As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there anywhere for the air to go once it's been forced through the intercooler or is it just left to find its own way out the engine bay? And is changing a plug as problematic as it would appear?

I'm just being nosy because I know you have one, now.

EDIT: Also everybody needs to hear the noise that this thing makes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c66Yju6sDcU
    the implantation of a 2.5 litre, 24 valve, V6 Cosworth engine originally from an Opel German Touring Car in 2000 which made THAT absolutely awesome sound that the car has become famous for

japan on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The throttle body actually faces the firewall.

The right silver tube is going into the throttle body where the IC normally sits. (I'm assuming this engine has a front mount IC)
    130_0901_04_z+2005_subaru_wrx_sti+engine_bay.jpg

No it is not really hard to change spark plugs on it they just aren't on top where they are on most cars. They are on the sides. It being a horizontally opposed engine and all.

WEEEeeeeee
    ej25_rot_assy.gif

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I envy rally drivers because they go more balls to the wall on dirt courses than I would ever do on a road course. That cosworth engine sounded pretty but I also like the sound of what I'm assuming was the dog box tranny.

I would be more willing try try rally if we had something like those Swedish races with the $1,500 cars I was talking about earlier in the thread. Putting a simple roll bar in my miata was a lot of work. I can't imagine how much work it is to put in a whole roll cage.

Edit:
    adytum, I would probably suck too because I wouldn't want to fuck up my car. I would probably be driving at 60% of what I would think would be my full potential. At least with autoX if you fuck up most of the time you are just going to hit some orange cones and thats it.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I envy rally drivers because they go more balls to the wall on dirt courses than I would ever do on a road course. That cosworth engine sounded pretty but I also like the sound of what I'm assuming was the dog box tranny.

I would be more willing try try rally if we had something like those Swedish races with the $1,500 cars I was talking about earlier in the thread. Putting a simple roll bar in my miata was a lot of work. I can't imagine how much work it is to put in a whole roll cage.

that episode of top gear made me want to move to sweden

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yeeeaaaaaa stock suspensions aren't really made to go rallying.

I knew someone down in the Texas subaru club who decided to do a jump off a dirt road and managed to destroy where the struts were connected to the frame of the car.
    >_>
    <_<

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

You don't build your first rally car, you buy it. Most people get something FWD, because they're cheap, plentiful and spares are easily obtained from breakers.

In the UK, at least, there is enough of a rally scene that there are always people selling old works cars in the back of Autosport. A lot of the manufacturers will commission fifty or sixty cars, run a spec vehicle championship for a few years as a marketing exercise by leasing them to competitors looking to make a name for themselves. Then there are also people who pour money into having a car prepared, and sell it on to move on to something else (these are the same kind of people who would otherwise buy a boat, or a holiday cottage in France, or something).

Then the clubs are generally pretty happy for anyone to enter pretty much anything. If there isn't a class for it, they'll make one up.

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    oooooOOooo thanks.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you have interest in rally racing, may I suggest Love the Beast? It's about Eric Bana taking his car and doing some road rally racing.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Here's a good example:

http://www.britishrally.co.uk/classifieds_view.php?id=4691

It's a cheap gravel spec car. The important thing is the MSA log book, because it means the car has been scrutineered and all the safety equipment has passed muster and is up to date. Other than that it is a really common car, but there aren't a lot of them still on the road, so engines, gearboxes, body panels, etc. can all be found in breakers yards.

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    If you have interest in rally racing, may I suggest Love the Beast? It's about Eric Bana taking his car and doing some road rally racing.

Really fun movie except for every time Dr. Phil was in it.

Six on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Six wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Really fun movie except for every time Dr. Phil was in it.

Yeah, the Dr. Phil pop psychology was pretty annoying. The bits with Clarkson and Leno were great though.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You silly, silly gooses and your loose surfaces.

Petit Le Mans is this weekend!

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think it would be fun to go to a local track day, but I know nothing about them.

Six on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy shit the guy driving the Cosworth made that switchback his bitch.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    New rendering of the next M6.

I can dig it:

m6-illo_1035-655x479.jpg

Six on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't like the lower grill. Everything else on that car is pretty awesome looking.

Also it looks like Jalopnik got caught with their pants down. They took up the cause for a guy fighting an illegal tailight ticket. The guy claimed to have stock G8 GT tail lights.....until some Jalop commenters dug this up.
    I took 2 sets of tail lights completely apart, 1 set I had to destroy the back portion while the 2nd set I had to destroy the lens. I then was able to paint the chrome ring in them black! And they look good! I then left the factory red lens in there and installed the LED lamps behind them giving them a 100% factory appearance. I then masked off and painted some raised portions on the inside of the lens but only where they are black from the factory as some was damaged during disassembly. I then put them back together and masked off the upper most portion of the lens and painted it along with a frame of black around the entire outer edge of the lights. The effect darkens them but without covering the actual parts where any of the lights are."

