As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post PAX Southern California Get Together

GeogradGeograd Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in PAX Archive
So I know there were a few people there from good ol' SoCal and I thought if there were a few I met, then there is definitely more I didn't meet! So what I want to do is host a post-PAX get together/dinner meet-up somewhere in Orange County (Between LA and San Diego) for all of us SoCal PAX goers, or if you couldn't make it then you can still come to hear all the crazy stories!

What I'd like from you guys is if you could send me an email with your details (What city you are coming from, what days would be best for you, and what times). Mine are Anaheim, Weekends, Dinner would be best.

This way I can get a count of who is coming so I know what kind of gathering to plan! I'm thinking we could just do a meet-up in some game store and order a shit ton of pizza for everyone! What do you think?

Send me all details at geograd7@gmail.com

Check back here for more details!

# of Possible Attendees: 11
Possible Location: Brookhurst Hobbies (http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/Page.cfm?ID=2)
Possible Date and Time: October 23rd from 10am till whenever the store closes.

Lunch will be provided (a ton of pizza and 2 liters)

=======================

October 12th 2010 UPDATE

Alright, so here is the update!

I've gotten a "should be good let me just confirm with my boss" from the guy at Brookhurst Hobbies. The cool thing is that there is an event going on that same day which is a demo for a D&D game called Gamma World. There is already about 11 people signed up and lots of space left. It runs from 10am until 2pm so anyone who wants to come take part needs to RSVP on their meetup group. That will be the main focus before 2pm then we'll play other board games and card games after that.

So for now consider October 23rd the final date. It'll be at 10am for some of you and 2pm for the rest. You can come any time inbetween but probably will have to watch us play Gamma World.

If you would like to join us for Gamma World please sign up here:

http://www.meetup.com/Brookhurst-Gamers/calendar/14759901/?from=list&offset=0

==================================================

Alright, everything has been confirmed. There are a few rules to the store since it is mostly a retail store.

1. Don't be obnoxiously loud. If you want to have a loud conversation with someone take it outside the store. Do not curse or scream.

2. No outside food or drink allowed in the store. I'll order the pizza and we'll have it outside the store then move back in after.

3. Do not disturb customers (obviously).

I'll warn you a few times before asking you to leave the store for a little, when you come back if you don't follow the rules then the store worker will be forced to kick you out of the store. I know none of you want that!

Geograd on

• Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm actually in Irvine for school most of the year, but because of my job I've been up in San Francisco for the summer.

I will be back down in the OC (don't call it that) on the 22nd though, so I'd be interested in doing something. Were you planning something sooner or would that be too late?

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm just gathering times right now so no that won't be too late. I think it might be near the start of October? That way there is plenty of time for people to plan on where and when to meet. Also, this allows for students to get situated again in their school year so they aren't completely stressed.

Geograd on
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm in the San Fernando Valley, along with TimeCruiserMike and squirminator2k (@BenPaddon on twitter)
    I didn't go this year, but still would be fine hanging out with those who did.
    Full class schedule, not really sure when would be a good time for me, but whatever is decided on, I would go by hook or by crook.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm in Los Angeles and I work full time during the weekdays, so weekends are the only times I'm free.

Definitely interested though - always wanted to see what kind of PAers live in this side of California - and plus, maybe we can start talking about who's interested in sharing lodging fees for PAX East? :D

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    LOL I love how everyone ignores the message to email me, but if you want to post your info here then that is fine too!

It will most likely be on a weekend for sure. So far the Medium is around the 5 and 605, so we'll see if we get more people if it shifts.

I know there are some San Diego people who went to PAX so we'll see if they want to join.

Geograd on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Just an update

# of Attendees (so far): 6
    Middle location: around the 5 and 605
    When: Sometime in October on a weekend

Geograd on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    pffft did you really expect people to use e-mail :P

count me in. Like Rogue_hunter i'm in the San Fernando Valley
    Weekends are good for me (except for the first weekend in October and oct 10th)

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah screw e-mailing.

I'm intrigued depending on where the final location is since I'll be coming from Pomona and I don't feel too hot about traffic on the weekends heading into the OC. HOWEVER, if anyone else from the ass-end of LA County wants to carpool, I can make arrangements.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    HHmm okay, so it seems like it might be in the middle of October since one guy isn't available till after the 10th.

So here's an update:

# of people interested: 8
    When: After October 10th, probably around lunch time running till the evening.
    Where: A few possible locations, need to call an confirm

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/ - They have a room in back we can use

Activities: Pizza, board games, card games, chatting, and just having a jovial time.

As an added note. If you have any board games or card games you'd like to bring please post them up here so we can make a decision on what to play.

It'd be fun to get a few board games going.

Geograd on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Geograd wrote: »
    LOL I love how everyone ignores the message to email me, but if you want to post your info here then that is fine too!

It will most likely be on a weekend for sure. So far the Medium is around the 5 and 605, so we'll see if we get more people if it shifts.

I know there are some San Diego people who went to PAX so we'll see if they want to join.
    If everybody e-mailed you, then nobody would post in this thread and it would drop off the front page never to be seen again.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Very true Moe! And then I would have to bump spam the thread and you'd hate me :D

Geograd on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    A friend of mine is also interested in joining (he also went to PAX) so +1 into the list.

