As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problem with brand new 5770. Black screen, looping sound from games.

ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
brand new Sapphire 5770.

Every time I try to play a game I can play for a few seconds to a minute before I get a black screen and looping sound like the card overheated and shut down

I'm very familiar with the scenario because thats what my 4850 did before it killed my old computer, But the GPU-Z log shows that the temp never went above 70c before it crashed, and I see no LED lighting up to show overheat protection, if the 5770 even has such a LED/indicator.

Computer was fresh built today, So system is clean and drivers are up to date and clean installed.

Should I RMA this thing or is this something that I'm missing?

edit
its definitely not a heat issue, I just tried it again while it was early and cold and temps never went above 45c during the game and it still black screened. That pretty much means the cards dead doesnt it?

Buttcleft on

• Options
    GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do you have enough power supply to push the card? I have that one and although it requires a 450 watt power supply you may have to use a 500 watt or more if you have more than the average number of power hungry components.

Greenish on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I'd say verify your power, just in case, then RMA

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'e got an OCZ Modstream 600watt, its got enough juice to run this card.

if I got to return it should i ship it back to the place I bought it or just deal with Sapphire directly

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ok I am positive the card is crapping out because it thinks its over heating.

cause when I manually set the fan at 100% I was able to play the game far far longer than I could with it on auto.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what game were you playing?

mine will do it with Borderlands and sometimes mass effect

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mts wrote: »