As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I take that back I wouldn't buy any vehicle that named its AWD system "Freedom Drive" :P

Then again I guess I shouldn't expect much since they already named the car "Patriot."

You Communist.

L Ron Howard on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    maybe if it was named "The Peoples Drive" ?

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yes it is "THE PEOPLE'S DRIVE!"

I can barely stand bullshit marketing terms and that's even before they throw on bullshit patriotism.

AMERICA FUCK YEAH!
    starsstripes-05-front.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    MUSCLE CARS! FUCK YEAH!
    PICKUP TRUCKS! FUCK YEAH!

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Please tell me that's at least a GT, though it would pretty much need to be a Cobra...

...probably a v6. :P

At least they don't put 4-cyl in there any more...

• wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    Honestly, i'd take the ecoboost 4cyl over the old v6 they were using until this year.

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Ecoboost is pretty legit, and I'm not just saying that as a Ford dealer.

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I take that back I wouldn't buy any vehicle that named its AWD system "Freedom Drive" :P

Then again I guess I shouldn't expect much since they already named the car "Patriot."

What if it was called the Comrade and had Totalitarian drive?

Chimera wrote: »

Are you setting up a Yakov Smirnoff joke?

edited May 2012

I would find that equally ridiculous.

Note: see the text under my sig image.

CommunistCow on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'd totally drive the Comrade, now with Totalitarian drive technology!

But I am a man who is easily amused.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    You know it'd just be a rebadged Lada Niva.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've owned American cars all my life. The first car I owned was a '90 Plymouth Voyager with a stick shift. Then a '93 Chevy Beretta. The first car I bought nearly new, on my own, was an '02 Taurus. Then I bought an '07 Focus for the wife when her old Volvo finally kicked the bucket. I've been an American car guy forever, really quite happy with Fords (except their front ends, Jesus Christ...).

Today we went car shopping because my Taurus finally isn't going to pass inspection without more work than the car is worth (floorboards and bodywork make up the majority of it, stupid Vermont winters). Didn't have a ton of money to spend, but we went browsing, looked at a couple Hondas, Fords, Toyotas, and even a Jetta.

We ended up with this:
    Saab.jpg

'07 Saab 9-3 60th anniversary with less than 50k and in absolutely spotless shape. It was well cared for before us, no dents, dings, scratches, just beautiful. And it's probably the most fun I've ever had driving. It's really quick, has a lot of pickup... loves it!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    You know it'd just be a rebadged Lada Niva.
    I would have no problem with that. They're pretty much the only decent thing Lada ever put out :)

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So, is Ecoboost different from regular turbocharging somehow?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So, is Ecoboost different from regular turbocharging somehow?

The ecoboost engines have direct injection, but mostly it seems like a marketing term to describe the fuel economy + power aspect. Beyond the direct injection I think most of the mpg gains are from them being 4 cylinders.

Not really. It's a series of direct injection turbo engines. They use the name because the turbo engines target the mileage of a smaller engine with the power of a larger (4cyl turbo with the power of a NA 6) and because it sounds green.

According to the wiki the ecoboost engines do manage 15-20% more efficiency for the same power of their previous NA engines. So it is greener.

Personally, I'm happy that the culture/economics have changed so that they are offering these engines. I'm sure they could make even more fuel efficient engines but this is a good start.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I am glad someone brought up ecoboost. Because of family shenanagins, I have to buy a ford (we get an insane discount because my grandfather was a dealer way way back, It comes in under factory invoice and you are still eligible for incentives and I think the packages are at cost. dealers dont care that we get it, but they balk at the actual discount because they havent seen anything like it usually). /brag

I was talking with a few car guys who were working through mechanics school, and the ones in the ford program swore by the ecoboost system. they were really impressed with it all around and said that if I were getting a ford, make sure I get the EB engine.

Right now, I am either looking at a fusion, or taurus. only the top model taurus SHO has ecoboost (and its just too much money). My question is do you guys think it will be worth waiting till fall and get the fusion's that will come with the EB engine?

steam_sig.png
    I am glad someone brought up ecoboost. Because of family shenanagins, I have to buy a ford (we get an insane discount because my grandfather was a dealer way way back, It comes in under factory invoice and you are still eligible for incentives and I think the packages are at cost. dealers dont care that we get it, but they balk at the actual discount because they havent seen anything like it usually). /brag

I was talking with a few car guys who were working through mechanics school, and the ones in the ford program swore by the ecoboost system. they were really impressed with it all around and said that if I were getting a ford, make sure I get the EB engine.

Right now, I am either looking at a fusion, or taurus. only the top model taurus SHO has ecoboost (and its just too much money). My question is do you guys think it will be worth waiting till fall and get the fusion's that will come with the EB engine?

Do you need something that large? If not, I'd suggest waiting the same amount of time for the Focus ST that's coming out soon. It really looks like a hoot.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    According to the wiki the ecoboost engines do manage 15-20% more efficiency for the same power of their previous NA engines. So it is greener.

Personally, I'm happy that the culture/economics have changed so that they are offering these engines. I'm sure they could make even more fuel efficient engines but this is a good start.

Doesn't that describe pretty much every turbocharged engine ever? I'm not super familiar with the EPA's mpg testing methodology, but I doubt they get on it enough to really get it spooling. I mean, you do get more power at the high end for similar economy at the low end, but it seems a bit disingenuous to me. I dunno, maybe they are doing something that's bringing real fuel efficiency, but you'd probably find similar differences between similar epa rated na and forced induction engines.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    I'm a Ford dealer. I can help with anything you need.

wmelon wrote: »

Do you need something that large? If not, I'd suggest waiting the same amount of time for the Focus ST that's coming out soon. It really looks like a hoot.

