We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

Two Worlds 2

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guess who just picked this game up? For free. YAY awesome friends.

Also, more interestingly, The Saboteur for FIVE FREAKING POUNDS! God bless checkout errors. And to think I hate going shopping. :D

Big Classy on
    edited March 2011
    Man, this game is really good. It takes a while to get used to the weird floaty movement and the lock-on sstem but once it 'clicks' it feels fantastic. Visually I get a weird grainly look to everything and it seems really jerky in the framerate department. I've put everything down to medium but its still not made a diffference. I get over 30 fps which is fine tbh but it would be nice to get a smoother animation going.

Big Classy on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Man, this game is really good. It takes a while to get used to the weird floaty movement and the lock-on sstem but once it 'clicks' it feels fantastic. Visually I get a weird grainly look to everything and it seems really jerky in the framerate department. I've put everything down to medium but its still not made a diffference. I get over 30 fps which is fine tbh but it would be nice to get a smoother animation going.

Have you got to the savanna island yet? I had iffy framerate on the tutorial island, but once I got to the game proper it ran fine.

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'm on it now. The framerate is better but its still marginally over 30 and the HDR is fucking terrible. ALso, are the Tombs supposed to be this dark? My puny torch hardly lights anything up at all.

Oh and its almost 4 am and I'm fucking loving this game. The inventory is a pain to manage but the crafting is fantastic. Still haven't worked out why my magic is nerfed but eh, I'm running sword and board so its no big thing.

Big Classy on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes, the tombs are supposed to be that dark.

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2011
    I'm hoping Theres a night vision cowl of some sort then. Carrying a torch Kinda scuppers my sword and board plan.

Big Classy on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's nothing to fight in the labyrinths until the main chamber, so don't worry about it.

Alternatively, there is illumination magic that's pretty effective and simple.

hatedinamerica on
    edited March 2011
    I'm guessing ill need a time card for it though, I'll hit the wiki tomorrow and see where I can get one. I've got the hang of magic now, well the basics anyway. Spells aren't all that powerful but I've only put about 10-15 points in willpower and now really upgraded the mage skills too.

Big Classy on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spells become incredibly powerful once you have the cards and skills to use them effectively. ANVILS FOR EVERYONE.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I probably got to put some points into fire mastery before its any good.

I love the writing in this, some of these quests are priceless. The head delivery one especially, its not simply one single quest but expand into something else.

Big Classy on
  • RakkahRakkah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey folks, this game's been taunting me on Steam. I dig my RPGs but I tend to get distracted before I finish them (still haven't wrapped Divinity 2).

So tell me Arcadians - is this game worth full sticker price (50 AUD, roughly 50 USD as well) or should I wait for an inevitable Steam sale?

Rakkah on
    SC2 SEALanguid.619 USLanguid.362 | Steam
    edited March 2011
    I'm enjoying it lots, played maybe 3 hours and have yet to do the first main quest. Honestly, I've not had this much with a new game in forever.

Big Classy on
    edited March 2011
    Rakkah wrote: »
    Hey folks, this game's been taunting me on Steam. I dig my RPGs but I tend to get distracted before I finish them (still haven't wrapped Divinity 2).

So tell me Arcadians - is this game worth full sticker price (50 AUD, roughly 50 USD as well) or should I wait for an inevitable Steam sale?

If you like action oriented open world RPGs, then I would say it's definitely worth it. The magic system alone is.

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2011
    Argh, positive comments by people I don't know on an internet message board, my only weakness!!!!

Okay, bought. I tend to like supporting companies that have ambitions anyways, makes them try harder next time (or so I tell myself when I see my steam games list).

Rakkah on
    edited March 2011
    *checks bank account*

Thanks, Newell!

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, I'm almost not bitter about the game not appearing on the UK steam store. Almost.

Big Classy on
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, I'm almost not bitter about the game not appearing on the UK steam store. Almost.

Heh, I so understand that, that's exactly the kind of thing I'd get hugely irritated about (still haven't bought (or otherwise acquired, yes) AC2 due to the terrible DRM even though I really want to play it. I also won't get AC2.5 until I have played 2.)

I would assume that the UK distribution clusterfuck is probably due to the distributor though, rather than the developer. So at least your (or your friends') money (in part) went to deserving people. :)

Rakkah on
    edited March 2011
    From what I understand they're one and the same. I think.

Big Classy on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tip about magic: the pure illumination spell sucks ass. By default it only lasts 30 seconds (max of 1 minute) and takes a non-zero amount of time to cast. Any spell that provides a lasting effect on you produces the same amount of illumination, and there's a couple that can be boosted to two minutes. So if you want to light up without a torch, pick something that gives you an actual bonus and doesn't fizzle out almost immediately.

Dartboy on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Heh, I so understand that, that's exactly the kind of thing I'd get hugely irritated about (still haven't bought (or otherwise acquired, yes) AC2 due to the terrible DRM even though I really want to play it. I also won't get AC2.5 until I have played 2.)

I would assume that the UK distribution clusterfuck is probably due to the distributor though, rather than the developer. So at least your (or your friends') money (in part) went to deserving people. :)

You know they scaled back that DRM so that it's just an activation check every time you start the game. It's not perfect, and not better than literally any other method that lets you play without an active connection, but at least you don't have to worry about your connection dropping or flagging while you're playing and pausing the game or booting you out.

freakish light on
    edited March 2011
    You know they scaled back that DRM so that it's just an activation check every time you start the game. It's not perfect, and not better than literally any other method that lets you play without an active connection, but at least you don't have to worry about your connection dropping or flagging while you're playing and pausing the game or booting you out.