And a picture of his tail lights...

340x.jpg

Those don't look so stock to me.

Apparently due to internet outrage, and the guys lies, the judge relented and canceled the fine.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not sure how I feel about that M6. BMW and Mercedes used to be known for making cars that were timelessly stylized, and now...well not so much.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about that M6. BMW and Mercedes used to be known for making cars that were timelessly stylized, and now...well not so much.

I think anything would be better than the current 6-series/m6. It's timelessly gross, and maybe the worst example of the Bangle Butt besides that first 7-series.

Six on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    These new BMWs/audis are fantastic

sleek as all get out

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why is the m6 so lumpy and fussy looking?

desc on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »

Because the old women who drive them are lumpy and fussy looking.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

Because the old women who drive them are lumpy and fussy looking.

I made an argument to a friend a while ago that the exaggerated creases and sunken-in slab siding and such were a reaction to all the well-off men whose wives get botoxed and whose mistresses get touched up, and that the styling cues all subliminally reflected that overly-worked-on appearance of their womens' faces.

desc on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Six wrote: »
    Fiziks wrote: »

I think anything would be better than the current 6-series/m6. It's timelessly gross, and maybe the worst example of the Bangle Butt besides that first 7-series.

I wonder if they fixed the main problem with the 6 series - that while a 4000 lb weigh in is ok for a sedan, it really is not good for something that is supposed to be a sports coupe.

The M5 fares so well in comparison to the M6, for so much cheaper, that the only reason to ever get an m6 would be if you had some kind of traumatic experience with the rear doors of a car as a child or something.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'd take an M5 over an M6 any day of the week, yeah.

If you're going to seriously consider an M6, there are other cars I think you're more likely to end up in, like a 911 or a Vantage.

Six on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey guys, sweet car thread.
    Got a car question actually, and why make a new thread? Go green and what not. :P

Anyway some of you might have seen the Chevy Small Block thread I had in H/A. I was looking around at potential cars (F body third gen). I was mostly looking for a the 5.0 5 speed (yes I'm probably opting for a 350 but the 5 speeds never came with a 350) I was told a 5 speed from a V6 Camaro won't cut it. But would it be quite easy to swap out the tranny?
    Most of the cars out there are automatics. And yes switching the tranny to a manual there isn't that bad but requires some extra work like cutting holes for the shifter and setting up the clutch.

Dropping a new tranny and engine in a v6 camaro should be cake right? Besides something like buying new engine mounts?

Still very new to this still but I'm learning lots. I'm basically just trying to expand my search. When I see or read that its a V6 I end up just walking off. Be nice to know if some of those are possible candidates.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just watched the Top Gear episode where they go to Florida and are given $1,000 to purchase a vehicle. At one point during their journey, they are treated to some good, old fashion Alabama hospitality.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    I just watched the Top Gear episode where they go to Florida and are given $1,000 to purchase a vehicle. At one point during their journey, they are treated to some good, old fashion Alabama hospitality.
    And Jeremy drove the cheap POS I was looking for. :^:
    The cow was priceless.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The M6 is maybe the ugliest car being sold in America today, and definitely the ugliest car over sixty grand. BMWs since the early 2000s look like they're grown in a tank somewhere on the island of Dr. Moreau.

I didn't know so many of you dudes were 2.5RS guys. That is rad, I used to have one (a black '98, gold wheels goooo). I sold it when I got out of college and upgraded to an A4, then the kid I sold it to wrecked it. What a great car. Hands down the best bad-weather car I've ever driven (and I've driven a lot).

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What's the best sounding car for you guys? Personally I've got to go for the

Alfa 8C

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Best sound car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lzqI7wvZvU&p=90764BBAC4F36EFD&playnext=1&index=50

The sound of the turbos spooling is that last sound you'll hear before your head explodes from the sheer awesomeness of God's voice. This is the closest you'll ever get to hearing God's voice.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I've been driving around recently and noticing more Venza's on the road. I don't get it, it just seems so ugly. It looks remarkably like a squashed mini-van to me.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This is the closest you'll ever get to hearing God's voice.
    "It sounds like the god of thunder.. gargling.. with nails!" - Jeremy Clarkson

Edit: out of all those posted, 8C for sure.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Best sound car?

The sound of the turbos spooling is that last sound you'll hear before your head explodes from the sheer awesomeness of God's voice. This is the closest you'll ever get to hearing God's voice.
    My granddad has a GN that he swapped to true dual exhaust and it does sound amazing. I love that car.

I really like the sound of just about any diesel powered truck, too.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The 426 Hemi in any Dodges of the 70's. That engine roared.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The alfa 8c is so good that it restores my faith in a just and meaningful universe.

Hey Zilo, how do you like the A4?

desc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    CommunistCow on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Best sound car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lzqI7wvZvU&p=90764BBAC4F36EFD&playnext=1&index=50

That is absolutely terrifying. I want one.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART