs in their cooters

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Scooter wrote:

I mean this is all leading to a lesbian pillow superfight somewhere down the road right

The funny thing is, The Outsiders has more homosexual innuendo / jokes in a single issue than BoP does in a years worth of issues.

And anything that resembles that in BoP is done in a smart, funny way, rather than make you cringe as you read it.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That Patrick Warburton picture was the greatest thing that happened to me today.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

The funny thing is, The Outsiders has more homosexual innuendo / jokes in a single issue than BoP does in a years worth of issues.

And anything that resembles that in BoP is done in a smart, funny way, rather than make you cringe as you read it.

Yes, but it's awesome when heroes take just as much childish pleasure in making jokes about Barda and her "mega-rod" as we do.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

Yes, but it's awesome when heroes take just as much childish pleasure in making jokes about Barda and her "mega-rod" as we do.

But see, theres a big difference between that, and..

"z0mg Im like so drunk...and kind of horny...ololz."

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want to see some of the lesser known female heroes to be cycled in with each arc, except for Manhunter, who can stay since she has no book anymore.

Lux on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a crush on Zinda.

Ladyblackhawk.PNG

Pretty bird.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    Lux wrote:
    I want to see some of the lesser known female heroes to be cycled in with each arc, except for Manhunter, who can stay since she has no book anymore.

manhunter started back up again like three months ago

Whippy on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chuck Dixon wrote the holy fuck out of Ted Kord (lol Munch is talking about Ted Kord here again lol) so I have to love this book. It only helps that it's also fucking awesome. I think I'll have to buy a complete run of it some day.

Munch on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Lux wrote:

and promptly got canned again

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lux wrote:

Didn't it get canceled again?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lux wrote:

Cancelled after #30.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    what the hell

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    They did say they were bringing it back from the first cancellation with a 5-part story arc.

I guess we just assumed there'd be, you know, stories after it.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It was only supposed to be a 5 issue test/miniseries. Maybe it will come back again, just not right away.

Lux on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    I have a crush on Zinda.

Ladyblackhawk.PNG

Pretty bird.

She could drink anyone under the table, too.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The interview's been updated with scans of the next issue, featuring Mister Bones

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    guyjoguyjo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gail Simone is a genius.
    Everything - especially Birds of Prey - is a total blast to read!
    The last few issues of Birds have been especially good.

guyjo on
    I see sooo many weird things at
    http://comicbookutopia.hqforums.com/
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Love this book so much. I hope Barda and Manhunter stay on permanent-like

Gail says the team's getting a male on the roster soon, too. I wonder who it'll be.

Misfit is pretty great, especially in her first appearance when she was all 'dark dark vengeance' and whatnot. adorable.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [spoiler:41717b2078]I doubt Manhunter's on the team, unless the whole "being in Mexico way past leaving time" is just a ruse to fool Spy Smasher.[/spoiler:41717b2078]

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote:
    [spoiler:2ad3c4b06c]I doubt Manhunter's on the team, unless the whole "being in Mexico way past leaving time" is just a ruse to fool Spy Smasher.[/spoiler:2ad3c4b06c]

I strongly suspect it is one

guyjo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    guyjo wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    [spoiler:a65293bc8d]I doubt Manhunter's on the team, unless the whole "being in Mexico way past leaving time" is just a ruse to fool Spy Smasher.[/spoiler:a65293bc8d]

I strongly suspect it is one

But

[spoiler:a65293bc8d]The preview has Manhunter telling Oracle she was never taking orders from her.[/spoiler:a65293bc8d]

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote:
    But

[spoiler:9064a489f7]The preview has Manhunter telling Oracle she was never taking orders from her.[/spoiler:9064a489f7]

They usually preview the first few pages - that could still be going on for Spy Smasher's benefit...at least I hope so.

guyjo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Nope, Manhunter was working for Mr. Bones

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What's the deal with Oracle

nobody talks to her anymore

I mean, it's cool that she has a team to run

but before, everyone would call her up for help

now she's not in anything but BoP

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    She got the clap.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    she can't tell, though

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    What's the deal with Oracle

nobody talks to her anymore

I mean, it's cool that she has a team to run

but before, everyone would call her up for help

now she's not in anything but BoP

Personally, I hated that period a few years ago where it seemed like Batman stopped being a detective and started just calling up Oracle any time he needed a problem solved. So I was kind of glad to see them drift apart a bit. Still, I would like to see other heroes calling her up from time to time.

Munch on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Let's say I was going to pick up some backissues today. Where do I begin? I've got zero background with the vast majority of DC characters, so going back a few arcs would be good.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wait, she was in the new Blue Beetle book for like two panels in that one issue

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So Gail is leaving BOP soon to be replaced with that Sean Mcneever guy.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hope that the comic books are better than the tv show was.

BTW, are the Birds of Prey timeline supposed to be further into the future, after the current superheroes of today?

Silpheed on