That implies that they ever plan to release it. The Focus ST is a myth at this point. :p

I wanted one, but I could only wait so long. With no sight of it on the horizon, I went elsewhere.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »

That implies that they ever plan to release it. The Focus ST is a myth at this point. :p

I wanted one, but I could only wait so long. With no sight of it on the horizon, I went elsewhere.

You up in The Great White North? The Focus ST builder is up on Fords site now, with prices, dated late 2012 (probably Q3).

iguanacus wrote: »

You up in The Great White North? The Focus ST builder is up on Fords site now, with prices, dated late 2012 (probably Q3).

Pretty sure it's original date was early 2011. I went with a VW anyway, so that ship has sailed. But I do get 55 MPG on my commute in a car with a manual transmission, so that's nice. :D

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited May 2012

Agreed that it's taken way too long to show up, but it is coming. Here's the page on Ford's site ford.com/cars/focus/focusst/.

I did enjoy the base model TDI Golf I tested late last year, I just couldn't justify the 6 grand price increase from the base model petrol version. I ended up going with a Mazda 3 because I couldn't find a gas model Focus Hatchback in a manual within 6 states of me.

wmelon on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I saw a Th!nk City driving home Wednesday. One of these.

Jmf1h.jpg
    The Th!nk City retail price was US$36,495 before any applicable federal and local incentives.[7] However, due to the higher cost of low production, Think USA announced that the price of the first 100 units was US$41,695 before any incentives
    Due to financial difficulties, production of the Th!nk City in Finland was stopped in March 2011, and the company filed for bankruptcy on June 22, 2011, for the fourth time in 20 years.

Gee, you don't say...

QCyZj.jpg

nibXTE7.png
    edited May 2012
    The EV Smartcar is about the same price with a 30 mile shorter range.

I think it probably went bankrupt because producing reliable cheap cars is near impossible with low production numbers. It is even harder when you are working with new technology. Look at the ridiculous shit Tesla has gone through. If it weren't for the US loan they would have gone completely bankrupt by now.

Edit: Hell, the plug in prius is $12k more than the base model prius. Pure electric and plugin hybrids are just not economically competitive yet.

Edit2: Damnit I kinda like the Prius c.

6a00d83451b3c669e2016300ddc273970d-800wi
    53/46mpg for $19-20k

CommunistCow on
    The EV Smartcar is about the same price with a 30 mile shorter range.

I think it probably went bankrupt because producing reliable cheap cars is near impossible with low production numbers. It is even harder when you are working with new technology. Look at the ridiculous shit Tesla has gone through. If it weren't for the US loan they would have gone completely bankrupt by now.

Edit: Hell, the plug in prius is $12k more than the base model prius. Pure electric and plugin hybrids are just not economically competitive yet.

Edit2: Damnit I kinda like the Prius c.

6a00d83451b3c669e2016300ddc273970d-800wi
    53/46mpg for $19-20k

It's so ugly :/

I saw it at the car show and just cringed when I saw the front end.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Eh, I care more about things like car performance or gas mileage than how it looks. Even having said that I don't find the car atrocious or anything.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

You said this before and I couldn't tell if you were/are being facetious or not. I am set either on the sel taurus or the sel fusion. The question is do people think it is worth waiting for the next model fusions to get the EB in a model I can comfortably afford, or not. My parents just bought a fusion, and while I dont want to have the exact same car as them ("omg were car buddiez"), I think I can man up to it. I have driven theirs and I find it a bit claustrophobic inside. I drove a 95 sable until it died 3 months ago, and drive a 99 sable right now borrowed from parents until I can get one bought for myself.

steam_sig.png
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Hey Chimera, is there a minimum number of Ford shares you need to buy to qualify for X-plan? A 2013 5.0 is looking more appealing as the year goes by.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    The Prius-C looks like a perfectly acceptable shitbox. I don't think it looks appreciably better or worse than other cars in its class like the Fit.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Time to pour out some 10w-30. Carroll Shelby died.

nibXTE7.png
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    I bought a subaru legacy the other day. I like. It but it's just a bit underpowered for my ego. I have heard there are some things you kids today with your smartphones and raps can do to make your cars more faster

Is there anything simple that will give it a wee bit more zip

Not a lot. Just a skosh.

I bought a subaru legacy the other day. I like. It but it's just a bit underpowered for my ego. I have heard there are some things you kids today with your smartphones and raps can do to make your cars more faster

Not a lot. Just a skosh.

Turbo or no? Without turbo it generally takes a fair amount of coin to make a difference to the butt-dyno. If you have a turbo, CAI or TIP are normally pretty inexpensive boosts. Never really got into scoobies, but probably some kind of ECU flash or chip would make the most gains on a turbo.

You said this before and I couldn't tell if you were/are being facetious or not. I am set either on the sel taurus or the sel fusion. The question is do people think it is worth waiting for the next model fusions to get the EB in a model I can comfortably afford, or not. My parents just bought a fusion, and while I dont want to have the exact same car as them ("omg were car buddiez"), I think I can man up to it. I have driven theirs and I find it a bit claustrophobic inside. I drove a 95 sable until it died 3 months ago, and drive a 99 sable right now borrowed from parents until I can get one bought for myself.

My opinion is to wait either way at this point. If you like newer model after driving it, great. If not, most dealers will be looking to unload any of the previous models once it hits anyway and probably put yourself in a better negotiating position.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

Not a lot. Just a skosh.

Turbo or no? Without turbo it generally takes a fair amount of coin to make a difference to the butt-dyno. If you have a turbo, CAI or TIP are normally pretty inexpensive boosts. Never really got into scoobies, but probably some kind of ECU flash or chip would make the most gains on a turbo.

Nah, it's the wussiest possible engine trim.

What are cai and tip?