Other than that, I also don't mind if anyone wants to host DnD since this PAX was my first time playing it and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If we go to the hobby place I can bring along Munchkin Cthulhu (best version imo). Not to mention the reissue of Betrayal at House on the Hill is supposed to be Oct. 5th. I'm pretty sure that I will be picking that up so we could play that as well.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Awesome. I don't think we'll play D&D as that takes up a lot of time and it requires a lot of prep work to be done and someone who WANTS to DM heh. If you want to play some D&D there is a group on MeetUp that I'm going to be checking out this Sunday at:

http://www.meetup.com/dnd-11/?a=wm1_gn

Bring munchkin along. I love a good competitive munchkin game! And BHH is always a fun time, but I'm not an expert on it so you or someone would have to lead a teaching game :D.

Geograd on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    # of Possible Attendees: 9
    Possible Location: Brookhurst Hobbies
    Possible Date and Time: October 23rd or 24th, from 11am till whenever the story closes.

Lunch will be provided (a ton of pizza and 2 liters)

Post what kind of pizza you like.

Geograd on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    BBQ Chicken!

Arikado on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    meatlovers

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lol alright, looks like people like meat products, anyone for just plain cheese or veggie? (I'm not personally, I like meat lovers).

Geograd on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lol alright, looks like people like meat products, anyone for just plain cheese or veggie? (I'm not personally, I like meat lovers).

My friend can eat chicken/lamb/fish, although he's allergic to pork and beef.

So I guess some chicken or veggie pizza?

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Adonus76Adonus76 RDJ's Boat HouseRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm so down. I will be carpooling with Arikado on this so he totally has me in check! Also I can bring Aye, Dark Overlord as well as Ascension, Chronicles of the Godslayer (and some magic decks since everyone loves some mtg).

Adonus76 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Awesome, I'll be bringing a whole big set of Munchkin and a couple of board games too. I'll also see if my ex-roommates want to join us. We loved playing card games and board games.

Geograd on
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Any pizza works

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    absolutely no fish, vegetable, fruit or fungus toppings. I can't stand that stuff on my pizza

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    O how I wish that Dominoes still had their buffalo chicken pizza. Twas like a magical paradise for my taste buds.

Adonus76 on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm in LA and down. I'd love to do a real play-through of Game of Thrones if anyone's interested.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    I'm in LA and down. I'd love to do a real play-through of Game of Thrones if anyone's interested.

180 minutes game time? hhmm we should be able to fit it in, I'd be interested.

As an update I think we are up to 11 possible people now? That's pretty cool :)

I was thinking it'd be like 5 or 6, if you guys know anyone who didn't go to PAX you can bring them too! Also, if this gets too big I can always rent out the hall of a Knights of Columbus church I know. It can hold up to 150 people and has tables and stuff. I'd just need some money from everyone for the rental.

I doubt it'll get that big though. I think Brookhurst Hobbies is a good spot.

Geograd on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »

180 minutes game time? hhmm we should be able to fit it in, I'd be interested.

As an update I think we are up to 11 possible people now? That's pretty cool :)

I was thinking it'd be like 5 or 6, if you guys know anyone who didn't go to PAX you can bring them too! Also, if this gets too big I can always rent out the hall of a Knights of Columbus church I know. It can hold up to 150 people and has tables and stuff. I'd just need some money from everyone for the rental.

I doubt it'll get that big though. I think Brookhurst Hobbies is a good spot.

I think this group is big enough - if you fit more than 20 people, it's harder to get to know people.

8-11 people seem like a good enough size to get to know everyone.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    In the eternal words of the great 50 Rodriguez Sandoval Cent "Know me you shall or Die trying!"

Adonus76 on
  • Options
    IronhideIronhide Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I`m about 30 minutes south of death valley, but i think is real cool. I`d like to come down and meetup. It`d be great to get a bunch of the so-cal pax train people too.

Ironhide on
    -
    it's a gun not a razor;
    less qq moar pew pew
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How close are you to the Barstow/Victorville area?

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    How close are you to the Barstow/Victorville area?
    About 2 hours

Ironhide on
    -
    it's a gun not a razor;
    less qq moar pew pew
  • Options
    Mr PMSMr PMS Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ironhide wrote: »
    I`m about 30 minutes south of death valley, but i think is real cool. I`d like to come down and meetup. It`d be great to get a bunch of the so-cal pax train people too.

Ridgecrest? If so I feel your horrible, horrible pain.

Also I would totally be down to do this but I move out of SoCal mid October and till then I am swamped getting my shit together for the move.

Mr PMS on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mr PMS wrote: »
    Ridgecrest? If so I feel your horrible, horrible pain.

Close enough. It''s Trona.

Ironhide on
    -
    it's a gun not a razor;
    less qq moar pew pew
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We still looking at a post - Oct. 10th timeframe? Just checking in so this doesn't fall off my radar.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No no, it's Oct 23rd or Oct 24th

I updated the original post. Someone couldn't do it till then, so that's when the best dates were :)

Most likely it'll be on Oct 23rd, I'll confirm this weekend!

Geograd on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey Guess What!!!!!

Back to the Future is getting a limited theatrical re-release on Saturday Oct 23rd at 12:30 pm
    http://www.bttf.com/amc-theatres-goes-back-to-the-future-to-celebrate-25th-anniversary-of-iconic-film-from-universal-pictures.php

I already have my ticket to to see this at the amc burbank 16.

if we can plan around this that would be great, if not I understand and I hope you all have fun.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'll try, but the event will be all day so you can come whenever after the movie. I'll see if Sunday works better.

Geograd on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sunday= bad. Work the next day keeps alot of people from being able to stay all day.

Adonus76 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, that's what I figured.

It will most likely be Oct 23rd. I'm just confirming with Brookhurst Hobbies. It'll be 11AM till whenever they close so it's a good time span for people to arrive.

Geograd on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That sounds good to me. Gives me plenty of time to make arrangements and get my game face on.

Adonus76 on