As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Traveling advice for clothing (I need a jacket but any other advice would help)

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I am going out of the country for the first time in 5 years. Its not a big deal but I have long since lost the old navy jacket I used and my ex wife used to travel, the arm pocket working well for my passport and ID when in those long lines. So here I am asking for a good jacket to last me through many airports and will help keep me warm but not be a burden while at the same time, having easy access for a few things (wallet, headphones, passport).

Gratzi.

edit: In hindsight, I realize that I haven't gone international in some time and this trip will last a while. Any advice for trips which will be composed of both short and long term destinations?

Packing?
Organizing?
etc.
etc.

RoyceSraphim on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I am going out of the country for the first time in 5 years. Its not a big deal but I have long since lost the old navy jacket I used and my ex wife used to travel, the arm pocket working well for my passport and ID when in those long lines. So here I am asking for a good jacket to last me through many airports and will help keep me warm but not be a burden while at the same time, having easy access for a few things (wallet, headphones, passport).

Gratzi.

You might want to put something about the jacket in the thread title.

Esh on
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    First: Pack lightly. There is nothing that gets old faster than dragging large suitcases around the countryside.

one pair of shorts
    one pair of pants (khakis might be best) and/or one (or two) long skirts (not for you, for your wife.... unless you're into that kind of thing) Some places, churches especially, will not let tourists in if they are wearing shorts.
    a swimsuit
    plenty of socks and underwear
    a dressy shirt
    a couple of non dressy shirts
    a pair of dressy shoes
    a pair of shoes suitable for walking
    maybe a pair of flip-flops if you're planning an going to a beach
    A warm sweater and jacket, depending on where you're going and what time of year)
    pajamas

Toiletries
    laundry powder (or you can try buying it when you get to your destination)
    an extra empty bag for bringing home souvenirs
    an empty bag for dirty laundry
    maybe a large towel for each of you. Can be used as a blanket in a pinch.

If you want to get through security screening with less chance of your wife getting pulled out of line for a one-on-one with TSA, encourage her to wear a bra that does not have an underwire.

Second: get a good guide book. Rick Steve's books are supposed to be useful, and I found Lonely Planet to be a good resource

Third: learn some of the language for the country(ies) you are visiting... at least enough to ask for and understand directions and get to a hospital or the bathroom. It's just good manners.

Have fun!

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Frommer's guide was indispensible in Japan and Guatemala, and Fodor's in Chile. Or another, just take a guide book.

Pack light, then try to remove about half of what you packed. Then repeat twice. Seriously. Pack light. It's awesome.

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ... ... ...

You skimmed over a very important prefix in my post. But your advice will be pursued.

Thx

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Would you be able to get a similar jacket at an army surplus store?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where are you going?

As far as packing, try as much as possible not to dress like the stereotypical American (Shorts, sneakers, sports team jersey, etc.) If everyone where's slacks where you're going, wear slacks. It makes a big difference when you blend in with the crowd, rather than wearing something that screams "American!"

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you're going anywhere more exotic than Canada you're going to stand out no matter what clothing you wear.

But don't make yourself a target.

It would help to know where you're going and what kind of trip it is w/r/t packing advice.

adytum on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where are you going and for how long? Without knowing that I an't suggest anything other than pack light and pack smart. For the 5 months I was in Europe I lived out of a good backpack doing laundry every week. Great decision because I could travel very light and could bring it everywhere. People with multiple suitcases did not have it so well.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    1 country in europe, a city state in the persian gulf, 1 african nation (a peaceful one atm), and maybe India if the ticket does indeed turn out cheaper than a 360 Kinect Pro bundle

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shoot for business casual as typical US dress tends to be more casual then most destinations (beaches excepted). Trainers/sneakers should be avoided unless you specifically need them.

If you're going somewhere chilly, layers (e.g. longsleeve shirt, light sweater, light jacket, hat/scarf) works better then just a big coat. Also if it turns out to be warmer then expected you have more options then.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Business casual? T-shirt, jeans, and nice shoes are appropriate pretty much everywhere in the world.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    FWIW, I wouldn't bother packing shorts regardless of weather, unless you're going to be in beach areas. They're not acceptable wear for men or women in muslim countries and India. You don't say what African nation, but statistically there's a good chance the one you're going to is, so..

Short sleeve shirts are okay, but no sleeveless shirts no matter how hot you look in them.

adytum on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Business casual? T-shirt, jeans, and nice shoes are appropriate pretty much everywhere in the world.

There are certainly a lot of variables involved, but personally I feel like I stick out least when wearing a button-down shirt, non-denim trousers, and shoes that aren't trainers; which seems pretty average for most airports, unless the pre-dominant mode of dress is robes, dashikis, or kurtas. I travel to predominantly urban population centers; I'd probably dress differently if I was hiking through the jungle/bush. YMMV of course.

Djeet on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I also recommend you make up a list of the locations US embassies or consulates in the countries you'll be visiting, and keep that list with you, preferably on your person, in a location separate from your wallet/cash, in case you get hit by a pickpocket or mugged, or somebody walks off with your luggage at the airport.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »
    I also recommend you make up a list of the locations US embassies or consulates in the countries you'll be visiting, and keep that list with you, preferably on your person, in a location separate from your wallet/cash, in case you get hit by a pickpocket or mugged, or somebody walks off with your luggage at the airport.

Good advice. Also, make photocopies of your passport and carry one around with you when you're out on the town- many countries require you have your passport physically on you, however it is a horrible idea to do so, especially in places like India. Leave your passport secured at your hotel / hostel, where you can retrieve it if there's a problem. Take your national drivers license if you need photo/age ID for a club or anything.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ... ... ...

You skimmed over a very important prefix in my post. But your advice will be pursued.

Thx

You are correct. I have no idea what kind of mens' jackets might suit your needs, therefore I skipped to the other travel advice.

I second the Army-navy surplus idea. Local thrift stores may also have appropriate jackets.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ... ... ...

Thx

You are correct. I have no idea what kind of mens' jackets might suit your needs, therefore I skipped to the other travel advice.

I second the Army-navy surplus idea. Local thrift stores may also have appropriate jackets.

I think he was referring to the fact that it's his EX wife :P

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ... ... ...

Thx

I think he was referring to the fact that it's his EX wife :P

Ah-

... Boy, do I feel sheepish!

I guess you can skip the skirts then ^_^

Do you have a digital camera? Unless you are planning on taking your computer with you, a couple extra camera memory cards would be a good idea to take along.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Packing light helped me out but I should have researched the various english words that have different meanings.

It wasn't that I don't like a strip club, any man would, but when my brother and I asked for a dance club, I was thinking club 112 and not the Boom Boom room.

I also discovered that its a common scam for the dancers to order $200 bottles of champagne on your tab. so all the more reason I am glad we didn't go in.

But on the bright side, we found a crazy bacardi event in a park and got a guy to hustle us in. On a whim (and because I could think of anything else to yell over the music), I got him to order us Mohitos and the bartender laughed, told it to most of the people behind the bar and some in front about how he ordered the gay drink.

tl;dr
    Italy Day 1
    Dance club = strip club in Italy

Dancers order $200 bottles on your tab

We hustled our way into the club and I got my brother to order a fruity drink and get laughed at by the staff.

RoyceSraphim on