As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Too much fiber?

Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Every time I am at the grocery I see more and more items with extra fiber this and more fiber that. I am worried that I may be consuming too much and what the risks of that may be. I like my breads, cereals, pop tarts, chips, etc etc. It seems like everything I buy is advertising the awesomeness of the fiber in their product.

What I do for a living:
Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
Liquid Hellz on

• Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Worst case seems to be you'll get a bit constipated and gassy. Make sure you're getting enough fluids. I highly doubt that you'll even reach a point of problem without going out of your way to stuff down fiber.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BoomShake wrote: »
    Worst case seems to be you'll get a bit constipated and gassy. Make sure you're getting enough fluids. I highly doubt that you'll even reach a point of problem without going out of your way to stuff down fiber.

I think you've got this backwards, he believes he's consuming too much, not not enough.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No, he's got it right. Too much fiber can cause constipation and bloating.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    no, too much fiber can wreak a little havoc on your digestion, both in the form of constipation AND diarrhea, as well as some gas and some pain

some people say that getting too much fiber stops the absorption of nutrients, but that's still debated

make sure you're drinking enough water, that'll help lessen any side effects of minor fiber overdose

how many grams of fiber are you getting a day and what's your body like?

Raneados on
  • Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't like too much water, drink a lot of juice and milk though. I have no idea how many grams I am getting because I don't try to track it. I guess I am just paranoid about all the "30% more fiber!" and "extra fiber!" advertising on all the boxes I see. 160lbs, 6'1". Guess what I am wondering is what could be some long term side effects of too much fiber?

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's a couple types of fiber. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Unless it's insoluble fiber you wont notice it. The whole "30% more fiber" thing is a marketing trend. 30% more fiber in something that only has a tiny amount of fiber in it anyway doesn't mean anything.

To get too much fiber you'd probably have to gorge on oats and whole wheat while pounding fiber drinks and supplements. Even then unless it's insoluble fiber, you'd just get some gas.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't like too much water, drink a lot of juice and milk though. I have no idea how many grams I am getting because I don't try to track it. I guess I am just paranoid about all the "30% more fiber!" and "extra fiber!" advertising on all the boxes I see. 160lbs, 6'1". Guess what I am wondering is what could be some long term side effects of too much fiber?

as far as I know, there's nothing that's going to fuck you up from too much fiber

and honestly, fiber is pretty great, you need to seriously eat a LOT of it to even get the small side-effects it has. Remember that nutritional slogan claims on boxes of food are best to be viewed with a VERY suspicious eye.

30% more fiber from something that had 5 grams of fiber is

7 grams

honestly, just go back through all the things you remember eating in a general day, post them all, or look them up yourself online or on the box to see how much fiber they have

Raneados on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

as far as I know, there's nothing that's going to fuck you up from too much fiber

You can actually cause intestinal blockage by eating too much fiber. It's not common, but it can require surgery. So yes, too much fiber can fuck you up.

Really, if you know you're eating a lot of fibre (more than say, 40-50g a day), you want to make a point to start drinking water. If you can't, flavour it. You have to get that moisture in you.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What you're seeing is marketing. You would have to specifically focus on eating a ton of fiber in order to be eating too much (assuming you're American). If you're really concerned, start monitoring the number of grams of fiber you're getting per day via the nutrition facts; odds are, you're not even hitting the FDA recommended value.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If he's eating chips and pop tarts he's not going to get too much fibre.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aye agreed. My nutritionist told me that in order to really have some kind of effect on the body, (in my case, a regimen to lower my cholesterol), you'd have to consume at least 20g of "Dietary Fiber" (you'll see it on the Nutrition Facts, and it'll either be insoluble or soluble fiber. Soluble IIRC is the one that lowers cholesterol) daily to really have any kind of effect on your body. Actually getting 20g is a bit harder than you think!

1 slice of wheat bread? 1-2g depending on the quality
    Cheerios? 1 cup has about 3g, so yeah, 7ish cups of Cheerios to get it...bottoms up!
    1 cup of Oatmeal? about 8 grams if it's just plain Quaker Oats, so about 3 cups to get there...yum...>_<

So yeah, unless you're snarfing down whole loaves of bread, main-lining cheerios or doing the nasty with the Quaker dude, you should be fine, though more fiber daily is generally a good thing, so do try to work it in somehow.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Trillian wrote: »
    If he's eating chips and pop tarts he's not going to get too much fibre.

What the Op is seeing is really just marketing. Many products are no more fiberlicious than they ever were, they're just now including flashy labels that say 'hey, fiber in here!'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You should be getting around 24 grams per day regardless.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It would be hard to get too much fiber unless you're taking fiber supplements (fibercon, metamucil, psylium husk) and overdoing it and/or not supplementing it with enough water.

I wouldn't be too worried about getting too much fiber from highly processed food (sandwich bread, chips, cereals, pop tarts, etc.). Most of these are made with highly refined flours where the fiber-containing bran/husk have been removed from the grains. And then they just add some back to inrease the fiber content of their re-formulated "high-fiber" product.

If you're worried about what you're eating you'd be better off looking into not eating so much processed foodstuffs (anything sold in a sealed bag and has an ingredient list that includes a lot of chemicals instead of food) rather then be concerned about additional fiber in those foodstuffs.

Djeet on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't believe a comic edit is relevant to this thread:

enccomics2.jpg?t=1284411794

Seriously, man. Don't worry about fiber and such. Eat generally healthy, exercise regularly, and you'll be fine. Fiber is the new "Low Fat" or "Whole Grain" trend. Everything is listing fiber to show that it's healthy. The fiber has always been there, they just didn't advertise it because it wasn't a buzz word.

Enc on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My roommate's girlfriend pawned off her 'diet system' food from Nutrisystem because she didn't like it. So he had a whole box of food. He ate nothing but it for a few weeks and I noticed each item had a LOT of fiber if that is all you were eating. Maybe 30-40% of your daily value in each thing. Plus it was small portions for weight loss so he'd eat more than one.

Eventually, he stopped pooping. And he goes multiple times a day normally I learned. I'm like a few times a week type of guy so I was all 'what's the big deal?' and then... a week.... week and a half... almost two weeks and he was growing desperate.

Dark times, my friends. Dark times, indeed. So yeah, it is my experience that you can get too much fiber.

OnTheLastCastle on