As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You havta see these! [Movie Suggestions]

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    12 monkies is the movie that convinced me Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt are both good actors

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hated Hard Candy. For a similar reason as Funny Games. There's an annoying bastard who you want to strangle but you're stuck on the other side of the screen and the only other person who could do it for you is tied to a fucking chair.

Three films.
    Christopher Nolan's Following is really cool.
    Following

Martyrs by Pascal Laugier.
    Martyrs

Warner Herzog's Aguirre: The Wrath of God.
    Aguirre: The Wrath of God

I like bleak films.

Also. Stalker is good. It's very slow and quite long but visually it's amazing.

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been slow on the watching the last few months, but here are some of the things I've seen recently that I think are incredible

A Serious Man
    Chop Shop
    Hunger
    World's Greatest Dad

also good is Hump Day but I wouldn't quite rank it with the others. I forget what the genre is called but it's incredibly low budget and has a natural almost improv feel to it though I don't know to what extent if any it was.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, viewed with company.

It was the most laughter-filled two hours of my life, ah to be able to live through that exact same experience again. Mmmm!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's the one, Bigs! Was not expecting a lot of the weirdness like...
    the random animation, but it was cool!
    I thought the choreography was just amazing. And every time something so awesome it couldn't possibly be topped happened, something happened a few minutes later to top it!

I was joking with my buddy while we watched it about how many people must have caught serious wreck during filming. I felt a little bad after the credits!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought the choreography was just amazing. And every time something so awesome it couldn't possibly be topped happened, something happened a few minutes later to top it!

I was joking with my buddy while we watched it about how many people must have caught serious wreck during filming. I felt a little bad after the credits!

I am not gonna lie, I cried a little. But the girl was such a good actress, she pulled off the role fantastically. Also, the special needs guy was insane. When he came on screen my jaw just dropped. Seriously recommend that film to everyone.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Elephant Man for its beautiful B&W photography, and to see Lynch almost retreat wholly into a more classical mode of filmmaking and wildly succeeding at it.

Come and See for one of the most gut-wrenching rides through World War 2 you're likely to ever take.

Blood Wedding for it's enchanting minimalism.

Songs from the Second Floor for its despairing minimalism.

Gim on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh shit!

p_la_haine.jpg

Without a doubt one of the best films I have ever seen, exactly everybody needs to see it.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeeaaaah blood wedding.

also I need to see The Elephant Man

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love threads like this, but they move way too fast for me to get everything out of them. Can you guys make one post per night, please?

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    And I might end up just recommending every movie JGL's ever been in, but if you want even more proof of his acting chops aside from Brick, check out Mysterious Skin. The subject matter makes it hard to watch (it deals with child sexual abuse and how it affects the victims), but goddamn. JGL is a chameleon.

That is one of the most amazing performances ever given on film... but yea, it's brutally hard to watch.

... and yes, the guy who gave us cobra commander is a chameleon.

useless4 on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shane Meadow's masterpiece (although Dead Man's Shoes is good also):

thisisengland.jpg

Aronofsky's masterpiece:

pi5shym2.jpg

And finally a Jacque Audiard film (I haven't seen any of his other films so I can't say if it's better or worse than, apparently The Beat That My Heart Skipped is quite good):

A-Prophet.png

I was going to link trailers for the three but they're all atrocious. Avoid them at all costs!

Isidore on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

I am not gonna lie, I cried a little. But the girl was such a good actress, she pulled off the role fantastically. Also, the special needs guy was insane. When he came on screen my jaw just dropped. Seriously recommend that film to everyone.

Oh god that fight was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Unbelievable!

I felt bad for the stunt guy who ended up in the hospital, but jesus christ that stunt was amazing!
    Where she lands on like three dudes laying between awnings and CRACK!

Oh and the bit where she kicks the ladyboy into the pipe.
    That shit was so raw.

*I really liked This Is England. Surprising little movie.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just recently got back from Get Low, a wonderful little film that will likely go unremembered at awards time. To give little away, it's a film set vaguely in the late 1920s or early 1930s in very rural Kentucky where Robert Duvall plays a hermit who comes to town for the first time in 40 years to announce he's having a wake for himself, but only before he dies, so he can see everyone there and tell the story behind his solitude and seclusion.

