As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[job thread] Laying 15,000 Sq. Feet of Vinyl Tile; Compensation: no pay

AldoAldo Hippo HoorayRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Social Entropy++
Sucking dicks is also a job.

So hey how about we fire this thing up again, because guess what? I want to talk about jobs and the lack of jobs and all the shit we're all wading through to get a job.
Mully wrote:
It's a new job thread! Hooray!

Let's all talk about the jobs we want

The jobs we have

The jobs we might get

The jobs we know we won't get

The skills that companies may want

Resumes!

Cover letters!

golly

And, remember to list your Area, Skills and desired title/job industry so that JoeUser & Nogs can hook you up when they have the time.

Aldo on

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a GED, and am stuck in a dead end job that will never lead anywhere, but honestly it's the best I'm gonna see with no other skills and no higher education of any sort what so ever.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    gonna be honest

I haven't really been looking that hard for a while now

the only jobs available around where I live are burger flipper, 'sales advisor' (cold calling to hawk dodgy insurance to old/foreign people) or getting into a trade

Beasteh on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BYToady wrote: »
    I have a GED, and am stuck in a dead end job that will never lead anywhere, but honestly it's the best I'm gonna see with no other skills and no higher education of any sort what so ever.
    You can always learn new skills, you know. :? Welding, making websites, first aid, fire fighting, music making...loads of other things

Personally, I've been inspired by Mike Rowe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRVdiHu1VCc

Aldo on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I could, and now I've actually got the time to do so. I'm only 29, and I've proven to myself that I can do 80 or more hours of work a week for at least a year.
    I was working my current job and helping my friend care for his ailing mother until she passed away last month. Bone Cancer is the shittiest thing.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Putting off school was the worst idea.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    BYToady wrote: »
    I could, and now I've actually got the time to do so. I'm only 29, and I've proven to myself that I can do 80 or more hours of work a week for at least a year.
    I was working my current job and helping my friend care for his ailing mother until she passed away last month. Bone Cancer is the shittiest thing.
    Woah, good job taking care of her.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've said "screw you" to the job search for a little while and will be taking a shot at a startup. It'll run on Google App Engine, make money through well-placed ads and affiliate links, and cost $0 to operate (unless it takes off and exceeds the free quota, which has been proven to be enough for 5m hits a day with good code). It'll combine three things I like doing: writing stuff, exploring places, and building websites.

It may go nowhere, but "degree and an attempt at starting a business that employed all my skills" looks better on a resume than "degree and diddly squat for a year and a half while looking for a job."

Everyone should try this if your living situation allows for the possibility of not making money for a long time.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    I've said "screw you" to the job search for a little while and will be taking a shot at a startup. It'll run on Google App Engine, make money through well-placed ads and affiliate links, and cost $0 to operate (unless it takes off and exceeds the free quota, which has been proven to be enough for 5m hits a day with good code). It'll combine three things I like doing: writing stuff, exploring places, and building websites.

It may go nowhere, but "degree and an attempt at starting a business that employed all my skills" looks better on a resume than "degree and diddly squat for a year and a half while looking for a job."

Everyone should try this if your living situation allows for the possibility of not making money for a long time.
    What're you gonna sell? Got a website to check out?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aldo wrote: »

What're you gonna sell? Got a website to check out?

It'll be a content site. Some stuff has to happen before I can do the exploring part. D:

However, I was also going to do something that involves selling, but it needs traffic to work. This will (hopefully) serve as a launching point for more sites.

MKR on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Personally, I've been inspired by Mike Rowe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRVdiHu1VCc

very cool video

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't have a job, I'm a moocher.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    toady you are good people
    are you sure you want to do the 80 hour thing though?
    I think you'd be better served investing in some training
    pharm tech, dental assistant, or if you put in more time, you could get an IT certification

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It'll be a content site. Some stuff has to happen before I can do the exploring part. D:

However, I was also going to do something that involves selling, but it needs traffic to work. This will (hopefully) serve as a launching point for more sites.
    Make sure to throw it in your signature and I'll check it out some time.

Aldo on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been looking for people to employ... why are so many people so ill prepared or full of lies?

also fuck you "i only want to freelance" why the fuck are you going to a job interview then?

futility on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been making headway into moving out of my hum-drum Manufacturing Coordinator job and into more of a Project Manager-type position. I've got the support of a number of staff members who have the owner of the company's ear, it's just a matter of proper timing, but I told the company controller that 'If they plan to have me stuck in the Production Dept a year from now, I'm going to start looking elsewhere.'

Also it's super awesome because my current boss has been, in his own way, attempting to sabotage me moving elsewhere in the company. I was told recently that he went to the owner of the company complaining that "Dan has been too busy working on other stuff (stuff that is likely vital to the future growth of the company) when he should be in the office (doing work someone making half what I'm making should do.)"

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are you still with the nonprofit (that was you right?)

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Are you still with the nonprofit (that was you right?)

me? Yes

futility on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's literacy related if I remember correctly right? Who are you looking for?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I still have a bloody headache from yesterday because I had to spray paint some gerberas blue for some simpleton.

"My girlfriend said they come in blue..."
    "Er, no sorry, not naturally!"
    "Oh..."
    "I could spray one I guess.... look, is that okay?"
    "Yeah that's nice. She said they do, she used to do some floristry so she should know they don't haha"
    Yes well she was obviously not a good florist if she didn't know that basic fact "Yeah she probably got confused."

Urgh. And it's getting really cold too.

Liiya on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    liiya the customer is always right especially when they are dead wrong

you learn this in a kitchen very quickly.

p.s. the chef who said he was going to call me back never did!! :rotate:

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh believe me I know.
    "This rose isn't fresh looking, the petals are curling!"
    "... that's how it grows, that's the variety. Its as hard as a rock too."

Bloody hell.

Sorry to hear that Meiss! It's rubbish when you think they will then never phone you to tell you yes or no.

Liiya on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm working this weekend from home cause no one realized till the other day that our twitter app is using Basic Auth instead of OAuth. Basic Auth turns off on Monday. Hope I can fix this.

skettios on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    All I've heard about OAuth is that it's a pain in the butt to implement.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's literacy related if I remember correctly right? Who are you looking for?

It's everything related, but right now I'm looking for people to teach computers/run computer lab & in house php programmer/designer.

futility on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Putting off school was the worst idea.

You're not kidding. I wish I had gone to college right after I got my GED. Now it's been 7 years since then and I keep putting it off. I could easily go to school and take at least a few classes with my current job. I'd love to quit and go full time but I need the insurance.

My wife is considering joining the Navy though, and if she does then I would quit for sure since I'd be on her insurance and I could go full time.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    who's that guy who's only job is to test out resort hotel rooms and pools in australia and he gets paid like, a quillion dollars to do it

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know but if I kill him can I take his job?

Currently waiting on hearing back from one company that sells boring stuff but I can do business reporting there.

Don't have my in-face interview at the job I really want until Sept 8th. But it's right across the street from a gym AND a rowing boathouse that I want to join. I WANT THIS JOB.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All I've heard about OAuth is that it's a pain in the butt to implement.

Ya, I'm having a tough time. Although, I believe it's more the app's fault than OAuth's.
    I have a ghetto solution that I might turn to if things don't look good.
    My main problem is that I'm battling with the app AND with Rails. I'm not nearly as familiar with Rails as I should be for this project.

skettios on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Futility, what's the pay like? :o

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    for which job?

futility on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    futility wrote: »
    for which job?

dick suckin'

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    for which job?

dick suckin'

Wonderful

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I now have a job in flavour research. Something I would have never seen myself doing 3 or so years ago, yet pleasurable & coolily staffed. The commute is the only downside.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    for which job?

teachin computers/running a lab

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I now have a job in flavour research. Something I would have never seen myself doing 3 or so years ago, yet pleasurable & coolily staffed. The commute is the only downside.

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR PEOPLE?

also is this in wales

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

also is this in wales

It's over the border (England), in dare I say "Flavour Country".

I'm sure they are looking for people.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I dunno pip

The job probably requires taste
    8-)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Plenty of tongue would be required.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

also is this in wales

peter this is me being completely serious

I want information if there is room in the test kitchen/flavour research department

also, is it salaried and with benefits?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

also is this in wales

peter this is me being completely serious

I want information if there is room in the test kitchen/flavour research department

also, is it salaried and with benefits?

Ah well, being serious, I jumped in at a chance during a wave of "technical staff" recruitment.

That side is probably closed now. They had four or five positions going, right now the places going in my particular site are accountant and petty management positions. It's part of the Kerry group, a fucking massive flavour company.

I am salaried, but more importantly at my interview they made a huge thing of employee happiness. The interviewer flatout said "An unhappy team is the last thing I want", thinking my qualifications would make me feel unfulfilled. I dodged that nicely, and am now impressed by the value they place in job satisfaction over raw productivity.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
This discussion has been closed.