Sorry to take this thread of topic for a sec, but do you have confirmation of this somewhere? I recalled something like that but google turned up nothing. I can definately handle a single activation check, though it is still annoying, and that'd allow me to play Brotherhood later as well. I'd appreciate it if you could respond here or PM me or whatever. :)

Rakkah on
    edited March 2011
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Tip about magic: the pure illumination spell sucks ass. By default it only lasts 30 seconds (max of 1 minute) and takes a non-zero amount of time to cast. Any spell that provides a lasting effect on you produces the same amount of illumination, and there's a couple that can be boosted to two minutes. So if you want to light up without a torch, pick something that gives you an actual bonus and doesn't fizzle out almost immediately.

This never even crossed my mind. Definitely giving it a shot.

Unfortunately the fourth tomb seems to have borked on me. I got to the centre hall and collected everything but the marker stays there.

Big Classy on
    edited March 2011
    Dartboy wrote: »

This never even crossed my mind. Definitely giving it a shot.

Unfortunately the fourth tomb seems to have borked on me. I got to the centre hall and collected everything but the marker stays there.

Read further back the in the thread for details, but you have to find someone elsewhere in the tomb, then go back to the main chamber. He's a dude just wondering around the halls that you can talk to.

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2011
    its not the guy dying on the floor is it? because I've already done that tomb.

Big Classy on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Sorry to take this thread of topic for a sec, but do you have confirmation of this somewhere? I recalled something like that but google turned up nothing. I can definately handle a single activation check, though it is still annoying, and that'd allow me to play Brotherhood later as well. I'd appreciate it if you could respond here or PM me or whatever. :)

They never made an official announcement, it was kind of a stealth patch.

Tycho talks about it here and the reddit article he links to has this (gigantic) screenshot of someone playing the game while their LAN cable is unplugged.

freakish light on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Tycho talks about it here and the reddit article he links to has this (gigantic) screenshot of someone playing the game while their LAN cable is unplugged.

I can confirm that I've patched my copy of AC 2 and it's only one check now.

I'm thinking about getting back into this game soon, as DA 2 and Torchlight on XBLA have got me in something of an RPG kick. It's crazy that the magic system allows for the creation of so many nigh-useless spells, but that sort of freedom is also a good thing.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited March 2011

No, he's walking around. Or standing in one spot, but he's not that guy, that's the tomb before. He's the archeologist dude the journals have mentioned.

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2011

Thank you freakish light and brynstar - you guys rock! I guess that's yet another purchase on my list then :)

Rakkah on
    edited March 2011

No, he's walking around. Or standing in one spot, but he's not that guy, that's the tomb before. He's the archeologist dude the journals have mentioned.

I managed to complete it without finding that guy, turns out I just has to read the letter I picked up. D'oh

Big Classy on
    edited March 2011

I managed to complete it without finding that guy, turns out I just has to read the letter I picked up. D'oh

It might be the next tomb, then, because you definitely have to talk to that guy.

Sir Carcass on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, apparently it is possible to break the friend in need quest line (irreparably so on consoles). I'm not sure I'm going to restart my game just to do that... but I think I'll be taking a break for a bit now.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, I'm on the tomb where you fight Necris. Fifth tomb I think.

Big Classy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    seabass wrote: »
    So, apparently it is possible to break the friend in need quest line (irreparably so on consoles). I'm not sure I'm going to restart my game just to do that... but I think I'll be taking a break for a bit now.

Can you spoiler tag some details so others can try to avoid it?

DarkPrimus on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    seabass wrote: »

Can you spoiler tag some details so others can try to avoid it?
    After you break the guy out of jail, when you get back to the lady's house, make sure you exhaust all speaking options before you leave, because you will be locked out of that house. If you don't do all the talking, you'll fail to set a quest flag, and be unable to progress the quest to the next stage.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just beat chapter 1 at level 25. I feel like I might be a bit overleveled currently, due to my love of sidequests.

Mr Pink on
    edited April 2011
    Deal of the Day is Two Worlds II for 360 or PS3 for $37.99.

If any of you guys missed out on the K-Mart sale, now's your second chance. I highly recommend the game for ~$40.

DarkPrimus on
    edited April 2011
    Thats a good price. I got stuck in the Labyrinth where you talk to that guy. Can't find my damn way out now.

Big Classy on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thats a good price. I got stuck in the Labyrinth where you talk to that guy. Can't find my damn way out now.

I had to look a few of those up, or use a map and plot out when I had to turn left or right. Most of them, though, have a trick, such as a trail of mice or crates on a particular side of the hallway indicating which direction you should turn next.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited April 2011
    I know the ones before all mostly involved turning right to find the exit. Atleast it seemed to work that way for me. This one doesn't have its entrance/exit on the outside edge though meaning you can't just make a series of similar turns and end up eventually at the exit.

The crates hadn't crossed my mind at all, but there were bodies littered around. I'll definitely give it another bash and see how i fare.

Big Classy on
    edited April 2011
    Bumping this for great justice, and also to pose a question to folks!

That question is: Who here has the 360 version and wants to cheese the multiplayer achievements? Because with the broken combat system it'd be pretty difficult for us to legitimately win all those competitive modes.

DarkPrimus on