A charming and intimate little film that is warm without being overly sincere or sentimental, and despite its often brutal exchanges and revelations. Some fantastic character work is done by all else involved, including veterans Sissy Spacek and Coen's regular Bill Cobbs, but the best is saved for Bill Murray as the shady mortician who serves as party planner for the strange request. He's at his deadpan best.

In a better world, this film would be an award season shoo-in for Duvall, Murray, and whoever the cinematographer was. A beautifully composited and lit film, often using little more than natural light and hearthfire to light the scene.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was just thinking of remaking my foreign films thread, but now it seems kind of redundant. Though a lot of those movies are pretty bad as well, so it might still be worth a go.

Anyway, Chocolate is great and all, but I'd just been going through some Tony Jaa and Donnie Yen movies when I watched it. Everything was in slow motion, so it didn't have nearly the impact it should have. Though the girl's dad was a badass and that saved the movie for me.

For my own recommendations I'm going to go with these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HtZ2M4e_AM

Not perfect, but my favourite Charlie Kaufman movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXzuUJZuqUI

The same sort of theme that underlies Adaptation. Filming the unfilmable and mixing reality with fiction. Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon are the man.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't what my deal is with Adaptation. I love Kaufman, I really like Jonze, and Cage is at his looney best in that film . . . . but I can't get into that film at all.

It feels cold and cynical, like most of Kaufman's work does, but without the heart that saves most of his films from being utterly bleak.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Could be what I enjoy about it. Not nearly as wishy-washy as his other movies, and I'll watch Cage in anything.

For example, Herzog's Bat Lieutenant from last year. Cage owns that movie and makes it about 30x better than it should have been. And it should have been really good.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Synecdoche, New York was an excellent, excellent film. I haven't seen anything else by Kaufman though, and Adaptation looks pretty...

It has Nicholas Cage in. I really, really dislike his 'style'.

Isidore on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Also. Stalker is good. It's very slow and quite long but visually it's amazing.

Definitely this, if you have the patience for it.

Also, while Pi's a good film, I'd say it borrows too much from Eraserhead to be a masterpiece. Aronofsky's done better since.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't what my deal is with Adaptation. I love Kaufman, I really like Jonze, and Cage is at his looney best in that film . . . . but I can't get into that film at all.

It feels cold and cynical, like most of Kaufman's work does, but without the heart that saves most of his films from being utterly bleak.

This is basically exactly how I feel about that movie.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All of Tarkovsky's films were put on his official site recently, I think. I remember seeing it on Metafilter and then never going there.

Stalker and Solaris are really good films.

edit: Yeah I can't find them for the life of me.

Isidore on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

This is basically exactly how I feel about that movie.

There's so much existential doom in Kaufman's work, but there's always that little glimmer within that says "life is the point of life, and we can only guess as to the rest." Except Adaptation is without that message, so there's nothing to hold on to; just wasted lives living pointlessly, waxing and waning at random regardless of merit.

To you others, if you're looking for more Kaufman work, my favorite is still Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, despite the fact it contains a near-lethal dose of Jim Carrey. That film drives home the quintessential Kaufman throughline, that life is nebulous and its meaning only pertinent as a singular experience, but has a man confronting existential oblivion and saying that, if nothing else, he'll live for love. That's awesome.

And yes, Bad Lieutenant is a very good film. But it stars an unhinged Nic Cage, Val Kilmer, Brad Dourif, and Fairuza Balk, directed by one of the most original directors of our day, so it damn well outta be outstanding. But yeah, it's great.

Atomika on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I've been slow on the watching the last few months, but here are some of the things I've seen recently that I think are incredible

A Serious Man
    Chop Shop
    Hunger
    World's Greatest Dad

also good is Hump Day but I wouldn't quite rank it with the others. I forget what the genre is called but it's incredibly low budget and has a natural almost improv feel to it though I don't know to what extent if any it was.

I have to second worlds greatest dad. It was really good. Very engaging. Very entertaining.

On that note, a pretty good indie flick I saw the other day was "How to be a Serial Killer". It is a mockumentary... sort of. And kind of an infomercial too.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/How-to-Be-a-Serial-Killer/70119870?strackid=265dddc6476d4248_0_srl&strkid=839004674_0_0&trkid=222336

check it out if you got netflix.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Isn't Hump Day mumblecore?

Anyway, The Wrestler let me preemptively forgive Mickey Rourke for The Expendables. Which was convenient, because I really like him.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just got done watching Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Val and RDJ work really well as a duo on screen. Although I was expecting more of a drama, it came off more as a comedy with tid bits of emotion. I liked the screenplay and the story made sense most of the time. Decent Story, Good acting, Excellent cinematography. Good film.
    The action scene with RDJ hanging from a coffin, get the fuck out of here.

I've seen pieces of Pi, but not the whole thing. It's kind of blurry to me cause I watched some of it when I was too young to pay attention, so I can't really comment on it.

I saw World's Greatest Dad last term with some floormates in my dorm. Hilarious. All of it is Black and Morbid comedy though so you really have to have a taste for it. However, Robbin Williams pulls it together. I recommend it.

Gonna watch Lost Highway, I'll comment on it when I get back. =o

*edit* Missed that last post about Eternal Sunshine, Freaking love that movie. So good.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Val and RJD work really well as a duo on screen.

This is how I read this part of your post

Sorry

Ronnie+James+Dio+Dead.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Man From Earth.

Such an amazing film, I never thought a bunch of people standing around talking could be this good.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Val and RJD work really well as a duo on screen.

This is how I read this part of your post

Sorry

Ronnie+James+Dio+Dead.jpg

Rest in peace Dio.

No I was talking about Rob downey jr... lol.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    The Man From Earth.

Such an amazing film, I never thought a bunch of people standing around talking could be this good.

I am not gonna lime this because there's no point. You have to imagine it. The most incredible, vivid and bright lime coloured font you've ever seen.

I watched it a while ago and can't remember the names but it was really, really well done. Like, for actors I've never heard of before (seen them elsewhere) they were incredible. Not really sure how I felt about the ending, it felt kinda good and bad at the same time.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Brick is great, but for more JGL chops, (besides Mysterious Skin which I haven't seen), check out "The Lookout." Great movie, great performance.

I didn't care for The Lookout as a movie but damn JGL was fantastic in it (Jeff Daniels was good, too). If I found a blu-ray of it cheap I would pick it up just because of that performance.

Brick is awesome, though. I never would have guessed the kid from 3rd Rock was that good.

I don't think Dark City has been mentioned yet. I really liked the original cut but saw the Director's Cut a few weeks ago and it is even better. What else? Let's go with My Cousin Vinny. Anyone who hasn't seen it is missing out.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    rational vashrational vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The-Lives-of-Others-B000OVLBGC-L.jpg

About a member of the Stasi, the secret police of East Germany before the fall of the wall, and his unknown relationship with a couple of artists. This movie is so insanely good

assassination_of_jesse_james_by_the_coward_robert_ford.jpg

The acting, music, and cinematography in this movie is spectacular

rational vash on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    The Man From Earth.

I agree, that was such an awesome movie, one of my favorites.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God, "The Lives of Others" is amazing.

edit: also, The Man From Earth is on Netflix Instant View right now! Gonna have to check it out.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    There's really no point in even mentioning this film because I don't think there's a single person on Planet Earth who hasn't watched it, but:

princessbride.jpg

Possibly the most appropriately rated movie of all time. One of the few films which lives up to its larger-than-life reputation and remains watchable no matter how old you (or the film) get(s).

And it has my favorite line from any motion picture ever made.

"I want my father back you son of a bitch."

Gives me goosebumps even typing it.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I recommend this movie to everybody:

DarkCity1.jpg

And this, only if you watch the director's cut with the alternate ending:

Nova_C on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I recommend this movie to everybody:

DarkCity1.jpg[/IMG]

And this, only if you watch the director's cut with the alternate ending:

Butterfly effect[/IMG]

I'm not sure which I watched. Can someone spoiler the difference for me?I meant Dark city I guess.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wristcutters: A Love Story. Available free.

Playful movie about a guy who kills himself and ends up in a strange purgatory that is much like the normal world, except it's impossible to smile, and small insignificant miracles often occur (among other things). He befriends a Russian punk rocker and a cute hitchhiker as he looks for his girlfriend who he suspects also ended her own life. Also, Tom Waits plays an angel (of sorts).

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had that Gogol Bordello song stuck in my head for a month.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ThingPoster.jpg

There's my contribution.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Glorious CretinGlorious Cretin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, what's the alternate ending for Dark City? I saw it on IFC some time ago, not sure which version it was. The ending I saw was slightly predictable and a little too cheery for the rest of the movie, if I remember correctly.

Glorious Cretin on