As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

employment exam at my state university

zktzkt Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have applied for an office clerk position at my state university and now have an exam scheduled in a few weeks. What should I expect? So far I know there will be a typing test and probably a written and oral exam. This is not for employment yet, but to be considered for employment.

zkt on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    What state?

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Illinois

zkt on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    if they have refused to tell you what the test is going to be about, no one here is going to be able to tell you

expect Word '07 or '10, moderate excell skills, and if they want powerpoint you should be able to bluff your way through the test. Don't expect Access unless they've said it's a requirement.

be relaxed

be friendly

with admin positions, employers want to meet someone they can see working with easily; basic Office skills can be learned in a matter of days

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Basically, be really friendly. I'm sure they have a minimum WPM they're looking for, and some basic skills with the programs mentioned, but once you've met those friendliness and a demonstrated eagerness, not just willingness, to learn will go a looong way from there. A good personality makes up for a lot, even if you don't outscore everyone on the rest.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Since it is a sate university am i right in assuming theres a uniform process when it comes to interviewing/hiring? Since this is an exam and not an interview Im wondering how long Id have to wait after I go in to be updated/offered a position. as of now i havent even spoken to a person yet: just submitted all my info on the Universities job site. The job was listed under continuous, not vacant, but could the fact they are bringing me in for an exam mean there may be vacancies?

zkt on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it costs them literal, actual, dollar money to bring you in for the exam

they would not be doing it if they did not have any vacancies unless they are really stupid business wise

be nice to the exam proctor, they are likely the same person that will conduct the interview if you pass the preliminary testing

remember, they will likely select the top __% of testers to interview. The test is important, but it is probably the smallest part of the interview process.

What I am saying is, quit stressin

MrMonroe on