As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Mail issue - nickname transposed

WillethWilleth Registered User regular
It's family tech support time, and I've run into this particular issue that I'm not sure about.

It's an old Powerbook G4, running OSX somethingorother (it's dead with no charger, so I'm afraid I can't get more specific but I imagine it's the stock OS that came with the system). In Mail, the user nickname for the main email account has somehow inherited the nickname for another contact. I can't find that contact in the address book, or an entry for the main sender account, and all the settings in Preferences seem to check out as you'd want.

Her email comes through Gmail on her own domain, but I've checked the Gmail settings and contact lists and it's all empty or correct. I'm sure it's a Mail problem, but I've no idea what it could be.

Any help would be appreciated.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
@gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
Willeth on

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know this is more of a workaround, but what about using Thunderbird instead of Mail? This should solve the problem if the Gmail settings look right.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think that would probably confuse the issue. It needs to feel familiar, not different. Thanks though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do you know the cpu speed of the machine? As that should help determine its age and what OS X version its running, If its Tiger or previous then I don't believe Mail is able to pull nicknames from Address Book anyway so I doubt the problem is there. Leopard (2006 onward) introduced the ability to search by the nickname field.

Cant help you more than that thou sorry. (I guess you have removed and re-added the account and the problem follows?)

Sorry for the edits, just trying to give u a few ideas 'till someone else helps, you could also try removing the mail account from /Library/Mail/ and re-adding, if the problem follows again I would figure it to be more likely pulling that info from somewhere/gmail.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Might be a stupid question...but have you checked the name of the account in Mail.app?

deadlyrhetoric on