As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Firefall] Borderlands, Halo, Tribes, and Starship Troopers Had a Baby

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Man...pretty big issue that turned me off, the one and only quest broke on me. I couldn't go search the burrows or thumper cores.

If it's a round prompt you need to hold E. Square prompts can just be pressed.

Which the game doesn't tell you.

• Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Man...pretty big issue that turned me off, the one and only quest broke on me. I couldn't go search the burrows or thumper cores.

There seems to be a lot the game doesn't tell you. I wonder if there is a noob guide somewhere. The official forums are an unsurprising mess, and I didn't really find one there.

• Options
    I really want to hear what they have planned for PVE content.

I've had pretty fun doing 4-5 light thumper missions straight in a group, but that gets old fast.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

No, that's easy to figure out. In my case there is just no prompt. The objects glow like they should be activateable, but they are not. No prompt, nothing happens when I click them, it's just a situation where I can not progress the quest on my character.

I have very, very, little faith in this game. This is in public beta (not open beta, just public), and it's a fucking mess.

• Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    yeah, the interaction prompts can be pretty buggy. I've even had the ones on the manufacturing terminals take several attempts to show up. Crashed Thumper spots are a giant pile of frustration because of it as well.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    oops

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular

I've had pretty fun doing 4-5 light thumper missions straight in a group, but that gets old fast.

Yeah, same here. As someone whose not interested in the game's PVP, I'm hoping the PVE side of things gets fleshed out enough to encourage me to want to play.

I mean, the feel of the game is fun, but hardly anything new. The main draw for me is honestly the "open world" they created. If they can give me a questing progression that tells me a story while leading me around the open areas not covered by melding, I'd love it. Throw in a couple of dozen more random procedural generated quests (Choosen Patrol, Crashed Thumper, etc) as encouragement/reward to explorers and I'd be set.

• Options
    They do have some story elements out there. I was out scanning for sites down to the southwest, and got close enough to another SIN uplink to get a "quest" to unlock it (except for it being inside the Melding, so I couldn't go there), and the voiceover guys told some local story about a monster in a cave and stuff.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Oh, some more random discoveries:

When you've scanned you get a marker for the site. On the world map the site gets a tooltip that shows what the survey result was, in case you missed or forgot it.

I also noticed that you can select "Claim site" on scan spots from the world map, but I have no idea what that does.

edit: it might prevent people from dropping thumpers in a certain radius of the claimed site or something.

Echo on
  • Options
    Oh, some more random discoveries:

When you've scanned you get a marker for the site. On the world map the site gets a tooltip that shows what the survey result was, in case you missed or forgot it.

I also noticed that you can select "Claim site" on scan spots from the world map, but I have no idea what that does.

edit: it might prevent people from dropping thumpers in a certain radius of the claimed site or something.

All "Claim Site" does is lock that survey marker, making it stay when you scan next. There is no way to prevent other people from stealing a thumper spot right now, unfortunately.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »

Yeah, same here. As someone whose not interested in the game's PVP, I'm hoping the PVE side of things gets fleshed out enough to encourage me to want to play.

The PvE part of this game is pretty lackluster and I would expect it to remain so. I mean, you're basically talking about a PvE version of TF2, which I can't imagine being very much fun. I'll admit that every player has different tastes, but as a primarily PvP player, I'm having a crapton of fun with this game. I'd say that it is actually more fun than TF2 as a shooter. It has a lot of strategic elements, and is extremely rewarding both for good teamwork and for good solo play.

26904.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I know. I'm hoping with time, they'll roll out more and better procedural stuff to help ease the burden of the story writers/devs.

In a sense, I keep looking back at Red Dead Redemption and how it was handed. With RDR you had a giant, gorgeous (albeit mostly empty) open world, that had a story elements bread-crumbing you across the map to different hubs, and then procedural generated random events and activities/achievements to encourage and reward exploring.

Give me that in New Eden and I'm golden.

Edit: Man, the quote button and I are having issues with one another today.

