As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    wmelon wrote: »
    you should try one, they're really quite nice. Aside from the Golf R they're the closest thing to a hot hatch we can get in North America. With a strut tower brace add-on (took like 10 minutes to install, so easy) they handle quite well, too.

you mean aside from the mazda3, mazdaspeed3, focus Hatch, focus ST, GTi, fiat 500 abarth, mini cooper s and jcw and volvo c30?

Aside from the fiat 500 they're all about the same weight and equal or more power.

Mazda 3 doesnt count, neither does the Focus, and the Cooper S is pushing it.

I googled JCW and all I got was Juggalo Wrestling so Im gunna say thats out too.

Personally, I think anything with 5 doors automatically isnt a hot hatch, but thats probably just me.

So the most famous hot hatch ever, the Mk1 GTI, isn't a hot hatch then? Was only 3 doors.

JCW is John Cooper Works.

Yeah, the GTi makes the cut since its 1) a performance oriented Golf and 2) under 5 doors.

I think my personal hot hatch requirements are:
    1) under 5 doors (so basically 3 doors only)
    2) under $25,000 (which is a pretty high number IMO)
    3) manual transmission

I'd agree with that.
    Though, I don't really know if a Mini or Juke would really be considered a hatchback, regardless of how many doors they have. The rear door of the Mini isn't really a hatch, and the overall design isn't beveled back. It's a tiny car, for sure. But I don't know about it being a hatch. And the Juke is a Juke. The Mazdaspeed 3 is not a hatch. It has too many doors, though it has the bevel on the rear.
    You know, I just don't know what a hatchback is any more. I guess I'm using some old, antiquated definition.

7301620003_large.jpg

^^^^ dark days indeed. A time when all you had to do was slap a spoiler on an econobox/hatch and maybe a skirt and you could call it a "performance" version.

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Veloster Turbo is a 4 door hatch, actually. Driver, Passenger, Rear Passenger, Rear.

Michelanvalo on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    Veloster Turbo is a 4 door hatch, actually. Driver, Passenger, Rear Passenger, Rear.

Yeah I remembered that right after I posted. Details...

XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    is it just me or doesn't the Veloster look like that one biscuit in grandmas oven that didn't rise properly? You know, the one that everyone avoided 'cause it looked like shit.

• Options
    It's an angle car. From certain angles it looks amazing. From others I feel like juking.. I mean puking.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    This is one of the only coupes/hatchbacks I will consider driving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBBy-4tnWoM

I'm at the age where I want a vehicle that is big, loud, and classy. No more Honda Civics for me.

Slider on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    This is one of the only coupes/hatchbacks I will consider driving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBBy-4tnWoM

I'm at the age where I want a vehicle that is big, loud, and classy. No more Honda Civics for me.

You might want to keep the Honda Civic while your big loud classy car is being repaired.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    meh, I prefer the Daytona California to the standard coupe.

But, if it's a hot hatch you want, Porsche was happy to fill that need back in the late 70's through the early 90's. I have a fairly strong preference for the 944 Turbo S, but deep down I know I really want a '94 928 GTS.

porsche-928-gts-01.jpg

_Porsche_944_Turbo_220hp49420eb2d10eb.jpg

944 Turbo's are also some really nice tuner cars. Just be prepared to become a shade-tree mechanic that specializes in Porsche if you buy one.

• Options
    What do you call that style of hatchback that doesn't end in the abrupt squared off back end? Those Porsches do it, and does the Scion tC. I much prefer the sloping style to say, the look of a Golf where it looks like someone chopped the back end off the car.

• Options
    you mean like this?

BMW_3-Series-Compact--E36--1994_main.jpg

I've always hated BMW for this.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Roll cages are good mmkay? (They only sustained minor injuries)

2012 pikes peak hill climb:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bxcWExWmfI

Photos after the crash:
    http://www.autoblog.com/photos/jeremy-foleys-crashed-mitsubishi-evolution/#photo-5212775/

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    What do you call that style of hatchback that doesn't end in the abrupt squared off back end? Those Porsches do it, and does the Scion tC. I much prefer the sloping style to say, the look of a Golf where it looks like someone chopped the back end off the car.

There's lots of different terms for them, I'm partial to liftback, since it's makes the difference pretty clear. A hatchback opens outward like a hatch and you lift a liftback.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    but... you lift a hatch...

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    krush wrote: »
    but... you lift a hatch...

My bad, I think I was switching around in my head from previous arguments over whether 5 door cars should be called hatchbacks, since the backs open like doors and not hatches.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The most recent Chris Harris on Cars segment on Drive where he compares the GT-86/BRZ/FRS to a 370z and a used Cayman S has me considering cross shopping a used medium mileage Cayman S for around 30-35k with other cars I'd be considering in that price range. Say what you want about VW reliability I've wanted a GTI for years, and a new MK6 with a few things from APR (chip, air intake, and exhaust) puts it in the price range of a used certified pre-owned Cayman S. I'm in no position to afford a new car, nor do I need one, but a few years down the road when I have a better paying job and am in the market for a new car it's always fun to imagine what I'd like to do when that time comes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhLXvxlQR4&list=UU5rBpVgv83gYPZ593XwQUsA&index=1&feature=plcp

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I know "fastback" normally applies to muscle cars but the look is the same.

