As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic Thread - Monday - 8/30/10

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the thing that consistently cheeses me off is that if I don't have xbox live gold I can't do rudimentary shit like download the latest rosters for madden

THAT IS NOT MULTIPLAYER YOU ASSHOLES

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Or use subscription services like netflix

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    gotta pay to use this service you already pay them for

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what really blows my mind is hulu plus still has ads

ronzo on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Uriel wrote: »
    Xbox live is probably an expensive service to run.

Honestly the cost isn't that bad. They probably still run in the red before MS points purchases.

Didn't they say they made a billion dollars off Xbox Live last year?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    are 360s still sold at a loss?

I'm pretty sure xbox live is the only way microsoft really makes money with the damn thing

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010

I'm pretty sure xbox live is the only way microsoft really makes money with the damn thing

ahahahahaha

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    don't 360s cost like

40 bucks to make?

the internet tells me, at their best, they were losing ~125 on each sale

why don't i buy that

Raneados on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    $40 might be the marginal cost for one more Xbox to roll off the assembly line, but I'd imagine there'd still be massive R&D and QC set-up costs to recoup. Just speculating though.

Butler on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They lost a billion on the red-ring extended warranty alone.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I doubt it. It was sold at a loss years ago, but now the slim one is supposedly made of cheaper components, and they did something to put the RAM, CPU and GPU into one chip.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    LinkdeathLinkdeath Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Speaking as both a Catholic and a gamer, this is probably the most hilarious thing I've seen in a LONG time!

Linkdeath on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    don't 360s cost like

40 bucks to make?

the internet tells me, at their best, they were losing ~125 on each sale

why don't i buy that

manufacturing cost is only a fraction of the cost involved in producing, distributing, and marketing a product
    but yeah, I don't buy that they lose $125/sale

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As an atheist, I'm not getting this at all...

I mean I know the whole burning bush thing, God give Moses the 411 on the hill and all. I'm not getting the exclamation point over the bush. Is it surprised to see him? (In the context of Metal Gear Solid, this makes no sense at all.)

I guess there is an MMO mechanic I'm missing. Having never touched one, I'm guessing that's it.

halkun on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wait, I'm an atheist, can we not play MMO's?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In WoW (and other MMOs) people with a quest for you to do have an exclamation point over their head.

101 on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it wasn't really a religious joke. Just an MMO joke involving religion.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Linkdeath wrote: »
    Speaking as both a Catholic and a gamer, this is probably the most hilarious thing I've seen in a LONG time!
    I agree, as a Catholic also. However, I wonder if anyone is going to complain.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you can't joke about your religion, what can you joke about

Seriously though there is nothing offensive in that comic at all and anybody who complains is just desperately searching for a cross to hang themselves on

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    wait, I'm an atheist, can we not play MMO's?

You get WoW.

Yukira on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was under the impression that the PS3 was the only console that actually lost money for each unit sold, though that may have been bullshit to try and make the outrageous price point seem not so outrageous

Javen on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do I get to smite the wicked sodomites in this?

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the PS3 was the only console that actually lost money for each unit sold, though that may have been bullshit to try and make the outrageous price point seem not so outrageous

No I pretty distinctly remember the 360 being sold at a loss initially

I'm pretty sure though that manufacturing costs and such have lowered to the point where they can turn a profit on it and have been for a few years now

I might be remembering wrong though

Oh maybe I'm thinking of when they started making a profit off the 360 instead of just recouping losses

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I mean WoW in and of itself disproves God so

Butler on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I think the Wii was the only one that started out not as a loss- I remember people were using that to claim that Nintendo had no faith in the system or something dumb like that.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Butler wrote: »
    I mean WoW in and of itself disproves God so

or, of course, proves that god is a dick and as the great prophet Tom Araya foretold, hates us all

L|ama on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Yeah I think the Wii was the only one that started out not as a loss- I remember people were using that to claim that Nintendo had no faith in the system or something dumb like that.

Which is especially silly since it's the same thing they did with the GameCube

IIRC they managed to draw in the most profits in spite of selling the fewest systems

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guy is this a bug? I stabbed Jesus while he was on the cross and I gained Catholic rep! It pushed me into "Sainted"!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know, I respec'd as a White Male Protestant early on since they seemed to get more bonuses

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Linoleum CaesarLinoleum Caesar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JayKaos wrote: »

Dodgey financial data are always used to make some dodgey internet argument (like in in a so called "console war"). You really shouldn't pay them any heed because:
    A. Production costs per unit are completely irrelevant as an indication of the real costs, as has been pointed out.
    B. You really can't trust any of those numbers anyway, wether they turn up on a blog or even when the manufacturer cites them.
    C. They are often used in inane arguments about how much things "should" cost and other such old favourites of the gamer-entitlement genre. Do you think a product is worth x amount to you? If so buy it. If not, don't. You can leave the manufacturer's finances out of it.

Linoleum Caesar on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    As an atheist, I'm not getting this at all...

I mean I know the whole burning bush thing, God give Moses the 411 on the hill and all. I'm not getting the exclamation point over the bush. Is it surprised to see him? (In the context of Metal Gear Solid, this makes no sense at all.)

I guess there is an MMO mechanic I'm missing. Having never touched one, I'm guessing that's it.

As an atheist, I too do not get jokes.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As an atheist, I try not to get too involved in MMOs.

LTM on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a MAJOR CHRISTIAN BACKLASH

it's been a backlash couple of weeks for the pa crew

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    fucking

hilarious

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

ahahahahaha

a "no" would have sufficed, rank n. butts

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a MAJOR CHRISTIAN BACKLASH

it's been a backlash couple of weeks for the pa crew

Considering how the comic has represented Jesus in the past I don't know if any of them read it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

ahahahahaha

a "no" would have sufficed, rank n. butts

ms makes money all over the place

licensing costs just to put out a game on the console makes them a ton of money

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So uhhhh...don't vend in a temple. I was there on a quest the other day and Jesus made an appearance. Dude was PISSED. I got a screenshot.

395a0508e2102544f7b1.jpeg

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. KnowitallMr. Knowitall Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Huzzah! Age of Empire 2 Graphics

Mr. Knowitall on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Uriel wrote: »
    Considering how the comic has represented Jesus in the past I don't know if any of them read it.

You could say the same thing about the dick-wolf concerned.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
This discussion has been closed.