As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Facebook Virus?

RichyRichy Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got a Facebook chat message. The weird thing is, I never use Facebook chat, and normally leave it offline. What's weirder is, the person was replying to a message that was sent from my account, but which I didn't send.

(Friend's name), Can you plz do me a favor and take thistest real quick http://www.FACE-BOOK-FRIENDS.INFO/ and tell me ur score..

WTF is that? Do I have some kind of Facebook virus? I've tried Googling for this message and found nothing.

Also, I haven't installed any new apps in a very long time. I've checked my app list and there's nothing odd on there.

sig.gif
Richy on

• theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Your friend probably got his account hacked.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    theclam wrote: »
    Then how come I can see the fake-message from me in my chat history?

I checked a half-dozen other contacts at random, and none seemed to have that message.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Richy wrote: »

I checked a half-dozen other contacts at random, and none seemed to have that message.

what is the fake message?

I have been seeing these things recently, they hark back to the old AIM chat viruses that used to go around. Basically don't click on random links people send you unless you know they are actually there.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited August 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »

what is the fake message?

I have been seeing these things recently, they hark back to the old AIM chat viruses that used to go around. Basically don't click on random links people send you unless you know they are actually there.

The fake message sent from my account is the one I had in the OP:
    (Friend's name), Can you plz do me a favor and take thistest real quick http://www.FACE-BOOK-FRIENDS.INFO/ and tell me ur score..

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope you're intelligent enough to not use the actual link in your posts that the virus is spreading.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    edited August 2010
    Derrick wrote: »
    I hope you're intelligent enough to not use the actual link in your posts that the virus is spreading.
    lol, of course I don't.

But my friend replied asking me what the link was because she had clicked it and the page didn't work.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    lol, of course I don't.

But my friend replied asking me what the link was because she had clicked it and the page didn't work.

yeah, you didn't try one of those "install xyz app and get free farmville stuff" or "install whatever and see this thing you might think is interesting" things did you?

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    lol, of course I don't.

yeah, you didn't try one of those "install xyz app and get free farmville stuff" or "install whatever and see this thing you might think is interesting" things did you?
    Or clicked on one of those externally-linking "like" pages?

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited August 2010
    Makershot wrote: »
    lol, of course I don't.

Or clicked on one of those externally-linking "like" pages?

No and no.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Change your password and make sure you remove all apps that have permission to post on your account. I had a virus going around that went to every single one of my friends and told them about some amazing facebook giveaway or some bullshit.

After changing my password and removing almost all apps it seemed to go away.

urahonky on
    edited August 2010
    Dammit, another friend just messaged me to tell me he received a similar message from my account:
    hey (friend's name), I just scored 115 on this quiz http://www.FACE-BOOK-IQ-TEST.INFO/, Tell me what you get

I'm going to try changing my password like urahonky recommended, and remove a bunch of applications.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Someone I never talk to sent me a facebook chat message that was basically the exact same thing. I said I would take the quiz, and then told them I got a score of 90 (I didn't actually click the link), just to see if the person on the other side would respond. They never did.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg