As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac & Windows Games with Low Requirements

EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This is one of those threads that straddles the G&T/H&A line, but I figured my specificity and the lack of possible discussion would put it here. Here's the situation:

My GF is leaving town soon and will be gone till the end of the year. While she is gone, we would like to continue to play games together. Buying a second wii/360 is a bit ridiculous for only a few months, so we'd prefer to play together on our preexisting computers. Unfortunately, she only owns a PowerBook G4, and I am on a fancy Windows PC. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for cross platform play(as in between Mac and Windows obviously) with relatively low system requirements.

The first games to spring to mind are Blizzard titles, which were released on both Mac and Windows but also have low enough requirements to run on her laptop. Beyond that, and cheap multiplayer flash games, I am at a loss. Steam was recently released for Mac, and games like TF2 with it, but her Powerbook G4 (10.4.11 OS, 1.67 GHz processor, 512 MB SDRAM etc etc) cannot run steam, and I'm also under the impression it is too old/weak to run window's games directly through bootcamp and such.

Any suggestions?

tl;dr: games on both windows and mac that can still be played on a PowerBook G4 10.4.11?

Endaro on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm stretching to go beyond Blizzard games, but not having any luck. The big problem is that a lot of games that would run (Civilization, for example) are incompatible for multiplayer because the developers are fucking lazy.

(She can't run Steam or dual-boot Windows because that depends on running an Intel processor, which the G4 is not.)

admanb on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Marathon? I don't know for sure that it supports cross-platform multiplayer but I'd be surprised if it didn't, and it should run on a G4.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I used to have a Powerbook G4, and play 2v2 games of the original Call of Duty, cross-platform.

Whether you'll be able to find copies of it is another question.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I guess she cant do worms reloaded without steam, but maybe one of the older versions and Hamachi? Call of duty was my college "lets all play a game together!" game, but it was more fun with 2 people teams.

Iruka on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's hard to recommend this because it's pretty mind numbing but Cartoon Network has a browser based MMO called Fusion Fall. It runs on Unity so it's prone to crashes but it's something. And if cartoons are your thing there are a zillion CN characters spread out in the world. Just don't expect anything fantastic in terms of gameplay.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I appreciate the suggestions. I was sure there must be more significant titles than those by Blizzard. It's like some pocket in history of untapped market.

Endaro on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC

The last release for the Mac was free and is for PPC computers. All you need is a Windows XP disc, then she can install that, divert most of the memory to the Windows side, and you guys have access to a lot more games, albeit they will be very old games and rely on software rendering most likely.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember I could play Quake III and Bid for Power (Dragon Ball Z look-a-like mod, if you search hard enough you might even find the DBZ one, if it's something you two like) a couple of years ago, I was using a PC and my cousins were using a G4 Powerbook, so maybe you could look into QIII?

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC

The last release for the Mac was free and is for PPC computers. All you need is a Windows XP disc, then she can install that, divert most of the memory to the Windows side, and you guys have access to a lot more games, albeit they will be very old games and rely on software rendering most likely.

This seems like the best option, really. With computer specs like that, I can't imagine she'd be able to run too many of the newer games, anyway.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember I could play Quake III and Bid for Power (Dragon Ball Z look-a-like mod, if you search hard enough you might even find the DBZ one, if it's something you two like) a couple of years ago, I was using a PC and my cousins were using a G4 Powerbook, so maybe you could look into QIII?

Can a g4 run QuakeLive?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A G4 can run barely anything. It can barely run the internet (Flash anyway).

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    flash doesn't run well on any mac

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*