Like.

21891320013_large.jpg

Stupid TRD sticker aside, this is classed as a hatchback.

2012-hyundai-accent-hatchback-side-view-with-hatch-open.jpg

But so is this Hyundai. And it looks completely different.

So it's like...what the hell do you call the distinction between those two styles of hatchback?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    To my eyes, the Scion is two door coupe while the Hyundai is a compact station wagon/estate. However, both are still arguably hatchbacks with very different body styles.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    My Golf is even steeper than the Hyundai there, it goes more or less straight down from the hinge.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else do a real quick price check on Caymans after watching that video too?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Did anyone else do a real quick price check on Caymans after watching that video too?

Yes, and the ones in my area are $31k+ and a few that are a couple states away are $25k. It is enticing. I've ridden in a few boxters out at AutoX and those were pretty damn fun (at least as a passenger) so I'm guessing this is even better.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    I am NOT a fan of the Cayman. I have always thought it looked like a kit car knockoff 911.

• Options
    Help me find a $5,000 car. I will be using it to commute. I will also be using it to attract the womens. It must not be purple.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    But purple is the color of emperors!

• Options
    I like the Cayman and the Boxster. The rhetoric is always that they're poor man's 911's or girl cars but I think it'd be difficult to find a real person who wouldn't get some enjoyment out of driving either of those cars on a nice mountain road.

• Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    Test drove the Veloster Turbo, the dealership had just gotten one in this morning. Feels really nice, the added horsepower was needed.
    There was even a couple waiting to drive it after me.
    I'll most likely go back to get one in a month or 2...

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Test drove the Veloster Turbo, the dealership had just gotten one in this morning. Feels really nice, the added horsepower was needed.

Yea, I really liked the Veloster Turbo, but it only comes with leather seats, sadly. Total dealbreaker for me :(

I am also crazy.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Yea, I really liked the Veloster Turbo, but it only comes with leather seats, sadly. Total dealbreaker for me :(

I am also crazy.

Sounds like a good excuse to throw in a couple of racing buckets....

• Options
    saltiness wrote: »
    I like the Cayman and the Boxster. The rhetoric is always that they're poor man's 911's or girl cars but I think it'd be difficult to find a real person who wouldn't get some enjoyment out of driving either of those cars on a nice mountain road.

Boxsters are relatively inexpensive, as well.

I found a few decent looking S2000s last night. I told a girl that I was toying with the idea of purchasing one of these cars and she said that either women or gay men drive them. Ugh.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So apparently a significant proportion of the American Car Club of France, including two original Ford GT40s, was aboard the MSC Flaminia which caught fire mid-atlantic and was abandoned.

Not to diminish the tragedy of the event (there were crew killed fighting the fire and lost abandoning the ship), but that's probably two more of the ever-dwindling number of GT40s that can be crossed off the list of them still in existence.

japan on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    We never agree on anything, but I finally managed to convince my wife that this should be our next truck (We have 1 truck and 1 car, practicality and getting around in winter!)

2013-Toyota-Tacoma.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

I found a few decent looking S2000s last night. I told a girl that I was toying with the idea of purchasing one of these cars and she said that either women or gay men drive them. Ugh.

She confused Miata with S2000. But that isn't really surprising since most women can't identify brand logos anyway.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

She confused Miata with S2000. But that isn't really surprising since most women can't identify brand logos anyway.

This we can agree on. S2000 is for manly men who want the smallest roadster with the highest power/weight at the minimum cost. This is completely independent of whether they want to bone other dudes or not.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

This we can agree on. S2000 is for manly men who want the smallest roadster with the highest power/weight at the minimum cost. This is completely independent of whether they want to bone other dudes or not.

BMW Z1, 3 or 6?

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

not sure if serious

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Very serious.

Miata's long standing reputation is that old women and gay men drive them.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular

BMW Z1, 3 or 6?

Aha, I prepared for that: minimizing cost.
    Z1 has a lower power/weight than the Miata and it's a rarer bmw, maintenance would be monstrous.
    There are configurations of the Z3/Z4 that get great power/weight ratios and can be had for equal to or less than the price of the s2000, but you pay big-boy dollars keeping them on the road.
    But with the Honda thanks to ricers gonna rice, there's an over-abundance of inexpensive (thanks to economies of scale and whatnot) aftermarket parts; and thanks to ricers going Too Fast and Too Furious into trees, telephone poles, etc. I'm sure there's no shortage in salvage.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Very serious.

No,
    But that isn't really surprising since most women can't identify brand logos anyway.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Here Gooey, print this, take it up to 10 random women and have them identify the logos. I bet that 3 or fewer of them can correctly identify more than 20 of them.

automakers.png

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    Very serious.

No,
    But that isn't really surprising since most women can't identify brand logos anyway.

Eh, lots of people joke about it, but c'mon, one of the primary sponsors for the MX-5 Cup is Playboy.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The only Miata stereotype I've ever heard was it was the mid life crisis car for dudes who can't afford a Corvette.

nibXTE7.png