Decoy on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    They plan on having world events like the one shown in the demo video of city being attacked. Also, they said at PAX they are going to have the Chosen actively take over zones if left unchecked so they won't just mill around like they do now. They also mentioned having giant meteors randomly crash down which opens up a "dynamic event" where it lands. There's going to be tons more quests and instanced dungeons, and they are listening and taking player suggestions for future content in the beta forums.

• Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    Do recons become any less totally imba at higher levels in PvP? I'm not that great of a shot, but I'm completely wiping the floor in matches.

sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    I haven't played at all, but I can't help but wonder if they're making a mistake by making this game both PvE and PvP. It sounds like a lot of PvE content is just not ready while PvP is going strong. I know a lot of people will prefer the PvP aspects but I wish they'd make up their minds about what kind of game they are making. In the end, they might not have the resources to do both well, and one or both will suffer.

Someone tell me I'm wrong. I really want this game to be good.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You're wrong, the PvP isn't going strong either!

There's four maps and it seems that people only ever really play one because it lets them farm kills if they're rolling.

It's not all doom and gloom. The game is just really raw at the moment. They seem to have vastly overrepresented exactly how "finished" the game was. If this was a traditional release I wouldn't expect it to be ready until 2013.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Eh, that's it. I officially give up on Firefall. Maybe my expectations are to high, but I am finding a lot of problems that shouldn't have been made it past the in-house beta. Things that make me worry what the game will look like at release, and how problems will be handled. One of the core points is how poorly the engine performs on my machine (able to run Skyrim on Ultra, but this on low stutters like my machine is 10 years old), and how little content there is (Really? You're going to go to public beta with maybe 30 minutes of pve content?). I already have TF2, I don't need another poorly designed version of it.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    I have no idea if it's lag or a silent patch, but last night I was killing and hanging out just fine. Tonight, my engi turrets are dying in under 5 seconds to standard small bugs, and I'm getting hit by them from 15 feet away for 10% of my health a hit. My tiny thumper went down in seconds as well to tiny bugs, not even the big ones.

If it's lag, I don't fully understand the damage difference, only the taking damage from things that appeared to be well out of range of me.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Eh, that's it. I officially give up on Firefall. Maybe my expectations are to high, but I am finding a lot of problems that shouldn't have been made it past the in-house beta. Things that make me worry what the game will look like at release, and how problems will be handled. One of the core points is how poorly the engine performs on my machine (able to run Skyrim on Ultra, but this on low stutters like my machine is 10 years old), and how little content there is (Really? You're going to go to public beta with maybe 30 minutes of pve content?). I already have TF2, I don't need another poorly designed version of it.

Thankfully it's nowhere near being open to the public, and it's a honest-to-glob BETA. Unlike what a lot of other MMO companies call "betas", which are honestly just glorified stress tests/demos.

They only brought PvE content online a couple of weeks ago. Of course there isn't a lot. \

I honestly wish they didn't bring the NDA down yet.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

Thankfully it's nowhere near being open to the public, and it's a honest-to-glob BETA. Unlike what a lot of other MMO companies call "betas", which are honestly just glorified stress tests/demos.

They only brought PvE content online a couple of weeks ago. Of course there isn't a lot. \

I don't even know what to say. I typed up three different replies stating why this is a terrible thing to accept, but none of them really resonated with me. So I'll just try to say this:

The fact that I (and all of us who are "beta testing") this game, and are performing a job that is usually done by a professional tester speaks volumes. It should not be acceptable by anyone who likes good games. I am not qualified to be a tester, and I doubt you are either. I do bet that you and I can go "hey this thing that obviously doesn't work...doesn't work, fix it!", and we can go "you should totally add more content" but we sure as shit can't do as good a job as the people who usually are paid to do this.

The fact that they are using us to actually beta test their game speaks volumes. It also speaks volumes that they were ok dropping the NDA at this stage. I'd really rather this was a stress test/demo.

• Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

I don't even know what to say. I typed up three different replies stating why this is a terrible thing to accept, but none of them really resonated with me. So I'll just try to say this:

The fact that I (and all of us who are "beta testing") this game, and are performing a job that is usually done by a professional tester speaks volumes. It should not be acceptable by anyone who likes good games. I am not qualified to be a tester, and I doubt you are either. I do bet that you and I can go "hey this thing that obviously doesn't work...doesn't work, fix it!", and we can go "you should totally add more content" but we sure as shit can't do as good a job as the people who usually are paid to do this.

The fact that they are using us to actually beta test their game speaks volumes. It also speaks volumes that they were ok dropping the NDA at this stage. I'd really rather this was a stress test/demo.

I definitely agree they shouldn't have dropped the NDA so soon. The game really isn't ready to be shown off to the masses yet.

I do think you're overestimating what "professional testers" do though. They do exactly what you said, they go "This is broken." and put it on a list of things they have found that are broken. They don't do anything beyond that. They have no input into why something is broken or how to fix it in any way. The only difference between you or me and a professional tester is that we don't get paid and we aren't really obligated to fill in bug reports if we don't feel like it.

• Options
    Right, which opens up a lot of issues when you think about it. Which is better: Us being beta testers, or a professional tester who makes his living making sure reports get filed and fixed (they do make sure it gets fixed by re-testing the material in question and filing a new report...we probably wouldn't do that the 10 times it takes)?

That was my point (which it's entirely possible I didn't codify well), we can be testers, that's fine. But we sure as hell aren't going to do as good a job.

• Options
    The advantage Red 5 gets out of us though is that there are a shitload more of us. Sometimes more is better, and testing is one of those times.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sure, we don't do the exhausting testing and report filing that the professional testers do, but public testing is still valuable in a canary-in-the-mineshaft sort of way.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    This is an entirely voluntary process. Some people like to be there at the very beginning and help shape the game. If you don't, that's fine, but this is a perfectly valid way of testing.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    eh? An 8 month long NDA is too short?

I know that they got a ways to go until launch. But they don't have much to lose by letting us talk about it. It is a free to play game. They get customers by people talking about it until they are curious enough to try it.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    So, thanks to Robes I found out that I'm a complete dumbass and was invited to the Firefall beta back in February.

Despite the lack of content still excited to give this a try tonight!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well the newest patch had killed my ability to play but some digging through the beta forums got me back up and running.

This game has a lot of promise and I have fun when I play it and that part of the equation really matters.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Well, my hopes have been dashed. The game won't launch for some reason and I'm too tired to figure out why. Le sigh

• Options
    Well, my hopes have been dashed. The game won't launch for some reason and I'm too tired to figure out why. Le sigh

Are you getting an error message or just a complete CTD when trying to open the launcher?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    One invite to give out!

Robes on
  • Options

Are you getting an error message or just a complete CTD when trying to open the launcher?

Apparently running the program as administrator fixed the problem.

• Options

Cool. Glad to hear you got it working. My issues all came in the form of framerate while trying to figure out my spec's sweetspot. Beta is beta, blah blah. :)

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    One invite to give out!

Just for the first person to ask? Cause if that's the case...

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    One invite to give out!

Yes.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    One invite to give out!

Yes.
    well then I would be very grateful for that guest pass if you would be so generous.

Edit: Thanks muchly mister Robes.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options

Cool. Glad to hear you got it working. My issues all came in the form of framerate while trying to figure out my spec's sweetspot. Beta is beta, blah blah. :)

I am having that problem however. I just chalked it up to beta blues. Its only skippy every now and then.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    This is probably a really dumb question but how do I go about calling down a thumper? I'm doing the quest with the hammer and kinda lost atm

Also, the engineer is by far the coolest class thus far.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    This is probably a really dumb question but how do I go about calling down a thumper? I'm doing the quest with the hammer and kinda lost atm

Also, the engineer is by far the coolest class thus far.
    -Press C to open your calldowns menu
    -use the mousewheel to scroll and left click to select it
    -then press 4 to "use" it

You want to use the scan hammer first to figure out what is in the ground before calling down the thumper.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I would get that far, but the thumper would never actually be deployed

Well, its working now. Weird.

BradicusMaximus on